Got a ticket for window tint!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2001, 01:58 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a ticket for window tint!

I was driving along, it was around 11pm last night and came up to a red light and im about to make a left. im like 3 minutes from my house. Anyways out of the corner of my eye i see a cop parked up in a Rita's water ice parking lot. He came out of the parking lot and pulled up behind me. i KNEW i was getting pulled over. so i make my left and he follows me and throws his lights on. I pull over and he is a real dick about everything. Tells me to shut off the engine and everything. He even called for backup. I'm 18 years old, It's like they see an 18 year old driving a nice car and they automatically think something is wrong. Him and his backup were shining their flashlights on me and my friend. It was just so ridiculous. I have 5% tint all around my car. I got pulled over in Jan. for window tint in the same suburb. so he asked me what happened in Jan. (they obviously put it in their computers that i had already received my warning). I admitted i got pulled over and had no excuse for him as to why i didn't get it taken off yet. So he issues me a $94 ticket! Now the cops in my suburb are ALWAYS parked up doing nothing. Its a real tiny suburb. Its the only place i have problems with cops and tint. Im not taking my tint off, i just hafta avoid that part of town. It was just a strange experience. I respect cops and their jobs, but window tint is not a big deal. but it seems like when they are bored they will look for anything to break your balls. But its over now, i just hafta pay the ticket and go about my business.

'01' Satin Silver CL-S
5% tint all around & 18" Konig Caffeine's
Soon maybe a few subs and an Amp.
Old 04-09-2001, 02:06 PM
Team Owner

I don’t know what state you are in, but with 5% you are just asking to be pulled over.
You are obviously in a “no-tint” state like I am so that is why you got nailed.
I went with 35% so they can still see inside and hopefully let it slide.
Even 20% will get you nailed most places.
You are definitely going to keep getting hassled with 5%.

Been lucky so far, knock on wood (striking head repeatedly)

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER AMP w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Xephyr CAI - Shine by ZAINO
For Photos see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Suzuka Master

Man every time I see cops I roll down the window and freeze my ass off. hehe

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
me.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Banned

What I find funny is the CA law that you can't tint the front two side windows at all, but you can paint the back ones with black paint if you want. They claim its for the safety of the cops. Like no one can be hiding in the back seat with a gun? I'd have more respect for the law if they set a reasonable limit like some states, say 35%.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CL Type S with Spoiler and Navi
Old 04-09-2001, 02:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11pm at night and 5% tint, no cop is gonna know if
you're 18 or 80.

Old 04-09-2001, 02:18 PM
Drifting

35% makes sense for all states, and in my opinion all drivers. 5% on anything but a read window would be a safety hazzard to me.

------------------
Eat Safe, Use Condiments
red CL-S, non-Nav, 35% tint, M6 driving lights, M4 map and door lights
Old 04-09-2001, 02:57 PM
Drifting

I had the window partially rolled down so he did catch a glimpse of me. From now on when i roll through ima put the windows down. i live in Pennsylvania, right outside philadelphia. and they don't give anyone a hard time in philly. its just the suburbs.

'01' Satin Silver Cl-S
5% tint all around & 18" Konig Caffiene's
Old 04-09-2001, 03:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Dang, I'm glad we don't have that stupid law in Cali anymore. I think up to 20% on the drivers and passanger windows is allowed now....

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2TL Non-Navi
Satin Silver
35% Metal Tint
Old 04-09-2001, 03:30 PM
Safety Car

I feel bad for Marc and now will be even more on the lookout for cops because he lives around my area.
Anyway, as far as the 5% goes. Yeah its a bit dark but it looks the best. I am of the opinion that function has to come before look.
The point of tint is to provide privacy, at least for me. And 30% does not really provide that much privacy, especially during the day. So you have to get below that, and once you go dark, its illegal. So if you gonna risk it, might as well go all the way to 15, or extreme case 5%, as Marc has. If the cops want to hassle you, they will hassle you for 30 just as bad as for 5.
My .02

------------------
---------------------
'01 Satin Silver w/Black, Navi_less, spoiler, mud guards, wind deflector.
Tint 15%, Polarqs M6s, Things to come: sub, air kit (if exists), maybe headers, CAI, and spring/sway combo.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1603513&a=12224080
Old 04-09-2001, 04:17 PM
Honkey

I used to have a similar problem driving through a portion of Scottsdale on an indian reservation. I was pulled over by a reservation cop in my Accord and he unloaded 12 (twelve) <no kidding TWELVE> tickets on me.

Excessive windown tint
Improper licence plate mount
No license plate light
No red reflectors to rear
Too low
Improper headlight alignment
White lights to rear
Blue headlights
Clear taillights (this was 2 years ago when they were still cool)
No amber reflectors to front
Expired Insurance card
One more that I cannot remember

ALL of them were dropped in court.

------------------
2001 CL-P, new project undergoing complete reconstruction. As of now: Custom CAI fabricated by SRD, Polarg M6 bulbs, 4 ProHopper Chrome hydraulic pumps with whammy tanks, 4 ProHopper dumps, 4 Optima marine deep-cycle batteries, 4 switches. Much much more to come...

1997 Accord coupe EX-L. Chrome suspension, Chrome motor, every bolt-on imaginable. One pump, 8 dump hydraulics with accumulators. Leather, Billet grills, 18" Neeper Shadows...etc..etc http://www.artofnoize.com/Cars/aaron.htm

1990 Toyota standard cab. Bodydropped 3". 17" KMC Nemesis', extensive suspension work. 4 wheel airbags.
Old 04-09-2001, 04:18 PM
w.t.f., mate?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VTEC Animal:
Dang, I'm glad we don't have that stupid law in Cali anymore. I think up to 20% on the drivers and passanger windows is allowed now....

</font>
Are you sure????

------------------
~Phil~!
2K1 satin silver CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia! ~#10,029!!~ ~Navi!~ ~XEPHYR PERFORMANCE CAI~ ~Quantum tint~ ~Hiper Hibrid Plasma Xenon road lamps AND high-beams~ ~spoiler, baby!!~ ~Uniden LRD 6599SWS Radar Detector~ ~Shine by Meguiar's Gold Wax~ ~Member of the Scratched Rims Club~ ~Getting a red Acura badge shortly.~
Former post count : Over 500!! FREAK!
Old 04-09-2001, 04:45 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by VTEC Animal:
</font>
Where'd you hear about this? Last time I checked at the tint shop in mid March, the legal rate was like 80% for drivers/passengers...thats basically clear

------------------
- Kvit -
2001 CL-P Monterey Blue, Parchment interior
Polarg BlHybrid M-6 Road lamps
Polarg/PIAA super white interior lights *bling bling*
HP Quantum 28 -- 31% metallic tint all around

Blue Lady Dragon

Ferrari F355 Challenge Lap Times (Dreamcast):
-Motegi: 0'37"822 , sprint total 2'42"892
-Suzuka (short): 0'57"873
-Atlanta: 0'31"659
Old 04-09-2001, 04:48 PM
Instructor

i have mirror tint and had good luck sooo far..its been like 8 months...
Old 04-09-2001, 05:41 PM
Advanced

I got tickets on my first CRX all the time, 5% on the back 3, 25% on the side windows. Black cars need dark tint, the tickets I got were only 40$, so I just paid em and left it on. Rolling down the windows is the best approach tho.

------------------
97 2.2CL Premium - Black
Cleared bumpers, int / ext lights
'87 CRX Si Shift Knob =&gt;
Old 06-01-2002, 01:32 PM
Intermediate

tints

I JUST RECEIVED A TICKET FOR MY TINTS AND I LIVE IN NYC. MY TINT IS 35% ALL AROUND. BUT I AM GOING TO COURT TO FIGHT THIS BULLSHIT TICKET. ANY ADVICE ON HOW TP FIGHT THIS.

02 SILVER CL-S
Old 06-01-2002, 01:40 PM
Intermediate

The whole reason behind the laws on tint is because police cant see what you are doing behind the tint. Think about it. As much as it sucks...it makes sense.
Old 06-01-2002, 01:43 PM
Banned

Re: Got a ticket for window tint!

Originally posted by Marc S
So he issues me a $94 ticket!
Man, you guys have it easy. First (and every) offense for tinted windows in MA is a $250 fine. And if it's your third (or subsequent) offense for tint, they suspend your license for 90 days. That's a
Old 06-01-2002, 02:53 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Marc, are you in Abington? I have an in-law that's a cop there.
Old 06-01-2002, 03:29 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Klamalama
Marc, are you in Abington? I have an in-law that's a cop there.
Yes i am in Abington (Elkins Park). I got the ticket in rockledge. If i get a ticket in abington i will be sure to let you know

BTW i posted this thread back on 4-9-01, you guys look WAYYYYYY back, thats a year and 2 months ago almost
Old 06-01-2002, 03:45 PM
Race Director

Re: Got a ticket for window tint!

Originally posted by Marc S
But its over now, i just hafta pay the ticket and go about my business.
So you're not going to do anything about the tint?

It's over for now...until the next time, huh?

Three times...that's gotta be harassment, isn't it?

If Philly cops decide to nab you, it must be because you are 18 in a nice car.

Hey, I'm not knocking you cause you want the tint...go ahead and keep it on. But you're doing so risking more tickets and impounding and anything else that the law calls for. I just think it's funny that you think the cops have nothing better to do than go after you and your tint. I guess I would feel that way if I were 18, too.

Have you checked into seeing what you can do to change the law? I didn't think so....just breaking it is all [anyone] cares about.

Old 06-01-2002, 06:36 PM
Banned

get metallic silver tint. ill post some pics later, but it looks fresh.
Old 06-01-2002, 09:49 PM
Drifting

Re: Re: Got a ticket for window tint!

Originally posted by kensteele

So you're not going to do anything about the tint?

It's over for now...until the next time, huh?

Three times...that's gotta be harassment, isn't it?

If Philly cops decide to nab you, it must be because you are 18 in a nice car.

Hey, I'm not knocking you cause you want the tint...go ahead and keep it on. But you're doing so risking more tickets and impounding and anything else that the law calls for. I just think it's funny that you think the cops have nothing better to do than go after you and your tint. I guess I would feel that way if I were 18, too.

Have you checked into seeing what you can do to change the law? I didn't think so....just breaking it is all [anyone] cares about.

Nope im not doing anything about the tint, I'm keeping it on. I like it to much to take it off. Philly cops give me no problems at all. These cops really have nothing to do. Its a VERY small area that they cover, they usually sit in parking lots and talk. Im just saying it seems they could be doing more then just pulling people over for tint. Just my 2 cents. Im not on of them guys who hates on cops either. Its just there are worse things happening out there.
Old 06-02-2002, 01:58 AM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

CA LAW

Most recent tint allowed in CA for the front is 70%.

I've been doing some research as to what my legal limits are, that is what I have read. Still sucks...but better than being pulled over all the dang time I guess
Old 06-02-2002, 06:32 AM
D73
Curiosity Killed The CL-S

70% is pretty much no tint.
Old 06-02-2002, 01:23 PM

no tint

I knooooooow
I knoooooooow

ooooh such grief in CALI with out tint laws......DAMMMMMMMN!!!!!

Someday they will allow us..i hope to be able to tint all the way 5%...hehehehe...........looks nice...although I find it funny when people with that kind os all-around tint usually have to roll their window down at night to back up and see the sideview mirrors....but I could like with that...only if I was allowed......DAMMMMN.....buying a house in Vegas maybe next year. I wonder what their laws are. I know they practically send you to the chair for DUI....makes me wonder...

alright guys...talk to you all later

RAPTORCLS
Old 06-02-2002, 01:24 PM

grammar check

out = our

Old 06-02-2002, 01:35 PM
Buckle Up

Got a ticket a few weeks back for illegal tints in Miami. 5% tints and legal is 28%. It was my bros CL but I was driving. I had to pay $47 ticket and $40 to take the tints off.
Old 06-02-2002, 05:21 PM
Intermediate

Watch out after you get a couple warnings in PA. My friend's dad had just bought a truck with limo tint on it. Anyway, he got a couple warnings, then the 3rd time, the cop pulled out a box cutter and made him cut an "X" in each window (I guess so he would then definitely get it removed since it now looked stupid!).

So far, I keep the sunroof cover open (let's more light in and makes tint look less dramatic) and roll down the windows when things look suspicious! Good luck though, that sucks.

B
Old 06-02-2002, 06:15 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by bsmiller
Watch out after you get a couple warnings in PA. My friend's dad had just bought a truck with limo tint on it. Anyway, he got a couple warnings, then the 3rd time, the cop pulled out a box cutter and made him cut an "X" in each window (I guess so he would then definitely get it removed since it now looked stupid!).

So far, I keep the sunroof cover open (let's more light in and makes tint look less dramatic) and roll down the windows when things look suspicious! Good luck though, that sucks.

B
Wow, that's pretty bad the cops have to deface the property. They're better off just impounding the car.

I used to try the roll down windows and open sunroof trick when I used to have illegal tint. I found it hardly ever worked cause the cops just aren't as stupid as we'd like them to believe. I ended up with about 3 written warning and half-dozen verbal warning with my old Integra.
Old 06-02-2002, 10:09 PM
I LOVE MY CAR

I've had 2 different friends get nailed for illegal tints around the chicago suburbs... both time the cops made them peel the tint off the front pass. windows on the SPOT.. no ticket, no fine, just peel your damn tints off right there....

DOM
Old 06-02-2002, 11:12 PM
Intermediate

I thought NYC had a darker limit, b/c when I move there I was going to get mine darker. What is the legal limit? I see cops in my area with tint darker than legal around 20% and legal is 35%. I don't know why they can have it if we can't.
Old 06-03-2002, 06:34 AM
Advanced

The tint is illegal

One thing to remember about whats actaully illegal about window tint and how the law is written. If you were to go out and purchase tinted glass, the police would not be able to cite you for the tint. What's illegal is putting and having the film over the glass. but if the glass itself was tinted you would have no problem. Some Very exotic cars come with factory tinted windows and yes the front drivers and passenger windows.
I have seen MB w/ factory tinted glass. Imagine 6 years ago a car w/ blue headlights. The police would stopp you and start writing tickets but as soon as BMW and Audi sold new cars with what appeared to be blue headlights, no more problem. Clear tail lights were a problem to some until Lexus came out with the IS300. We spend a lot of money on headers, intakes, exausts so how much could it be to have costom made tinted glass.

Just my .02 cent
Old 06-03-2002, 07:57 AM
Masshole

Originally posted by 98BlackCL
I thought NYC had a darker limit, b/c when I move there I was going to get mine darker. What is the legal limit? I see cops in my area with tint darker than legal around 20% and legal is 35%. I don't know why they can have it if we can't.

I was looking at the NY State DMV website and this is what I found regarding window tinting:
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/

-----------------
Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law prohibits a windshield, as well as sidewings and side windows which are adjacent to or forward of the driver, from being "composed of, covered by or treated with any material which has a light transmittance of less than seventy percent...". In other words, 70% of light must be transmitted through the glass, and therefore the tinting may not block more than 30% of the light.

This standard also applies to rear windows unless the vehicle is equipped with rear-view mirrors on both sides which give a full and clear view behind the vehicle.

It is illegal to sell, offer for sale, equip or operate a vehicle which violates this standard.

Exemptions to the law are permitted for medical reasons. To request a medical exemption, obtain form MV-80W from a DMV Office or Call Center.

-----------------------

So it appears that 70% tint is allowed for the front and back passenger windows. And then any is allowe for the rear windshield provided that you have two outside mirrors.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

FL is 20% I got pulled over in my 300M for it. State trooper with nothing better to do. I was doing 70 on a HW(limit was 70) passed him in the divider, A mile down the road he pulled me over. He specifically pulled me over for tint. He got out of the car with the meter. $45 non moving volation. I had 15%. the 1 & only problem I ever had with tint. I even drive my CL-S in NYC alot.