Exporting my CL

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 01:33 PM
1 Dog, 2 Cats and a G-Pig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exporting my CL

Anyone know anything about how to export my CL from Michigan to Turkey?

Searched the web couldn't find anything about prices... just wondering if it is excessively expensive... if it is 1 or 2 grand then I can do it, any more and I would just sell my cl and get a new car there.

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:37 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
movin to turkey?
Old 06-10-2003, 01:37 PM
Racer

I heard a few people talking about this at work the other day and they mentioned around 3-5Gs.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:42 PM

My fiancee is there... don't like living alone, so I figured I'd look into moving there... don't speak a word of turkish though... whatever... 3-5 is pretty steep since my car costs probably only about 10...
Old 06-10-2003, 01:53 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
you'll be lucky to get 10K for your car, i've heard 98-99 3.0's are trading for 7-8.5K at the auctions
Old 06-10-2003, 01:56 PM

More reason that 3-5k is definetely not worth it to export the car... I do like it though, and I know they don't have acuras in turkey...

I e-mailed a bunch of those companies and didn't get a response...

So you think 7.5 - 8 is pretty safe value for the car?
Old 06-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Where is my super sauce?

This thread reminded me of something...I know this is a long post, but it's funny. This is real, from the Department of State's website on travel warnings. This has been on the website for many years now.

http://travel.state.gov/turkdrv.html

Turkey = bad drivers.
DRIVER SAFETY BRIEFING FOR TURKEY
The cardinal rules of safety to survive Turkish driving are: drive very defensively, avoid driving at night, and never let emotions affect what you do.
The Regional Security Office has analyzed American employee accidents that have occurred during the past several years in order to identify "lessons learned" that can be utilized to increase driver safety and perhaps even save lives or at least prevent injuries. The conclusion is that many of the accidents -- not all, but many-were avoidable.

A number of accidents occurred when a local driver stopped, turned or took some unexpected action which caused the U.S. driver to hit the other vehicle or be struck by someone else. Many of the "unexpected" actions were unexpected according to U.S. driving standards but are quite common in Ankara and Istanbul and other parts of the country. About half of the accidents were clearly, according to local standards, the fault of the non-U.S. drivers. The key to reducing accidents is situational awareness, concentration and extremely defensive driving.

In the highly congested city of Istanbul, a high percentage of traffic-related deaths are pedestrians. The highest risk group for pedestrians is children and adolescents-totaling about 40 percent. Statistics released by the Istanbul Traffic Police, for example, indicate that evening rush hour (5-8 p.m.) is the most dangerous time on local highways. Not surprisingly, it is also the time of day when drivers are the least attentive. In 1995, Ankara and Istanbul provinces accounted for almost half of the total vehicle accidents in Turkey; Ankara 43,517, Istanbul 74,905, countrywide total 233,803. 1996 figures are even higher with 156,000 accidents in the first six months.

A number of defensive measures can and should be taken to increase the odds in your favor for accident-free driving. They are presented here, followed by some unique driving challenges or "threats" to watch out for in and around Ankara, Istanbul and other parts of this country.

DEFENSIVE MEASURES
-- Always wear seat belts.

-- Children should ride in the back seat with seat belts on and/or in a child safety seat.

-- Drive defensively, defensively, defensively.

-- Dusk is a particularly dangerous time on intercity highways because most drivers delay turning on their headlights until well after dark. Oncoming traffic can be very difficult to see.

-- Situational awareness is imperative.

-- Use horn to get pedestrians' attention.

-- Use horn and lights to get the attention of other drivers.

-- Pay attention when other drivers use their horns.

-- Check all mirrors and use directional signals for lane changes.

-- Check right side mirror in particular.

-- Confirm with direct visual check. Do not rely solely on mirrors.

-- Use four-way flashers to warn drivers behind of slowed/blocked traffic to avoid being hit from behind.

-- Drive defensively. This is not a catch phrase to be taken lightly.

-- Expect the unexpected.

-- Wear seat belts consistently. They can reduce injuries and save lives.

-- Drive each day as though you were on a mission: the goal of which is not to be involved in an accident, cause an accident or strike a pedestrian.

-- Watch out for trucks and buses that take the right-of-way without signaling, whether they are entitled to it or not.

-- Make sure your lights, signals, horn and brakes are in proper order.

-- During rain and snowstorms, drivers must be extremely attentive and situationally aware. Accidents increase dramatically during storms and particularly at night.

-- Assume nothing. Make no assumptions about what another driver may do or how they will react in a situation. Do not assume that they have seen your vehicle or will do the "right" thing.

Pay particular attention to all of the following which are common in Ankara, Istanbul and others parts of the country:

-- Passing on the right and cutting in front of other vehicles from the right side.

-- Unexpected stops or turns without signaling, for no apparent reason.

-- Stopping in unexpected locations to pick up or let off passengers by cars, buses and trucks, including main highway entrance ramps, intersections, and along major highways.

-- Pedestrians seemingly completely oblivious to oncoming traffic who continue to walk or run in front of vehicles to cross streets and main highways.

-- Trucks parked at night without lights on the highway rather than on the side of the road.

-- Disabled vehicles parked without warning signs.

-- Completely inattentive drivers.

-- Unskilled drivers.

-- Taxis and other vehicles with bad brakes.

-- Unexpected lane changes and stops by taxis, mini-buses (dolmus) and city buses.

-- Tractors, horsecarts and farm vehicles traveling without lights at slow speed on highways.

-- In the countryside, the use of stones rather than warning signs to mark accidents, breakdowns, and road work.

-- During rainstorms, accidents increase dramatically because of oil on the road surface.

-- Road surfaces that are much smoother and provide less traction than normal.

-- Vehicles backing up (in reverse) on exit ramps and on main highways.

-- Animals on highways.

-- In the countryside, watch for herds of sheep, goats and other animals on roads.

-- Drivers that drive in the middle of the road and yield to no one.

-- Drivers that overtake on blind curves.

-- At night, cars without lights or lights missing.

-- Oncoming drivers who play inscrutable light games, flashing and flashing whether you have your "brights" on or not.

-- Tire-shredding potholes.

-- Tailgating drivers.

-- Drivers that attempt to pass while you are passing another vehicle.

-- Unmarked intersections (i.e., no stop signs), primary road has right of way, but proceed with caution.

Watch for temporary checkpoints and traffic stops particularly at night. These are usually set up for one of three reasons: (1) routine license and registration checks, (2) during times of high terrorist threat, to watch for certain individuals, (3) DWI checks, which are normally done late at night and on weekends in areas with restaurants and clubs. Often, vehicles with diplomatic, consular or Turkish General Staff (TGS) license plates will be waved through once the police see that a foreigner is driving. In case you are stopped, be prepared to show your Turkish identification card or passport and U.S. driver's license and vehicle registration. (Note - If you are involved in an accident - even when not found at fault - a Breathalyzer or blood test is almost always mandatory. If you are not considered responsible for the accident, positive test results will not be used against you by the police. However, they may be used by an insurance company as grounds to deny an accident claim.) The unofficial "protocol" for military and Jandarma checkpoints in the eastern provinces is to turn on the vehicle's inside lights and dim the headlights while stopping for inspection. Roll down the driver's side window in vehicles with tinted glass. This makes it easier for soldiers to safely identify and check the vehicle and its occupants. During this type of inspection, remain calm, do not make any quick movements and obey instructions.

You should always have your vehicle registration, insurance policy, and driver's license (or copies) in your car. If there is an accident, you will need all three.

Vehicle Equipment
Mandatory

-- First-aid kit

-- Reflective warning triangle

Optional

-- Fire extinguisher

-- Locking gas cap

-- An inexpensive camera with fiash to document accidents

-- Chalk to mark accident scenes

-- Tow rope or cable

-- Jumper cables

-- Snow chains. During storms, vehicles without chains are not allowed on some roads and bridges

-- The installation of special reflective tape inside the trunk lid (or rear hatch) and on door jams that can be illuminated by vehicles approaching from the rear when your vehicle is stopped with the trunk or doors open.

-- PTT Jetons and phonecards for telephone calls

-- Spare directional and headlamp bulbs

Increased Driver Awareness during Ramadan
The Moslem holy month of Ramadan will be celebrated between January 10, 1997, and February 8, 1997. During Ramadan, many people fast between the hours of sunrise and sunset. The fast includes not taking food, water, tea/coffee, and no smoking. This temporary lack of food and stimulants while fasting during Ramadan has in the past had a deleterious effect on levels of alertness, particularly for persons driving trucks, buses, taxis and cars. Consequently, it is important for all employees and family members to be particularly aware of this potential danger and alert to other drivers. Practice defensive driving, particularly during this month of the year. The holidays or "Bayrams" that follow Ramadan result in a dramatic increase in intercity vacation traffic and the highest accident rates of the year.

Here's a taxi safety tip: Always ride in the rear of a taxi, never in the front. In the event of an accident, the risk of serious injury is generally reduced by more than 50%.
Made me the first time I read this a few years ago.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:09 PM

funny
Old 06-10-2003, 02:13 PM
Banned

is your fiance like a mail order bride or something?? whats she doing all the way around the world??? your situation gives new meaning to LONG DISTANCE RELATIONSHIP!! how long would you be living there?? permenantly?
Old 06-10-2003, 02:31 PM
Where is my super sauce?

I'm re-reading this and realize that many of these bulleted items sound like driving in Philadelphia! Like:
    Old 06-10-2003, 02:37 PM
    Team Owner

WOW…. Driving in Turkey sounds a LOT like New Jersey.

Shawn S
    Old 06-10-2003, 02:49 PM
    teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
    Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
    Originally posted by mrateb
    More reason that 3-5k is definetely not worth it to export the car... I do like it though, and I know they don't have acuras in turkey...

I e-mailed a bunch of those companies and didn't get a response...

So you think 7.5 - 8 is pretty safe value for the car?

i'd try 8-9K sometimes you get lucky
    Old 06-10-2003, 04:39 PM
    an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
    One thing you better take into consideration concerning shipping you car into Turkey ... unless customs has changed dramatically, your car and any accessories are going to be listed on some official documentation (beyanamme ((sp)) it's called) - and each/every item has to be accounted for - period! I even had oil filters included in my household goods shipment for a rotary engine Mazda I took with me and they were listed on the fawking form, meaning that if I changed my oil (which was the intention) I'd have to keep the dirty filters and export them when it was time to leave (got around this by having some pouched to me via dip shipments). The laws are designed to prevent us well-off yanks from selling our personal goods to the locals at hugh profits blah blah blah. Traffic lights just arrived in Ankara, and they were really pretty things to look at (this is how the Turks reacted to them). If you value your car, don't take it. But if you bring it in, and it is totalled, you're gonna have to take the pieces out.
    Old 06-11-2003, 05:46 AM

My fiancee is from there. Met here in school. She got a job w/ Fiat there, so she went back... now as much as I "love" my job, I hate living here alone, so movin on over

Its lookin' less and less likely that I'll take the car... just not worth the hassle... The move is still maybe a year away... we'll see...

Going to visit in September.
    Old 06-11-2003, 03:45 PM
    an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
    For your sake, I hope that things have changed in Turkey.

According to the local GI's stationed in/around Ankara ... Turkish girls use to live by the following mantra ...

Hand in hand

Hand in thing

Thing in hand :wackit:

but never Thing in Thing