Get out the BS meter, and an vomit bag.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2001, 09:43 AM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get out the BS meter, and an vomit bag.

From Bose's FAQ on their website regarding their OEM car audio products.

Why can’t I get a list of technical specifications?

Because our custom-engineered, complete system solutions largely supersede conventional audio measurements. Even some basic building blocks have been redefined -- including amplifiers, speakers and equalizers. But most importantly, everything is integrated and works together for results that vary significantly from those provided by conventional systems made up of individual, unmatched components. For example, with a Bose automotive system the location and design of the speakers can be much more important factors in determining the output than the wattage power rating. The bottom line? The best tests of a Bose system’s sound quality aren’t a list of specifications, but your ears.

------------------
- The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.

01 Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
Dunlop SP5000 215/50/17
Navigation-Spoiler-Muds-Wheel locks-35% Tint-PIAA wedges-V1 and remote
Old 05-08-2001, 10:08 AM
Safety Car

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rock Dog:

For example, with a Bose automotive system the location and design of the speakers can be much more important factors in determining the output than the wattage power rating.

</font>
I think imaging is very important and I do hope that Bose spends their time pointing the speakers into the direction of the driver to create all around sound. Bose is not the best factory system out there, but deffinetly very worthwhile. While our system is not very loud and could use a subwoofer, it is still highly quicklity sound throughout the power band.

------------------
---------------------
'01 CLS Satin Silver w/Black, Navi-less, spoiler,
Tint 15%, Polarqs M6s, Desired Mods: 18" Wheels/tires, Springs/Sways, CAI, subwoofer.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...513&a=12224080
The one thing that unites all human beings, regardless of age, gender, religion, economic status or ethnic background, is that deep down inside, we ALL believe that we are above average drivers.
Old 05-08-2001, 10:24 AM
FvCK KNvCKLE

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Big_Pimp's_Type_S:
Originally posted by Rock Dog:

For example, with a Bose automotive system the location and design of the speakers can be much more important factors in determining the output than the wattage power rating.

</font>
I think imaging is very important and I do hope that Bose spends their time pointing the speakers into the direction of the driver to create all around sound. Bose is not the best factory system out there, but deffinetly very worthwhile. While our system is not very loud and could use a subwoofer, it is still highly quicklity sound throughout the power band.

Imaging is fine. Output vs distortion, very nice. But as far as reproduction and clarity, I find the system to be muddy at best. And the positioning of the speakers, the tweeters are horible. Next time you play a source with a lot of high end info, lean forward and stick your head between them. Hey, that's where all the high end went.

------------------
- The sum of the intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.

01 Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
Dunlop SP5000 215/50/17
Old 05-08-2001, 10:55 AM
Instructor

I think there must be something wrong with your stereo. I hear plenty of highs in my car, in fact I have the treble control almost flat. I do have the bass control turned up several notches though even with a subwoofer.

What I hear is a clean sounding stock stereo. Vocals are clear and defined, Bose put emphasis on the mid-range in the CL stereo, thats for sure. Now, Imaging and soundstaging are two things that are hard to detect and define in the small confines of a car. There is very little placement of sounds, especially at higher volumes, You are just surrounded in sound.

Overall, for a stock system I think the bose sounds fine. You would have to spend a lot of money on Eclpise, Alpine, Fosgate, etc... to drastically improve performance.

Its no Levinson, but it's not a $5000.00 option either!

------------------
2001 CL-P Emerald/Parchment
Soon to be tinted, and Stickered!
Old 05-08-2001, 11:27 AM
Prez & GC, .Net

There's an old adage from all the audiophiles out there. "Bose Blows"

Unfortunately, Acura chose to use Bose for their speaker/sound choice. Acura bought into all of Bose's millions of dollars of 'research' into how to effectively market an ineffective system. A set of Energy Take 5's will blow any of the Bose surround systems out of the water and at $600/set, there's no comparison...but I digress...

I've heard the system in my friends car. It's nice. But not THAT nice. Like Matt said...at least you all didn't have to pay that much extra for it. And it's certainly a step above the usual Honda/Acura crap sound system, so I guess ANY improvement is better than none at all.

Dizzy

------------------
1998 Red Accord EX-V6 Coupe
AEM CAI
AEM Pulleys
Denso Iridium Spark Plugs
Tokico Illuminas
Eibach Pro-Kit
Neuspeed Strut Tower Bar
Wing's West Type-R Spoiler
Phillips BlueVision bulbs
16" Yokohama AVID V4 215
Valentine One
Red "H" Badge, front and rear
Old 05-08-2001, 11:55 AM
Drifting

Eventually, I will be ripping out my Bose speakers

Spiro

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
RED AEM CAI
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 05-08-2001, 12:10 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mattldm:
I think there must be something wrong with your stereo. I hear plenty of highs in my car, in fact I have the treble control almost flat. I do have the bass control turned up several notches though even with a subwoofer.
</font>
There's nothing wrong with my system. I just may be a little more discerning. It has no spark, no life. It's flat, bland and lacks color. As far as an OEM system goes, I think it pales in comparison to some of Infinity's higher end OEM stuff. I will say that the Bose system in my car is very good at minimizing distortion at high volume.

These topics are infinitely disagreeable in nature. Your ears and mine are completely different. I do have some loss in the 3K range. That comes from years spent in front of Marshall & Randall stacks, in small to medium clubs.

Be that as it may. I only made the original post to call attention to Bose's claims. In the past 2 decades their biggest asset, and greatest technological breakthrough has been PR and public perception!

"No highs, no lows. It must be Bose.

------------------

01 Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
Dunlop SP5000 215/50/17
Old 05-08-2001, 12:37 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
The problem ISNT Bose.

The problem is Acura is using the crappiest bose system in the world.

The Infiniti I30... which doesnt even have a high end bose system... sounds GREAT... extreme amounts of bass.... perfectly clear.

The new Q45 has a Bose system which blows the doors off any stock stereo system Ive ever heard including the Mark Levinson systems on new Lexi.

At the NY Auto Show they had all the doors and the trunk open on a Q45 with the Bose system blaring... you could hear it through the whole Jacob Javits center. And there wasnt a single rattle on the car.

Amazing.

We just got a cheap stereo system which happens to have a Bose logo on it. What do you expect when it comes standard?

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow FogsValentine 1Xephyr CAI

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity." -Albert Einstein
Old 05-08-2001, 01:14 PM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:
The problem ISNT Bose.

The problem is Acura is using the crappiest bose system in the world.

The Infiniti I30... which doesnt even have a high end bose system... sounds GREAT... extreme amounts of bass.... perfectly clear.

The new Q45 has a Bose system which blows the doors off any stock stereo system Ive ever heard including the Mark Levinson systems on new Lexi.

At the NY Auto Show they had all the doors and the trunk open on a Q45 with the Bose system blaring... you could hear it through the whole Jacob Javits center. And there wasnt a single rattle on the car.

Amazing.

We just got a cheap stereo system which happens to have a Bose logo on it. What do you expect when it comes standard?

</font>
I agree. To keep the price of the car down, they had to use low-end items in certain places, the stereo happened to be one of them. Another would have to be the quality of the leather.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi/No Spoiler
Competch springs
35% tint
PIAA 19169 bulbs
K&N 33-2178 air filter

The Aviation Zone
Old 05-08-2001, 01:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No one really uses high end stereo brands for the sound of their system. It's near impossible to reproduce the home system dynamics in a car. They only thing they're doing is buying the name brand. Think about it, would you rather buy a Chevy Corvette with an AC Delco stereo or a Bose stereo? Even if it sounded the exact same, you would pick the Bose. It's all about brand.
Old 05-08-2001, 02:42 PM
Team Owner

The "BLOWS" trademark should be: BOSE – “Better sound through better marketing”

I don’t mind BOSE so much except for the lack of BASS.
My Sub box is the only MOD to my stereo so far and I think it sounds great.
This is the first audio upgrade you should make before you think about ripping out the deck or speakers.

I’m sure handing over a 5,000 dollar check to StreetEffects would produce fabulous results, but I’m not quite ready for that yet.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER AMP w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Xephyr CAI - Shine by ZAINO
For Photos see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 05-08-2001, 03:13 PM
Old timer

My '98 Grand Am has the best stock system I've ever heard. I swear they hid a subwoofer somewhere. It's even got a ~9-band graphic equalizer. So nice (considering it's stock).

The Blose system in my CL-S is just "meh".

-J

------------------
2001 CL-S Aegean Blue/black interior spoiler, wheel locks, no-navi
Stock for now.
Old 05-09-2001, 12:17 AM
Retired. Not available.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MikeN:
I agree. To keep the price of the car down, they had to use low-end items in certain places, the stereo happened to be one of them. Another would have to be the quality of the leather.
</font>
Why did we buy CL-S? For the BOSE system? Hell no. Live with it. It's a minor thing.

------------------
'01 Silver CL-S
Painted Mud Guard
Silver Aluminum Pedals
Kenwood Amp with 10in. Pioneer sub.
(modified) CAI.

My Car
Old 05-09-2001, 01:38 AM
5th Gear

There is also another saying in the industry for Bose--
"Bose No High's No Lows Bose"
Old 05-09-2001, 02:53 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by equalizr:
There is also another saying in the industry for Bose--
"Bose No High's No Lows Bose"
</font>
Thought it was...

No Highs? No Lows? Must be Bose. lol

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow FogsValentine 1Xephyr CAI

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity." -Albert Einstein
Old 05-09-2001, 02:59 AM
Instructor

The Bose sounds a heck of lot better than the Infinity system in the Sebring that I had.

------------------

Beat the Bruins
Old 05-09-2001, 03:02 AM
w.t.f., mate?

I know it was mentioned before, but the I30 has a REALLY nice sound system...subwoofer and everything. I can't stress enough how nice sounding that system is...Infiniti touts that around as a major selling point.

I'm sure you all know this by now, but I was about to get an I30t before I Saw the CL-S...

------------------
_-Phil-_!
2K1 #10,029 Satin Silver CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia with Navi! Mods : XEPHYR PERFORMANCE CAI~3M Reflective Tint(37%) tint~Hiper Hibrid Plasma "Xenon" road lamps & high-beams~Uniden LRD 6599SWS Radar Detector~Shine by Meguiar's Gold Wax~Member of the Scratched Rims Club~Upgraded cupholder ~