Which Exhaust... Need your input

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 01:17 PM
Sold but not Forgotten...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Exhaust... Need your input

I know this question has been asked before... did a lot of search so basically I am overloaded with the info... This is what i would like.... basically when driving the car on lower rpms I would like a nice performance tone... but when vtec is engaged I would like to hear a deep agreesive tone....

On thursday I am expecting the delivery on comptech headers, icebox, H&R Springs... The dealer is offering a great deal on the strut and sway bars which i might pick up as well...

Exhaust in mind are the comptech catback, the greddy evo2, and the tanabe

Your input will be really helpful, since when all this is installed next on the agenda will be the rims, which follows with the supercharger....

Thanks again for all your help guys...
Old 01-27-2004, 01:45 PM
Audi S4 driver

wow those are some deep pockets you have there

There is a long video of the Greddy EVO2 catback on here somewhere .. do a search. as far as comptech, I have the axleback, and I think the sound is just right. Deep tone at low RPM. When I had the AEM, VTEC was LOUD. I have since switched to the icebox. VTEC is quieter, but the power is still there .. its kinda cool. instead of be loud and fast your just as fast but a tad quieter. You don't notice the exhaust as much inside the cabin in VTEC. I think comptech designs the mufflers like this on purpose so it doesn't sound high-pitched (and dare I say ricey?) at high RPM VTEC. I have never heard the Tanabe.

BTW, you never mentioned what kind of shocks you got .. if your doing strut tower brace, sway bars, and springs .. I'd assume your doing shocks too? Konis?
Old 01-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Racer

The Evo2's sound good.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:30 PM

Hey blader, thanks for the detail input.... well i havent decided on the shocks yet... have to do more reasearch in that area. Wanted to ask ya how do you like you tokcio?? howz the ride....

well all this is gonna be kept in my garage till march... its been crazy here... for the past 3 wks.... its been snowing every two to three days... another blizaard today... the baby is parked in the garage... till it clears up....
Old 01-27-2004, 02:35 PM
Audi S4 driver

Ride is good with the shocks. Not quite as stiff as Koni, but I'm not so sure I'd want it that stiff. The Koni's handle great, and corner like a mother******, but on bumpy roads they are stiff...the tokico's still handle well and corner well, but give a little on those potholes and bumps. Perfect balance IMO. I have a daily driver so I still need it comfortable and functional. And great value for the price .. 299\set.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:00 PM

Does anyone have a clip for the comptech catback exhaust... that would be helpful...
Old 01-27-2004, 03:03 PM
Audi S4 driver

I could make a clip, I just have to con a friend into holding the camera outside in the cold while I do a run. Although probably can't get traction at the moment .. I don't think there are any CT exhaust clips on the boards that I know of .. at least I couldn't find any when I wanted one.
Old 01-27-2004, 03:09 PM

thanx blader..... would really appreciate that... I have heard of the greddy evo2 clip... sounds great... wanted to hear a comptech clip on how the exhaust sounds.... appreciate it...
Old 01-27-2004, 09:05 PM

can someone who has a comptech icebox, and a comptech exhaust post a the link, or a clip of their car... it would real helpful... and appreciated.... it will really help me in making my choice....
Old 01-27-2004, 10:56 PM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my Comptech setup with B-Pipe.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:17 AM
2 C Not 2 Touch

Originally posted by babyblue
Hey blader, thanks for the detail input.... well i havent decided on the shocks yet... have to do more reasearch in that area. Wanted to ask ya how do you like you tokcio?? howz the ride....

well all this is gonna be kept in my garage till march... its been crazy here... for the past 3 wks.... its been snowing every two to three days... another blizaard today... the baby is parked in the garage... till it clears up....

Hey babyblue, if you've got the green, invest it on some TEINs. I bunch of my buddies have it and they love it. Smooth ride, almost like stock. The fender and tire gap for the front and rear will look the same. I'm switching away from my current EIBACH Pro-Kit to TEIN SS. Expensive I know, but I've got to have control of my suspension.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:45 AM
Audi S4 driver

if it weren't so damn snowy and shitty out I'd make an exhaust clip
Old 01-28-2004, 08:52 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here's two .wav files from the Comptech Exhaust on the TL. Sounds the same as if it were on the CL.

http://www.autocarparts.com/part/113/Acura/CL/
Old 01-28-2004, 09:08 AM
Audi S4 driver

hmm .. I dont really think mine sounds like that. maybe the icebox and headers make a difference? I heard a friend take off in my car and it sounded a HELL of alot better than that.

then again it always sounds better taking off than revving in park\neutral.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:09 AM
I hate the Mets

Love the Evo catback sound...Sounds just right when motoring around 2.5-3k and when you really open it up...people will turn their heads
Old 01-28-2004, 09:20 AM
Race Director

Originally posted by blader
then again it always sounds better taking off than revving in park\neutral.
Yeah i forgot to mention he isn't actually going anywhere.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:57 PM

thanks guys for all your input... it really helps... let me go in and see what i get will post all the pics once i have all the parts

so tein SS eh... gonna think it over on that... thanks again
Old 01-28-2004, 03:17 PM

blader even a clip with ur car parked in neutral will give me a general idea.... so even that will help...
Old 01-28-2004, 07:16 PM
Audi S4 driver

I could do that. but I'd much rather you hear it take off. I've heard my friend take off in my car, sounds dramatically better than just revving in park.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:52 PM
Banned

blader the comptech exhaust sounds different on the auto than on the 6 spd.

sounds much better on the 6 speed IMHO

the gearing of the 6 speed keeps the rpms higher so it just sounds nice...sounds great in auto but when the rpms get too low the droning starts

I got use to the droning but people always commented on it
Old 01-28-2004, 07:57 PM
Audi S4 driver

Really?? didnt know that

after having the exhaust for like a month now .. I've kinda gotten used to the droning as well. I almost don't even notice it AT ALL on the highway. I'm sure eventually it'll start to get to me. The first ride I took on the highway after I installed it I found it annoying but it quickly got tuned out in my head.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:05 PM

will the droning be there for the evo2 as well... since if the compech has a drone.... and is one of the quietest exhaust.... I go with the comptech... since I cant stand the droning sound....
Old 01-28-2004, 11:33 PM
One who Laps

Comptech.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:39 AM
Instructor

Greddy evo2
Sounds like a MANS car. IMHO Comptech is too tame for me. Hear both and decide for youself.. Different strokes for different folks
Its YOUR car

-Zee
Old 01-29-2004, 07:30 AM
Audi S4 driver

Originally posted by babyblue
will the droning be there for the evo2 as well... since if the compech has a drone.... and is one of the quietest exhaust.... I go with the comptech... since I cant stand the droning sound....
I wouldn't exactly say comptech is the quietest. I've heard that the HKS draggers are quieter. I've also heard that the evo2 DOES NOT drone (correct me if I'm wrong) because it uses two resonators? but you always have the oppurtunity to use the Comptech Quiet tip inserts to kill the droning. I have a set but havent installed them yet because I like the sound and have gotten used to the droning. believe me after a little while you wont even notice.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:36 AM
Audi S4 driver

I just listened to that Evo2 vid clip again .. I think he has an AEM, and thats where most of the upper RPM noise is coming from on those runs, just like comptech .. you mostly only hear the exhaust down low. and I think I can hear a little bit of droning while he's cruising.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:51 AM

blader here is the original thread....

well i believe mattg has the aem intake, while the greddy video has the icebox... the link is...

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1

thts with the icebox and the greddy evoloution exhaust....
Old 01-29-2004, 02:07 PM
Audi S4 driver

Oh, sounded to me like an AEM. my mistake. I don't think my icebox is that loud. I guess the greddy is a little louder at top end than the Comptech.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:25 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by blader
but you always have the oppurtunity to use the Comptech Quiet tip inserts to kill the droning.
Yeah but that kills ALL the sound. So now your back to a stock exhaust that looks like the Comptech one.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:43 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i like the look of the competchs the best but have never heard them
Old 01-29-2004, 06:17 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
i'd get the Greddy SP if you can, it sounds better then the EVO and is quieter IMO
Old 01-29-2004, 06:41 PM
Audi S4 driver

alright .. now I'm gonna have to get a clip of this exhaust.

if it was warmer out, I'd get a parked rev with comptech, a takeoff with comptech, and then a parked rev with the quiet tips, and a takeoff with the quiet tips. but I dont know if any of my friends would freeze there ass off long enough to get these four videos! would anyone be willing to host them if I took them? or point me to somewhere I can upload them to?
Old 01-29-2004, 10:31 PM

blader that would be great... I would have gladly volunteered if I was down there... come on someone in the area help him out.... I really need to hear the tone on the comptech

guys off the note... i went to the speedorama show in toronto last week... Took 30 clips of modd'ed rides... if someone can point the directions on how to uploaded the images here i will be glad to post them for you all... acura woodbine had a supercharged nsx, a comptech supercharged s2000 which dyno'd at 304 hp.... rsx with brembo, comptech headers, k&n filter, fibre glass hood, jdm lights, custom interior, plus other rides as well... thanks again everyone...
Old 01-29-2004, 10:46 PM
Beware of leakage

I have Thermal R& D's. On my Auto in D5 when fifth kicks in early and RPMs drop, major drone. I drive in SS mode 95 % of the time, not because of the drone, but just because I like it. If I was going to switch I would get the Greddy Evo's or the HKS and get the CT B pipe to go with it.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:59 AM
One who Laps

I had to chime in on this thread. If you want proven gains in hp from your exhaust, go with the Comptech. They have put alot of research into the design, backpressure and it's dyno proven.
If you buy something else or start mixing and matching b-pipes and cans, you may get unfavorable results from a power standpoint. Losing torque is also another issue with many other brands as well.
As far as sound goes, they all sound pretty nice and all look better than stock but the best product for the CL is the Comptech, period.
If sound is your sole concern, I guess none of this matters, you must be a ricer!
Old 01-30-2004, 10:09 AM

sonor kid....

first and foremost... i aint no ricer thats the reason i was asking everyone input... secondly what i have ordered for my ride so far is all comptech... so please dont even put me in that boat...

reason i was asking was that i wanted everyone input in regards to what they have, and how they like it... tht was all... and yes I do want proven gains... if you go through my post i have asked that i would like an agressive sound... but with no droning.. and all.. dont wanna sound ricy... so plz...

as of right now and with the input so far received i will most likely get the comptech cat back...
Old 01-30-2004, 12:08 PM
One who Laps

Babyblue, thanks for the reply but I wasn't jumping on you. I understand that you are exploring all options but many others here care sloely about looks and sound, not realizing they may be hurting themselves in other areas.
Good luck!
Old 01-30-2004, 01:16 PM

sonor kid....

well just wanted to get things clear.. i want the most HP, and power... nothing ricey.... thats why...

thank you everyone for your input... the decision will be made shortly...
Old 01-30-2004, 03:44 PM
Audi S4 driver

alright .. I made the CT exhaust clip! Does someone want to host it?
Old 01-30-2004, 03:57 PM

blader thank you so much... i really appreciate it bro... i really do... Can someone please tell him on how to host the clip thanx eh...

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust... Need your input