Extended Warranty, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2001, 04:36 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extended Warranty, yes or no?

I bought my S in June and didn't get the extended warranty on it. Can I still get it and what should it cost? Do you think it's worth it, I've never had a honda/acura but everything I read says these things are work horses and have few if any problems.
Old 03-05-2001, 04:39 PM
on bin laden

I didnt get it, but that is becuase i plan to void the warranty by 50k anyways

------------------
Black 2001 Type S
*Xephyr Cold Air Intake
*PIAA 19169 Road Lamps
*Acura Winter Mats
*Mudguards
*Mobile 1 Synthetic
---Still 2 rims not scratched---
Old 03-05-2001, 05:15 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Mercury !
GET THE EXTENEDED WARRANTY only if you plan to keep the car for at least 4 year plus. I just brought my beloved 1998 Honda Accord EX-V6 to the same dealership for the past 3.5 years, to find out that the transmission is DEAD, THAT IS CORRECT DEAD ! But it's a HONDA, these thing don't happen......Well they do "The workhorses of Honda" do go BAD ! Only because of my long term relationship with the dealership, Honda is paying the bill....how much: $5,660.00 bucks ! 78,000 miles on the car ! Now, those who H A T E going to dealerships, well there is a price you can't mention to build relationship's with "good" dealerships ! I have 3.5 years of service records on that car and I honor that big time ! Point is, don't think it cannot happen to a ACURA/HONDA ! It can......
Where do you get that warranty ???? NOT THE DEALERSHIPS ! Go to your local credit union. I got mine for my Acura CLS for $749.00 dollars and the dealership wanted $1500.00 for the exact same company and warranty ! Go figure !

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 03-05-2001, 05:54 PM
Advanced

FabVsix,
When you say go to your credit union for the extended warranty, what exactly did you have to do get that deal?

I financed mine through my credit union, but didn't know that i could purchase an Acura extended warranty through them. How do you go about doing this?

Also the dealership i purchased my Type S from said you have 12 months to buy the extended warranty from them (from date of purchase). So if you beat on the car for the first 11 months, you may want to decide to buy it.

Thanks,
B-TS

------------------
Bullet-TypeS
'01 Acura CL Type S
San Marino Red/Spoiler/ Mud guards/Fenderwell trim/Wheel locks/Front-end cover/ PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow bulbs/CAI (coming soon)...
Old 03-05-2001, 10:19 PM
Instructor

My understanding is that the extended warranty can be bought for the car as long as it is still under the factory warranty (4 year-50,000 miles).

------------------

Beat the Bruins

[This message has been edited by gvtire (edited 03-05-2001).]
Old 03-05-2001, 10:48 PM
Team Owner

My dealer told me I could purchase the full “Acura Care” Warranty up until ONE YEAR after the original purchase date.
After that, I could still purchase one, but it would be considered something like a USED CAR Warranty with a higher initial cost and higher deductibles.

I plan to do this before my cars first birthday in June.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 03-06-2001, 02:00 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

When I purchased my car thru my credit union, they said we can beat them and she pulled out the same company brochure the fucking sales manager tried to sell me at 1500.00 ! Fu$k what they said, call your credit union and ASK THEM !

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 03-06-2001, 05:14 AM
Burning Brakes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shawn S:
My dealer told me I could purchase the full “Acura Care” Warranty up until ONE YEAR after the original purchase date.
After that, I could still purchase one, but it would be considered something like a USED CAR Warranty with a higher initial cost and higher deductibles.

I plan to do this before my cars first birthday in June.

Shawn S
</font>
Shawn,

I'm disappointed in you. How can you fall for that bullshit? You can buy an extended warranty for the car from ANY acura dealership at ANY time before the 4yr/50k original warranty expires. The dealer is just trying to scare you into buying it sooner. I've heard "you have 30 days" or "you have 90 days" or "you have 1 year" and then the price goes, up, WAY UP! My ass. Never pay more than $1,000 for the warranty.

Good luck Bro!

------------------
Silver CL-S w/ Navi, Spoiler, Wheel Locks, Trunk Tray, 19169, 9005
Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1-S Proxes on Stock 17" CL-S wheels
Old 03-06-2001, 09:46 AM
Team Owner

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Technique:
Shawn,
You can buy an extended warranty for the car from ANY acura dealership at ANY time before the 4yr/50k original warranty expires
</font>
I'll look into that and get confirmation before June.

Thanks for the info.

Shawn S

------------------

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
Old 03-06-2001, 10:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Warranties are a good selling point also.....

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
-Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Prolarg M-6 lamps
Planning: Comptech Headers, Sways, CAI
Old 03-06-2001, 11:30 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

I have to tell you Shawn, I was surpised by your comment as well ! My dealeship wanted 1500.00, bargained with my credit union for the "exact" offering at 749.00 bucks ! NO pressure either !

"CASH TALKS AND BULLSHIT WALKS"

------------------
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Old 03-06-2001, 02:41 PM
Team Owner

What is this, pick on Shawn day ???

Shawn S

------------------

Old 03-06-2001, 11:05 PM
Race Director

Shawn, yes I am too surprise that you said....

Hehe, I purchased my CLS on 3/31 so we need to have resolution on this issue this week since I do plan to purchasee that extended warranty, also.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 03-07-2001, 12:08 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mercury:
I bought my S in June and didn't get the extended warranty on it. Can I still get it and what should it cost? Do you think it's worth it, I've never had a honda/acura but everything I read says these things are work horses and have few if any problems.</font>
Statisically speaking, don't ever buy an extended warranty on a car. This is my reasoning, most defects on a car are called 0 mile defects. These are major defects in the car that show up within the first few hundreds miles. If you make it out of the first few hundred miles, then statisically your car was built to specification. However, I do know that things do tend towards entropy and general disorder. That being said, look at it this way. Does shelling out the cost of the warranty justify how much a "statisically unlikely" repair will cost. Work the math for that and that sound answer your question. I know you are looking to buy some piece of mind, but lets face it, you bought one of the most reliable products in the world. In short, the car is either a piece of shit from the start or it is not a piece of shit from the start. Honda products are not POS. To borrow from one of the greatest movies of all time, Tommy Boy, "I could shit in a box and put a guarantee on it, but what would that mean?" You don't need an extended warranty. (And you don't need rust-proofing.) Those two are the greatest scams in America besides Amway.

------------------
-Phin
www.generationinformation.com
CHECK IT OUT!!
Old 03-07-2001, 12:42 AM
Suzuka Master

I guess I've just been unlucky (with cars). I got the extended warrantee (this time). I have owned 3 previous cars that were great, but I had to start dumping money right after the warrantee was up. It was not a case of total failure, just nasty bits and pieces that start adding up fast.

I have a friend with a '93 Maxima SE who would flame the heck out of you if he saw the post. His car worked great just until the end of warrantee. Just following this period:

his ABS broke
his window lifts broke (all of them)
his door locks on front passenger and driver failed.
his clutch failed.
his transmission is noisy and balky (manual)
his Bose radio and speakers failed (Bose likes to put cheap caps in their auto sound systems)

If he had the warrantee, he wouldn't have paid for any of the above!

It is just like buying insurance!

In my case, I don't drive a lot of miles, but do keep a car for as long as possible. If a tranny or engine goes with the cost of parts these days, the warrantee is cheap insurance (MHO).

However, if your talking about consumer electronics, or computers, I would never get the extended warrantee. The stuff I've bought generally will go bad in first 30-90 days (infant mortality). If it keeps running, well the stuff is obsolete by the time I need something else.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ NAVI
  • Mud Guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W* T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
  • Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1
  • Zaino magic
  • Sways, headers, CAI comming soon
Old 03-07-2001, 01:02 AM
Team Owner

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phinthesky:
If you make it out of the first few hundred miles, then statisically your car was built to specification.
Does shelling out the cost of the warranty justify how much a "statisically unlikely" repair will cost.
Work the math for that and that sound answer your question.

</font>
I agree that Honda/Acura builds reliable cars, but I plan on keeping my ride for about 100,000 miles and I want the peace of mind.

1,000 bucks or so for full protection to 100K is OK in my book.

Pop your hood and look at some of the High-Tech stuff under there.
Can you imagine how much a fried “Sport-Shift 5-Speed” tranny costs on one of these cars?
I would venture a guess at 5,000+.
Or, how about the ABS or VSA system? I couldn’t even imagine.
NAV System, HVAC, CD Changer shall I continue ?

One major claim after 40,000 miles and I will get all my “investment” back.

My 91 Legend Coupe ran for 110,000 without a problem before I sold it.
My CL-S is NOT built as well as my Legend was…..NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Shawn S

------------------

Old 03-07-2001, 01:30 AM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phinthesky:
Statisically speaking, don't ever buy an extended warranty on a car. This is my reasoning, most defects on a car are called 0 mile defects. These are major defects in the car that show up within the first few hundreds miles. If you make it out of the first few hundred miles, then statisically your car was built to specification. However, I do know that things do tend towards entropy and general disorder. That being said, look at it this way. Does shelling out the cost of the warranty justify how much a "statisically unlikely" repair will cost. Work the math for that and that sound answer your question. I know you are looking to buy some piece of mind, but lets face it, you bought one of the most reliable products in the world. In short, the car is either a piece of shit from the start or it is not a piece of shit from the start. Honda products are not POS. To borrow from one of the greatest movies of all time, Tommy Boy, "I could shit in a box and put a guarantee on it, but what would that mean?" You don't need an extended warranty. (And you don't need rust-proofing.) Those two are the greatest scams in America besides Amway.

</font>
If you think Tommy Boy is one of the greatest movies of all time, then I know exactly where you are coming from. Remember the deer that ended up in the backseat?

I would agree with your statements for the most part; however, I don't think an automobile is one of the most reliable products. Guns, clocks, radios, a Braun faucet, and a Trane are good examples. If I do the math and factor in the cost of repair, the probability says "Buy the warranty".

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 03-07-2001, 09:07 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
If you think Tommy Boy is one of the greatest movies of all time, then I know exactly where you are coming from. Remember the deer that ended up in the backseat?

I would agree with your statements for the most part; however, I don't think an automobile is one of the most reliable products. Guns, clocks, radios, a Braun faucet, and a Trane are good examples. If I do the math and factor in the cost of repair, the probability says "Buy the warranty".

</font>
Hey, if you believe the warranty will work for you and you did the math. What the hell, buy it.

------------------
-Phin
www.generationinformation.com
CHECK IT OUT!!
Old 03-07-2001, 01:34 PM
Racer

Is it 100,000 miles or 7 years? Whichever comes first I assume?
Old 03-07-2001, 01:55 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Just called Eric Bloom @ Springfield Acura...
here's the prices he gave me:

currently i have 17,500 miles on my type S after 10 months. so that means i average about 20k miles a year. my factory warranty is 50k mi / 4 years. that averages to 12,500 miles a year taking full advantage of your warranty.

i have two options based on my current mileage. either take an extended warranty for FIVE year/100,000miles for $870 which means i average 20,000miles a year, or purchase a SEVEN year/100,000miles for $1,060 which averages to 14,200 miles per year.

i guess depending on your situation is which one you decide to take. it'll be smarter for me to take the 5yr/100k package since i can rest assured i can drive my car for up to 20,000 miles a year which is just about right.

------------------
YuppieCL
'90 Accord LX
'01 3.2CL Type S
#6487, Satin Silver, Navi, Spoiler, Comptech springs, 35% Llumar window tint
PhotoPoint Pics!
Old 03-07-2001, 02:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are a number of ways to look at it. If you trade it in before 50K forget the extended warranty. The dealer will tell you the car is worth more in trade if you have it. You will never get the full price value.

The other way to look at it is this way. There are extended warranties on everything we purchase. Appliances, cars, etc.

I have never bought the extended warranty on anything. If I have a 3000 repair on my Acura I figure I am still way ahead. I just prefer to pay as I go rather than pay up front.
Old 03-07-2001, 03:50 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

I bought a 1998 Accord EX-V6 ! Reliable great car ! Serviced it "BY THE HONDA BOOK", same dealership for 3.5 years ! Drove the car easy, suddenly, the transmission DIED, DEAD after ONLY 78K TAMPERED miles ??????? What the Fu*k ????? Don't go by this "reliability bull shit", COVER YOUR ASS and for gods sake, 750.00 bucks is not going to break you ! Times are "changing" in this world we live in....pay attention....
BTW: Honda of America and my dealership is covering the cost of a new tranny: $5660.00. How much for our sweet CLS, good question Shawn, I believe much more !

------------------
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Old 03-07-2001, 08:16 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mickey3c:
There are a number of ways to look at it. If you trade it in before 50K forget the extended warranty. The dealer will tell you the car is worth more in trade if you have it. You will never get the full price value.

The other way to look at it is this way. There are extended warranties on everything we purchase. Appliances, cars, etc.

I have never bought the extended warranty on anything. If I have a 3000 repair on my Acura I figure I am still way ahead. I just prefer to pay as I go rather than pay up front.
</font>
What kind of math is this? For a <$1000 warranty that would cover the repair, you say you are better off avoid the warranty and paying for the $3000 repair out of your pocket some time in the future?

To me, that's doesn't make good business sense by any stretch of the imagination!

------------------
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

Old 03-07-2001, 08:25 PM
Race Director

damn i financed for 5 years

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
Black Wood Dash Kit
Currently on TL rims with Nokian Winter Tires
My CL-S
Old 03-11-2001, 06:10 PM
Team Owner

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kensteele:
I purchased my CLS on 3/31 so we need to have resolution on this issue this week since I do plan to purchasee that extended warranty, also.
</font>
Has anyone looked into this yet ????????
If you need to buy the plan within ONE YEAR that is.

Shawn S

------------------

Old 03-13-2001, 02:43 PM
dlp
Instructor

Insane - call your dealership and talk to the Sales Mgr... he has less vested in trying to pawn it off to you. If you have the money now, just do it now, I bought the extended warranty at the time of my marriage to the car, and I would do it again. I paid about 1500 for it, but it gives me piece of mind. When you buy Home Owners Ins, or Renters Ins, or Ins from UHaul or the rental car, you do it for piece of mind. I agree with an earlier post that you should never really consider a waaranty on a piece of electronic. By the time the thing craps out on you, you will have better/cheaper options. When dealing with a $30k+ purchase, a little ease of mind is good. Could I use the $1500 elsewhere? DEFINITELY, but I can use the possible cash outlay in a non-warrantied endeavor later even more - especially if it exceeds 1500! I don't plan on putting that many miles on the car for quite some time, so I will probably carry it to the full 100k miles on the extended warranty. If you plan n getting rid of the car in 4 years, don't bother with an extended, but if you purchased the CL with an intent to have it in your family for years to come - BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY. As for how long you have to purchase? I just spoke with the sales guy I went thru (and since I already bought the ex.war. he has no reason to sell me on it) and he said you have until the factory warranty (4 years) runs out. The cost may change based on the miles on the car (hence the avg annual mileage), but not too much variance. Hope this long post helps.