First 'vette kill!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 02:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First 'vette kill!!

I am driving along the 210E tonight and this black vette (C5, not Z06) is trying to cut around traffic etc. So, I just follow him quite tenderly for about 5-6 miles actually. Traffic finally lets out and I am just a tad ahead of him. I was hesitant, but I see his headlights pop up a bit as he punches it. We are going about 65mph. I put it in 3rd and floor it. He got a head start.. so he's next to me by now. I shift to 4th and just walk away from him.... it was unbelievable! I must have pulled 3-4 cars from 90-110!! I know its not a Z06, but the regular C5 is pretty quick as well. He was looking at my stock tailpipes and was probably scratching his head

It was an awesome feeling!!
Old 02-08-2003, 04:03 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
impressive Allmotor_2000

you gotta race Z06
Old 02-08-2003, 04:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
nice kill
Old 02-08-2003, 07:00 AM
shooting for 1200+rwhp

good run man...if you can pull that off, you must be putting over 300 to the wheels b/c the C5 comes w/350hp right out of the box....that is an awesome feeling, i can definitely sympathize with on this one
Old 02-08-2003, 10:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Congrats! Can't wait until Carlsbad opens back up!
Old 02-08-2003, 10:30 AM
Safety Car

Yeah... I was actually surprised. I am pretty sure the turbo gave me more than 50whp as I was probably pushing around 245-250whp while being NA.

It's a little funny driving it (my first semi-long trip yesterday... about 80 miles each way) on the freeway. 6th gear and you have to be very light on the throttle, or else its 5psi right away (anything past 2300 RPM).

There's absolutely NO reason to downshift. I also wrapped my intake pipes with reflective tape (HeatShield product) because I noticed a big difference between the intercooler pipe inside the bumper vs the one going to the intake (the turbo sitting right under it doesn't help either!). That actually seemed to make a noticeable difference.

I might look into the water-spray for the intercooler... make it more efficient.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
How much did this all cost you? Man, I want to trade my TL-S for a CL 6MT like yesterday. or an S4 but no rrom for mods with taht 4.2 crammed there.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:21 PM
Racer

Great kill. C5's run low 13's stock. You're probably running in the 12's. Time to get to the track!!!
Old 02-08-2003, 02:09 PM
Pink as a pistol

Congrats, man. I would loved to see the corvette guy's face ( ) when you :flamer: him. Very nice kill indeed.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:57 PM
Pro

Impressive! You should be able to run with a Z06 easily.
Old 02-08-2003, 05:34 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Now that's what i'm talking about
Old 02-08-2003, 05:38 PM
Full-Time IDIoT---DoH!!!

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
congrats all_motor

but what if the corvette was an auto, how much of a diff would that make? any1?
Old 02-08-2003, 06:37 PM
shooting for 1200+rwhp

it would make a fair amount of difference whether or not it was an auto or stick...especially when they were racing...either way, allmotor should be running close to 300hp to the wheels with his setup, which is about what a C5 puts down....im like everyone else, cant wait for the dyno results
Old 02-08-2003, 06:41 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

unsure,
not much c5 auto vettes are fast
Old 02-08-2003, 07:01 PM
Safety Car

I don't know... need to dyno the car before I can say a thing, I suppose!

I just don't have the time... work during the weekdays, but I will try to do something next Saturday.

Plus I don't want to pay $100+ for the dyno... so I will wait when my friend has a time-slot open in his shop.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:34 PM
///M POWER

omg thats crazy, u must b puttin 320 to the wheels to put that many cars on a c5
Old 02-08-2003, 11:06 PM
Disproportionate Member

Originally posted by Zootking
good run man...if you can pull that off, you must be putting over 300 to the wheels b/c the C5 comes w/350hp right out of the box....that is an awesome feeling, i can definitely sympathize with on this one
Vettes dyno at about 300-313 to the wheels. Nice kill. Btw Allmotor, what compression and PSI are you running? Did you do anything to the transmission? And finally, did you get a turbo-timer device (keeps engine idling for a minute or two after driving to circulate the oil around the center housing). If you don't have a timer, make sure you let the car sit running for a few minutes before shutting down to avoid oil coking. These are cheap, usually around $105-110, and worth the investment in helping preserve your turbo.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by allmotor_2000

I might look into the water-spray for the intercooler... make it more efficient.

Anything to get you wet and wild!

Make sure you can pop-in some ice cubes in your water tank for some real fun! :P

good kill allFImotor_2000
Old 02-09-2003, 12:05 AM
Safety Car

EricL... you mentioned this spray thingy once... who makes that again? I don't want to buy a pre-assembled kit... just something I can rig up would be okay with me!
Old 02-09-2003, 05:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget a nice set of nittos on your shopping list!
Old 02-09-2003, 06:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Did you notice if it was an auto or manual? Your car should be a good match for a 6 speed C5. For a Z06 you would have to up the boost
Old 02-09-2003, 09:24 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
If you're pulling on a 'vette like that, you should be in the 12s.

Hot damn!!!
Old 02-09-2003, 11:30 PM
Revving at 9K...

Nice kill!! you are the MAN!!!
Old 02-10-2003, 12:44 AM
Suzuka Master

EricL... you mentioned this spray thingy once... who makes that again? I don't want to buy a pre-assembled kit... just something I can rig up would be okay with me!
Hit home depot or some place that carries "dripper" systems for irrigation. They make "spray" nozzles for misting that will do (they work great for large wall air conditioners in dry climates when the humidity is too low to "leak" water/condensation out to the "flingers" on the condenser’s fan blades (the high EERs on most "Energy Star" air conditioners take advantage of the huge cooling effect that the evaporating water gives). I got my misters from a local gardening supply store and did not screw into the PVC as the previous picture denoted.)

A 3rd gen RX7 did very well with the setup (it was running a lot of boost).

There is also "overhead misters" for plant and use in hot/dry patios to cool down plants and people.

Here are the various links/excerpts (hope this is of some use):

"I recently added the intercooler water spray system, I did it in anticipation of the August Buttonwillow Drag races which usually feature 110F. ambient temps, and I figured I needed all the help I could get. Not sure how marked the hp improvement is, but to test it, I ran the spray for 10 seconds while cruising at 70mph, no boost - intake air temps dropped 7 degrees C., so there does appear to be an intake air temp drop, but how it calculates into hp is still unknown. I'm also planning on experimenting with a water injection setup too at higher boost levels. I built the rail out of 3/4" PVC, the water misters are from Home Depot for very fine cooling mist applications. Consequently, it is very easy on water, a full bottle of water lasted a whole track weekend recently."

The quoted area came from: http://www.80tq.com/intake.html

Images (again):

Check this article out for some more info:

http://www.autospeed.com.au/cms/arti...ml?&A=0534&P=1

With your cooler directly in the air stream, you might want to check into the link above to get a low flow rate nozzle with the right pump to be able to get good cooling at low and high speeds (good atomization with a low flow rate). You could ignore the electronic BS (the metal sprayers are better misters at pressure, but will clog up easier if the water is “crummy”)
Old 02-10-2003, 06:18 AM
maxima troll :)

I am if you want to call it trolling over here from maxima.org but I see some of you saying he will run 12's b/c he pulled on a vette from a roll. I myself can tell you thats not going to happen b/c first off the car is wrong wheel drive and on street tires. It will not hook up off the line to get a decent enough 60' time to make a 12 sec pass. Ask Zoot how hard it is too hook up with all that power and fwd. I would be willing to say 320-330 whp is achievable at 8 psi but not to sure about tq.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by blubyu2k2
I am if you want to call it trolling over here from maxima.org but I see some of you saying he will run 12's b/c he pulled on a vette from a roll. I myself can tell you thats not going to happen b/c first off the car is wrong wheel drive and on street tires. It will not hook up off the line to get a decent enough 60' time to make a 12 sec pass. Ask Zoot how hard it is too hook up with all that power and fwd. I would be willing to say 320-330 whp is achievable at 8 psi but not to sure about tq.
I can't believe people are already deciding what can or can't be done and the welds are still cooling. Sure, the stock tires are crummy. OTOH, the 6-speeds here with headers, pulleys, and intake have shown close to 245HP to the wheels. AT 7PSI the engine would "IDEALLY" make about 50% more power (yes, I know there are losses and that why I put IDEALLY in caps). So, lets just go optimistic here and figure a possible 360 HP to the ground. That's about the same power-to-weight of a number of cars that are sitting on the fuzzy edge of 12-13 (yes, they are RWD).

So, with a set of light wheels and even some Toyos, it could see a very, very low 13. Come on, there are NO2 folks that are getting to mid 13s and they are not putting out anything near 320HP to the road (let alone 330-350).

So, the car will lose the ability to dump the power in at the start, but the power-to-weight (at the wheels) gets close to 10lbs/hp. The power-to-weight based on flywheel at 260 * 1.5 = 390HP is even better. And - that leaves out any increases from better flow in addition to the turbo (the stock manifolds are hopeless and I predicated the 1.5 factor on 7PSI and IDEAL conditions).

I don't care if the car is a Nissan, Honda, Mazda, or an MG. If you put in the effort -- and this has clearly been demonstrated -- who is to say what is possible and what is not? This is a DIY, and it does allow a lot of leeway in design decisions (Not being a “kit”, it is totally in the control of the builder to swap as many parts and design as he wants; he doesn’t need to wait on a vendor for a “new power-making goodie.”

This is has much less to do with cars and a lot more to do with gumption and acumen. You have to give credit to someone who does a DIY project on a tight schedule with little or no outside help and makes it happen. For all the hot air blowing around the forums these days (notice I used the plural form), how many people do you see solving, helping, and/or innovating vs. complaining, whining, and bad-rapping other people and/or there car choices.

It's round one of of fight one. How 'bout giving a little time to see how things go...
Old 02-10-2003, 07:34 AM

Originally posted by EricL
I can't believe people are already deciding what can or can't be done and the welds are still cooling. Sure, the stock tires are crummy. OTOH, the 6-speeds here with headers, pulleys, and intake have shown close to 245HP to the wheels. AT 7PSI the engine would "IDEALLY" make about 50% more power (yes, I know there are losses and that why I put IDEALLY in caps). So, lets just go optimistic here and figure a possible 360 HP to the ground. That's about the same power-to-weight of a number of cars that are sitting on the fuzzy edge of 12-13 (yes, they are RWD).

So, with a set of light wheels and even some Toyos, it could see a very, very low 13. Come on, there are NO2 folks that are getting to mid 13s and they are not putting out anything near 320HP to the road (let alone 330-350).

So, the car will lose the ability to dump the power in at the start, but the power-to-weight (at the wheels) gets close to 10lbs/hp. The power-to-weight based on flywheel at 260 * 1.5 = 390HP is even better. And - that leaves out any increases from better flow in addition to the turbo (the stock manifolds are hopeless and I predicated the 1.5 factor on 7PSI and IDEAL conditions).

I don't care if the car is a Nissan, Honda, Mazda, or an MG. If you put in the effort -- and this has clearly been demonstrated -- who is to say what is possible and what is not? This is a DIY, and it does allow a lot of leeway in design decisions (Not being a “kit”, it is totally in the control of the builder to swap as many parts and design as he wants; he doesn’t need to wait on a vendor for a “new power-making goodie.”

This is has much less to do with cars and a lot more to do with gumption and acumen. You have to give credit to someone who does a DIY project on a tight schedule with little or no outside help and makes it happen. For all the hot air blowing around the forums these days (notice I used the plural form), how many people do you see solving, helping, and/or innovating vs. complaining, whining, and bad-rapping other people and/or there car choices.

It's round one of of fight one. How 'bout giving a little time to see how things go...
wow interesting point of view.....but more power equals less traction. I was not critisizing or saying what he has done is not impressive but without the aid of drag radials or slicks I just don't see the car getting off the line fast enough for a 12 sec run. I have seen this proven by one of your own that runs 14.1-14.3 @ 99-100 all motor and 14.1-14.3 @ 107-109 on the bottle. Now maybe the words impossible were a little much in my last post but in my eyes I jsut don't see a 12 sec run on street tires. Now I would love for him to prove me wrong but I just posted b/c the other 100 people in here saying you walked a vette your a 12 sec car. Yes he is with traction
Old 02-10-2003, 08:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Never say never and the rest is quibbling

Originally posted by blubyu2k2
wow interesting point of view.....but more power equals less traction. I was not critisizing or saying what he has done is not impressive but without the aid of drag radials or slicks I just don't see the car getting off the line fast enough for a 12 sec run. I have seen this proven by one of your own that runs 14.1-14.3 @ 99-100 all motor and 14.1-14.3 @ 107-109 on the bottle. Now maybe the words impossible were a little much in my last post but in my eyes I jsut don't see a 12 sec run on street tires. Now I would love for him to prove me wrong but I just posted b/c the other 100 people in here saying you walked a vette your a 12 sec car. Yes he is with traction
Well, the twin of my car -- assuming that I didn't get a Monday car -- does close to 14.2 in 60-70 degree temps -- and here is the list of stuff:

Comptech headers
AEM Intake
Sways
Toyo Tires
SSR Competition 17x8" (wheels and tires are 12-14 lbs lighter per wheel than stock).

As for opinions -- you are entitled to yours and I'm not going to quibble. There is a wide variation in the cars (even with similar mods). AS for the 12 ... presumably, he only has to pop below 13 on a cold day and he's there. The minute you’re talking turbo, $$$, and time – anything is possible (END)

RE: the 100 people. Hey, this gets back to drivers, different cars, and who’s got mods
Old 02-10-2003, 08:11 AM

Re: Never say never and the rest is quibbling

Originally posted by EricL
Well, the twin of my car -- assuming that I didn't get a Monday car -- does close to 14.2 in 60-70 degree temps -- and here is the list of stuff:

Comptech headers
AEM Intake
Sways
Toyo Tires
SSR Competition 17x8" (wheels and tires are 12-14 lbs lighter per wheel than stock).

As for opinions -- you are entitled to yours and I'm not going to quibble. There is a wide variation in the cars (even with similar mods). AS for the 12 ... presumably, he only has to pop below 13 on a cold day and he's there. The minute you’re talking turbo, $$$, and time – anything is possible (END)

RE: the 100 people. Hey, this gets back to drivers, different cars, and who’s got mods
agreed
Old 02-10-2003, 10:00 AM
Safety Car

I wouldn't run with stock tires.. obviously! I have a set of Nitto drag radials which probably arn't going to help either!

I can't estimate what my E.T will be... but I would say that 12's is going to be traction limited!
Old 02-10-2003, 10:21 AM
Instructor

allmotor_2000: Damn boy .... holy shit, you pulled THAT many cars on a C5?! Seriously ... I've raced a couple of C5s with my E46 M3 and THEY ARE NO JOKE. People who say that they've beat Z06 in M3s are all BSing ... there's just no way. Yes, this is from experience, I got my ass handed back to me on a silver plate.

Please take it to the track or the dyno soon, I am dying to see your numbers.

Old 02-10-2003, 11:39 AM
Safety Car

Z06??

A Z06 runs what... like a 12.3 or something in the 1/4 - STOCK! There's no way an E46 M3 or anything else for that matter without some SERIOUS work is going to hang with the Z06. The regular C5 probably runs a 13.2 or maybe even a high 12. I don't know what was up with that C5 I ran on the freeway... but I am just telling you guys what I experienced. I'll try to get the car dynoed this week.

There's a BIG difference between a C5 and my car for example on the freeway vs. the 1/4. The C5 (in stock form) can maximize on its RWD and ability to get a pretty decent 60' and hence 1/8-mile while I probably might have to play catchup after the 1/8-mile (IF I am making enough power). On the freeway, both cars already are moving and are out of the 'traction-limited zone' as I call it. Then its all about horsepower, gearing and weight.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:04 PM
Racer

Re: Z06??

A Z06 runs what... like a 12.3 or something in the 1/4 - STOCK! There's no way an E46 M3 or anything else for that matter without some SERIOUS work is going to hang with the Z06. The regular C5 probably runs a 13.2 or maybe even a high 12. I don't know what was up with that C5 I ran on the freeway... but I am just telling you guys what I experienced. I'll try to get the car dynoed this week.

There's a BIG difference between a C5 and my car for example on the freeway vs. the 1/4. The C5 (in stock form) can maximize on its RWD and ability to get a pretty decent 60' and hence 1/8-mile while I probably might have to play catchup after the 1/8-mile (IF I am making enough power). On the freeway, both cars already are moving and are out of the 'traction-limited zone' as I call it. Then its all about horsepower, gearing and weight.
Yeah no joke... a few Z06's have been known to break into the 11's... bone stock! Crap they're even faster then I thought...

http://www.z06vette.com/forums/showt...threadid=30089
Old 02-11-2003, 04:22 PM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How come when I was at Houston Raceway Park and saw new vettes running low 14s? Their were two people and I never saw them break 14. Was the drivers just sorry or what?
Old 02-11-2003, 05:04 PM
Safety Car

First off... no STOCK 'vette will run 11's unless they are on drag radials at least. A Z06 on stock tires will probably run a mid to low 12-second 1/4. Remember that they do trap at 116+ mph!! Plus the 11-second 'vette's have an air-filter, drag-radials and some have new rear-ends as well. You can't see the rear-end, but its a mod that gives you a 0.4s improvement at least! Plus it costs relatively little to change your final drive on that car compared to an Acura for example.

A regular C5 on drag-radials will hit high 12's, but will probably
run low 13's quite easily on street radials.

It is possible that the folks you saw were not pushing their cars or they were automatics or just plain can't drive!

On the freeway where traction is NOT an issue, both 'vette types are very quick with the Z06 outpacing even a 911 Turbo (996-style).
Old 02-11-2003, 05:32 PM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My lesson.

Don't mess with vettes unless you are at the track and you know that they are auto or don't want to push their car.