GTech Pro Competition Reviews HERE

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 05:07 PM
TRELOS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GTech Pro Competition Reviews HERE

I just got to test out my friend's Volvo 850 Turbo. And from what he tells me is that this thing is FKin accurate. 1st run he dynoed 193 hp to the wheels and the 2nd run dynoed 189hp. He told me that other 850Ts on his forum have dynoed 195hp . So to be off by 2 hp seems pretty good, well at least for the 1st run. We should have done a 3rd run and taken the average value of the three, but 3 bike pigs showed up.

The dyno graph was AWESOME, all the graphs are awesome.

So let me ask all u others that have the GTech Pro Competition. How close to ur dyno results does the GTech Pro come? I know what my car does but unfortunatly it is out of comission, TRANNY , on the day that I got the GTech Pro.

Juker008
Old 01-12-2003, 09:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds cool. I have the 1st gen Gtech. When are you getting your car back?
Old 01-13-2003, 01:05 AM
TRELOS

GTech 1st Gen FKin SUCKS u an I both know that. Any small bump in the road FKs up the reading.

As far as getting the car back not anytime soon.

Juker008
Old 01-13-2003, 09:44 AM
Senior Moderator

mine has been flawless. smooth roads
Old 01-13-2003, 04:46 PM
Racer

No problemo with my GTech! Corallates with track ET closely but mph is way high.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:29 AM
TRELOS

Guys are we all talking about the GTech Pro "Competition" or are we all talking about the one before that. The 1st GTech that came out was nothing more than an expensive paper weight with a cord on the end.

Juker008
Old 01-14-2003, 12:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Juker008
Guys are we all talking about the GTech Pro "Competition" or are we all talking about the one before that. The 1st GTech that came out was nothing more than an expensive paper weight with a cord on the end.

Juker008
I own both, you have no idea what your saying. Both are just as accurate as one another. And the "competition" is waste of money if you only need 1/4 mile time and HP calculations.

The competition is for complete testing on a closed circuit track.

1-st gen is just as accurate, just doesn't have the fancy screen and the lateral testing RPM gauge.

Pager weight ....... don't need to justify your purchase by calling the cheaper model a piece of junk. It's not, works great too and is over $100 cheaper.

The competition unit has it's problems as well. high MPH in 1/4, inaccurate RPM readings on certain vehicles, suction cup doesn't always hold in chilly weather. No instant HP mode.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:16 AM
TRELOS

Originally posted by SiGGy
I own both, you have no idea what your saying. Both are just as accurate as one another. And the "competition" is waste of money if you only need 1/4 mile time and HP calculations.

The competition is for complete testing on a closed circuit track.

1-st gen is just as accurate, just doesn't have the fancy screen and the lateral testing RPM gauge.

Pager weight ....... don't need to justify your purchase by calling the cheaper model a piece of junk. It's not, works great too and is over $100 cheaper.

The competition unit has it's problems as well. high MPH in 1/4, inaccurate RPM readings on certain vehicles, suction cup doesn't always hold in chilly weather. No instant HP mode.

WOA WOA WOA. I have the 1st one and tested it out at the track plenty of times. 4 runs in one night 2 stock and 2 on the bottle. 1st two runs were in the range of 14.9-15.0, and what did the GTech tell me I did 13.2 and something like a 13.8 . OOOOOH PLZ and don't tell me that I didn't have the thing leveled, I know I did, I have used that thing pleny of times. And man u don't even want to know what I did on the bottle, a 13.7 and the GTech read 12.2 . Come on man have u ever tried to do a 60'-0 braking, geee why does it read 1000'+ . Come on Ziggy man look at my post u know me and u know that I don't BS.

But u know what, I can't truly validate the accuracy of the GTech Pro Competition, because I con't have my car. I know what my car does stock to the wheels and what it does on the 1/4 and it is very consistant. Untill I get my car back on the road then I will boast my opinion based on my car.

But as for the 1st Gtech model, small imperfections in the road, bumps, slight steering wheel input all play a factor in its reading.

So enuf said...sry man but I am sticking to my guns :P .

Juker008
Old 01-14-2003, 01:21 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Juker008
WOA WOA WOA. I have the 1st one and tested it out at the track plenty of times. 4 runs in one night 2 stock and 2 on the bottle. 1st two runs were in the range of 14.9-15.0, and what did the GTech tell me I did 13.2 and something like a 13.8 . OOOOOH PLZ and don't tell me that I didn't have the thing leveled, I know I did, I have used that thing pleny of times. And man u don't even want to know what I did on the bottle, a 13.7 and the GTech read 12.2 . Come on man have u ever tried to do a 60'-0 braking, geee why does it read 1000'+ . Come on Ziggy man look at my post u know me and u know that I don't BS.

But u know what, I can't truly validate the accuracy of the GTech Pro Competition, because I con't have my car. I know what my car does stock to the wheels and what it does on the 1/4 and it is very consistant. Untill I get my car back on the road then I will boast my opinion based on my car.

But as for the 1st Gtech model, small imperfections in the road, bumps, slight steering wheel input all play a factor in its reading.

So enuf said...sry man but I am sticking to my guns :P .

Juker008
I know your not BS'n. But there's no reason to knock the 1st gen unit. It was just as accurate for me as the Competition. Maybe you had a bad one? (well in your case, maybe it did suck) Also finding a flat road is critical. (no hills/elevation changes)

I've had just as many misreadings on the competition. Made at least 40-50 passes with it in many different vehicles now... had a 12.2 second run in a 4cyl dodge avenger... Then a 16.2 second run... (which was accurate)

Ya, I don't mean to step on ya. But the 1st gen has been just as good for me as the 2nd. But the screen/features of the second make it a much cooler unit.

Sorry If I was buggin, I should have worded that differently... my bad.
Old 01-14-2003, 02:39 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys listen... you should not fight that the first Gtech Pro is BS and the second is the THE THING!

Here are the facts:

Gtech Pro:
1) Has 1 Accelerometer.
2) Cannot compenstate for road incline, up /down movement nor lateral movemet.
3) The display and user interface are pre-historic... maybe IBM would design such unit in 1950. (Reason why I did not buy this model..)
4) Leveling the thing is difficult at best... user setup and road imperfection account for 80% of the innacuracy of the unit.
5) limited set of featured and functions.

Gtech Competition:
1) Has 3 Accelerometer.
2) Can compenstate for road incline, up /down movement can compute lateral acceleration.
3) The dispaly and user interface kick ass... even it can read rpms.
4) Leveling the thing is easy...
5) Support multiple cars.
6) tons of features.

Finally, the "Competition" is not perfect either.. the V. 1.0 showed 1s difference in 1/4 mile check yahoo gtech groups for the disscusions... V 2.0 of Gtech Competition should correct that..
Old 01-14-2003, 06:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
Guys listen... you should not fight that the first Gtech Pro is BS and the second is the THE THING!

Here are the facts:

Gtech Pro:
1) Has 1 Accelerometer.
2) Cannot compenstate for road incline, up /down movement nor lateral movemet.
3) The display and user interface are pre-historic... maybe IBM would design such unit in 1950. (Reason why I did not buy this model..)
4) Leveling the thing is difficult at best... user setup and road imperfection account for 80% of the innacuracy of the unit.
5) limited set of featured and functions.

Gtech Competition:
1) Has 3 Accelerometer.
2) Can compenstate for road incline, up /down movement can compute lateral acceleration.
3) The dispaly and user interface kick ass... even it can read rpms.
4) Leveling the thing is easy...
5) Support multiple cars.
6) tons of features.

Finally, the "Competition" is not perfect either.. the V. 1.0 showed 1s difference in 1/4 mile check yahoo gtech groups for the disscusions... V 2.0 of Gtech Competition should correct that..

Even with the 3 accelerometers in the new unit, it will have problems with bumps. An accelerometer that would correct for any and all perturbations in all axes would have 3 accelerometers and 3 rate sensors. The Comp Pro does NOT have 3 rate sensors. If you hit a bump, the system is going to have trouble figuring out the forward acceleration. There are some “filtering” algorithms that can “help”, but the only way to fully qualify and eliminate the error is with differential accelerometers or a system with 6 sensors (3 acceleration + 3 rate)

Keep the unit on a “flat” road – this goes for the new unit as well…

An application note: http://www.xbow.com/Support/Support_...IMUAppNote.pdf
Old 01-14-2003, 08:30 PM
Racer

To keep my Volvo pride, I was running that day without my boost controller set!! So, volvo owners, these are near stock numbers!! Don't flame me!

Trelos and I tried the two one after the other and we came up with a 15.019 with the G-Tech competition pro (pretty close to what I usually run) and then with the G-Tech (1st version) we came up with an astounding 13.4 (I WISH :P)... just my .02 cents Also, the steering wheel input (in my case super torque steer due to turbo lag and FWD) is inevitable, I have found that the G-Tech Competition Pro is much more forgiving in this aspect!
Old 01-14-2003, 08:39 PM
Working with Lumberg.

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

UNIX guys aren't allowed to use the word 'buggin'

-hehe

j/k

Old 01-15-2003, 09:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Mike
mine has been flawless. smooth roads
mine too, have you done 1/4's with g tech vs. a drag strip?
Old 01-15-2003, 09:58 AM
Senior Moderator

yes, the times were almost identical.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:58 AM
Suzuka Master

My GTech Pro has been used for about seven years with up to fifty passes at the strip in numerous types of vehicles, Typhoon, GTP, GS-T, Corvette, etc. (Even a 35 Chevy with a 375 HP 350) In most of the runs (90%+) against the timing lights it was within the procliamed tenth.

I guess that constitutes BS then...
Old 01-15-2003, 02:35 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

This is because the drag strip is flat as it can be and has nos bumps...
Old 01-15-2003, 02:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
This is because the drag strip is flat
And so are some roads. Well maybe not in your part of the country with the pot holes, etc. Just playin'.

as it can be and has nos bumps...
I've never heard of those types of bumps. Do they make you faster by spraying up into your intake... :P
Old 01-15-2003, 02:42 PM
Moderator Alumnus

As I was saying, no reason to DOG the 1st gen. It works great, and is good value if you don't need the fancy screen, and the other features.

In NO way does it suck badly. User intervention is 95% of the problems with any G-tech.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:50 AM
TRELOS

Ya, I don't mean to step on ya. But the 1st gen has been just as good for me as the 2nd. But the screen/features of the second make it a much cooler unit.

Ahhhhhhhh FK it. I know that u are opionated I only had to read a fraction of ur posts (5,000,000,000,000+ ) to see that like to stick to u guns. I don't blame u I'm a stuborn ass myself, I get that fro my mother .

Now to clarify all this up I called up GTech (310 452-0030) and found that there were two versions of the GTech Pro 1st Gen. From what the sales rep told me was that the 1st version had a couple of bugs in it that gave inaccurate readings. I asked him how I would be able to know if I have the 1st or 2nd version, he told me that the easiest way to know is by doing a 60'-0 brake test. If the results come back really a FKed up (like a 1,000'+) braking distance then that is the 1st version. He also told me that I could trade it in for the 2nd version only if I've had it for less than a year and had the reciept. Guess I'm not getting the 2nd version.

So thats probably why I and a couple of others are getting inaccurate readings and others seem to be on the money.

Its like this, u say potato and I say holly shit look at the tits on that chick . So if u really think about it everyone see tits in their own special way.

Juker008