FYI: Update on Rotor Issues....

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002 | 03:03 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

FYI: Update on Rotor Issues....

I don't know if this has been addressed or not. I took my car in today for 15,000 mile service and my service rep called me not to long ago about saying that they are completed with service. I ask what was done and they said along with maintenance they replaced my brakes and resurfaced my rotors. I was like WTF! You didn't ask me to change them or anything but then she said that, there was an update on CLS brake pads for the early production models. She has told me that acura has figured out the problem with the brakes and they were not strong enough to handle our heavy cars. There is an update out there for them and we as CLS owner do not have to pay for replacing them.

The reason I am telling you guys b/c if you are not yet at 15,000 miles and you have a early production model, you should call your dealer and advice them about the problem b4 you suckered by one of those Cali dealers !

Tischer Acura in MD informed me about this, if you have questions called the service dept. 301-470-3130.

Peace OUT!
Old 01-10-2002 | 03:13 PM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

What is the build date of your car?
Old 01-10-2002 | 03:13 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Do they have a service bulletin number?
Old 01-10-2002 | 03:20 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

04 or 05/00 is my production date.

Nashua - When i pick my car up 2night I will ask if they have a service bulletin # and then post it.
Old 01-10-2002 | 03:47 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by ThoroDredCLS

Nashua - When i pick my car up 2night I will ask if they have a service bulletin # and then post it.
Thank you..
Old 01-10-2002 | 04:05 PM
Instructor

I would like to know too.

Thanks,

BLOWN 331
Old 01-10-2002 | 04:13 PM
Grand Turismo

Production Date

How can we find out the production date of our car?
Old 01-10-2002 | 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Definitely let us know.

This happened to my Accord at 33K and they made me pay for it. I just figured that that was that. Now, I am kinda pissed that Honda did not fix it under warranty.

I can definitely feel a very slight shake from my front (5k miles). I have to stop babying my brakes...
Old 01-10-2002 | 05:09 PM
Drifting

Re: Production Date

Originally posted by BakedWafer
How can we find out the production date of our car?
It's on the drivers door pillar..
Old 01-10-2002 | 05:41 PM
Grand Turismo

Cool

Thanks a lot.
Old 01-10-2002 | 05:48 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

More BULL$HIT from ACURA........

Well guys I tried for us CLSers. When I got to the dealer my service rep had already left for the day. I then went to the highers that be...the Service Manager. He gave me another story...

Here's what to do....we can not all show up at the dealer and be like "REPLACE MY BRAKES NOW!" Acura is trying to be very slick here. They will lose out money if we all run into the dealer and ask for new brake pads and rotors. ACURA DOES KNOW about the problem however, it's a hush-hush issue for now. We can go to the dealer on maintenance intervals and ask then to replace our brakes and if the rotors are warped then-and-only then will they replace the brakes and resurface the rotors. I also found out DO NOT LET your brakes get to the point of squealing.....then it's your fault. You must go in and as soon as you feel your rotors are warped or brake fade, go in and get the updated brake pads. Acura does not feel that it's a very big issue so, we can't go in to the service dept. asking for anything unless we really have a problem.

My thing is this....the guy gave me a demographic issue....and I took a look around and found out this.....Most of the drivers of cls are 40-65 (I am 24) and they don't drive their cars fast like us here who are enthusiasts. Most keep their cars parked and barely use their cars except on weekends. THEREFORE, they won't notice the brake fading, or warped rotors as fast as we do. Acura feels that the majority of people have not noticed the bad brakes and feels that we have to bring up the problem b4 they give us anything free. Sorry for the long post!
Old 01-10-2002 | 08:54 PM
K-Town Road Whore

My rotors started to warp bad enough to be annoying around 37.,000 miles. I took it in at 39,000 miles and bitched like hell about them. I got the new formula pads and the rotors turn N/C.

I now have 48,000 miles and so far, so good.
Old 01-10-2002 | 09:51 PM
*Hella* isn't a word.

Acura is seriously FUCKED up if it thinks it's got the demographics of the drivers of the CL are right. While that may be mostly true for the CLP, but most of the ppl I've seen and know that drive the TypeS variant are closer to 25-35....
Old 01-11-2002 | 12:22 AM
Suzuka Master

You guys have to bare in mind that alot of CL-S drivers in their 40s are not cool like me, being on this Board with all you 'babies'.

So, while you may think that the average age is 25-30, it may only be the average in this particular Board.

IMO
Old 01-11-2002 | 07:15 AM
'Cooter

Jens threw on the updated pads on my baby last month @ 11K just b/c i was curious to see what the status was (for a little while, there were conflicting reports here on the board such as there was an updated pad for just us, that the TL-S pads could b interchanged with our's, and that no "updated" pad existed)...well it seems that such updated pads DO exist for us, but i'm still not sure if they can b used in the TL as well, but that's besides the point...Jens at Park Ave. just threw them on b/c he's such a cool guy along with having my rotors resurfaced as well...these new pads are NOTICEABLY better...they feel more solid and stronger and have much better grip to them...as far as the rotors go, this is the 2nd time in 5,000 miles i've had them resurfaced...when i go back to Park Ave for my 15K, i might have them replaced under warranty.

as far as the demographics go, i'm not sure if i agree with the mentality...i think there's a fine line Honda walks if they're thinking of designing pads that fade but it's ok, b/c the driver's won't notice since they're so old...that's such a safety/liability issue (safety b/c the pads/rotors aren't physically designed well enough to handle the weight of the car and liability b/c all it takes is one big mouth from a Honda rep and one bad accident caused by bad brakes to land yerself one giant lawsuit)...i would hope that's not the real reason they design pads and rotors that way
Old 01-11-2002 | 07:59 AM
Shift_3.5 Auto

That's exactly what I said...

"If our rotors are warped it's because of the pads." I asked the manager why can I not tell other drivers about this problem. I think it's STUPID to wait until the rotors get warped b4 acura says "Ok we know the problem, let's fix it." Stop being cheap!That means acura won't fix the problem if you are not experiencing the problem. How does that sound?

Now that I have the new pads, I am praying that my rotors won't warp anytime soon. I can tell you this much tho, it was raining this morning and on my way to DC there are a lot of idiot drivers. I was able to test the brakes VERY WELL, and they feel a 100% better than the crap we had originally. This weekend will be clear weather, and I will do further testing on our new pads :P
Old 01-11-2002 | 09:53 AM
Advanced

Does anyone know when the updated pads were starting to be put on the CL-S's, or do all the CLS's have the shit pads on them still.

thanks

Deckard
Old 01-11-2002 | 10:23 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Re: More BULL$HIT from ACURA........

Well guys I tried for us CLSers. When I got to the dealer my service rep had already left for the day. I then went to the highers that be...the Service Manager. He gave me another story...

Here's what to do....we can not all show up at the dealer and be like "REPLACE MY BRAKES NOW!" Acura is trying to be very slick here. They will lose out money if we all run into the dealer and ask for new brake pads and rotors. ACURA DOES KNOW about the problem however, it's a hush-hush issue for now. We can go to the dealer on maintenance intervals and ask then to replace our brakes and if the rotors are warped then-and-only then will they replace the brakes and resurface the rotors. I also found out DO NOT LET your brakes get to the point of squealing.....then it's your fault. You must go in and as soon as you feel your rotors are warped or brake fade, go in and get the updated brake pads. Acura does not feel that it's a very big issue so, we can't go in to the service dept. asking for anything unless we really have a problem.

My thing is this....the guy gave me a demographic issue....and I took a look around and found out this.....Most of the drivers of cls are 40-65 (I am 24) and they don't drive their cars fast like us here who are enthusiasts. Most keep their cars parked and barely use their cars except on weekends. THEREFORE, they won't notice the brake fading, or warped rotors as fast as we do. Acura feels that the majority of people have not noticed the bad brakes and feels that we have to bring up the problem b4 they give us anything free. Sorry for the long post!
I just started to hear squealing and if i get any B.S. i am going APE SHIT! I haveing experienced any problems associated with bad rotors, maybe because i don't really drive hard my most of my driving is highway, so i had better not get any hassels. I don't think i will at Park Ave so it makes be feel better.
Old 01-11-2002 | 01:57 PM
Learn to swim

Originally posted by HellaWhat
Acura is seriously FUCKED up if it thinks it's got the demographics of the drivers of the CL are right. While that may be mostly true for the CLP, but most of the ppl I've seen and know that drive the TypeS variant are closer to 25-35....

That is pretty fucked of Acura. If you remember when the car first came out the ideal market Acura was looking for were "empty nesters" usually in their late twenty's and early thirty's.

It is also pretty fucked that Acura is willing to ignore a safety issue such as brakes. This is not a squeaky seat, or a relay for the A/C. These are brakes.

I think Honda/Acura makes plenty of money. Enough anyway, to make the financial excuse of replacing brakes null and void.

Maybe they should ask Mitsubushi what happens when an auto MFGer ignores making recalls on safety items.
Old 01-12-2002 | 09:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Anyone know the manufacture date they switched pads? I was at PAA about 3 weeks ago for oil and tranny fluid, no mention of any new pads then.
I have not had any problems with my brakes or warping yet. I had them check the parking brake, thought the pedal went down quite low, but everything was fine.

When people complain of brake fad, when do they get this. Right away or after some serious 100-0 braking exercises in a row?