Which Exhaust... Need your input

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 11:23 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
take a looksie here, these are movie clips of my magnaflow exhaust. Similar to comptech looks, sounds like a v-8
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=119481
Old 01-31-2004, 03:29 AM
Sold 12/29/04 :-(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by blader
Oh, sounded to me like an AEM. my mistake. I don't think my icebox is that loud. I guess the greddy is a little louder at top end than the Comptech.
Hey blader,

The reason my CT Intake sounds louder is because I swapped out the foam filter for a K&N filter.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=117815
It adds more of a growl.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:36 PM
Sold but not Forgotten...

SFLA you had both of them.... in your opinion do you like the greddy evo2 over comptech? If you could tell me what made you swithc, and why it would help.... secondly what do you like about the greddy over the comptech and y? + with bladers video.. that would basically sum up all that I need to make the choice...
Old 01-31-2004, 03:05 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by sonor kid

I had to chime in on this thread. If you want proven gains in hp from your exhaust, go with the Comptech. They have put alot of research into the design, backpressure and it's dyno proven.
If you buy something else or start mixing and matching b-pipes and cans, you may get unfavorable results from a power standpoint. Losing torque is also another issue with many other brands as well.
As far as sound goes, they all sound pretty nice and all look better than stock but the best product for the CL is the Comptech, period.
If sound is your sole concern, I guess none of this matters, you must be a ricer!
What are you a comptech REP? Talk about kissing ass. Comptech makes good shit, no doubt about it. Doesnt meant the greddy evo2 exhaust isnt just as good or better. I think the greddy sounds better, and i know it makes good gains. If comptech sounded more throatier and better im sure more peopl would get it. But theres no point in saying what you said, How comptech is the only way to go and everything else is rice..

-Zee
Old 01-31-2004, 03:23 PM
Audi S4 driver

Originally posted by SFLA_Type-S
Hey blader,

The reason my CT Intake sounds louder is because I swapped out the foam filter for a K&N filter.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=117815
It adds more of a growl.
Oh I didnt know swapping for the K&N gives it more sound. I might have to do that then. Its not as loud as the AEM tho, is it? and it doesn't bring back all those weird AEM noises?

BTW .. anyone want to host that clip??
Old 01-31-2004, 04:38 PM
Instructor

Oh I didnt know swapping for the K&N gives it more sound. I might have to do that then. Its not as loud as the AEM tho, is it? and it doesn't bring back all those weird AEM noises?

Thanx for the clip blader, your car does sound sweet.
Old 01-31-2004, 05:04 PM

balders, thanks for the clip... going comtech catback... that all that i needed to hear.... plus i have seen the craftmanship for comptech....

maybe the mods should place this post in the FAQ's since a lot as been discussed here...

thanks again for your input everyone
Old 01-31-2004, 05:09 PM
Audi S4 driver

Thanks for the compliments guys, babyblue your going to love your car with the icebox, exhaust and headers. Be sure to post pics and review when they get there.

-Rolf
Old 01-31-2004, 05:22 PM

Rolf,

I will be doing that... will take photos prior, during, and after install... Thinking of doing a dyno b4 and after to see actual results...
Old 01-31-2004, 05:23 PM
Audi S4 driver

That would be a great idea, it'd give me an idea of what I gained too
Old 02-01-2004, 12:03 AM

Originally posted by babyblue
SFLA you had both of them.... in your opinion do you like the greddy evo2 over comptech? If you could tell me what made you swithc, and why it would help.... secondly what do you like about the greddy over the comptech and y? + with bladers video.. that would basically sum up all that I need to make the choice...
I had the Comptech exhaust over a 2 years. The main reason I got rid of the Comptech was because of the droning on the highway. It was really annoying. Also, there was no quiet tip inserts back then. Another thing I hated about the CT was the pea shooter rolled tips. They were too small for me & the rolled design makes them hard to keep clean. Then I switched to the HKS (which I liked), but sold them to get extra money to buy 18's & tires.

When I decided to get a catback exhaust, I went for the Greddy exhaust because I think they look good & make a high quality product. I used to have a Greddy exhaust on my Integra GS-R years ago & had nothing but good things to say about it. I also know that Greddy has a reputation for making a great sounding exhausts, so the sound was not a issue for me. I have never heard a car with a Greddy exhaust that didn't sound good. The decision wasn't that hard for me. To tell you the truth, the only reason I didn't get the Greddy sooner was because they did not have an application to fit the CL-S until recently. If they did, I would not have bought the CT exhaust in the first place.

No the filter swap does not make it as loud as the AEM, but it adds just the right amount of growl when you get on it.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:36 AM

SFLA

Thanks for your feedback again.... How bad is the droning on the hw... is it that bad... that i will need t get the quiet inserts?? cuz bro, overall i want to lose any hp, over sound.... does the greddy keep the same hp?

once again thanks for your feedback
Old 02-01-2004, 02:29 AM
Instructor

SFLA

Thanks for your feedback again.... How bad is the droning on the hw... is it that bad... that i will need t get the quiet inserts?? cuz bro, overall i want to lose any hp, over sound.... does the greddy keep the same hp?

Bro, Like I said go Greddy. You know u drive alot of highway. Drone will KILL you and i think with the quiet inserts itll be to quiet,
Old 02-01-2004, 02:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
i sold my comptech mufflers to get the greddy evo. no regrets here.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=128612
Old 02-01-2004, 02:37 AM
Instructor

You see this..

ITS a SIGN!
You better get comptech im gonna kick your ass if you dont..
Old 02-01-2004, 12:43 PM

oh man... there we go again.... hey zee dont make me come down to NY and really whip your ass little brother.... zee wht next u gonna do on the vette?? keep me posted...

well matt i saw the clip of your car it sounds real nice eh... nice deep agressive tone... the sound is more of the aem correct?? I wish i lived further south, would have definitely got the aem.... anyways, as SFLA said, was there a droning sound coming from the comtech, cuz i dont want that at all... so let me know mate...
Old 02-01-2004, 05:31 PM
Instructor

Yea I will bro..

But listen you dont want droning and everyone has said the comptech exhaust drones.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:49 PM

SFLA

The Comptech & QT inserts make it quieter than stock & I think you will lose 1-2 horses. The Greddy does not drone on the highway & you will have gained at least 3-4 horses (possibly more) because it's a catback!!!
Old 02-01-2004, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by mattg
i sold my comptech mufflers to get the greddy evo. no regrets here.

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...hreadid=128612
Nice vids Matt, your car looks & sounds sweet. Next time you might want to consider making the vids a little bit longer than 8 seconds.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:07 AM

MattG and SFLA thanks for your input, My exhaust wont have the quiet inserts, no point in putting that on and losing hp... secondly you have the evo, or the evo2? What a good site or store to order from, and for how did you guys pay for it if you dont mind me asking... I called the dealership and told him to put the comptech on hold... He was like a little annoyed but, since already paid for headers, intake he isn't saying much... thanks again, you guyz have be thinking now for the greddy....

but as i said max gain, no droning, and no inserts to make the tip quiet, so shifting to the greddy
Old 02-02-2004, 10:41 AM
Audi S4 driver

OK just my opinion but .... HP gain for an exhaust on the CLS is SO MINIMAL, I don't think it should be a factor for you. I am telling you right now I felt NO difference from the CT axle backs. they supposedly add 2 hp. so even if the greddy catback adds 4hp, there is no way your going to feel a 4 HP difference. Biggest difference with exhaust on CLS is sound (which will tend to make you think you gained HP), and looks. I think a major point about the GReddy is the lack of droning on the highway. That almost makes me want to buy it. I kinda find it hard to believe though, how could ANY aftermarket high flow exhaust NOT drone at SOME engine speed in 5th gear?
Old 02-03-2004, 04:08 PM

blader,

meeting up with a guy who has the headers, exhaust comptech, and aem intake with springs, sways... that should give me a good feed on the droning...
Old 02-03-2004, 04:14 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When your cruising on the Highway just put it in D4 and bye bye droning with the CT exhausts.