girlfriend might be getting a GTP

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002 | 01:37 PM
go like hell

girlfriend might be getting a GTP

I don't read many car sales ads other than Honda,Acura,Toyota and Nissan(mostly imports) but she's likes both Imports and GMC products(Pontiac,Chevy,Buick,Olds(well whatever left of it ) the local GMC dealer is having no intrest for 5 years(and I'm almost sure Honda can't touch that with the new Accords)(no offence against the Accord cause they are tight but usually on a new model year they don't do big sales promotions) anyhow she thought the GTP only came in a 2 door (she's a hardcore 4 door chick) I thought I one or 2 times saw a 4 Door GTP. she kept on thinking I was nuts cause I said I think Pontiac makes a 4 door GTP. So finally i convienced her to go on pontiac's website and check out the 4 door GTP. so finally she did(and she felt kind of bad cause I was right:P )I guess this weekend she wants to go check out here's her list at the GM dealer(cause the GM dealer is pretty big he carries i think all the GMC brands)
Pontiac Grand Prix (hopefully the GTP) 4 door
Olds Intrique GL 4 door
Buick Regal 4 door
Old 08-12-2002 | 01:43 PM
teh Senior Instigator

From: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
GTP is a great car, I strongly considered getting one before I got my CL, and alot of the time i wish i had, they can be real beasts
Old 08-12-2002 | 01:57 PM
Banned

hahaha, get ready because your girlfriend will be smokin your ass in her 4 door GTP...
Old 08-12-2002 | 02:01 PM
Old timer

It's a decent car for a domestic. Tacky interior and disgusting exhaust note are the top two things that turned me off to it.
Old 08-12-2002 | 02:12 PM
go like hell

yeah she'll have her fun of toasting me for about 2-3 years in her GTP but once I get my Blue CL type S then it's my turn:P. I wanted her to get a CL type S no navigation but she said it's too much .(but a GTP is still pretty tight i think) (not the catagory of a CL-S but not a "boring car") she was thinking about getting a used S2000(cause there's a silver on about 10 or 15 miles from where she lived) and it looks nice but if she gets hit almost anywhere it's totaled. the GTP bigger plus it's a 4 door. no she's not getting a 4 door cause we like in it. she already told me no in the new car. I said we gotta break it in sometime
Old 08-12-2002 | 02:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Water-S
yeah she'll have her fun of toasting me for about 2-3 years in her GTP but once I get my Blue CL type S then it's my turn:P. I wanted her to get a CL type S no navigation but she said it's too much .(but a GTP is still pretty tight i think) (not the catagory of a CL-S but not a "boring car") she was thinking about getting a used S2000(cause there's a silver on about 10 or 15 miles from where she lived) and it looks nice but if she gets hit almost anywhere it's totaled. the GTP bigger plus it's a 4 door. no she's not getting a 4 door cause we like in it. she already told me no in the new car. I said we gotta break it in sometime

hate to break it to ya brotha, but unless you get a 6 speed CL-S and are a GOOD driver, she will smoke you in that too...GTPs are no joke....also, my g/f has a 1997 grand prix 4 door (not GTP) and shes a tiny little girl and her car is huuuge, its bigger than the CL-S she looks cute as hell drivin it, but its kinda funny to see a little chick drivin a big ol' 4 door sedan like that
Old 08-12-2002 | 02:42 PM
Racer

I had a 2000 GTP 2 door before my CL and I liked a lot of things about it. But there were a lot of things I disliked also.....

Dislikes
I agree with a previous post, the exhaust sound is horrible
I didn't mind the interior but it is all plastic, kind of cheap looking
The leather is horrible
Horrible gas milage around town
Sagging back end
No feel from the steering wheel, to easy to turn the wheels
Many Many Many rattles, many more than the CL

Tons of room for a coupe, huge back seat and large trunk
On board computer giving mpg, miles to empty ect.
Heads up Display - giving MPH, CD Track # and radio station
The steering wheel controls were by far superior to the CL's
On, Off switch for fog/running lights
Large Sunroof opening compared to the small one on the CL
Dual Climate Control

If the car didn't break down so often I would still be driving it, I loved the car, even with all the dislikes. but I put less than 21,000 miles on it and it was in the shop for a total of 4 weeks.

22,000 miles on my CL and in the shop 0 days
Old 08-12-2002 | 04:56 PM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

Get the gtp if she cares more about performance (meaning just raw power, not necessarily handling wise) then reliability.

Also, dont hold ur breathe on the gen-3 CL either
Old 08-12-2002 | 05:08 PM
Honkey

If my girl wanted a GTP I'd kick her to the curb!
Old 08-12-2002 | 05:43 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Re: girlfriend might be getting a GTP

If you think that Acura automatics die a quick death then wait till you go on their message board. Besides, you can't beat GM quality... NOT!
Old 08-13-2002 | 12:56 AM
Buckle Up

I'm driving a 2000 4dr GTP until I get my brothers CL. The GTP is an awesome car, I havent had any problems with it and its so damn fast. The interior sucks but I love the car.
Old 08-13-2002 | 01:57 AM
Advanced

You might want

You might have her check forums and a few magazines before buying that car. The power is good but that's about it. I will never buy a Pontiac after stories from a few acquantances and driving in a couple of them.
Old 08-13-2002 | 03:06 AM
Cruisin'

As with everythign guys, it just depends on the car. Face it, some people get lemons.....i mean in terms of reliability. But yeah, pontiac cars like the GTP got balls to spare. I was considering one before i got my CLS. But from personal experience I think pontiac engines are tough. We got a '91 bonneville SE with 350,000km on it.....and its only been in the shop for a minor oil leak, just recently. other than that the only other breakdowns it had were cosmetic.....power windows, door handles, etc. So i guess it all depends on the car u get....I personally stay away from domestics, but I still think those pontiac engines are pretty decent....and yeah, torque up the a$$ too
Old 08-13-2002 | 07:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: girlfriend might be getting a GTP

Originally posted by Klamalama
If you think that Acura automatics die a quick death then wait till you go on their message board.
Hrmmm, that is interesting, as I know the 4T65E transmission very well and it is possibly the stoutest for a FWD transaxles... Secondly, the primary GP message boards rarely speak of transaxle problems except when the owners are pushing serious power (TORQUE) and run them hard, particularly in an autocross.

The 3800 Series II SC engine mated to the 4T65E transaxle may not be the most sophisticated systems, but they certainly can handle power and longevity. Heck, the block of the 3800 Series II has the same origins as the 3.8 Liter Turbo in the GN/T-Type which can defintiely handle 600+ HP without internal mods. The 4T65E transaxle is underrated at about 320LB/Ft, and was sold to other makes such as Volvo. Try putting that amount of torque through the CL 5-Speed...
Old 08-13-2002 | 02:52 PM
__

Originally posted by kooly
....I personally stay away from domestics, but I still think those pontiac engines are pretty decent....and yeah, torque up the a$$ too
So the engines on Pontiac's have a higher quality than the same engines on the other GM junk?
Old 08-13-2002 | 04:03 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

My brother used to have a 99 (I think it was) GTP 4 door... I drove it and hated the way it drove... like someone else said, the steering is waaay too light.

Be sure that if your GF gets it, she checks and rechecks everything right after getting it. My bro had issues with the radio system that didn't appear outright at first. The good thing was he brought it back about 2 days after taking delivery and they just gave him a new car instead of fixing it. That was neat.
Old 08-13-2002 | 04:23 PM
An ETC Owner

The GM HD 4T80-E is the most powerful FWD transaxle. It is used in all of the Northstar Caddys. All of the 4T60/65/80 Tannies are easily buildable to hold almost anything.

The 3800 Series II Supercharged Engine is die-hard.

Pontiac Interiorsa suck, i HATE the gauges, other than that they look nice.

Just not the car for me.

I like the 4.6L 32V 4 Cam 300hp V under my hood.

GTPs are ok, just dont hope for an Acura build quality.
Old 08-13-2002 | 07:14 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by Acura3.0CLP
So the engines on Pontiac's have a higher quality than the same engines on the other GM junk?

I wasn't saying that. I haven't driven any other GM junk....just my bonneville, which shares the same 3800 series engine as the GTP, minus the supercharger......and the engine held up nicely for me.
Old 09-02-2002 | 09:07 PM
Cruisin'

The engine in the GTP is only 240 horsepower. Its very old school. About 20 year old technology. I think a tweaked CL can easily take it.
Old 09-02-2002 | 09:13 PM
?!?

a guy who is sure to post in this thread soon has a gtp, and i agree the interior is ghey, but it hauls ass, and with a few changes (sc pullies, etc) it can go even faster
Old 09-03-2002 | 01:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

boooooost