Garmin Street Pilot III

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002 | 09:43 AM
Intermediate

Garmin Street Pilot III

Does anyone have the Garmin Street Pilot III GPS?

I am thinking about getting it and wanted some info.
Old 02-06-2002 | 09:58 AM
Drifting

I am also considering an aftermarket navigation system. I didn't get it on my CL cause i figured i would never use it since i never really travel. I sort of regret not getting it but im glad i didn't cause once you get rid of the CL the navi is gone. I figured i could buy an aftermarket one and just use it with any car i get. Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks in advance
Old 02-06-2002 | 10:06 AM
Advanced

Here's a very detailed review of the streetpilot III:

http://www.gpsinformation.net/spiii/sp3review.htm

A friend of mine purchased hers a few months ago, and loves it. Another friend just ordered his yesterday, should have it in hand by Thursday. Good prices online run about $750, but to unlock all US maps, it's an additional $170 or so. With 96 megs of memory, all maps unlocked, tax & shipping, it comes in just a little over a grand.

I prefer my nav system indash, but the SPIII seems to be a very decent product.
Old 02-06-2002 | 10:07 AM
Advanced

I really like the combination of laptop - StreetAtlas program - and Delorme's GPS box. But it is too much trouble to use casually.
Got to be really lost.

I want to add a nice compass to my CL but everything I've seen looks pretty junky.
Old 02-06-2002 | 10:49 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Re: Garmin Street Pilot III

Originally posted by jtardi01
Does anyone have the Garmin Street Pilot III GPS?

I am thinking about getting it and wanted some info.
Its works ok, but its certainly not as fast as the OE one on the CLS. Downtown chicago its almost useless if you make a wrong turn, you have to pull over and wait for the new route (2-5 minutes). Traveling state to state is ok... but you need to upload a detail map of the new city your going to if you travel too far away from the current one you have uploaded... Which also means you better have your notebook with you!

Needless to say I wasn't very impressed... Not really comparible to the OE one. But certainly one of the better aftermarket units without a mass storage device.

(I used one for a few weekends when traveling with a friend in his bimmer)
Old 02-06-2002 | 10:53 AM
has Gloryhole Girls in

i just got this for my ipaq 3835 and it works as good if not better than the other aftermkt navigation systems out there

Specifications
Dynamic Voice Navigation and Route Guidance, Listen to a human voice, not a robotic voice with spoken turn-by-turn directions to guide you to any address nationwide.

Driver Interface has large buttons for easier touch-screen operation and driver screen presents clear and concise navigation information to the lone driver and a map automatically appears as you approach each turn.

Data Download Wizard has trip planning to automatically selects data around your origin and destination as well as a corridor of data along your route, perfect for long trips!

Address Entry with easy one-step entry of home & work addresses and quick and easy access to your 25 most frequently visited addresses/places.

Address-to-address trip planning on your Pocket PC allows you to view complete turn-by-turn directions and maps of your trip before you get on the road.

Nationwide Database has street-level coverage of the entire continental US, 7 million miles of roadway and 100 million addresses, 3 million point of interest stored on your desktop or laptop that can be downloaded to your Pocket PC and more.

Package Contents: GPS Expansion Pack, Windshield Mount, Car power adapter, Software and Maps
Old 02-06-2002 | 10:57 AM
Intermediate

thanx

I will take a look at that review
Old 02-06-2002 | 11:34 AM
Intermediate

thanx

I will take a look at that review
Old 02-06-2002 | 01:16 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

I have a garmin street pilot 3 gps and a 128 meg memory module that I would like to sell.

Please email me if you're interested, I'm sure I can save you some money.

Phil: I got that shit for my ipaq and it won't work
did you need to do anything special to make it work?
Old 02-06-2002 | 06:39 PM
Race Director

The SPs are big and expensive. Unless you are really, really into all the GPS stuff, a regular GPS device like a GPSIII+ will provide you with all the maps and some frills (no colour) and much fun for under $200 used.