Got Boost? Yea Baby! The '03 TL-S is Blown!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2003, 12:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by CLS2001_97124
Nice setup!!! The more auto I see with S/C, the more I want to get one myself!!!

No Sh!t just when I think I'm done with mods they start to perfect this SC,,, now if I can just buy a used one somewhere,, need low $$$$ ?????
Old 05-30-2003, 12:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by r10apple
No kidding, I'm rubbing like a cricket over here!!! Very, very nice...
found that very funny
Old 05-30-2003, 12:49 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Guys, someone in NY get the SC. Chris you need some new mods, I think the SC is calling your name.
Old 05-30-2003, 03:10 PM
What, me drive fast?

mmmm...supercharger....

as I get a glassy eyed dreamy look in my eyes....
Old 05-30-2003, 03:49 PM
Revving at 9K...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn... I got the cash that I was going to get the used S2K with... but now.. I'm reconsidering...
Old 05-30-2003, 03:59 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very nice setup. Get to the track ASAP so we can see some times!

Best of luck with the S/C.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by darrinb
here

http://www.tonyromas.com/tonyromaslo...ntry=USA&ST=MI

i think they are building one over here, but i only eat there when i'm on vacation. best food i have ever eaten!!!
Thanks for the heads up, I'm always into a good slab of ribs.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:40 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That looks like a pretty strange setup too. I don't know I've ever seen a Roots style blower bolted in-line with the intake. Usually it sits on top of the intake and acts as the upper plenum. I'm assuming they designed it that way so that it would fit under the OEM hood and I'm sure the dual stage intake helps out with efficiency.

Is it a twin screw? What psi are you pushing right now? Is is intercooled? How's the blower whine?

Just curious because I might consider it if I have some money later this year.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by jtkz13
That looks like a pretty strange setup too. I don't know I've ever seen a Roots style blower bolted in-line with the intake. Usually it sits on top of the intake and acts as the upper plenum. I'm assuming they designed it that way so that it would fit under the OEM hood and I'm sure the dual stage intake helps out with efficiency.

Is it a twin screw? What psi are you pushing right now? Is is intercooled? How's the blower whine?

Just curious because I might consider it if I have some money later this year.
I believe it's an Eaton P-62, twin screw blower. No boost gauge yet, maybe 4 1/2 psi. There is a bit of a whine under boost, but when it's not boosing, it sounds more like an extra accessory pulley,... barely noticable unless your sitting still. At WOT the whole set-up screams!!
Old 05-30-2003, 09:51 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Dayum, only 4 1/2 psi huh I guess that's what you get for buying a high compression engine. :o

A nice 9:1 compression ratio and about 10 psi with race gas would move nicely.

It looks like a pretty quality kit. If someone didn't know much about cars they might think it's just another factory accessory.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by jtkz13
Dayum, only 4 1/2 psi huh I guess that's what you get for buying a high compression engine. :o

A nice 9:1 compression ratio and about 10 psi with race gas would move nicely.

It looks like a pretty quality kit. If someone didn't know much about cars they might think it's just another factory accessory.
The Si in the sig is high compresion, but the ability to remap fuel and timing curves with Hondata, alows 10+ psi safe. It's just a matter of time before we get some sort of engine management for our cars, then we can push the boost! For now, with this car, 4 1/2 psi will do.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by ModAddict
I believe it's an Eaton P-62, twin screw blower. No boost gauge yet, maybe 4 1/2 psi.
Congrats and nice to see the completion.

BTW, it is the Eaton/Magnuson MP62 Gen IV blower to be exact. I'm curious as to the boost levels seen by the automatics. In the manual, I now see about 4 - 4.5 max in fourth gear. First gear only generates about 2.5 and second gear about 3.5 PSI. I know the loading is different with the automatic so the amount would be interesting to learn.
Old 05-31-2003, 12:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by scalbert

BTW, it is the Eaton/Magnuson MP62 Gen IV blower to be exact. I'm curious as to the boost levels seen by the automatics. In the manual, I now see about 4 - 4.5 max in fourth gear. First gear only generates about 2.5 and second gear about 3.5 PSI. I know the loading is different with the automatic so the amount would be interesting to learn.
Scalbert, can you answer a couple (hundred) questions? I have to get the tranny cooler in this wekend between graduation parties. The boost gauge and A/F wideband lamda meter are next. I remember you changed the location of the sender of your boost gauge. Where did you end up with it? I'll let you know where the boost numbers end up.

My lamda meter has tha ability to send a narrow band signal to the ecu with an adjustable stoic value. Do you think I could tune by adjusting the stoic value sent to the ecu? I can also tap into other ecu inputs to log data along with the a/f. I'm thinking throttle position and rpm. Do we have a knock sensor, and what else do you watch? Fuel trim, long and short term,....ect.....?

Did you ever do anything with the intake manifold actuator?

Do you know the size of your pullies? I assume they are the same. I have a 4" on the blower and 3 1/4" on the stepper, overall dia. I assume the crank pullies are the same. How big is the boost pulley?

I know that's alot of questions. Here's another one. Can you help?
Old 05-31-2003, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Where did you end up with it? I'll let you know where the boost numbers end up.
I ended with a tap in the line feed the EVAP purge solenoid. This is also where I tapped in for my now unused pressure switch.

Do you think I could tune by adjusting the stoic value sent to the ecu? I can also tap into other ecu inputs to log data along with the a/f. I'm thinking throttle position and rpm. Do we have a knock sensor, and what else do you watch?
Actually you can to a point. By causing the car to think it is running richer or leaner through falsifying the O2 sensor signal you can make it run a little on the side you prefer. Just don't go too far as the HO2S2 will catch it if they are too far out of sync.

We do have a knock sensor but IMO, it is deaf. The only reading you will really want to watch for is A/F ratio with your lambda meter, very nice to have!!! Unless you have a scan tool that can show KR or knock counts your lambda meter is the shiat.

Did you ever do anything with the intake manifold actuator?
The IMRC plates are out right now but the jury is still out. I'll have to see the results on the dyno. Boost is up at the lower revs by about 1 PSI but I'm not sure if there is any additional power. With the temps in the mid 80's it is hard to discern any power gains as the AC compressor keeps turning off and on depending on throttle input.

Do you know the size of your pullies? I assume they are the same. I have a 4" on the blower and 3 1/4" on the stepper, overall dia.
That sounds about right from what I recall. Have fun running under boost. .
Old 05-31-2003, 06:08 PM
Pro

types1967 aka eric

good luck and welcome to the supercharged club now we have a few cls and tl blown.i love mine and use it everday for those ricers
Old 05-31-2003, 09:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just don't go too far as the HO2S2 will catch it if they are too far out of sync.
Is the HO2S2 the second O2 sensor after the cat? If so, couldn"t I get an O2 simm for that one if need be?
Old 05-31-2003, 09:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: types1967 aka eric

Originally posted by types1967
good luck and welcome to the supercharged club now we have a few cls and tl blown.i love mine and use it everday for those ricers
Thanks Eric! Gotta love it, eh.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Is the HO2S2 the second O2 sensor after the cat? If so, couldn"t I get an O2 simm for that one if need be?
You are correct on both parts, HO2S2 (Hot O2 Sensor 2) and a sim would work if obviously taken off the return line from your lambda meter.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:01 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by CLS2001_97124
Damn... I got the cash that I was going to get the used S2K with... but now.. I'm reconsidering...
And a voice is saying " Supercharger, Supercharger, Supercharger "
Old 06-01-2003, 07:06 PM
Subie Dubie

Congrats Mod and welcome to the club. Are you gonna put on the stickers or go stealth ?
Old 06-01-2003, 09:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

I got the boost gauge installed today. It self calibrates each time it powers up. It's a full sweep electronic Autometer and only goes up to 15 psi. I knew I'd be running lower boost, so a larger scale from 0-10 psi makes it easier to read. Anyway, it runs right up to 5 psi at ALL the shift points, well I didn't have enough road for the 4-5 shift. I tried gate shifting and it will hit 5 1/2 at the rev limiter, (oops).
Old 06-02-2003, 12:49 AM
Subie Dubie

I got the boost gauge installed today. It self calibrates each time it powers up. It's a full sweep electronic Autometer and only goes up to 15 psi. I knew I'd be running lower boost, so a larger scale from 0-10 psi makes it easier to read. Anyway, it runs right up to 5 psi at ALL the shift points, well I didn't have enough road for the 4-5 shift. I tried gate shifting and it will hit 5 1/2 at the rev limiter, (oops).
How about some pics of the gauge.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Anyway, it runs right up to 5 psi at ALL the shift points,
Cool, that is good to hear. 5 PSI, more than I see, where are you sourcing the pressure signal??
Old 06-02-2003, 01:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Modaddict, can you tell me what type of autometer model you used and where I can pick on up? Thanks!
Old 06-02-2003, 07:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by MtBikR
Modaddict, can you tell me what type of autometer model you used and where I can pick on up? Thanks!
Phantom #5776 by Auto Meter; 30 in Hg.-Vac./15 PSI w/Peak
Memory and Warning, Includes sender and T-fitting.

I picked it up at http://www.laneautomotive.com/ . Their showroom is an hour away from me. It's attached to a huge wharehouse for their wholsale buisiness. I swear they have anything, and everything, in stock.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Cool, that is good to hear. 5 PSI, more than I see, where are you sourcing the pressure signal??
There is a small vacuum line comming out of the back of the intake manifold, on the right side, going to what looked like some sort of solonoid. I assumed that's what you were talking about when you said " the line feed the EVAP purge solenoid". Remember I have stock exhaust manifolds, so there's probably more back pressure, so more boost pressure. I bet after headers, I will loose boost preasure. The thing that I was wondering with your boost numbers, is that you see less boost in 1st gear, then higher in 2nd, and higher in 3rd. Mine just gets to peak boost pressure quicker in 1st then takes a little longer to get to peak boost the higher the gear, but always peaks at 5 psi. I am convinced that I could get to 5 1/2-6 psi, if I could raise the rev limiter just a bit.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:40 PM
Old timer

Video?

Old 06-02-2003, 08:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by JRock
Video?

You want in car, or fly-by? Let me guess, both? Dyno too maybe? I'll need some time,...a week or two,....allright I know it's allready been a week.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Red Rider
How about some pics of the gauge.
Send me your email, I'll send you a bad picture, but you'll get the idea. I tried to get a good one but nothing seamed to work. Maybe tomorrow when it's daylight I'll try again.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:47 AM
Suzuka Master

There is a small vacuum line comming out of the back of the intake manifold,..." the line feed the EVAP purge solenoid".

Remember I have stock exhaust manifolds, so there's probably more back pressure, so more boost pressure. I bet after headers, I will loose boost preasure.

The thing that I was wondering with your boost numbers, is that you see less boost in 1st gear, then higher in 2nd, and higher in 3rd.
Yep, that is the same line I used which feeds the EVAP solenoid.

Ah, yes, you are waiting on headers and I agree; that will make a difference in the amount of boost realized. It may drop on the order of 0.5 PSI or more which puts it in line with the manual. But this will be a very interesting thing to see the results. It should be a good indicator of the header's ability to scavenge. Have fun monkeying with those Allen head bolts again; I don't envy that chore.

I wonder it is a simple fact of the torque converter allowing the engine speed to be higher the output speed when compared to the manual. This is more than likely the case and would explain why in 1st you see max boost right away as this would have the higher stall ratio invoked.
Old 06-03-2003, 08:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Have fun monkeying with those Allen head bolts again; I don't envy that chore.
If you see me selling a brand new set of Stone racing headers you'll know why!

This is more than likely the case and would explain why in 1st you see max boost right away as this would have the higher stall ratio invoked.
I don't see max boost right away, I see 2 1/2 psi right away, then it builds to 5 psi, in every gear. The lower the gear the quicker it gets to max boost.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:02 AM
Old timer

You want in car, or fly-by? Let me guess, both? Dyno too maybe? I'll need some time,...a week or two,....allright I know it's allready been a week.
Some nice launch and acceleration runs past a cameraman would rock.

Maybe set him up a couple hundred feet down from you, launch and go flying by and catch you spinning 2nd and hear you catch third a little ways past him.

And yeah in-car is good too.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:52 AM
Old timer

bump for vids
Old 06-08-2003, 06:05 PM
Old timer

any from this weekend?
Old 06-09-2003, 05:50 AM
Old timer

guess notbump
Old 06-09-2003, 01:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by JRock
any from this weekend?
Rainy weekend , and the half day that was decent was filled with domestic chores. I did manage to get the V1 hardwired though.
Old 06-11-2003, 09:49 AM
Old timer

Still raining?
Old 06-22-2003, 08:23 AM
Old timer

video?
Old 06-28-2003, 06:39 AM
Old timer

long storm
Old 06-28-2003, 08:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Didn't forget,...but I am borrowing the cam,....