Got in a wreck...my poor CL...it may be gone

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 11:00 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got in a wreck...my poor CL...it may be gone

Got in to a wreck today! Long story short...17 yr old kid with no shoes no licence took his parents NEW (with the temp tag) car with out them knowing. I was in the left lane...he was in the right. He lost control (speeding im sure) and started sliding and I actually heard him before saw him. He hit my front passenger fender pretty hard and threw me over a curb grinding everything under my lowered car and hit a telephone pole on the driver rear. Car dumped ALL the oil all over. All I could see was the pole heading at me fast...very very scarry. All I had was my friends cell camera when he showed up. I don't know if the car will be totaled or not...depends what it did under it. I am ok but my shoulder is a little sore now. NOT a good day....

They are covering all my oil with sand or something

That is wood from the poll. It is in between the rim and the tire...and the tire is still fully inflated!!!!! Thats a hard fast hit! If I was over another foot...I would have taken that pole out...and I could have been hurt bad!!!

By baby...maybe for the last time

So how bad can it be under there...I slid on concrete before the pole to after. I bet its ugly under there.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:08 PM
chronic lurker...

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad your Ok,

sorry to hear about the car. It could be a lot worse, but i think it would take quite a bit to total it at this point.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Drifting

What does it take...isnt it like a % of its worth. I did some looking it seems to be worth 17-20k. If I tore up the tranny from the bottom thats about 5k right there isnt it. All the suspension on the driver side is shot...fenders front and back...bumpers...and who knows what else. I think it will add up quick. Depends on the underside I guess. Part of me hopes it is...because after all that it will never be the same...but shoot I dont want another car note right now! I am just glad im ok.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:22 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Glad to hear you are ok! Sorry about you beloved... I'd be frappin' pissed!!
Old 06-18-2005, 11:24 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that is teh suck man. Hope the car is still repairable (I know I'd want a 6 spd back... ) damn.

-Alex
Old 06-18-2005, 11:38 PM
Sold but not Forgotten...

Best of luck with the repairs and happy to see no one seriously got hurt. Had a scary week as well when I hit construction debrie which blew for driver side front and rears out at over 70 mphs...
Old 06-19-2005, 12:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Glad to hear your alright......car is a tool that can be replaced at anytime when a life isn't.
Old 06-19-2005, 01:15 AM
9th Gear

that sucks man, similar thing happened to me last summer with my Infiniti I30t
some kid ran a stop sign at this intersection and took a left turn across the road I was comin down, I swerved onto the road he came out of to avoid him, but I went off the road and ran over a rock and took out a stop sign
the rock fucked up my whole undercarraige and the car had to be totaled
btw I know the law in NY is that if the damage is at least 75% of the total value of the car the insurance company has to total it
and from my experience, underbody damage adds up real quick
Old 06-19-2005, 01:24 AM
A CL-TYPE S 6 SPEED OWNER

Sorry to hear about your car, im glad your ok. I guess this week wasn't a good week for CL-S 6 speeds. My dealer got into an accident with mine!
Old 06-19-2005, 04:16 AM
Banned

So what happened to the kid who did all this ?........... Personally i'd try and push to get it totaled, if thats what you really want.

The reason i say "push" is becuase the car looks repairable with probably under 10K in damages. let us know what happens.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:56 AM
Girls luv me Guys hate me

Dude, glad to hear that no one got hurt. Sucks what happened, but I'm sure you know that things could have been worse. If the insurance company totals your car, what are you gonna get next? M3 lol
Old 06-19-2005, 07:56 AM
Drifting

Thanks yall...I am ok today...as for the kid I dont know what happened just yet but I will find out and let yall know. I kinda hope its totald but we will see what they say. That curb was about 8-10" so the front driver tire/bumper took that first lick so the tire is pushed back and touching the wheel well. Back tire is like that too so I think there is some damage to a lot of unseen stuff. Bent frame...suspention...all that adds up quick...I just kinda hope its quick enough. I will let yal know what goes on from here.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Hope everything works out all right... It's tough seeing another 6spd banged up like that...
Old 06-19-2005, 09:06 AM
10th Gear

I will buy that car the way it is, if they total it. LMK I will pay you for the car, and I will come and pick it up. THanks
Old 06-19-2005, 11:33 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. I've seen quite a few anthrys wrecked on here, hope mine isn't next.
Hope it works out, maybe something good will come like a big payoff, but looks like it might be repairable. Damm idiot drivers.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:58 PM
CL 4 LYFE

I'm sorry to hear about that. But at least you're alive. Life cannot be replaced.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Glad to see you are okay. It is obvious it could have been much, much worse!

Dibs on the rear sway
Old 06-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Drifting

Man I bet the sways are history LOL...along with the springs....maybe even the headers if they were getting it from the curb. I should talk to the ins co tomorrow...then we can see what they say when they see it. Went to the hospitial because my hand was getting some sharp pains and my back was hurting. Some puled muscles in my back...yay. At least I didnt hit the pole head on....tha would have been bad!
Old 06-19-2005, 08:41 PM
Has been sold for a while

Sorry to hear that . Are your superdraggers messed up?
Old 06-19-2005, 09:47 PM
Drifting

I dont think so...I think everything between them might be. If the car is totaled I will swipe them off the car and put my stockers on. You wana buy them if that happens? Only other part I could get off easy is the intake. Headers would be a loss along with the springs and sways.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by NOLACLS
I dont think so...I think everything between them might be. If the car is totaled I will swipe them off the car and put my stockers on. You wana buy them if that happens? Only other part I could get off easy is the intake. Headers would be a loss along with the springs and sways.
Is their insurance going to pay for your car?

I may be interested depending on condition/price? Just let me know if it comes to that point.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Drifting

Yep there ins. is going to cover whatever happens. They should be in good shape and I would hook you up with a good price fellow southern
Old 06-20-2005, 09:06 AM
Drifting

Just found out that here it needs to be 75% of the value of the car to total it. I looked on kelly blue book and the trade in value is around 17-18k so the damage needs to be about 12k. If the underside is ripped up like I think it just might hit that point.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:26 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

I would push to get the car totaled and sue the hell out of the parents. I know I keep my keys away from my kids.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CL Platano
I would push to get the car totaled and sue the hell out of the parents. I know I keep my keys away from my kids.
Unfortunately the law doesn't work like that even though it should. If you are injured you can file a bodily injury claim against the parent's policy not actually sue them. Since the parent's have insurance they are not going to be sued. instead you just file a claim against their policy. from what you said, it sounds like liability is clearly against their son so their insurance company should cover all of your repairs. From the looks of your car, it doesn't look like it is a total loss. most insurance companies pay market value of a vehicle not kelley blue book. since your car is only 2 years old, it would be tough to total it based on those photos unless there is a lot of hidden damages.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Soul Rebel

Damn bro. You got hit by an IDIOT. I hope his parents smack the shit outta him...then again he's 17.
Good to see u walked away from it though. Keep us posted
Old 06-20-2005, 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Good luck with all that, and glad to hear you're OK.

If this had happened to me, I'd do everything I could to get it written off. An accidented car, no matter how good the repairs are, will never be quite the same car ever again!
Old 06-20-2005, 11:26 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NJTypeS
Unfortunately the law doesn't work like that even though it should. If you are injured you can file a bodily injury claim against the parent's policy not actually sue them. Since the parent's have insurance they are not going to be sued. instead you just file a claim against their policy. from what you said, it sounds like liability is clearly against their son so their insurance company should cover all of your repairs. From the looks of your car, it doesn't look like it is a total loss. most insurance companies pay market value of a vehicle not kelley blue book. since your car is only 2 years old, it would be tough to total it based on those photos unless there is a lot of hidden damages.

But since the 03 cl was the last one the value has gone down the tubes. KBB is 17k and I am sure the ins co will say its less than the KBB. The underside damage is what will make or brake this car...it looked bad to me and when I think of all the stuff under that gets bent...I think it might hit the 75% mark around 12-13k. I asked them if they replace aftermarket stuff I put on the car if its damaged and they said yes...so if the headers are messed up that 1k right there...springs and sways are another 600. Your correct to...the ins co will cover it all and just jack up the parents premium.....a lot!
Old 06-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by NOLACLS
But since the 03 cl was the last one the value has gone down the tubes. KBB is 17k and I am sure the ins co will say its less than the KBB. The underside damage is what will make or brake this car...it looked bad to me and when I think of all the stuff under that gets bent...I think it might hit the 75% mark around 12-13k. I asked them if they replace aftermarket stuff I put on the car if its damaged and they said yes...so if the headers are messed up that 1k right there...springs and sways are another 600. Your correct to...the ins co will cover it all and just jack up the parents premium.....a lot!

Well the only way I can see it being a total loss is if there is significant frame damage. once the body shop puts it on a lift that will give you a better idea if there is structural damage. If you decide to use your own collision coverage for the damages, your company shouldn't raise your rates since the accident clearly wasn't your fault. And as far as the aftermarket equipment, you are lucky if you have an insurance company that will pay for those items since technically they really don't owe them since you are paying insurance for a stock vehicle unless you purchase a policy with an endorement to cover the aftermarket items. Remember even if they pay you for the aftermarket items they still might depreciate them depending on how old they are.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Drifting

I am useing there coverage so I know mine wont go up. As for them covering the aftermarkest stuff thats what they told me they do...she didnt say they depreciate them but I can see where they might say that. But they have to pay new prices to get the stuff from CT and they will tally that in there price I bet. They are going to tow it to there place and put it on the lift. I told them I want to be there to see it to so maybe I can grab some pics. I really think the frame it bent good...I hit on a angle pretty hard...that should bend it up pretty good.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 79 Likes on 71 Posts
the car is most likely totaled. My ex's car got into a similar accident, a 01 celica, and the suspension was messed up as yours is and from the suspension costs/bodywork alone they totaled it...so i have a strong feeling yours will be totaled also
Old 06-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Drifting

Damn my back is hurting now...I am on the computer all day....all the arm movement is making it hurt. This sucks
Old 06-20-2005, 12:52 PM
BUY MY CL - see garage!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Man, that sucks. Gald your not seriously hurt, but get to the Dr. anyway. I hope it all works out for you. Seems totalled IMO.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:57 PM
Drifting

Better pics of the scene. You can see how I was actualy heading right head on with the pole. The mark on the curb is my front driver tire/corner of the bumper...that sent me going just to the right of the pole making my tail end hit it. If I wouldnt have hit the curb...I could be dead!

Old 06-20-2005, 04:28 PM

When I totaled my TL they didn't hardly give me shit for my aftermarket parts because "it doesn't add value to the vehicle". Even though I had $1000 set of headers with a receipt it doesn't add any value to the vehicle if I were to sell it so they paid nothing. I think they gave me like $50 for my oem factory kit. I will say they gave me high value for the car itself though. Good luck with everything and pray it's totaled. It would be a nightmare trying to get everything perfect on that.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by J.T.'s 3.2TL
When I totaled my TL they didn't hardly give me shit for my aftermarket parts because "it doesn't add value to the vehicle". Even though I had $1000 set of headers with a receipt it doesn't add any value to the vehicle if I were to sell it so they paid nothing. I think they gave me like $50 for my oem factory kit. I will say they gave me high value for the car itself though. Good luck with everything and pray it's totaled. It would be a nightmare trying to get everything perfect on that.

I hear ya. But it is true that aftermarket parts for the most part don't increase a car's value. Look at it this way. If you put a $600 aftermarket exahust on your car and the OEM exhaust cost around $600, you didn't increase the car's value. Its just your personal preference to have a different exhaust. But sometimes you get lucky and your insurance company helps you out with the aftermarket items. I've noticed from most of the threads with the CL's getting totalled, insurance companies are valuing these cars rather high. Much higher than if you sold the car privately. Now I hope people who want to sell their CL's don''t get any ideas to start totalling their cars!!! lol
Old 06-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Drifting

I talked to the agent again and they said it again. They will replace aftermarket stuff with the same stuff. They said they call around and see what they get that part for...like CT headers are going to be close to a grand. Untill I see it on paper tho I dont trust em. I also looked on the NADA site they said they use to get a price...it was almost dead on with KBB at about 17500 for trade in value. So she said it will have to hit 13ish to toal it...but thats not set in stone yet either. Tom orrow they should get to look at it. I told him over and over too I dont want knock off parts or salvage yard stuff...brand new oem stuff!
Old 06-20-2005, 06:13 PM
1-2-3-4-5-6-speeeeeed!!!!

say that the car wasnt lowered and you still had the 4x4, you would of probably continued in the grass possibly into the other lane, but since it was lowered the grinding of the bottom of your car must have slowed it down. Just be happy you are ok!!! Good luck!!
Old 06-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Type S-man

Sorry about the car man. I'd hate to see one less New Orleans CL-S er. We're pretty rare as it is. You're lucky those folks were insured. I'm always scared of all the people that are uninsured here (someone told me 70% of new orleans is uninsured).
Old 06-20-2005, 06:41 PM
Drifting

The lowered car didnt do much in saving me...it only is 1" lower than stock. Thing that stoped me from crossing the grass was the pole that hit my rear and sent on the drinding. Its like this...crub turned me from the pole so my rear swung around and hit the pole...that sent me straight again.

skgarach...that % sounds about right...thats why I carry un-insured...you better too!! I almost never see a cl here and if I do its not a type s.

Quick Reply: Got in a wreck...my poor CL...it may be gone