Extended Warranty... I got screwed..

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 01:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Extended Warranty... I got screwed..

So, when I bought my 01 CL-S, I purchased the Extended Warranty at Acura ($1,000 for 7 yr/100000K)... The only reason I purchased them was cause of the tranny issues..

I called the Dealer today and was told that the Extended coverage started at day 1 of owning the car. He checked and said if I was to cancell the Extended warranty as of today with 44K on the clock, I would get a refund of $530.

What a crock!!!
Old 11-18-2003, 01:14 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consider yourself a Lucky man, Anyone who purchased Warranty gold extended warrantys are up shits creek because the company went bankrupt, voided all the warranty's and wont pay back what they owe. You might as well keep your warranty, it'll pay it self back when you sell the car or if any one of the million things on our cars go wrong.
I see your point assuming your car is still under the manufacture's warranty, but next time just wait until the manuf. 's warranty is almost up. You really didnt get screwed, thats just how those businesses work....its a gamble, just like insurance.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I'm not so sure why you got screwed. Your WHOLE CAR is covered for 100k. That's not a bad thing at all. I did the same thing and I knew about the tranny extention. That extention only covers your tranny, but now you're covered for 7yrs or 100k on everything.

I did the same thing on my 98 CL... and two things needed to be fixed during the extended warranty period. One item was the sunroof switch and the other was a short in the dash causing the gas light to come on. The switch alone was a $700 something dollar job... so the warranty paid for itself one problem.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:19 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
You didn't really get screwed. Perhaps misinformed, but the prorating of the warranty extension is part of the contract you signed.

Old 11-18-2003, 01:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Scrib
You didn't really get screwed. Perhaps misinformed, but the prorating of the warranty extension is part of the contract you signed.

But why does my 'rear' hurt and burn sooooooooo much??

Old 11-18-2003, 02:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally posted by GoodFella98CL30
Consider yourself a Lucky man, Anyone who purchased Warranty gold extended warrantys are up shits creek because the company went bankrupt, voided all the warranty's and wont pay back what they owe. You might as well keep your warranty, it'll pay it self back when you sell the car or if any one of the million things on our cars go wrong.
I see your point assuming your car is still under the manufacture's warranty, but next time just wait until the manuf. 's warranty is almost up. You really didnt get screwed, thats just how those businesses work....its a gamble, just like insurance.
I a one of the sorry bastards that have a Warranty Gold contract. Luckily I got about $1000 of repairs for the $1150 I paid for it. Then my antilock brake system brain went out, that is when I found out about their liquidation. The repair cost me $535 out of my own pocket. I did my homework when looking for an extended warranty and WG seemed to be the most secure - they fooled a number of folks.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:31 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally posted by Eggplant-EX
Maybe you should trying giving "it" instead of taking "it"...

:P
Old 11-18-2003, 03:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Scrib
Maybe you should trying giving "it" instead of taking "it"...

:P
Okay Scrib...

Bend over and I will give you a 'pounding'

Old 11-18-2003, 04:01 PM

hahaha
Old 11-18-2003, 04:06 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Old 11-19-2003, 04:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Look at it this way you already spent the $$, it's gone. Move on.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:30 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

But........Acura extended the warranty on the transmission to 100,000 miles on their own!
Old 11-19-2003, 08:56 AM
Racer

extended warranty includes everything, almost everything (deductible and shit). On the other hand, extended transmission warranty covers only the transmission? am i correct?
Old 11-19-2003, 09:50 AM
Drifting

I really don't know what to say about this, but here is an interesting story.

I usually never buy extended warranties that are always offered by Best Buy, Comp USA, etc, because the only reason they offer these things are because it is profitable-to them!

But one time, before Acura even existed, my girlfriend said her car was shot and asked me to find here a good used car; price limit $6000 before taxes.

So I find an 85 or 6 Dodge daytona turbo, 12,000 miles, flawless inside and out, and I wonder why someone would trade in such a nice car with low miles. I found the owners manual with their name and town in it so I contacted them. The married couple had just had twins and didn't want to mess with two babies and a two door. They bought a more practical car. I was assured the car was flawless. The lowest I could negotiate was $6,500. The GF nixed the deal due to price, so I said what the hell, and I bought it.

During the deal, I was swayed to buy an extended warranty for $499 from borg warner as the warranty company. This is the one and only time I have done this. I was swayed by the fact that if the turbo went out, replacement out of pocket would be $2,000.

Now here is what happened to the car, which I owned for less than 16 months. There was a small deductible for each repair of, if I recall correctly, $26.

After two weeks, no power steering. Check resevoir. Empty. Taken to dealer. Figured a seal need to be replaced. Wrong. Entire steering rack (made by borg warner, incidentially) needs replacement. Would have been $650.

A month passes. Head gasket gives way and engine overheats. Would have been $375.

Another month (or so) passes, valve seat drops out of head while driving, disabling car. Valve beats the shit out of the seat, turning it into pieces. Said valve beats pieces into piston, requiring complete engine removal and teardown. $1,200. Remember, this is 1986 money.

Car performs fine for three months. Suddenly, gas mileage drops to 75 miles PER TANK! in a four cylinder. I caused this. We had a 100 year event concerning rain, and I drove to work through water that was up to the wipers-no shit! This caused the timing to jump, and due to the miracle compensating qualities of fuel injection, the car still ran. Another $350. Now here is when things get interesting. I was told two days for repair, at the dealer I bought the car from. At noon on day two, I called the dealer for a progress report. I was told they have no record of my car, in effect, they were telling me I was not the dealer I took the car to, and to check elsewhere.

WHOA! I called Mom for a ride, and we went there. I found my car for sale, on the used car lot with no plates on it. Dealer denies that the car is mine. Forced to go home and get sales contract to prove VIN. Eventually resolved, and the dealership apologizes.

Two months goes by. Car starts, but stalls. Catalytic converter pulgged. $270.

Three months goes by. Auto trannie fails. $1,300.

About this time, the $26 deductibles are starting to add up. Plus, I figure I have cost Borg Warner enough money that they can probably afford to put a hit man on me, so I trade the daytona for a brand new Chrysler LeBaron, another piece of shit. Finally, I got wise and bought a Honda Prelude SI, and I am now on my eighth Honda product, and I am happy as a clam.

I always try to trade my cars with less than 30,000 miles on them, so the next buyer has some piece of mind, and the dealer has something concrete to offer to the customer.

Moral of the story: Go figure!
Old 11-19-2003, 10:03 AM
Racer

dfreder370 Wow! What a story to show how important warranties really are! That car would have been long gone if you didn't have warranty hey?! I love my CL-S!
Old 11-19-2003, 10:36 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Damn Dave. You have some of the most entertaining stories here.

How in the HELL could a dealer list your car for sale like that??? Dipasses.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:19 AM
Racer

dfreder370, you should have waited until the dealer has sold your car, and then you go in there to claim ownership They would have compensated you well for the criminal act they did. Honestly, I am surprised that after your ordeal with the Daytona, you went right back to buy another Chrysler product
Old 11-19-2003, 12:04 PM
It's not over yet

Originally posted by Eggplant-EX

no vaseline?
Old 11-19-2003, 05:14 PM
Beware of leakage

quite a story defreder.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:46 PM
In Da LBC with Snoop Dogg

Originally posted by miner
I a one of the sorry bastards that have a Warranty Gold contract. Luckily I got about $1000 of repairs for the $1150 I paid for it. Then my antilock brake system brain went out, that is when I found out about their liquidation. The repair cost me $535 out of my own pocket. I did my homework when looking for an extended warranty and WG seemed to be the most secure - they fooled a number of folks.
Ditto!

I hadn't even filed a claim yet, I found out when I went to the dealer to make my first claim. Now I am out $1200 and I plan on getting in on a class action lawsuit to try and recoup some of my dough!

WG seemed like the best out there at the time, now I am sour at extended warranties of anything!
Old 11-19-2003, 08:15 PM
Racer

Fraud! Theft! Aren't there laws againist this sort of thing?! I almost forgot (brain fart) about my own little story. I went to dealer to buy new car with my BMW as a trade. Well, they weren't giving me a good deal so I asked for my registration back that they had asked to check on (right!) and they all of a sudden couldn't find it anywhere,trying to keep me there longer to possibly to make the sale still! Needless to say I became very upset, wanted to deck the guy right there, but walked out and told them to mail it to me pronto. I wonder if I had threatened to call the cops if they would have changed their tune?! But to take your car putting it already up for sale is another thing! There should be some consumer laws that would put a stop to dealer tactics such as this duh!
Old 11-19-2003, 08:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by agui
no vaseline?

Nah! They used a dab of axle grease. Hence the red ass!

Yeow!!!!!!!!!!!!