Es300

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 10:41 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Es300

arite, im not here to bash the cl or anything cuz a friend of mine has one and its cool, whatever, and i know this post isnt about the cl but.....i just wanted to know what ppl honestly think about the lex es3....i dont care if you bash it or whatever cuz its my first car and i love it....i wanna know what you think of it besides just sayin its a camry with more luxury and costs more cuz i could just say yours is an accord with more luxury and costs more, we could go back and forth on that all day....so ok, whaddya honestly think of it? thanks....
Old 07-24-2002, 10:43 PM
9th Gear

oh yea, my bad....forgot to say its a 98 (3.0L v6 200hp), not much but i still like it
Old 07-24-2002, 10:47 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my grandma drives an es300
Old 07-24-2002, 10:48 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Just another 4 door sedan.....................
Old 07-24-2002, 10:49 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

great car, espescially in black with a nice zaino shine, and i like the ride in it alot, nice and smooth. the 98's are the best body style for it.

its youre first car? what are you some kinda prep punkass? did you thank your mommy?
Old 07-24-2002, 10:51 PM
Duck Fuke!

no love in this bizitch
Old 07-24-2002, 10:57 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my dad has a 2000 es 300 platinum edition, its nice, not sporty enuff for me though, bad ass xenons and a smooth ride though

btw: do not race n e thing, 90% of the cars on the road will beat you, the es is soooooooooo fuckin slow
Old 07-24-2002, 10:57 PM
Instructor

It's Lexus' version of a Cadillac or Lincoln Town Car. Good style and luxury, but just not focused on performance. I don't think the ES300 would attract the "type-S" buyer....maybe the TL premium buyer. But even then.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:03 PM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

I dont think many guys, like me, really care for the ES... the IS is more in line with the CLs anyway. But hey no matter how much they bash ur car or any lexus, u can always feel better knowing U guys have better overall built cars then our acuras. As a CLS owner i hate to sound like a traitor to this board but its the truth guys! Heck i'd put my cL on the camry assemply line if i could.

But performance wise... u shouldnt even bother asking ChaOs
Old 07-24-2002, 11:21 PM
9th Gear

yea i like the car, its pretty smooth relatively and its real quiet, which is also good unless im attempting to rev and my car sounds like a freaking lawn mower ....when i do race, tho, i make sure its against a slow car like a stock cougar or against some guy who doesnt know how to shift or somethin like that......yea the cars held up pretty good up till now cuz now its got some problem with the charcoal canister or somethin and i mean, it isnt too old, whatever

(Itallion Stallion - yea i am pretty preppie, ive gone to a prep school for 10 yrs)

keep comin with the opinions, just tryin to get a bigger idea of what ya think, thanks..
Old 07-24-2002, 11:25 PM
Duck Fuke!

Originally posted by ES3_Chaos

(Itallion Stallion - yea i am pretty preppie, ive gone to a prep school for 10 yrs)

keep comin with the opinions, just tryin to get a bigger idea of what ya think, thanks..

:whocares: :ghey: :ghey: :ghey:
Old 07-24-2002, 11:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

not sporty enough for my taste
Old 07-24-2002, 11:32 PM
East Coast Boost.!

I like the body style better than the new model, but tht sht is slow and i would much rather get a TL. The Value is better.
Old 07-24-2002, 11:38 PM
Subie Dubie

I give you credit for looking for feedback. I don't care for the styling, too laid back and it needs more power, but it is a good car especially for a young guy.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:52 AM
Pro

I am jus wondering how come $38K Lexus shares the same exhaust an engine with Camry for over 10 years? We have different engines and exhaust than Accords.

PS(actually I wanted to ask Toyota's Tech), everytime when I see a Camry/ES300, the exhaust from Resonator -> Muffler is installed a way too low under the rear suspension. Will the pipe got hit when you go over the bumps or dips? Just curious.
Old 07-25-2002, 01:06 AM
*Hella* isn't a word.

I liek the ES300. The 98 model was before refinements that I loved in the last model (2001?) and especially the Platinum edition. For a bit more money and when u buy a lexus, u'd better be more concerned with Luxury and looks rather than sport. For those of us that want sport, get a TLS. I don't care if it's really a dressed up camry. Lexus has done a very good job on the outside and the inside in making it look great. a MUCH better job than I think Honda has doen dressing up the accord platform for the Acura monkier. I went car shopping with my friend before he decided to get the ES300 over the TLS. Yeah, his main priority was not sprot and more luxury. Not everyone needs their car to pick races and go fast. For him and others, this is the perfect car. I myself wouldn't get it since I'm actually looking for sport, but it's still a sweet car.
Old 07-25-2002, 01:06 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
yea i like the car, its pretty smooth relatively and its real quiet, which is also good unless im attempting to rev and my car sounds like a freaking lawn mower ....when i do race, tho, i make sure its against a slow car like a stock cougar or against some guy who doesnt know how to shift or somethin like that......yea the cars held up pretty good up till now cuz now its got some problem with the charcoal canister or somethin and i mean, it isnt too old, whatever

i have an avalon... so i know exactly how ur car feels =)
it is just TOO smooth and quiet ....
Old 07-25-2002, 07:44 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
If I needed a 4-door and was looking used, I'd definitely look at an ES300 (not the new body style).

The cars are well made, put together great, and ooze luxury.

All these kids here want to go Mach 3 with their hair on fire

I'm 31 BTW =)
Old 07-25-2002, 08:36 AM
Masshole

Why do you care what we think about your car? Shouldn't it be what you think that's important?

So what do I think of the ES300? It's a pretty average car for the price. Pretty slow also... what does it do, like a 8.5s 0-60 or so? You'll have v6 accords and camry's smoking you left and right.

Overall the car is bland, uninspiring, and would probably be something my grandma would buy if she could still drive on a regular basis. It's a pure luxury car - Lexus' bread and butter for those looking for a reliable, comfy ride that'll get them from point A to point B.

Would I buy one for myself? No, probably not. But like I said, you shouldn't care what we think about YOUR car. It either works for you or it doesn't. Don't buy something because other people say it's cool. Buy it because you think it is.

Old 07-25-2002, 11:06 AM
Advanced

My mom has a 1992 Lexus ES300. It's not fast but it could be a worse. Back then I drove an Infiniti J30 - too small, esp. the trunk and even slower. Mazda 929 - too big outside, too small inside, at least perceived. Acura Legend - a bit quicker, surprisingly noisy, esp. tire roar...seemed no quieter than a rental V6 Taurus we had. Nothing from the Americans at the time. Mercedes had only a C220 4-cylinder for under $30k. Audi 80/90, too small. BMW 325 was too overpriced and too noisy in around-town driving. 10 years later the thing drives smooth as heck. I keep discovering clever design touches. It's tight also.

For those who want among the safest, most cushy, most reliable, and most serene ride for the money and time of purchase, the new Lexus ES300 is hard to top. For excitement, you can just forget about it, unless you crank up the Mark Levinson stereo playing your favorite tunes.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:25 AM
Banned

i think the ES300 is a nice, safe, well built 4 door sedan...having said that, i also think its way underpowered and the new body style could use some work...the older one, like yours, is better looking in my opinion, the new interior is nicer though. the only lexus id want to own is the GS430...i love those, i personally think the IS is kinda ricey and small and 215 hp is way to low for a car thats supposed to be performance...if toyota/lexus actually got some balls and made an IS430....THEN id reconsider
Old 07-25-2002, 01:47 PM
O.G.

The interior is nice but that's about it.:P
Old 07-25-2002, 08:15 PM
9th Gear

Originally posted by EdgarFanCLS
Why do you care what we think about your car? Shouldn't it be what you think that's important?

Pretty slow also... what does it do, like a 8.5s 0-60 or so? You'll have v6 accords and camry's smoking you left and right.

it actually goes in like upper 7s, not too different but still.....i actually raced a v6 camry for like 4 straight lights and i kicked its ass each time....and ive raced an accord b4 and i beat it.....also, about the tailpipe hittin the speed bump - it doesnt and ive gone over some HUGE speed bumps.....and im not buyin the car off your opinions, i already have it and like it, i just was curious of what you think
Old 07-25-2002, 08:25 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The ES 300 is a waste of good sheet metal!:ghey: I would hate to spend that kind of coin on a car and get raped by a every ricer in town. If you must get a lexus... get a a used GS400 or a IS300 instead.
Old 07-25-2002, 08:28 PM
Duck Fuke!

it actually goes in like upper 7s, not too different but still.....i actually raced a v6 camry for like 4 straight lights and i kicked its ass each time....and ive raced an accord b4 and i beat it.....also, about the tailpipe hittin the speed bump - it doesnt and ive gone over some HUGE speed bumps.....and im not buyin the car off your opinions, i already have it and like it, i just was curious of what you think

howd you kick its ass each time................its the same damn thing:P ..............................i dont think its upper 7s ...................WHY ARE YOU HERE
Old 07-25-2002, 08:33 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I like the 98 model. Don't know much about it outside of what I see on the road though.

The new design is pure shit IMHO.
Old 07-25-2002, 08:53 PM
AHFC SLAVE

i dont care if you bash it or whatever cuz its my first car and i love it....i wanna know what you think of it
-mane, you shouldn't even give a fuck what people think of your car

-your 1st car is a Lexus??...you should be happy as fuck and quit acting like a spoiled lil bitch (no offense)

-an ES300 is not a sports car, so you shouldn't be comparing it to a CL etc...

-you should be thankful you got a nice ride that get ya ass from A > B and stop your whinin'

-and thank your parents for spoiling your monkey ass u lil summumubitch

-have a nice day!!!
Old 07-25-2002, 08:54 PM
Instructor

The ES300 was my last car before buying this CL-S. I loved it, especially for the smooth, quiet ride. Always felt like I was driving in luxury and I think the audio system was better than the CL-S. It is also built like a tank. I once drove over a 4" high cement block at 30mph and never needed a wheel alignment afterwards!

The difference between the two cars is the ES300 doesn't have a sporty quality, like the CL-S. The ES is all luxury and the CL-S gives a nice luxury-sporty balance.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:02 PM
I Feel Too Old Here

hey guys i dont think he was asking your approval or saying he wishes he had a CL or comparing the two in anyway shape or form. he was just lookin for opinions from people that dont drive the same model or brand car.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:07 PM
Masshole

Upper 7s? Edmunds.com seems to disagree with you there:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/1998/lex...tml?id=lin0066

They claim an 8.7s 0-60 time.

So how about a V6 Toyota Camry from the same model year:
http://www.edmunds.com/used/1998/toy...tml?id=lin0066

Looky here, 7.9s 0-60. Maybe that V6 Camry didn't know how to drive his car. Especially if you "kicked his ass". That, or only one person was really racing there.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:44 PM

Coming from ES 300 manual (1992) just having a 2002 ES 300 loaner, the car has come a long way. This is the best selling entry level-luxury car after all. The ES is not about value, it is about having a mini-LS 400/noe 430. Yes the car is slow but until RECENTLY it was at the front or near the front of the pack.

The TL-S shares way more parts than the ES 300. The muffler always did seem low to me, but I have only hit one serious item in 6 years of ownwership and it did not break.

I bought the car when I was 18 (so maybe the kid is not a spoiled bitch), trust me, it is built like a tank. I drove it like it was a Corvette and it took a licking, at 196,000 it is still ticking.

Yeah, I got the Camry jokes, they got the "go fuck your mother jokes"......

Overall, the ES 300 moved further and further away from sport cause a lot of people ain't trying to beat the next person to the light. Lexus realized this and has the new ES 300.

I am really laughing about the bland and uninspiring looks comments, and well the CL(s) looks even more bland and uninispiring to me, and it's a 2 door.

I think the TL-S gives many buyers a lil of both and that is why it sells so well.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:44 PM
Racer

I used to own a 94' ES. Quiet ride, smooth and good sturdy car. Also has good resale value too. Hope you have a warrenty on the car though, they are relible but if something breaks or goes wrong, your will have to take out a loan just to pay for maintenance repairs.
Old 07-25-2002, 11:54 PM

but if something breaks or goes wrong, your will have to take out a loan
I learned this at a young age. Means, you got to maintain your car and have money to fix it, not sitting on bricks....This applies to all luxury cars.
Old 07-26-2002, 01:55 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice car, definitely leans more towards the comfort vs. sport side. Seriously considered it back in '99 when Acura dealers weren't budging off of sticker on the TL and there was a 3 month wait.

Ended up waiting and bought the '01 TL.

It's a nice car, makes a statement (it's a Lexus), and it'll run forever.

Don't listen to those who say it's a dressed up Camry, 'cause you could almost say that the TL/CL is a dressed up Accord. Except TLs get a different engine (3.2L 225hp - TL, 260hp - TLS) than the Accord (3.0L 200hp?).

ES300 and Camry have the same engine.

Congrats and enjoy!
Old 07-26-2002, 02:41 AM
Race Director

since its your first car, its pimp...im guessing your 16-18 years old...id trade it in tho, and get a dark green infiniti j30t 1992-96?

congrats.

its still a lexus, and its still luxurious.

personal opinions about the CAR ITSELF..

slow, bland, interior is too played out the style, has no pizzaz, nothing special on the car at all, its as basic as a luxury car can be...but none the less, its still a luxury car, its still a lexus.

i would never spend money to buy one, but that comes down to opinion...
Old 07-26-2002, 02:58 AM
I love my G sedan

It has wierd headlights, boring body proportions, and not exciting enough mechanical components. Toyota Camry, especially SE, looks a lot better than ES300, and the last generation ES300 also looks better than the current one, but it's just my opinion.