Exhaust debate for you all !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 04:41 PM
i use the search button

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust debate for you all !!

ok im going to throw an idea out at you all.

in looking at exhaust systems for the 2001 cl-s there arent very many options for us at all. i had an idea i contemplated for a nanosecond but thought id give you all a crack at it. instead of having a dual muffler setup why not do a single setup?
yes i know the space left from the other side would look weird but who would really know? we would yes i know but, maybe run 2.75" piping from cat to rear, go possibly a magnaflow just as some have stated here as a straight thru, it would be throaty and be higher flow than some. cost would be cheaper than some avail units. and WEIGHT would be reduced by a margin.
or if you feel like rice for your vehicle dinner go a fart can angled out the back....lol

my reason for bringing this up are that we have very SMALL amounts of resources for our car. and the avail options are kinda pricy arent they? this is just an idea for us to save our precious greenbacks. and trust me to buy the best exhaust system from a reputable source for $1000 + for small gains? geez id almost rather just do a single with a good muffler shop local for possibly less than a 1/4 the price.

just an idea let me know what you guys think about the ideas. crap add your own ideas.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:49 PM
proffesion...axle breaker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
-cl isnt a cl without dual, thats the best thing about our car.
-cat back with no res. is goin to be hella loud
-the inlet for the magnaflows is 2 1/4 anyway so might as well just run that, you wont see any gains with a bigger pipe
-axle back magna flows have a good sound to them, but will be loud with a straight pipe
Old 02-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
It will work, but it will work against you. The dual exhaust design is freeflowing for the dual change over our engines do. You may gain a little lower end grunt but will lose HP towards the top.

btw... I'm super jealous of your RSV Mille... is it Factory? bastard.....
Old 02-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Adventurist.

btw... the car sounds like total crap with no resonator or cat... I know, I have an e-cutout and when that thing opens up it sounds like a NASA space shuttle.....
Old 02-01-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm here in spirit...

I see you're a "searcher" too!

I think you have some good ideas but IMHO I think a single would look a little for a big tuna boat like the 2nd Gen CL. Personally, it's not worth the little gain you may get -or lack thereof- to reduce ourselves to material. Furthermore, even though a lot of members take their cars to the track, (and even I have considered it...) It's really not a race car so losing the weight isn't really all that beneficial.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:58 PM
i use the search button

Originally Posted by chriskh
I see you're a "searcher" too!

I think you have some good ideas but IMHO I think a single would look a little for a big tuna boat like the 2nd Gen CL. Personally, it's not worth the little gain you may get -or lack thereof- to reduce ourselves to material. Furthermore, even though a lot of members take their cars to the track, (and even I have considered it...) It's really not a race car so losing the weight isn't really all that beneficial.
i agree with you here, i do plan on tracking the car as weird as that may sound, i guess im just trying to make up for not having the supra anymore. and yes i deff agree it will look rice if converted to single. again just a open thought thread.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:05 PM
i use the search button

Originally Posted by NiteQwill
It will work, but it will work against you. The dual exhaust design is freeflowing for the dual change over our engines do. You may gain a little lower end grunt but will lose HP towards the top.

btw... I'm super jealous of your RSV Mille... is it Factory? bastard.....

its the mille r right before they started calling it the factory, i went in the garage and took this just for you!

Old 02-01-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm here in spirit...

^^ Nice bike.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:14 PM
i use the search button

^^ Nice bike.

thanks to bad its about to start collecting dust, my next one is coming soon! i cant wait
Old 02-01-2006, 05:16 PM
i use the search button

btw... the car sounds like total crap with no resonator or cat... I know, I have an e-cutout and when that thing opens up it sounds like a NASA space shuttle.....

do you have a sound clip it probably sounds brutal
Old 02-01-2006, 05:16 PM
Adventurist.

Originally Posted by bens cl
its the mille r right before they started calling it the factory, i went in the garage and took this just for you!

Damn man... you're a bastard TIMES 2 now.... argh

The Factory R is my fav. bike... I was looking at a new Speed Triple but with only 2K in production/yr... well, pockets aren't that deep...

But at least you stay in the V-twin family....

Here's my naked baby... sorry to thread hijack mods...

Old 02-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Adventurist.

do you have a sound clip it probably sounds brutal
I don't have a personal one, but here is one from Steve.... we have the same setup. Actually, his setup is mine... I bought it off him....

Right Click Save-As
http://www.flwse.com/images/steve/Co...utoutDrive.wmv
Old 02-01-2006, 05:20 PM
i use the search button

were all enthusiasts of some kind, your bike looks cool!!

can anyone photochop a rearend shot of a cl-s with single exhaust?

are there anymore pros or cons on this subject? after the debate on this i might do it just for the sake of doing it. and see what happens.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:23 PM
Adventurist.

are there anymore pros or cons on this subject? after the debate on this i might do it just for the sake of doing it. and see what happens.
I say go ahead and do it... I'm curious too. Hell, as most people know, I did a lot of 'firsts' on this car.... they have all worked out fine since today. Good luck
Old 02-01-2006, 05:23 PM
i use the search button

I don't have a personal one, but here is one from Steve.... we have the same setup. Actually, his setup is mine... I bought it off him....

Right Click Save-As
http://www.flwse.com/images/steve/Co...utoutDrive.wmv

did you actually feel more power with the wide open exhaust? it seemed like you did because the camera went flying into the seat sound wasnt as bad as i expected. im sure outside it was loud.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:25 PM
Adventurist.

did you actually feel more power with the wide open exhaust? it seemed like you did because the camera went flying into the seat sound wasnt as bad as i expected. im sure outside it was loud.
From a bottom end, no. From the top end, sorta. The video cannot replicate just how LOUD IT IS... I mean... at 5K+ RPM, you can barely hear yourself think or talk... that's just how loud it is... From the outside, it scares people driving next to you. One good way to give a soccer mom a hint to "scoot over."
Old 02-01-2006, 05:46 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Not that I would do that to my car but damn! It sounds wickedly evil, like a rally car or something.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:54 PM
i use the search button

Not that I would do that to my car but damn! It sounds wickedly evil, like a rally car or something.
see thats what im hinting towards, wickedly evil sound (when floored) basic driving will have a nice and muzzled but not to harsh sound. something happy medium.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

someone please PS this if possible, i would like to see this. i am actaully in the market for an exhuast and was thinking about this.

custom piping w/ 18" resonator to a mangaflow muffle.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
howabout making a true dual with custom long tubes to an X pipe similar to that of the stillen exhaust for the 350/G35
Old 02-01-2006, 08:29 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Originally Posted by typeR
howabout making a true dual with custom long tubes to an X pipe similar to that of the stillen exhaust for the 350/G35
i think it would sound amazing
Old 02-01-2006, 08:51 PM
i use the search button

Originally Posted by typeR

this idea does sound great!!
Old 02-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Zoom Zoom

I like my DC Sports exaust
Old 02-01-2006, 09:25 PM
says "hello to my TLX".

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
the exhaust doesn't sound overwhelming. i'm sure it would sound like too much in person though. in the first pull all you hear is Steve's ex-S/C whine.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
All these are good ideas, but they are for the wrong car. The CL-CLS-TL-TLS have great exhaust systems as is. Acura seemed to do their homework when it came to this.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:04 AM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
All these are good ideas, but they are for the wrong car. The CL-CLS-TL-TLS have great exhaust systems as is. Acura seemed to do their homework when it came to this.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:16 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
My last car had a loud exhaust on it and it was good sometimes, but most of the time it annoyed me. Nothing worse than going on an 8 hour road trip and hearing the exhuast drone the whole time.

Factory is good for me
Old 02-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
see thats what im hinting towards, wickedly evil sound (when floored) basic driving will have a nice and muzzled but not to harsh sound. something happy medium.

On my car I have removed the cat and resonator and replaced the B pipe with a 3" to the where it splits off to the mufflers. It took a little getting use to, but it does have a really throaty sound when at wide open throttle.

With you being in Cali, you may run into problems with inspection unless you have a custom Test pipe made and return the cat to the car upon the yearly inspection.

I'll try to post up a pic or two of my custom exhaust later, In the meantime, I'd take the resonator off and see if the sound is too raspy for you or not.

Nice bike and the one I want to see a pic of is the Ducati!
Old 02-02-2006, 11:38 AM
i use the search button

Originally Posted by ThinJim
On my car I have removed the cat and resonator and replaced the B pipe with a 3" to the where it splits off to the mufflers. It took a little getting use to, but it does have a really throaty sound when at wide open throttle.

With you being in Cali, you may run into problems with inspection unless you have a custom Test pipe made and return the cat to the car upon the yearly inspection.

I'll try to post up a pic or two of my custom exhaust later, In the meantime, I'd take the resonator off and see if the sound is too raspy for you or not.

Nice bike and the one I want to see a pic of is the Ducati!

while i was putting on my big brake kit last night i was looking at the undercarriage and decided to install a hi flow cat with o2 sim to keep the check eng lights off along with the headers. these 2 items should help me out in the power dept while keeping me legal. on top of that im going to use header wrap on the headers i have to install ,to slightly muffle the noises and keep heat down.
this in theory should workout well.

i will post a pic for you when the ducati comes in march
Old 02-02-2006, 11:44 AM
o1s
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
the header wrap might help, but the cat prob won't help enough for what it cost
Old 02-02-2006, 12:46 PM
i use the search button

Originally Posted by o1s
the header wrap might help, but the cat prob won't help enough for what it cost

i have the hi flow cat sitting here in my garage from my toyota supra, it corked my supra enough to keep it from making 90 more horsepower, with cat it made 620whp without cat it made 704+ depending on boost....i HAD to take it off.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:29 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Here's a dumb question.... WTF do you people insist on going from a turbo charged Supra to a CL?
Old 02-02-2006, 02:46 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Here's a dumb question.... WTF do you people insist on going from a turbo charged Supra to a CL?

good taste i guess
Old 02-02-2006, 02:58 PM
I'm here in spirit...

^^^ Ok, I guess I can respect that. I too appreciate speed AND luxury...
Old 02-02-2006, 03:00 PM
says "hello to my TLX".

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
why do you people insist on going from a turbo charged Supra to a CL?
that's just as bad or worse as going from RWD to FWD.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Pro

i dunno about you guys but i really like the sound of our stock exhaust. it's not too annoying but theres still a nice throaty tune to it. personally, i don't like the sound of the g35/350z exhausts...sounds a bit ricey to me. however i think i'd love the sound of the comptechs, seeing as how the only complaint i have of the stock exhaust is its a tiny bit too quiet. i think the comptechs would fix that
Old 02-02-2006, 03:03 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Originally Posted by Sun Diego CL-S
Old 02-02-2006, 04:05 PM
i use the search button

not a dumb question at all actually. i had the supra for quite a while it was the most fun yet UNGODLY SCARY car i have ever owned. it was fast very illegal, and by that i mean catless. my friend driving in front of me one time said he could smell me from behind him. (thats really bad). i honestly picked up the cl now 3 weeks ago because i loved the body style, it looks sexy IMO. i said i wasnt going to mod the car when i bought it, but that idea flew right out the window. i was used to so much horsepower and braking and handling i felt the cl lacked in the 3 depts only. so last night i put on my big brake kit/this afternoon i put on the front tein ss coilovers and i will finish up this sat.
to make a long story short i LOVE the look of the cl, crappy trans or not.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm here in spirit...

to make a long story short i LOVE the look of the cl, crappy trans or not.
I couldn't agree more. But I also love the power combind with the luxury and great drivability. I just wish it were RWD.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I think CT changed their mufflers to be a bit louder. My current ones seem to be louder then the old set I had. There's a low rumble at idle which wasn't there before with the old setup. They also seem like a deeper tone.

Quick Reply: Exhaust debate for you all !!