First Try on the Track

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2001, 04:40 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Try on the Track

Hey Guys,

First of all I want to say "hey"...I'm new here.

It's been almost 3 months since I got my CL-S. I've had my fun racing on the streets but my friends kept egging me to go to the track so I finally did tonight. I was only able to go once but I wanted to know if my times were any good. I think I could of done better but I still want to know what you think.

I ran the quarter mile in 15.245 with a speed of 92.11 MPH. Is this any good? My reaction time wasn't really anything special. It was a .935 This is the first time i've ever tried this. Do you guys think I can go faster? I had it floored in SS mode. I shifted around 7K...maybe a little less than that. I did spin the tires when I started. But not too much. I had traction control off too.

The good news is I beat the heck out of an old MR2 that was talking some trash before we raced. He ran a 16.412 at 83.2 MPH. I don't know why he even tried!

Everything is stock (for now) I plan on upgrading in the near future.

Please let me know what you think. I'm hooked now and want to improve. This car ROCKS!!!

Thanks,

Peter
Old 01-27-2001, 09:22 AM
Adult Supervision

Search around in the posts for some information on this - someone else (can't remember) posted their information on 4 runs.

Also, conventional wisdom says to leave it in auto mode, not SS, since the car can shift better than you - it knows how far to go towards redline before shifting.

Also, make suure that VSA is off. As soon as you spin, VSA will retard acceleration and you will lose time.

I think with $2000 of mods you can do better! LOL!

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, Road Salt Finish by Mass DOT, only 1 scratched rim
Old 01-27-2001, 02:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Welcome to the board!

Unfortunately, your one run wasn't all that great since I've heard of ppl running 14.7s and 14.8s and up. I believe that those ppl had some 15.x runs mixed in there as well so it's really too bad you only got 1 run
in. There are many circumstances that contribute to how well your car will run. What was the temp? The 14.7s and 14.8s were run in cold weather. I hope you plan on going back because you can do better!
Btw, my first trip to the track will be next saturday.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
Best 0-60. 6.08 Gtech Pro (Preheaders)

My Car
Old 01-28-2001, 02:49 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

I think it is better to run in sportshift for the 2-3 shift. In SS you canrev it up to about 7100 and then shift so that you just miss the fuel cutoff. The car will shift before you get to 7000rpm. That extra second or two will probably help our track times. I'll be hitting the track this spring with headers and CAI so we'll see what happens.

------------------
Black/black CL Type S Comptech springs, headers. Soon to have Konis and Comptech sway bars. PIAA 19169, Solaris high beams. Potenza RE730's 225/45/ZR17
...And I wonder where my money goes!
Old 01-30-2001, 03:10 PM
6 speed...

I ran several runs out at houston raceway park in baytown earlier this month. I ran a best of around a 14.8 (with scary wheel hop)on my third or fourth run of the day. I used full auto, loaded the torque converter (left foot braking, right foot floored), and ran with the vsa off. it was cold (34F) that morning, so that helped engine performance but hurt traction, so... ymmv.

Old 02-05-2001, 09:35 AM
Instructor

Hello to everyone.
I am a new member. Saw the letter posted in the latest Car+Driver which listed the Site.
We have our Type S since July. My wife and I are in love with it. As everyone knows, its fast and comfortable!
As an SCCA member we will try our hand at Autocrossing (Solo II) this summer.
I know a lot of people are into drag racing. But you should give Solo II a try.
These cars were not designed just to go in a straight line. Solo II gives you a chance to experiance the total package!
On a side note, does K+N make a air filter for the Type S yet?
I haven't been able to find one. If you have send me the part number.
Old 02-05-2001, 11:57 AM
STi

First, welcome to the CL board, and yes K&N drop in filter is available for CL-S. The part# is 33-2178.

------------------

1990Si
2001CL-S
Old 02-06-2001, 03:57 AM
Drifting

Get some headers, they can add up some good hp. Also, it seems that d4 is the best thing to do runs in.

------------------
True Hip-hop junkie
Old 02-08-2001, 12:44 AM
Cruisin'

I am sure the car is a fun time in Solo II but it does roll quite a bit for my taste. I have tracked mine at VIR (www.virclub.com) and CMP (Carolina Motorsports Park) and if you are into it, take yours to a track with some twisties. You will definately enjoy getting a pass signal from a Vette or a Bimmer!

I will warn anyone going out for go-fast parts. If you plan on taking it to the road courses, my advice to you is to either buy stock in Performance Friction or do some duct work for the brakes before buying that header or CAI or chipping or anything of that ilk - our cars have way more power than handling as they are. The combination of trail braking and 65% of 3500 lbs. over the front end enabled me to eat two sets of pads (one of them Carbon Kevlar PF pads) and all four rotors in 3 track events.

Also, turn off that bleepin' VSS before you put on your helmet!

Cheers,
Adam

P.S. Left foot braking rocks!
Old 02-12-2001, 01:54 AM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Phat-S:
I am sure the car is a fun time in Solo II but it does roll quite a bit for my taste. I have tracked mine at VIR (www.virclub.com) and CMP (Carolina Motorsports Park) and if you are into it, take yours to a track with some twisties. You will definately enjoy getting a pass signal from a Vette or a Bimmer!

I will warn anyone going out for go-fast parts. If you plan on taking it to the road courses, my advice to you is to either buy stock in Performance Friction or do some duct work for the brakes before buying that header or CAI or chipping or anything of that ilk - our cars have way more power than handling as they are. The combination of trail braking and 65% of 3500 lbs. over the front end enabled me to eat two sets of pads (one of them Carbon Kevlar PF pads) and all four rotors in 3 track events.

Also, turn off that bleepin' VSS before you put on your helmet!

Cheers,
Adam

P.S. Left foot braking rocks!
</font>
Adam,
Again I concur with you. I don't know what the guys at Acura were thinking when they built this car (more than likely highway cruising for long distances). Unfortunately from my experience at Solo2 events (two so far), the car was not made for competition (even a little Solo2). Lots of power (not necessarily a good thing), and lots of body roll even with modified suspension components. Don't get me wrong I love my ride, but this thing wasn't made for Solo2. If you want a good Solo2 vehicle S2K, or Miata

I know i'm going to get flamed for this, but just speaking my $.02.

------------------
01'
Black/Ebony CLS
Old 02-27-2001, 08:55 PM
Banned

I think it is better to use SS. The reason being that you can make sure that 1st gear is revving when you launch while torque braking. This will allow you to launch the best. The 1-2 shift is automatic....just floor it....the 2-3 shift is the only shift will have to do...remember 3rd will run to 109...

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Black Tint all around (15%~45%)
Weapon-R Dragon Filter
Weapon-R Coil-Overs
Koni Adjustable Struts
Comptech Sway Bars
(sooner than I thought...)
Comptech Headers
Old 03-11-2001, 02:51 PM
Race Director