Got ticket for tint. Can I take it off show it to them, and put it back on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 12:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got a ticket for having tint on my front windows. I have a Black CL-S with beige interior and the car looks funky without the front tint. I was planning to take the tint off, show that I fixed it and put it back on. Am I gonna get in more trouble if they pull me over for the same thing again?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:51 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can' t put tint back on after its been taken off
you'd have to get it retinted
Old 12-21-2005, 12:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

I didnt mean that... Im gonna take the tint off, show that I fixed it and then get it retinted. What im asking is if im gonna get a more expensive ticket or get in more trouble if they pull me over for having tinted windows again....
Old 12-21-2005, 12:58 PM
That's Racist

I too would like to know this information.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:00 PM
Never had a clean run

If you appear in court and tell them and show pics that you have removed it since the ticket they will drop your fine by like $10 or $30 or so (in Hawaii). Totally not worth it, just pay the ticket and leave it on.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
in CA, all you have to do is show a cop that you took off the tint by taking it off and going up to cop and kindly ask "can you sign this ticket for me?" he'll either take a look at the car, or if you're lucky, assume that you took it off and just sign it.

edit: i forgot to tell you that after you get it signed, bring it to the traffic court, show the people there that you signed it off, they take the citation, you pay $10, and go home and retint the car if you like. and make a xerox of the signed citation. they sometimes lose the citation and you have to show proof all over again.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
I got one before and I just paid the fine. It was cheaper than having to re-tint the windows.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Advanced

Talking

I have to laugh everytime I see a topic like this. You know the laws about how dark you can tint your car, why do you go through the trouble, knowing you might get a ticket. Is it worth it?

Man, you just got a ticket, now you want to take it off, show em, and then retint. Why? So you can get another ticket? Makes no sense, but hey, it's your car and your ticket
Old 12-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
There is a local peace officer on the forum... Mail him your ticket, have him right it off, and buy him a present for Christmas. Any state police officer can write off you ticket.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by ragged
Is it worth it?
YES. I like my windows tinted and I'm fully aware that it's not legal. But I assume the risk of getting a ticket. And every 2 years I remove the tint to get pass inspection and I drive right back and get it re-done.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:35 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
I have to laugh everytime I see a topic like this. You know the laws about how dark you can tint your car, why do you go through the trouble, knowing you might get a ticket. Is it worth it?

Man, you just got a ticket, now you want to take it off, show em, and then retint. Why? So you can get another ticket? Makes no sense, but hey, it's your car and your ticket
That doesn't stop people from speeding, running red lights, showing off their sound system at 2am, having a loud exhaust, lowering their car below the limits, etc.

Customizing a car comes with risks. If you don't like the risks, don't customize it.

I will enjoy having less heat in my car if that means getting beat-up everytime by a cop because of my tint.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:55 PM
sexier than the sexiest

Holla!
Old 12-21-2005, 02:00 PM
Pro

Is it worth it?
Its worth it in the California summer when its 100+ degrees out and everyones cars are burning inside while yours stays about 20 degrees cooler.

Now if the damn California government would just allow some form of tint (35% even)

...but that would cost them precious income that they would spend on some other pointless thing that nobody needs...like front license plates
Old 12-21-2005, 02:03 PM
That's Racist

You know the laws about how dark you can tint your car, why do you go through the trouble, knowing you might get a ticket. Is it worth it
Yes.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:03 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NiteQwill
There is a local peace officer on the forum... Mail him your ticket, have him right it off, and buy him a present for Christmas. Any state police officer can write off you ticket.
username? PM me please.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:04 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Originally Posted by rtatsutani
If you appear in court and tell them and show pics that you have removed it since the ticket they will drop your fine by like $10 or $30 or so (in Hawaii). Totally not worth it, just pay the ticket and leave it on.
doesn't work like that out in CA.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:05 PM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by brianlin87
doesn't work like that out in CA.
How's it work in cali B?

Don't you go those optometrist notes?
Old 12-21-2005, 03:16 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Yeah, you can re-tint it. You won't be in anymore trouble than the first time if you get caught again. Like several people have said, I'd find out if you HAVE TO remove it or just pay a fine without doing so. I'd be worth it to just pay the fine I'm sure.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts

1. Cops get tired of writing tickets for tinted windows.
2. I get tired of paying to re-tint my windows after above cop gave me a ticket.
What will happen first?
Too many choices!
Old 12-21-2005, 04:10 PM
says "hello to my TLX".

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
F da po po!! i'm keeping my tint on and my front license plate OFF!
Old 12-21-2005, 04:53 PM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by Sun Diego CL-S
F da po po!! i'm keeping my tint on and my front license plate OFF!
i as well. Except i'm not that angry about it.

I kinda wish I could get pulled over for tint, told to get rid of it, so I can re-tint my front side windows from 35% to 20%.

I wish they could just layer tint on....
Old 12-21-2005, 05:22 PM
Drive FAst and Swirve

Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
i as well. Except i'm not that angry about it.

I kinda wish I could get pulled over for tint, told to get rid of it, so I can re-tint my front side windows from 35% to 20%.

I wish they could just layer tint on....
you can layer tint on
Old 12-21-2005, 05:50 PM
Advanced

this is real easy. all you have to do is every time you get pulled over or go in for a inspection just put your windows down right away. if a cop does write you a citation than you can just say that you bought it that way unless you bought it brand new. this law was established because if a cop pulls you over and your tint is to dark than he cant tell if you are holding a gun up to the window so if you put your windows down before he even walks up to your car than usually he will forget all about it. trust me i have been pulled over numerous times and never got a citation for my illegal wndows
Old 12-21-2005, 06:19 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by juruki
I got a ticket for having tint on my front windows. I have a Black CL-S with beige interior and the car looks funky without the front tint. I was planning to take the tint off, show that I fixed it and put it back on. Am I gonna get in more trouble if they pull me over for the same thing again?
You have not been given an answer yet.
Other then chriskh, but chriskh you are in Colorado. Are you sure the Calif laws are the same?

I'd like to know also. Not just a roasting summer car and UV sunlight coming thru the front but the headlights from a lot of these SUVs etc.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chriskh

Yeah, you can re-tint it. You won't be in anymore trouble than the first time if you get caught again.
THX!!! Thats all i wanted to know
Old 12-21-2005, 07:00 PM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by leolebo28
you can layer tint on
Sorry to hi-jack.

But can someone confirm this statement?
Old 12-21-2005, 07:12 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by NighthawkBlue
You have not been given an answer yet.
Other then chriskh, but chriskh you are in Colorado. Are you sure the Calif laws are the same?

I'd like to know also. Not just a roasting summer car and UV sunlight coming thru the front but the headlights from a lot of these SUVs etc.

I'm pretty sure it's like that across the board. I know it's that way in FL as well as CO. Not sure about CA but I'm sure it's fine.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:16 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
Sorry to hi-jack.

But can someone confirm this statement?

The Plymouth "Shitbox" I had after high school had limo tint. The guy that did it had, what he called, Double Dark on the back window of his truck. It was limo over limo. Needless to say, it was DARK AS HELL! You could barely se out of it.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:18 PM
I'm here in spirit...

THX!!! Thats all i wanted to know

No problem buddy.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:52 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

Originally Posted by speedB
this is real easy. all you have to do is every time you get pulled over or go in for a inspection just put your windows down right away. if a cop does write you a citation than you can just say that you bought it that way unless you bought it brand new. this law was established because if a cop pulls you over and your tint is to dark than he cant tell if you are holding a gun up to the window so if you put your windows down before he even walks up to your car than usually he will forget all about it. trust me i have been pulled over numerous times and never got a citation for my illegal wndows
Well - what if the cop pulls you over SPECIFICALLY for just your tint? will he forget about it then? that entire post is freakin

The law is black and white here in CA. It's illegal to have ANY tint on your front windows. Any film on your front two windows is illegal and so the cop will tell you to take it off.

Juruki - the question at hand is whether or not you'll get in more trouble, the answer is no. I've gone through stages of tinting my entire car + windshield to 15%. I used to get tint for free and had a friend of mine who was in Police Academy sign off all those tickets. The only pain I'd go through is waiting for the tint to be back on. Every fix-it ticket is $20. That's the only penalty, unless you miss your court date. Since then, he dropped out, and thus I don't wanna deal with shit from cops anymore, cuz I have better things to do with my time, so I took off all my tint.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:38 PM
Racer

Well - what if the cop pulls you over SPECIFICALLY for just your tint? will he forget about it then? that entire post is freakin

The law is black and white here in CA. It's illegal to have ANY tint on your front windows. Any film on your front two windows is illegal and so the cop will tell you to take it off.
2cents:
brianlin87 What about the note from the skin Dr. Scuttlebutt was the note made the front window tint okay. I was told on the front the only allowable was the "clear" 100% tint that had some stuff in it to screen out the UV. However that info was year 2000.

I'm all ears if a skin drs note can get the front percentage tinted.

brianlin87 about how many times were you ticketed/time period?
Old 12-21-2005, 11:52 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

I agree with Chriskh. Since the fix ticket for tint is not report to DMV, cops don't know you got tint violation before.
One way to avoid tint ticket and still get little benefit of the tint looks and less heat is tint your front windows with 35% instead 20% and the back windows is 20%. It's kind of illusion from the looks that the front is not tint or tint not as dark as the back and cops still can see inside a bit. If you have 35% tint and get pull over by the cop, play nice and say that the tint shop did the tint and said it's a legal when you bring the car for tinting. Maybe this will work or maybe it's not but at least it worked for me before.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:18 AM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

This is taken out directly on the dmv of california regarding about windows tint. It's not black and white as you think (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm)

Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver's View

26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.
(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows.

(3) This subdivision applies to a person driving a motor vehicle with the driver's clear vision through the windshield, or side or rear windows, obstructed by snow or ice.

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

Amended Sec. 77, Ch. 1154, Stats. 1996. Effective September 30, 1996.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 476, Stats. 1998. Effective January 1, 1999.
We can TINT the FRONT windows! but not to the percentage that we like
Old 12-22-2005, 04:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LacViet
This is taken out directly on the dmv of california regarding about windows tint. It's not black and white as you think (http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm)

We can TINT the FRONT windows! but not to the percentage that we like
Where does it say tint is a go for the front? All i see is:

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:
Old 12-22-2005, 08:04 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Just roughly rephrase on what the law said: You can tint your front driver and passsenger side windows based on the section (d) which said clear, colorless, and transparent materials MAY BE INSTALLED if the following 5 conditions are met:
(1) Minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent on the materials: which basicly said the tint film can block 12% of light. Now, if it's colorless as said in section d above, how can it blocks the light? So the answer has to be "dark" color to block the light.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied must has the minimum light transmittance of 70 percent. In other words, both the window + the tint material can only block 30% of light.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays. I believe all the tint on the market advertise that the tint can block this harmful UV A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name and street address. this section just explain itself here and I don't think we ever has this certificate or none of the tint place provide us this. This is the only thing that we don't meet the requirement.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:15 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

Where does it say tint is a go for the front? All i see is:

Here is the entire post of the tint window law. Section (c) tells us that we can tint the FRONT window (Winshield) if we meet all the required condition.

Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver's View

26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows.

(3) This subdivision applies to a person driving a motor vehicle with the driver's clear vision through the windshield, or side or rear windows, obstructed by snow or ice.

(b) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(1) Rearview mirrors.

(2) Adjustable nontransparent sunvisors which are mounted forward of the side windows and are not attached to the glass.

(3) Signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver, signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the rear window farthest removed from the driver, or signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver.

(4) Side windows which are to the rear of the driver.

(5) Direction, destination, or termini signs upon a passenger common carrier motor vehicle or a schoolbus, if those signs do not interfere with the driver's clear view of approaching traffic.

(6) Rear window wiper motor.

(7) Rear trunk lid handle or hinges.

(8) The rear window or windows, when the motor vehicle is equipped with outside mirrors on both the left- and right-hand sides of the vehicle that are so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

(9) A clear, transparent lens affixed to the side window opposite the driver on a vehicle greater than 80 inches in width and which occupies an area not exceeding 50 square inches of the lowest corner toward the rear of that window and which provides the driver with a wide-angle view through the lens.

(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.

(11) An electronic communication device affixed to the center uppermost portion of the interior of a windshield within an area that is not greater than 5 inches square, if the device provides either of the following:

(A) The capability for enforcement facilities of the Department of the California Highway Patrol to communicate with a vehicle equipped with the device.

(B) The capability for electronic toll and traffic management on public or private roads or facilities.

(c) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the topmost portion of the windshield if the following conditions apply:

(1) The bottom edge of the material is at least 29 inches above the undepressed driver's seat when measured from a point 5 inches in front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver's seat in its rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface.

(2) The material is not red or amber in color.

(3) There is no opaque lettering on the material and any other lettering does not affect primary colors or distort vision through the windshield.

(4) The material does not reflect sunlight or headlight glare into the eyes of occupants of oncoming or following vehicles to any greater extent than the windshield without the material.

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name and street address.

Amended Sec. 77, Ch. 1154, Stats. 1996. Effective September 30, 1996.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 476, Stats. 1998. Effective January 1, 1999.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LacViet
Here is the entire post of the tint window law. Section (c) tells us that we can tint the FRONT window (Winshield) if we meet all the required condition.
Believe me, I want tint on the front as bad as anybody. But this says only the top portion.

(c) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the topmost portion of the windshield if the following conditions apply:

(1) The bottom edge of the material is at least 29 inches above the undepressed driver's seat when measured from a point 5 inches in front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver's seat in its rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:36 PM
ASM I.S. Design FTW.

brianlin87 What about the note from the skin Dr. Scuttlebutt was the note made the front window tint okay. I was told on the front the only allowable was the "clear" 100% tint that had some stuff in it to screen out the UV. However that info was year 2000.

I'm all ears if a skin drs note can get the front percentage tinted.

brianlin87 about how many times were you ticketed/time period?
I live in Irvine. Cops here are ridiculous. I've been given curfew tickets for being out past 10pm when I was 17. I was ticketed probably 4 times in the last 3 years.

LacViet - Do you have tint higher than 70%; and have you ever tried to argue your way out of a tint ticket? I doubt it. Interesting research, nonetheless, but if the cop says that your tint obstructed HIS view of you, he can take that to court and you'll end up removing your tint. The cop should never have to second guess whether or not he can see you.

The law can be interpreted in many ways, however, most ppl get pulled over for their tint because the car is already lowered with rims anyway. My dad's stock Benz has 15% tint all around and he's never been pulled over for tint.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:29 PM
291hp & 245 tq @ 3.5psi

LacViet - Do you have tint higher than 70%; and have you ever tried to argue your way out of a tint ticket? I doubt it. Interesting research, nonetheless, but if the cop says that your tint obstructed HIS view of you, he can take that to court and you'll end up removing your tint. The cop should never have to second guess whether or not he can see you.

The law can be interpreted in many ways, however, most ppl get pulled over for their tint because the car is already lowered with rims anyway. My dad's stock Benz has 15% tint all around and he's never been pulled over for tint.
As the matter of fact, I did get out of the tint ticket with 30% front /20% back and exhaust noise ticket (for louder than 90dbs) in my 2000 Accord few years ago. I went to the court to fight for fixed tickets 4 years ago and basicly I told the judge this: By law, Cops must prove that I have loud exhaust with greater than 90dbs since there is no law against using aftermarket exhaust, but must below 90dbs! Cop had no equipment to measure and don't really know how to measure the exhaust noise level exept by his ear. This is objective since the ability to hear loud or not loud of human ear is depends on each individual person and no way can differentiate 90dbs, 91dbs, or 89dbs on the noise of the exhaust. Strike one.
Using the same argument, the cop did not measure the % of front driver/passenger windows when he gave me the ticket. He did not has any measurement device and only rely on his visual. Strike two.
The only bad thing is that you have to spend time to go to court! Most people will avoid this route since it's a waste of time at the court for whole day to get out of less than $100 fine, but it's also the law to protect the consumer to modify his/her car to his/her desire as long as it's safe to use and not endanger everyone around.

If some of you remember, few years ago, cops gave left and right fix ticket for any import car with aftermarket exhaust because they said it's LOUD. Thanks to organization such as www.SEMA.com and www.enjoythedrive.com, the loud exhaust ticket is almost none existance today. According to statistic based on aftermarket exhaust noise level test in California, 90% of approximate 3000 cars have aftermarket exhaust pass the noise level. If you go to www.enjoythedrive.com and click on the link "your car and the law" on the right hand upper conner, you can read many information regarding your state and hot topic such as tint, clear taillights, use of nitrous oxide, etc.
Old 12-23-2005, 02:44 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 109 Likes on 88 Posts
Lightbulb

Once upon a time when I had 5% on my Civic Hatchback, I got a ticket for tint. I made an appointment w/my tinter 1 hour after I was to have the cop look @ my car after I removed only the fr. 2 windows cuz really that's all that needs to b taken off.

I had no problems after that, however, to avoid unnecessary conflict w/the po-po, I only use legal tint now just to protect my interior & I actually think most cars look better w/out 'limo' tint....

Quick Reply: Got ticket for tint. Can I take it off show it to them, and put it back on?