FL TL TYPE S and 3.5L CL TypeS

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
Ditto....

20 more hp than headers and CAI for $4000.
No warrantee, CARB EO stickers, or 50 state smog data.

And brakes that already are begging for some kind of upgrade.

Gee, and we don't even get a set of beefed up 1st and 2nd gears for our input and output shafts.

Well, they will help Acura sell a bunch of cars as they go BOOM!

</font>
Eric, glad to see you reward honesty from a true R&D program....Are you a member of the conservative party on the California ticket??? Those who have seen and driven the car usually say WOW, not BOOM! Most of my drag racing friends from Cali, whom we meet at the national racing events think this is a great project and we have support from many, many professionals. I'm just sorry to see that you disagree with experimentation, lucky for us you didn't work for Lockheed managing the SKUNK WORKS or we would not have such great aircraft as the Blackbird, the Stealth, or the U2, all risky experiments.

Happy hunting with your 3.2 and please don't get caught by a 3.5, your "theory" may not hold water.

Old 03-25-2001, 03:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
btw erikl that 10 grand did get you brembo big brake upfront !!!

------------------
'01 3.2 CL typeS
satin silver metalic
Llumar platinum plus
tint 20% all around

-----------------
'98 ACCORD V-6 sedan
16" coupe wheels
215/55/16 nitto's
20% smoke titanium
black chrome kit
Old 03-25-2001, 11:45 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jens Heydel:
Ten grand? seems like a big pile of cash to go fast.Now that the car has all that power for ten grand does that ten grand include an upgraded brake system to keep up with the higher output of the engine?What kind of warranty are they willing to offer on this conversion?
Although I do not like doing it and I avoid it like bubonic plague I'd say a few hundred dollars and a night in my garage with the good help of Dr. Nitrous Oxide and we can easily outrun that car on the track plus you have lots of money left to pay for the new trans when that goes boom.Jens

</font>
Where did this $10K figure come from, the 315HP pkg starts at $4999 including header and CAI...

Old 03-26-2001, 12:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by syncivic:
-----------------------------------

Ditto....

20 more hp than headers and CAI for $4000.
No warrantee, CARB EO stickers, or 50 state smog data.

And brakes that already are begging for some kind of upgrade.

Gee, and we don't even get a set of beefed up 1st and 2nd gears for our input and output shafts.

Well, they will help Acura sell a bunch of cars as they go BOOM!
</font>
Eric, glad to see you reward honesty from a true R&D program....Are you a member of the conservative party on the California ticket??? Those who have seen and driven the car usually say WOW, not BOOM! Most of my drag racing friends from Cali, whom we meet at the national racing events think this is a great project and we have support from many, many professionals. I'm just sorry to see that you disagree with experimentation, lucky for us you didn't work for Lockheed managing the SKUNK WORKS or we would not have such great aircraft as the Blackbird, the Stealth, or the U2, all risky experiments.

Happy hunting with your 3.2 and please don't get caught by a 3.5, your "theory" may not hold water.
-------------------------------------------

You sure have thin skin. Since you are talking to potential customers, I wonder how you would act if there were a problem with your setup.

1. I like experiments.
2. You seem to be describing yourself.
3. Why, not a calm. Well, we are going to be addressing the brake issues.

4. If you look through my posts, even back through the TL board, I have stated that experimentation should be encouraged.

5. Since you've taken the time to think that I hate inventors. Have you ever heard of a Lear Jet, Motorola, first Jet Gyro, first Car Radio, etc... Think about it a while, and look up my profile (think about it a bit...) and look up my last name. Do you think I hate my grandfather?

BTW -- Before your little tirade, I did actually remark that I would be interested in your product, if you would address certain issues. In another thread, I remarked how you "seemed" to ignore the "CARB" issue, warrantee, and other issues. These are important to me. You don't have to solve them right now, just a worst-case date or summary of intentions. If you are going to "play" business man/inventor, then get ready for some tough questions. If you were just selling paper clips, I would just pony up the 3 bucks and try them. But, this is a car with a warrantee.

Are you telling me that you are going to insult your future stockowners if they want more info..?

(I actually like the idea of the stroker, but I would like to know how the transmission holds up. You actually brought the issue up in regards to "bashing" Comptech's supercharger project. So, you brought the issue up, why not help clarify it.)

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition rims (~48lbs lighter)
  • (pre-SSR wheels time) --Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
  • Sways, headers, CAI comming soon
Old 03-26-2001, 12:28 PM
magnet

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by syncivic:
Originally posted by Jens Heydel:
Ten grand? seems like a big pile of cash to go fast.Now that the car has all that power for ten grand does that ten grand include an upgraded brake system to keep up with the higher output of the engine?What kind of warranty are they willing to offer on this conversion?
Although I do not like doing it and I avoid it like bubonic plague I'd say a few hundred dollars and a night in my garage with the good help of Dr. Nitrous Oxide and we can easily outrun that car on the track plus you have lots of money left to pay for the new trans when that goes boom.Jens

</font>
Where did this $10K figure come from, the 315HP pkg starts at $4999 including header and CAI...

what if you already have the headers and cold air intake

------------------
2001 cl type s,custom voltage blue paint job, comptech headers, 18 inch ssr agle strusse rims(painted voltage blue with chrome lip), greddy evo exhaust, cross drilled rotors, pioneer avx 7000 tv, playstation2, iceman cold air intake(custom)nos fuel pressure regulator, piaa ion yellow fog lights, slammed on nex suspension (level ten torque converter and b&m tranny cooler)

my old car www.hondatech.org/99acv6ic.html
my cl-s
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1364953&a=11597233
Old 03-26-2001, 11:59 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by syncivic:</font>
What part of the 4/50 warranty (not warantee)statement did you misunderstand? I cannot speak as to the Cali requirements because I have not bothered to familiarize myself with these and I don't like to speak on a subject I don't fully grasp. Would I love the performance oriented Cali market? Yes....but to what end??? Why don't you call the CARB certification board and ask them what the average manufacturer spends to certify a new engine family? Not a header, not a supercharger, not an MSD, but a new engine. When you recover from your fainting spell, maybe you will understand why its not a priority. Remember, you don't have to live in California, the weather in Florida is just as nice, even a bit warmer and we get hurricanes to drive up the surf in the summer. Just think, where else could you street race in a 3" an hour thunderstorm???

Are we ready for a truce yet???

Old 03-27-2001, 12:23 AM
Suzuka Master

------------------------------------
Originally posted by syncivic:

What part of the 4/50 warranty (not warantee)statement did you misunderstand? I cannot speak as to the Cali requirements because I have not bothered to familiarize myself with these and I don't like to speak on a subject I don't fully grasp. Would I love the performance oriented Cali market? Yes....but to what end??? Why don't you call the CARB certification board and ask them what the average manufacturer spends to certify a new engine family? Not a header, not a supercharger, not an MSD, but a new engine. When you recover from your fainting spell, maybe you will understand why its not a priority. Remember, you don't have to live in California, the weather in Florida is just as nice, even a bit warmer and we get hurricanes to drive up the surf in the summer. Just think, where else could you street race in a 3" an hour thunderstorm???

Are we ready for a truce yet???
---------------------------------------

I have been! Are you?

Ground rules:

1. Answer questions with "I don't know or I don't know yet"

2. No personal attacks. I'm asking questions and I've even said, I'm interested in the idea.

3. You acknowledge that people who ask "tough" questions (potential customers) deserve to be treated with respect. If you don't, do you deserve any?

If you have noticed, I have never gotten personal with you. On the other hand, you have chosen a personal attack, on my character (and, you don't even know me, or my background).

If you will look, I even suggested that someone look at your product.

Example of your attacks (oh how short a memory):

So, instead of just saying, "Gee, we like to supply California, but it is not on our agenda right now... and it is very expensive." You have to act like a "infant" again and suggest that I cure your problem with CARB by moving to Florida. (BTW -- my sister lives in Florida, so yes the weather is nice there to.) So, once again, I (the customer) am wrong for living in CA, and you have the arrogance to suggest that I move because you guys have a 3.5 engine. Boy, how witty.
[sorry, after the Florida comeback, I feel entitled

Finally, to compare what your doing to Kelly Johnson is pathetic. While I commend your company's gumption to take on a new endeavor, to compare a well-done exercise in cars (stroking and mining ponies) to the creative work of a certified genius who's works are still considered state of the art, is just plane silly.

We are talking about a 30K car, and 13-14 second 1/4 mile times. Not saving us and the world from a nuclear war (Thank the U2 and some cool heads...)

Keep it up, a lot of people will wonder what they will be dealing with, if they have a problem!

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition rims (~48lbs lighter)
  • (pre-SSR wheels time) --Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
  • Sways, headers, CAI comming soon

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 03-26-2001).]
Old 03-28-2001, 10:05 PM
Instructor

</font>
A travesty Eric, I emailed you and gave you a quiz as to who I was and you couldn't even respond promptly...and you shame me on how to treat a customer...waiting for my email (syncivic@aol.com)

Old 03-28-2001, 10:06 PM
Instructor

</font>
A travesty Eric, I emailed you and gave you a quiz as to who I was and you couldn't even respond promptly...and you shame me on how to treat a customer...waiting for my email (syncivic@aol.com)

Old 03-28-2001, 10:11 PM
on bin laden

grow up ...

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Eibach Pro-Kit (Waiting to be installed)
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19169 Road Lamps
*Rockford 500a2 [FOR SALE]
*Pioneer 12" @ 400w (x2) [FOR SALE]
*77237-SOK-A02
---Still 2 rims not scratched---
Old 03-28-2001, 10:31 PM
foolio at heart

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by syncivic:
Originally posted by EricL:

</font>
That is a very immature statement, if you have personal issues with Eric, please keep it on the email level. You are not endearing yourself as a vendor with those types of comments.

[This message has been edited by blxmjx (edited 03-28-2001).]
Old 03-28-2001, 10:33 PM
Instructor

</font>
Eric....where is my email response? I sent you a quiz as to who I was, So that in the very least...you can enjoy the exchanges. Looking forward to the future of 3.5 vs. 3.2, a battle which will live in infamy. Will you bash my August posting of a 4.1L motor that is also not CARB certified and cost maybe ~$7500.00 for an estimated 320HP and 300 lbft (flywheel)? If so, start now so I'll be on notice. Your the only one I can spar with...its kind of fun. I know, I know, thats only 25HP (fuzzy math) and 40 lbft (again, a bit fuzzy) more than a $1500 header / CAI.

The only real question for you is that which you haven't said....What is a reasonable bang-for-the-buck upgrade when you go outside of the header/intake which everyone must have? Believe it or not, our customers have spent $40K for an 11 second ITR brand new. For $40K you could almost buy a Vette, but it stiff wouldn't run an eleven, and even worse, it still wouldn't be an ACURA.
There is always someone who wants to go faster, unfortunately that costs money. Its not the power numbers, its being different in our own private war at every stop light. Can you agree.....
Old 03-28-2001, 10:51 PM
Cruisin'

I barely ever write on this board any more do to many of the members immaturity now I have to come here and listen to a "tuner", asking for our business, be immature. As for your 1/4 mile times I'm not impressed at all. With a $50 homemade intake and a V-AFC (a less than $400 total investment) I have turned a best time of 14.1 @ 99.6 MPH (and numerous 14.2's) at Desoto speedway here in Fl. I would hope that for the money you are asking I would get a hell of a lot more performance than this. Sure I bet your car is faster, but you also ask for 10x what I spent for a few tenths at best. I'm pretty sure I could pick those few tenths up by purchasing a header, and racing on a better track like Moroso. Your "product" is good in theory (it's the first thing I thought of when I started thinking CL-S performance) but you need some serious improvement in your products output, before it's worth a $5000 investment.
Old 03-28-2001, 11:05 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BIGNASTY:
I barely ever write on this board any more do to many of the members immaturity now I have to come here and listen to a "tuner", asking for our business, be immature. As for your 1/4 mile times I'm not impressed at all. With a $50 homemade intake and a V-AFC (a less than $400 total investment) I have turned a best time of 14.1 @ 99.6 MPH (and numerous 14.2's) at Desoto speedway here in Fl. I would hope that for the money you are asking I would get a hell of a lot more performance than this. Sure I bet your car is faster, but you also ask for 10x what I spent for a few tenths at best. I'm pretty sure I could pick those few tenths up by purchasing a header, and racing on a better track like Moroso. Your "product" is good in theory (it's the first thing I thought of when I started thinking CL-S performance) but you need some serious improvement in your products output, before it's worth a $5000 investment.</font>
Desoto needs the the timing lights checked...or your just that good of a driver and our NHRA licensed professional needs some schooling. And as for the VAFC, on the DYNOJET, it lost power on mixture changes or corrections when the VTEC transition point was altered. So with a zero correction and a HP peak of 6000 + RPM and a stock ECU which has already commanded the High Cam well before this, what improvement in peak HP are you thinking??? Zero! Your a 2.5 Hour drive, I invite you to bring your ride to the our Dyno at our expense and we'll run them back to back....We didn't say this project would be for everyone....but being a "tuner" (your quotes) I have guys (and gals) come in every day with there B18 Civic conversions claiming 200HP at the wheel. The Dynojet gives them 165...you tell me whats up. I'm not a Vendor, asking for business....You can go anywhere for your work and obviously you have, you spent a few hundred bucks on a VAFC thinking it actually would do something in your ride. VAFC will help if done with other mods...but we are all friends down here, give a call to our store and we'll chat.

Old 03-29-2001, 02:00 AM
Cruisin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Originally posted by syncivic:
Desoto needs the the timing lights checked... or your just that good of a driver and our NHRA licensed professional needs some schooling.
</font>
Sorry to hear you paid a driver to suck it up so badly. I don't think my driving style is that special... a friend of mine made similar runs in the car while I took pictures.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">And as for the VAFC, on the DYNOJET, it lost power on mixture changes or corrections when the VTEC transition point was altered. So with a zero correction and a HP peak of 6000 + RPM and a stock ECU which has already commanded the High Cam well before this, what improvement in peak HP are you thinking??? Zero! </font>
This is a pretty dumb comment part because any one that has tuned a V-AFC on a dyno can show an increase. Yes the high RPM increase is minimal but the low end gain is significant... if you've ever played with one you would know this... unless you don't understand how to use it, or what it can do.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> you spent a few hundred bucks on a VAFC thinking it actually would do something in your ride. </font>
My 1/4 mile times haven proven it did something, don't take out your tuning inadequacies on me.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> I have guys (and gals) come in every day with there B18 Civic conversions claiming 200HP at the wheel. The Dynojet gives them 165...you tell me whats up. </font>
am I other people?? Did I make any power claims?? nope. Simply stated my results. I'm sure this car of yours makes more power than mine, it damn well better with what was put into it. If you'd like to know what I estimate the output of my car is, I belive it is around 288 at the crank.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> I'm not a Vendor, asking for business.... </font>
Then why are you advertising your wares here??

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Your a 2.5 Hour drive, I invite you to bring your ride to the our Dyno at our expense and we'll run them back to back. here, give a call to our store and we'll chat. </font>
I wouldn't mind the drive but I'm not going to waste that much of my time to get into an extended pissing contest with you. Maybe I'd call, but what would we discuss?? I am interested in the piston design problems you encountered, as I might end up with low compression slugs in my car eventually.

Old 03-29-2001, 03:43 AM
Pro

Does Rick case plan on producing more 3.5 cl-S'? Anyone know how the VSA was disabled? Are there any Dyno results for this 3.5 cL beast?
Old 03-29-2001, 12:33 PM
magnet

the vsa is not disabled

------------------
2001 cl type s,custom voltage blue paint job, comptech headers, 18 inch ssr agle strusse rims(painted voltage blue with chrome lip), greddy evo exhaust, cross drilled rotors, pioneer avx 7000 tv, playstation2, iceman cold air intake(custom)nos fuel pressure regulator, piaa ion yellow fog lights, slammed on nex suspension (level ten torque converter and b&m tranny cooler)3.5 litre upgrade on april 16!

my old car www.hondatech.org/99acv6ic.html
my cl-s
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1364953&a=11597233
Old 03-31-2001, 06:05 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BIGNASTY:
I wouldn't mind the drive but I'm not going to waste that much of my time to get into an extended pissing contest with you. Maybe I'd call, but what would we discuss?? I am interested in the piston design problems you encountered, as I might end up with low compression slugs in my car eventually.

</font>
Glad to see you took the time to respond...My "driver", who "sucked it up so badly" is quite amused with you....he can't seem to remember being beaten at the strip by anyone in Florida with a Front Wheel Drive car in a Pro or street class...but he must have missed you. Seeing how this states record holder for FWD import 1/4 mile time and speed is his, I regret not having hired you so that I wouldn't be embarrassed by my products showing. Maybe you will come over for a cameo appearance at the IDRC or NIRA Moroso events....bring your ride and your pink slip, we'll bring ours.

Thats enough about your lame driver comment.

I need not solicit business from the web, unfortunately, this type of work is time consuming and their is no shortage in my own back yard. Sorry to loose the West Florida market by your nay sayer postings, its funny how others in your own back yard email me and chuckle at your expense.

I wish one day I could log on and see that people like you would just take my postings for shared information...not as challenges to their own pride. If your bone stock -S ran a 14.1 @ 99 MPH, call Acura, they may want it back to find out how it happened. It is not normal for a production car to have this type of variance when the average time slip in this warm climate is 14.8-15.1. If something seems strange, it probably is.

Regarding tuning the VAF-C, call some shops over in Tampa and ask them if they know any Good engine builders/tuners down here. How did we get our methanol 1.8L motor to unleash 1000 + HP at 70 PSI? Just bolt it in and guess? Must have been the luck of some grade schoolers, eh? Strangely, our VAFC tuning with this car netted losses over most of the power spectrum. I'll bet you pulled your High Cam setting down to 4000 RPM or so....say bye bye torque plateau. Remember, the Honda didn't set the Cam transition point via a guess. If your car ran a 14.1, pull the power lead off the VAFC or zero the settings and run your time again to see if you loose 7-8/10's in your run.

Good luck, my offer to test your car still stands.

Old 04-01-2001, 12:31 AM
Instructor

DR. says its time to play nice.

Patients want a good surgeon and want a doctor with a good bedside manner.

You seem to be doing good operations, but need to go to one of those "sensitivity" training classes.

See ya in Hyde park
Old 04-01-2001, 03:27 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Will this 3.5 litre be available as a kit?Since I work for a dealer we are ofcourse curious to see how this project turns out and what plans Rick Case Acura has for it.Sorry if I misunderstood the pricing structure of this project in rereading the posts I now see that there are various levels of enhancement possible at different price levels.
Correct me if I am wrong but there is no inspection program in Florida in regards to emissions?
Unfortuanately here in the New York tristate area we are saddled with this emissions program so naturally I am interested in knowing if this project or at least some versions of it could be made street legal.
We have had a few hits with clients that might be interested in such an upgrade or at least a version of it but as you can imagine there is an importance in having a street legal version of this project to sell in the northeast.
Well keep us posted we are watching and listening and my apologies for my misundestanding.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA high beam headlamp system H.I.D. Xenon low beam tinted, custom taillites and on and on
Old 04-01-2001, 11:40 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jens Heydel:
Will this 3.5 litre be available as a kit?Since I work for a dealer we are ofcourse curious to see how this project turns out and what plans Rick Case Acura has for it.Sorry if I misunderstood the pricing structure of this project in rereading the posts I now see that there are various levels of enhancement possible at different price levels.
Correct me if I am wrong but there is no inspection program in Florida in regards to emissions?
Unfortuanately here in the New York tristate area we are saddled with this emissions program so naturally I am interested in knowing if this project or at least some versions of it could be made street legal.
We have had a few hits with clients that might be interested in such an upgrade or at least a version of it but as you can imagine there is an importance in having a street legal version of this project to sell in the northeast.
Well keep us posted we are watching and listening and my apologies for my misundestanding.Jens

</font>
Last year they ditched the emissions program in our region. Using the old BAR-90 system w/a mustang roller dyno, the 3.5 variant blew almost identical numbers to a similarly miled stock vehicle. Regarding a kit, yes we hope to release one. Your service director should email me. The estimated install time is 30HRS and small shops (# bays) may not want to tackle these as they hurt stall efficiency. Thanks for the inquiry...

Old 04-01-2001, 11:44 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DrJeckle and Hyde:
DR. says its time to play nice.

Patients want a good surgeon and want a doctor with a good bedside manner.

You seem to be doing good operations, but need to go to one of those "sensitivity" training classes.

See ya in Hyde park
</font>
If only the otherside thought of the net as more than a chance to talk s%*!. But, I have settled down.....sometimes I must realize that hard work can go unappreciated. Thanks for the support.

Old 04-09-2001, 01:55 AM
Cruisin'

Oh yes you are sooo superior to me... for you information I did run my car stock with best run of 14.7 most were 14.9 though. Challenges to my pride?? You the one shit talking. There are a few people here with cars with a few bolt ons that run low 14's. Your statement of a 14.0 run for $5000 is silly that's all. Some thing is wrong, could be the car, the tuner, or the driver. I wouldn't know I'm not there. Most likely it's your attitude. I sure as hell wouldn't do good work for you with that kind of attitude, can't see why anyone would.
Old 04-09-2001, 02:24 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 976 Likes on 330 Posts
sync i think you have just now lost almost all posible business you would of had comming from some of us. If you hurry and start acting like a business man can, you might save some lurkers.
Old 04-09-2001, 03:15 AM
Drifting

This is just stupid...