got into an accident today

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 07:19 PM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got into an accident today

well what do you know...my turn to get into an accident.

bumper to bumper traffic for onver an hour. It starts to speed up. I'm about 30 feet away from the guy in front of me and i see a light go off on my dash...i take the second to look down (it was my low gas indicator) and suddenly this fewl is completely stopped but yet there is no one infront of him for a VERY good distance but yet all the cars in the other lane did slam on their brakes. Homeboy slammed on his brakes because he saw people in the other lane do it. I slam on my brakes and try to move to the next lane but too late.

CHP shows up and he says that the guy said he was ok besides feeling a little sore in the neck....GREAT...I'm screwed.

I wonder just how screwed I am. How much is my insurance going to go up? Would I just pay my deductible to fix my car too? This is my first accident...I have no clue. I'm waiting for my claim agen to call me back to tell him/her everything too.

Duuuude I'm so depressed

Here are the pics

pics
Old 02-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Miss th 3.0

dang bro...that sux
Old 02-16-2004, 07:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

ouch.... dont know how insurance works in CA, but usually if u rear-end someone, its automatically your fault. i'd assume you'd have to pay the deductable to get your car fixed.... i mean, thats the basis of insurance.... pay a premium, pay a deductable when filing a claim... sucks your intake got fucked up too....
Old 02-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ouch! Right in the CAI!

Honestly, don't fret. This is why we have insurance. You'll pay your deductible, get your car fixed, and go on. Your rates may climb (loss of discounts/new chargeable collision), nothing you can do about it except shop around for another carrier which probably won't be cheaper because of the claim this collision will generate.

The other driver's problems will be settled by your insurance company. This is what they do. You should never hear about it.

I'm assuming your coverages are reasonable, and knowing California insurance requirements they should be...
Old 02-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Audi S4 driver

wow that looks pretty bad .. any suspension\wheel\tire damage? That AEM looks fucked. An Icebox would've been worse. Sorry to hear man. How fast were you going?
Old 02-16-2004, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by blader
wow that looks pretty bad .. any suspension\wheel\tire damage? That AEM looks fucked. An Icebox would've been worse. Sorry to hear man. How fast were you going?
about 30 mph
Old 02-16-2004, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by blader
alignment seemed slightly off....no wheel or tire damage from what i could see. thank goodness
Old 02-16-2004, 08:26 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Looks like about 3 grand in damages. How fast were you going?

I don't know how it works in California, but this is what I would do in Michigan.

Now, I'm assuming you got a ticket. Most likely for Failure to Maintain Safe Distance.

Call the district court in about a week (takes a few days for the ticket go on the database) and ask for an informal hearing. Since this is your first ticket, the judge and the cop should go easy on you. Ask for no points. It's quite possible that you could get off without receiving points on your license. This will help somewhat in keeping your insurance premium down.

Other than that, call your insurance company, file a claim. Pay your deductible and get your car fixed. There's no way to avoid an increase in the premium, since the other party will file a claim with his company and they will come after your carrier for the damages. They will find out one way or another. You might as well get the insurance company to pay for your damages.

Be more careful next time. You've got a nice car and I'm sure it hurts to have crashed it. I've been there, though. You'll be alright.

Good luck.
Old 02-16-2004, 08:50 PM

Originally posted by Pure Adrenaline
Looks like about 3 grand in damages. How fast were you going?

I don't know how it works in California, but this is what I would do in Michigan.

Now, I'm assuming you got a ticket. Most likely for Failure to Maintain Safe Distance.

Call the district court in about a week (takes a few days for the ticket go on the database) and ask for an informal hearing. Since this is your first ticket, the judge and the cop should go easy on you. Ask for no points. It's quite possible that you could get off without receiving points on your license. This will help somewhat in keeping your insurance premium down.

Other than that, call your insurance company, file a claim. Pay your deductible and get your car fixed. There's no way to avoid an increase in the premium, since the other party will file a claim with his company and they will come after your carrier for the damages. They will find out one way or another. You might as well get the insurance company to pay for your damages.

Be more careful next time. You've got a nice car and I'm sure it hurts to have crashed it. I've been there, though. You'll be alright.

Good luck.

no ticket...he asked how far we were and only gave me the number to pick up a copy of the police report in approx 10 days. Thank goodness.

I guess when i TRY to look at the brightside of things...I didnt have a body kit on or the clear bra I was put on etc etc. I called up a buddy of mine that had work done and it looks cherry when they were finished...better than new. I should be in good hands. just so freakin depressing.
Like you said the prems will go up, but they will drop off later. Ha, i guess I cant procrasnate on my windshield now...I already had a claim in to replace that but just never did...might as well do that too.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:04 PM
Suzuka Master

You will probably just see an increase in premium because of the loss of your accident free standing.

As long as your not hurt it really doesn't matter. It is a car, you pay for insurance for some reason.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by anothercls
You will probably just see an increase in premium because of the loss of your accident free standing.

As long as your not hurt it really doesn't matter. It is a car, you pay for insurance for some reason.
my back feels all tight and bothers me, but I'm not saying jack...just another reason for them to increase stuff. If I put some icy hot on it, I should be cool. hopefully.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Banned

Well, sorry to see that that happened. Like the others said, we have insurance for a reason, be glad u werent hurt.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:51 PM
GEB
Racer

Ouch! Look on the bright side, no one got hurt. Now is the time to plan for that body kit! Try to find a shop that will work with you on the cost. They will get a check from your insurance company to pay for restoration ... maybe try to use some used panels/hood to get the cost down and put the extra money into a body kit. If not, try to get the shop to give you a discount on the paint and install of the body kit ... it's one way to make a bad situation better.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by GEB
Ouch! Look on the bright side, no one got hurt. Now is the time to plan for that body kit! Try to find a shop that will work with you on the cost. They will get a check from your insurance company to pay for restoration ... maybe try to use some used panels/hood to get the cost down and put the extra money into a body kit. If not, try to get the shop to give you a discount on the paint and install of the body kit ... it's one way to make a bad situation better.

yeah..i'm glad nobody got hurt. but we'll see if he claims injury...hopefully not. the chp said that he told him he was fine. which is good since that will go on his report.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:55 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by RaptorCLS
my back feels all tight and bothers me, but I'm not saying jack...just another reason for them to increase stuff. If I put some icy hot on it, I should be cool. hopefully.
Probably a strain, but have it evaluated. For your personal health, you can use your own health insurance, and not coverage you may have with your auto policy.
Old 02-16-2004, 10:56 PM
Sold but not Forgotten...

sorry to see that bro... thts hurts... if you had accident forgiveness on your policy this accident wont even show on your record... find out if you did or if you didn't...
Old 02-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
holy shit. sorry to see those pics.... it could have been worse..
Old 02-16-2004, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by babyblue
sorry to see that bro... thts hurts... if you had accident forgiveness on your policy this accident wont even show on your record... find out if you did or if you didn't...
accident forgiveness?? does something like that exsist? I know my buddy at work I spoke to tonight said that one time he didnt get any raise in prems. i wonder if that is what that was.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:16 PM
Subie Dubie

Glad you're O.K. Hope everything works out
Old 02-16-2004, 11:29 PM
Sweet as Gold

Car ain't soo bad and ur both alive and well. Everyone know's that the guy that gets rear-ended is gonna say his neck hurts, including the insurance agents and the judge. You have insurance..well this is what it's for. You should be fine and ur premium will go up. but ur OK right!!
Old 02-16-2004, 11:30 PM
2 C Not 2 Touch

Glad you're OK! But I'm sorry to say they'll say it's your fault since you rear-ended the guy. Now matter how fast you were going or how far you were following, they will come up with some shit. Just be on a look out for a lawsuit by the guy you rear-ended. He says it's fine now, but he could claim that it started to hurt later. This is based on experience because the same crap happened to me and vice versa. I sued some guy for rear-ending me on the freeway at 70mph. I wasn't in pain then, but the soreness crept up later.
Old 02-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by RaptorCLS
accident forgiveness?? does something like that exsist? I know my buddy at work I spoke to tonight said that one time he didnt get any raise in prems. i wonder if that is what that was.
Exactly, my next one is forgiven. From my GEICO policy:

Accident forgiveness

In most states, customers who have not had an at-fault accident in the previous five years qualify for this program. Accident forgiveness means that GEICO won't add a surcharge to your premium after your next at-fault accident.

Check your policy to see if something similar exists.

Glad to hear no one was hurt.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

well.. glad your ok... sorry bro...
Old 02-17-2004, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by TranceFusion
well.. glad your ok... sorry bro...

thanks..

thanks everyone...
Old 02-17-2004, 11:57 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by kensteele
Exactly, my next one is forgiven. From my GEICO policy:

Accident forgiveness

In most states, customers who have not had an at-fault accident in the previous five years qualify for this program. Accident forgiveness means that GEICO won't add a surcharge to your premium after your next at-fault accident.

Check your policy to see if something similar exists.

Glad to hear no one was hurt.
A lot of insurers have this for good drivers -- essentially the first claim is a freebie (so to speak), but a subsequent claim won't be.

My understanding is that if you have the second claim, both claims will be counted against you (i.e., the first claim is never forgotten).
Old 02-17-2004, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

damn that is the worst spot as far as repairs are concerned

new hood
new bumper
new fender
new headlamps + HIDS
new intake
new plastic fender lining

sidemarker
Old 02-17-2004, 01:17 PM

i wonder what they are going to do with the Intake issue?

they going to just put in the oem or acutally order a new aem for me? I guess I can ask when i get to the shop
Old 02-17-2004, 01:33 PM
Racer

I had an accident back on dec 29th, just got my cls back, I hit a sidewall on the interstate where I hdyroplaned. All of the damage was to the front of the car, it was $13,000 in damage after taxes. I had ground effects and comptech transmission cooler on the car, and insurance paid for both parts and paid to get the ground effects painted and put on. MY insurance contract comes up this month, so I have no idea what my premiums will be. I have State Farm.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
Glad you're alright Raptor. I've been in a three of accidents (1 totaled) in my 16 years of driving and I can say that neither of the non-totalled cars were ever the same afterwards.

IMHO, have your ride fixed (insurance) and sell it. I think this could be your chance flip it into a 2k4 TL 6MT. $.02
Old 02-17-2004, 10:33 PM

cool...i guess they are going to take care of my intake too. they called me up to ask how much it was and if I had any other aftermarket items on.
Old 02-17-2004, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by F23A4
IMHO, have your ride fixed (insurance) and sell it. I think this could be your chance flip it into a 2k4 TL 6MT. $.02
thanks F2....if i do sell it, I'll be losing money though..probably too much to make me want to sell it.
Old 02-18-2004, 05:07 AM
Kabachitare!

Hang in there, we are all human and make mistakes. At least no one was seriously hurt and you can get through the insurance maze a little bit at a time.

I know right after an accident you get this gut-wrenching feeling but in time it will pass, a new day will come, and a new 270 hp TL will be waiting as the dawn breaks.
Old 02-20-2004, 07:15 PM

EXCELLENT...

spoke with the body shop guy yesterday and he is going to hook me up!!!!

Shop: Where did you order the intake?
Me: autocarparts.com
Shop: oh cool, well we have internet access here, we'll get that ordered immediatly so we can start working on your car.

Shop: Did you have any after bulbs?
Me: Yes, poloarg M6's in the driving lights location.
Shop: No prob, we'll get that ordered too.

Shop: I see you have a few scratches on your rims. We can take care of that too.
Me: cool, thanks

Shop: You have a dent on the back here...we can get rid of that for ya too.
Me: excellent

Shop: Well, I dont see much of anything else, do you?
(the man got everything)
Me: nope, thanks

Me: Hey, I was wondering even though I already put a claim in for my windshield, can I get that replaced here too.
Shop: Sure, we can do that for you. I bet they have you pay like a comprehesive...we'll take care of that.
Me: Thanks

Me: SInce I'm here and you'll be doing painting anyways...how much does it cost to paint the engine cover?
Shop: Oh yeah, I was looking at that. We'll go ahead and do that for you. We'll be painting a lot anyways..no big deal. Hey would you also like to redo the intake to match the body color. We can do that and also ensure it doesnt effect anything on the intake?
Me: Sure man, thanks
Shop: No problem

Shop: Going to anywhere to show your car, like the aparagus festival or anything? Well, if you do, let people know about us.

etc etc

Cool deal man...accident is working out for the best after all