Everybody with nav

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 12:06 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Everybody with nav

This isn't another nav or no nav question. Although I am debating on getting it or not. But I want to know how good it really works. I mean would I be able to use it to find somebody's house or is it just certain places that are really big. And i'm assuming its more detailed in larger cities so I was wondering how good it works in your normal suburb city. Just wondering if it would be worth buying it if i can only use it in big cities or big places i go to.
Old 04-17-2002, 12:36 AM
Suzuka Master

best in the industry.

its a must. don't get it if u live in the boonies tho
Old 04-17-2002, 12:37 AM
Darth Tator

the nav is not perfect but i believe it is one of the better ones out there.

it works well in "normal suburb city"

it makes the interior look better and plus chicks dig it
Old 04-17-2002, 02:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get it. Like riceboy said, it isn't perfect, but when it works, it works very well.. It'll at LEAST usually set you in the right direction. Great for finding alternate routes when there is a big accident or something, since it'll automatically recalculate the route when you turn off course.

Plus it'll cost you a lot more to add one later if you decide on one, probably at least $3,000.

And most importantly, I agree, it looks cool and it impresses the ladies..
Old 04-17-2002, 03:06 AM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
My neighbor has an 2002 RL with Navi and his son has an accord with an aftermarket Alpine navi. He says he really wishes that he didn't get the navi as an option because it sucks compared to the alpine. It is a lot better at caculating the routes and has more resturants, etc... And his daughter has a cheap gps system that sits on the dash and that one is even better. You can download MONTHLY updates to keep the system up to date. It even has our street and houses and we live in the boonies. The only bad part about both aftermarket ones is that the coverage isn't for the whole country it is just for the northeast.

I also have a factory navi and must say that it defenitly isn't perfect and does a good job at getting me lost sometimes. It usually sends me the long way around adding another 15mins onto my trip, because it doesn't know any of the short cuts. But it does work, and the resturant and address look up is a nice feature to have. So I'm glad I got it and recommend getting some sort of navi unit.
Old 04-17-2002, 05:17 AM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally posted by craigyg69
...And most importantly, I agree, it looks cool and it impresses the ladies..
So very true!

Anyway... I love it. I've been in the area I'm in less than a year and the navi has saved my butt several times with detours around traffic in the northern VA region. Yesterday alone, I needed to find a post office near where I was (wasn't familiar with that area- I was there for a DR's appointment). Just searched for post offices, sorted by distance from travel and I had one .4 miles away in some plaza I had never heard of.
Then from there it took me home, avoiding 495 which is packed at that time of day.

It kicks ass, IMO. I use it constantly, and it's only failed once where it told me to 'turn right then u-turn if possible' when I could have very clearly and very legally made a left turn. So the lesson is, use common sense and don't trust a computer over your brain.
Old 04-17-2002, 07:43 AM
Instructor

I've got it and love it. It's great for getting around traffic jams. There have been times where the Navi has gotten "confused" but otherwise it's great. I cannot see buying another car without one.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Pil16,

What part of texas do you live in?

It works really well in the Austin, Houston, Dallas-Ft. Worth, and San Antonio metro areas.

I might be able to be more specific...
Old 04-17-2002, 08:20 AM
Banned

I'll agree it's nice to have. However, just realize that 95% of the time it just sits there acting like a big clock display (at least for me). Due to the nature of the way the navi starts up you have to literally turn it on, or it goes to sleep on its own. I don't use the navi unless I'm going somewhere new, unknown, or a passenger is fasinated with it.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:33 AM
"v1 saved my ass ......."

Hey it might be a big clock also but the times that it has saved me are impossible to overlook. Just yesterday I needed to find a restaurant. Now, I already knew the address so I just typed it in to find the best route and it told me a way that actually saved me time over going through the toll road. Thanks navi!

AdamR
Originally posted by bone_stock
I'll agree it's nice to have. However, just realize that 95% of the time it just sits there acting like a big clock display (at least for me). Due to the nature of the way the navi starts up you have to literally turn it on, or it goes to sleep on its own. I don't use the navi unless I'm going somewhere new, unknown, or a passenger is fasinated with it.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:34 AM
"v1 saved my ass ......."

Also, there is one thing that nobody has mentioned

playing ps2/dvds/tv or whatever on the navi for less than $150!!!

AdamR
Old 04-17-2002, 09:47 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
its a must. don't get it if u live in the boonies tho
Not necessarily true.
I had the NAV in my 2001 and got it again on my 2003.
Hardly ANY of the roads by my house are in the database, but I don’t care because I already know them all.
I use the system for when I’m in areas that I DON’T live in or know.

In my 2001 I drove all the way down to Florida last year and the system worked great.
I found motels & restaurants along the way and all the Orlando area attractions once I got there.
I also took a trip up to Canada and it got me all the way through northern PA, NY and up to the Canadian border.
I go out to Jersey quite often and all of the Highways & Interstates are well mapped.

If the area is well mapped it will take you literary right to the front door.
I have done this on several occasions.

Another thing I find handy.
Even if the road you are on isn’t in the system there is always a road close by that you can see if you ZOOM the display out a bit.
If you’re lost in an unmapped area, you can use this as a target and drive along until you find a road that goes in that direction.

Even if I know where I am going on a long trip, I still plug my destination area into the system so I can track the miles and estimated time of arrival.

Shawn S
Old 04-17-2002, 10:01 AM
Drifting

I kind of wish i would have gotten navi. It spices up the interior but i figured i would never use it and i was right. It woulda been there just for show purposes really. It is really nice though. Oh well, i saved 2 g's I will most likely get it on my next car
Old 04-17-2002, 10:07 AM
2002 CLs w/Navi

what is the lastest Navi version? where can I get the CD?
Old 04-17-2002, 10:58 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Smitty02CLs
The latest version of the DVD is 2.05

You can buy it for 150-bucks from Acura.com

If you’re not in a hurry, I would wait a bit.
There should be a new version out in September.

Shawn S
Old 04-17-2002, 11:36 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Smitty02CLs
Just in case that wasn't a mis-statement the system is DVD based, not CD based.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:49 AM
Casual Observer

Let's put it this way.
I no longer ask people for directions.
I just ask for an address.

"I just go where the little voice tells me to go"
Old 04-17-2002, 11:55 AM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS
best in the industry.

That may have been true in two years ago, but not anymore.

Have you checked out competitors Navi systems lately?

BMW and MB still suck and are not DVD based, but take a good look at Lexus and Infiniti systems. Plus, these systems are also found in cheaper Toyota and Nissan cars and trucks.
Old 04-17-2002, 03:13 PM
dynamic Duo!

yeah, its def. worth the 2000 bucks...
don't forget that Acura/Honda's nav systems based on Pioneer/Alpine technology is award winning, beating out even lexus... (nav systems in german cars suck btw... they're only on CD too!)

yeah, the nav saved my butt a lot of times. the one time i remember it saving my ass big was when i was lost in East Compton, CA at 2am!!!!!!!!! (i was lost in LA and ended up there somehow)...

and yes, its a big stunner for the ladies... most girls couldn't differentiate my car from a normal civic or accord (<-- trust me, they don't know SHIT about cars), but once they saw the interior, the "Wow's" and "Cool's" came out.

get it, you won't regret it. And for an extra $140, you can get video inputs with the avc-rgb1!! :0)
Old 04-17-2002, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

For Tom2:

Released on November 2001 from J.D. Powers - "The navigation system equipped on the Lexus GS Sedan, supplied by Denso, ranks highest in overall customer satisfaction, followed in a tie by the Alpine system supplied on the Acura RL (top ranked in 2000) and Denso’s Lexus LX 470 navigation system." I'm assuming RL and CL have the same system?

For Marc S:

It is easy to say "I would never use it" when you don't have it to use!

Lucan
Old 04-17-2002, 04:19 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

What is the link for the NAV upgrade?
Old 04-17-2002, 05:54 PM
Racer

Well worth the 2K.

A must have!

And yes, passangers always say WOOOOOOW.

Ladies dig it!

Just moving the joystick around to different areas on the map keeps my daughter busy!

Now imagine when I hook up the DVD player and PS-2!
Old 04-17-2002, 06:00 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
It gives the care interior that extra touch that makes people go WOW!! It has also saved me several times by dodging traffic in areas that I was unfamiliar with. The NAV is a must!!! If you are gonna spend all that money on a CL-S why go cheap for only 2k more???
Old 04-17-2002, 06:49 PM
Pro

I would highly recommend it. I got it as a toy. It has saved/helped me many times. I have an awful sense of direction. It does a lot. If you get, you must read the book to figure everything out. I love mine, and so do thie chicks. What's another 2 grand when you are already at 31? GET IT!!! You will not regret it.
Old 04-17-2002, 07:23 PM
D73
Curiosity Killed The CL-S

I've used both the navs that come with the BMW M5 and Acura CL. I have to say that the CL wins. No comment on Infiniti/Lexus since I've never had the chance to play with them.

However, superiority aside, it's still a very useful tool. It is fairly fast for route-finding, has a decent voice (I turn mine off cos it gets annoying and it interferes with the CD), has that feature to find restaurants, ATMs, gas stations etc, and like so many other posts, it's a chick magnet.

On the flip side, it doesn't get updated much. Do I have to go get an update DVD from the dealer or something? And it is really hard to get the thing to avoid certain routes. For example, if you need to say avoid this certain stretch of highway, you can't. Or at least I can't figure how.

Overall, if you can spend the $2k, go for it!
Old 04-17-2002, 09:25 PM
Burning Brakes

If you really like having oem equipment, then get the stock navi.
Note its a touch-screen and having finger prints on the screen ticks some people off

If you don't mind aftermarket, you can get a better (3d view, on-demand traffic & weather reports), upgradable (you can ebay the unit and buy a new model), system added to the car.
With the remote control you can have any of your passengers play with it.
If you install yourself (pop-out screen in dash, navi in trunk) for $2k, and around $3k to have it all done nice for you.
You can then hook up dvd & playstation without voiding any warranties. And you won't have that silly on-star antennea on the roof.