Guess What I Finally Got ....... Nitrous!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002 | 05:39 AM
Banned

SiGGy:
Actually that's what the Holley brand acronym NOS stands for...so other companies are not allowed to use it...just to clarify. But it is splitting hairs...I haven't seen other companies use it because they would get sued.

I don't profess to being a nitrous expert...I have helped install 2 systems, and I have done a lot of research on them, all the way back to the original MILSPEC, so I do know about their theory, design, an implementation to some extent. But, as with anything...I'm definitely no expert.

I think this wet vs. dry thing can be summed up easily. Dry systems and wet systems are both good when run correctly...with dry systems you don't have so much control over the air/fuel ratio, while with wet systems you risk backfiring and pooling. But, if both are run correctly, from talking to both Holley and NX people wet systems are better. I also seem to remember hearing that fuel pooling with our engines has a very low probability of happening...but I see no point arguing which is better...most of the argument on both sides is just pointing out possible problems with the other, and there could easily be problems on either side.

Juker008:
Sent you a PM...

Austin519
Old 08-30-2002 | 07:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Austin519
But, if both are run correctly, from talking to both Holley and NX people wet systems are better.
In addition, it should be pointed out that a direct port wet system, where there are nozzles in each runner, typically produces more power and alleviates the issues of pooling since you are inches from the valve.

But of course, this is a more costly implementation.
Old 08-30-2002 | 09:12 AM
Xe- For Better Hwy Vision

Originally posted by scalbert

In addition, it should be pointed out that a direct port wet system, where there are nozzles in each runner, typically produces more power and alleviates the issues of pooling since you are inches from the valve.

But of course, this is a more costly implementation.

Research, research, research! You have said this Scalbert, in many posts here on the board.

I really think most people don't understand basic mechanics and then go and install NO2 systems and other mods- ultimately blowing the motor then asking "what went wrong" not having a clue why.

Personally I think installing a wet or dry system in our J32's
is asked for some trouble. I would personally consider doing a more costly SC setup in lieu of spraying in the 6sp only.

Old 08-30-2002 | 09:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by xenon7
I would personally consider doing a more costly SC setup in lieu of spraying in the 6sp only.
I am in absolute agreement. Although the power gains and costs of nitrous is attractive, I like having that power all of the time. Nitrous is worthless on a road course or serious back road driving which makes it unattractive to me.

Come November I will be getting an early Christmas present for myself, a new Comptech blower...
Old 08-30-2002 | 09:32 AM

Sounds like a good plan to me!

Might be starting a new project of my own here as soon as I set up the new shop in the house in Oct. It will not be on the CLS, but I figure I can have the same amount of fun and challenge on a less costly car!

Old 08-31-2002 | 12:44 AM
Banned

xenon7 and scalbert:
Ah...but maybe some don't want the loss of mpg? Maybe some want a go button for racing only. And xenon7, I really don't think us autos have to worry about our engines...we'd have to worry about our TC's before that. Even so, I doubt the J32's will throw a rod, they are built pretty damn well by HOA.

Austin519
Old 08-31-2002 | 01:09 AM
TRELOS

Ok now lets see if we can build a project out of this for some of us that would like to use nitrous? Here it would be perfect because we have both the pros and cons/do-s and dont's-s.

So if someone were to decide to go the nitrous route what would u recomend that person do. In reguards to wet and dry systems. A dry system would consist of a nozle drilled into say the CAI and sprayed directly into the intake. Now from what I've been reading in this post is that the ECU can't determine the correct amount of air that is being injested so it goes to full rich, which is good or bad? If it is bad is it because there is a chance that there is still not enough of fuel going to the engine?

As for a wet system. A wet system adds nitrous and fuel into each cylinder evenly? Well what controls the proper amount of fuel that needs to be delivered? Now is there a dry system that supplies only nitrous to each cylinder evenly, but allowing the ECU to cover the fueling task? If so would that type of setup be a bad idea? Meaning that there is probably no way of letting the ECU know how much extra nitrous/oxygen is beening delivered to the engine?

Tnx

Juker008
Old 08-31-2002 | 06:22 AM

xenon7 and scalbert:
Ah...but maybe some don't want the loss of mpg? Maybe some want a go button for racing only. And xenon7, I really don't think us autos have to worry about our engines...we'd have to worry about our TC's before that. Even so, I doubt the J32's will throw a rod, they are built pretty damn well by HOA.

Austin519

To each their own, i'm just not a fan of NO2 in terms of street use. However, for a contemp lux. car with 10:5 : 1 compression and our unique dual stage intake, anything I strap on to increase head pressure will have me thinking a little bit more.

Any "major" upgrades are going to required a certain amount of supplementy upgrades to operate correctly, i.e. TC, fuel, elec., etc.
and I believe our engines could handle these changes.

I don't think its determined that the TC is the cause of the 5sp auto tranny failures. I think its more about lack of QC in assembly or parts purchase for a certain # of these things that went out of Japan and we are now seeing the mathmatical percentages.

I still like driving the car when its all said and done!

Old 08-31-2002 | 08:37 AM
Suzuka Master

xenon7 and scalbert:
Ah...but maybe some don't want the loss of mpg? Maybe some want a go button for racing only.
And that is a good point, although most blowers minimally affect mileage. The loss of mileage occurs because of dipping into it a bit too much...

It is all about the individual desires. I prefer back roads or mountain driving where nitrous is useless. Nitrous is great for running on the strip or the occasional stop light confrontation. But it certainly has its limitation; when the bottle is empty you are back to square one...
Old 08-31-2002 | 04:14 PM
TRELOS

OK but how stressful is it to run headers, intake & exhaust, and a 75 shot of nitrous? Would that be considered pushing it or with just those parameters it would seem to the engine as nothing.

Tnx

Juker008
Old 08-31-2002 | 10:13 PM
Banned

xenon7:
Actually I can tell you what fails (or what two regional managers told me). They said it was the bearing material...sometimes it comes loose and tears everything up, sometimes not. As a result...bad trannies were unpredictable. I just used the TC as an example

Juker008:
As I said above...tranny failure is at best difficult to profile, and at worst random...so it may be tough to say what too much is...it's more of a car by car basis...

Austin519
Old 08-31-2002 | 11:04 PM
TRELOS

Oh no I have no concern about the tranny frankly I hoping that on the 1st shot I blow 2nd right out the back. If I blow the tranny Acura will replace it due to all teh trannies that have gone and are going. What I am mostly concerned about is the engine. I don't want bent valves, roasted pistons, and cams flying through my hood.

Juker008
Old 09-01-2002 | 04:08 AM
Banned

Juker008:
I seriously doubt that will happen with even a 75 shot of nos...or 100. You really should be fine.

Austin519
Old 09-01-2002 | 10:21 AM
TRELOS

Even if I am pushing headers, pulleys, exhaust, and possibly VTEC controler?

Oh did u get my private message?

Juker008
Old 09-01-2002 | 05:33 PM
Banned

Juker008:
I did get it any replied...and yeah pulleys don't cause stress on the engine, nor does exhaust. The only things that would change the engine characteristics are the headers and the VTEC controller. So yeah I think you'd be fine.

Austin519
Old 09-01-2002 | 10:58 PM
TRELOS

Juker008:
I did get it any replied...and yeah pulleys don't cause stress on the engine, nor does exhaust. The only things that would change the engine characteristics are the headers and the VTEC controller. So yeah I think you'd be fine.

Austin519
U never got my EM. Shit I sent u a LONGGGG EM. PLZ tell me u got it.

Now about changing the characteristics of the engine with the headers how would it do so?

I can understand how a VTEC controler would do it. But about doing so would it be stressful on the engine to have the VTEC activate at 3K? How about 2K?

Tnx

Juker008
Old 09-02-2002 | 07:04 AM
Banned

Juker008:
I did get your email, it's sitting in my inbox (got it late aug 31)...haven't had a chance to form a worthy reply...I will tomorrow.

Some of this is out of my league man...headers are freer flowing and so reduce some of the backpressure the engine feels. This will change the engine characteristics...how I am not sure.

The VTEC obviously changes the characteristics...but again I'm not sure if it will hurt it or not. That's something that long term testing would have to determine. I was just identifying what on your list you should even be concerned about.

Austin519