Ebony or Parchment?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2001 | 01:10 PM
Intermediate

Ebony or Parchment?

Greeting from the land of enchantment.

I'm wet behind the ears on this board and have followed it for a few months. I've noticed alot of repeat questions but this is one I've yet to see.

What color interior is going to wear the best and look the best over the long haul? I realize you must care for the leather properly but I've seen both Blk and tan leather interiors looking pretty bad in other cars.

I've never owned a car with leather and would like to be educated by all you lucky CL owners.

!Hasta la vista!

------------------
C'mon summertime, my divorce bills will be paid and I'll be ready for that white Type S!
Old 01-17-2001 | 01:15 PM
Pro

black, looks luxurious AND sporty. also, it is easier to stain a lighter color leather and ruin it, like parchment.
Old 01-17-2001 | 01:22 PM

From my experience, black interior shows dust easier, where as parchment shows dirt very easily.
Old 01-17-2001 | 01:26 PM
ACME sucks!

I have the black leather and love it. No problems with cracking or keeping it clean.

My dad's TL has to tan leather and it's filthy! He tries to keep it clean, but the marks just keep appearing. It certaily looks nice when clean but that's rare.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi

Wheel Locks/35% Tint/Splash Guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N 33-2178 filter/Mobil 1 5W-30 oil & filter
Old 01-17-2001 | 01:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

I chose the ebony because of the fact that it is much easier to keep clean and I like the way it looks. Can't say the same for the floor of the interior however!! Every little footprint shows up. But at least it's really easy to clean and goes right back to looking brand new. Since I may have this car for a long time, even if I religiously cleaned the parchment, it would have eventually dulled and got stained to the point where it won't return to looking like new.

The only advice I can give to you for keeping your leather looking good, is to keep the leather conditioner on it. Since your from Albuquerque, you'll need to do this pretty often in the summer since it's pretty dry there too. In the winter, you'll notice it doesn't dry out so easily. Here in Tucson, I have to put conditioner on it every couple weeks during our 105 degree, 5% humidity summers.

[This message has been edited by GoldTypeS (edited 01-17-2001).]
Old 01-17-2001 | 01:32 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the feedback! I guess I'm getting sold on the ebony interior. The only problems is I'm not too fond of the bowling ball trim. Don't get me wrong I don't hate it just think the Brn wood trim is more aesthetic.

Any comments from Parchment CL owners?

G

------------------
C'mon summertime, my divorce bills will be paid and I'll be ready for that white Type S!
Old 01-17-2001 | 04:15 PM
Adult Supervision

Parchment is the only way to go! Ebony owners are all jerks! (Just kidding - to each his own)

I got the parchment because: a)the dust problem on the ebony is a problem in my view and b) the bowling ball plastic trim is not as nice and "luxurious" as the cheesy fake wood trim. I think the interior looks better frankly. As far as keeping it clean, that might be harder but I will be spending enough time keeping the black exterior clean so keeping the seats clean might not be that much of a challenge.

I'd love to talk more but I'm off to clean my seats....

------------------
MikeS 18 - '01 CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment with Nav, Spoiler, door guards, wood trim kit, fender guards, PIAA 19169 & Platinum 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk tray, winter mats, Salt Coat Finish by Mass DOT, only 2 scratched rims
Old 01-17-2001 | 06:19 PM
Cruisin'

well have you guys ever sat in a car with black leather interior during the summer? might be another reason to consider parchment. but hey, i haven't decided which to get either. just throwing this in for a little discussion.

------------------
Its all fun and games til someone loses an eye. Then its just fun.
Old 01-17-2001 | 06:35 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EATENG:
well have you guys ever sat in a car with black leather interior during the summer? might be another reason to consider parchment. but hey, i haven't decided which to get either. just throwing this in for a little discussion.

</font>
tints will maybe cut down on the heat from the radiating sun. or use a sunshade even though it can be a bother, but i guess it's better than having butt burn from the hot leather... i guess i'll see how bad it is when summer finally comes around.

------------------
'01 CL Type-S w/ Navigation
Satin Silver/Black Ebony
Old 01-17-2001 | 06:36 PM
ACME sucks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EATENG:

</font>

I bought my car last July during the Texas heatwave. With my windows tinted, the black interior was not that bad. Now, if my CL-S had a black paint job, that would be a different story!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
No Navi

Wheel locks/35% tint/Splash guards/PIAA 19169 bulbs/K&N 33-2178 air filter/Mobil 1 5W-30 oil & filter
Old 01-17-2001 | 06:54 PM
Racer

i have a black/parch cl-s and am very happy with the parchment interior. i was afraid that in the texas summer a black/black car would be WAY too hot! also, i thought the black bowling ball trim looked really cheap and the dust factor also came into play. yes, the parch interior stains more easily and shows them more, but i've really only noticed that on the floor area on my drivers side where your feet swing when you get in/out. the bottom corner of my seat has a few black scuffs on it, as does the bottom inside of my door. they are a real pain to get out, too!! also, get the all-weather mats for use during the fall/winter to keep the parch mats looking good!

------------------
Black/Parch '01 CL-S no-navi, Spoiler, Visor (currently removed for winter), 35% tint, locks, PIAA19170
Old 01-17-2001 | 07:59 PM
DM
10th Gear

It is a tossup depending on what you want. I have the Silver 3.2CL with Blk interior (sorry, no type S here). I really loved the silver color, but was not real fond of the blk leather. My mom has a 99' TL with the tan leather, so I know both sides.

The tan is easier to keep clean, but if you are a neat freak about your car like me, it's not an issue. My car is never dirty, although dust is very apparent with the black. I found that those new "swifter" things that use static to pick up dust, etc., work very well on the interior of my car.(A trick the ladies showed me that works well) I keep a pack in the trunk.

The tan leather, when dirty, looks much worse that the Black. I purchased a pair of the all weather floor mats for my car, and I recommend if you are going to be around dirt you do the same. They work wonderfully.

With regards to heat, when it is hot outside the tan leather still get pretty darn hot. I figure hot is hot, and although the black is hotter, I still put a towel on the seat when I ride in my mom's TL, so again it is not really an issue.

I say if you are not a neat freak, but the white CL with the tan interior, it will stay the cleanest over time. If you are a neat freak(And only in reference to the car, I don't clean shit around the house) buy the one you like the best. I admit, the silver exterior did me in, I didn't really care about the interior, and I prefer the tan. But, the black looks very luxurious, much more so than the tan, and so far I am very satisfied with the black.
Old 01-17-2001 | 08:07 PM
DM
10th Gear

Oh, one more thing. If you are not in the market for the S-type, the premiums all come with brown wood trim. Mine has black leather with brown wood, and sorry guys, but that black wood looks like crap compared to the brown wood.
Old 01-17-2001 | 08:17 PM
w.t.f., mate?

The black interior isn't that hot...err...I mean it doesn't get that hot in the summer or anything. Just get some tint. Besides, if it's preforated, then it won't be as hot. But tan does look very nice though...I just think that black would look better in silver metallic and black. But personally, I think that the tan looks good in a white car.

~YES!! NO LONGER A NEWBIE!~

------------------
~Phil~!
2K1 CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia! Quantum tint, hyper-white road lamps, and I just got a spoiler on baby!! Uniden LRD 6599SWS Radar Detector. Beautiful shine provided by Meguiar's Gold Wax. Shuttup, I know it's not Zaino

Former post count : Over 470
Old 01-17-2001 | 08:34 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

OK, all interior owners in other than ebony are really jerks... J/K. Do you know how many bowling balls got sacrificed for this interior? I actually think the interior would look better if it were just dark leather or brushed aluminum.

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 01-17-2001 | 08:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Liquid Crystal interior -- changes shade to suit. Dark for cold days, light for warm. Availability: 2012?
Old 01-17-2001 | 09:37 PM
Adult Supervision

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EricL:
Liquid Crystal interior -- changes shade to suit. Dark for cold days, light for warm. Availability: 2012?</font>
That's dumb! Now a "mood ring" interior would be cool...oops, I'm showing my age.

------------------
MikeS 18 - '01 CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment with Nav, Spoiler, door guards, wood trim kit, fender guards, PIAA 19169 & Platinum 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk tray, winter mats, Salt Coat Finish by Mass DOT, only 2 scratched rims
Old 01-17-2001 | 09:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Get the black because you get the cool black look a like wood trim. all my frineds think itz the coolest thing. this i one reason why I got black. eventhou i got numerios ass burns from my old maxima. but u gotta remember we have little holes in our seat's so they don't get that hot.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers soon now that I have a JOB again. hehe

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load.
Old 01-17-2001 | 09:44 PM
Pro

That and I saw it here one time black with the brushed aluminum dash. DAMN that looks sweet gives it a race feel too. But I got black with silver you don't have much of a choice.
Old 01-17-2001 | 10:25 PM
Rx Master

I got ebony, because it was standard on the silver CL-S. I wanted it becasue i love the way black leather looks. I Had black in my 89 maxma then i went to beige cloth. I love the black more.
WG

------------------
The SILVER STREAKER CL-S no navi, spoiler, tint all around, moonroof visor,
indaglo emblom, ACURA.CL.com stickers, eurolights fog lights, bel 950 radar detector, and 2 chamber flowmaster exaust
coilovers or springs to come soon 501+ posts makes me a freak on the old Cl page.

Old 01-17-2001 | 11:35 PM
Team Owner

I went with the Parchment mainly because of the “wood” color.
No melted black bowling balls for me please.
Plus, Ebony is hotter in the sun even with tinted windows.

I keep it clean with ZAINO treatment and conditioner products.
I also have the tinted windows to reduce fading.

It’s mainly a personal choice like the body color.
It’s up to you what you like.

Shawn S

------------------
&gt;&gt;&gt; 400+ posts on h/a.net &lt;&lt;&lt; &gt;&gt;&gt; 550+ posts “freak” on the “old” acura-cl.com &lt;&lt;&lt;

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 01-17-2001 | 11:55 PM
Instructor

I bought my cl-s in August, temps averaged around 80-90. With all the cars backing in the heat on a black-topped lot I sat in both black and tan. I found no difference in interior heat, no difference in seat heat, no difference in stickyness.

I always thought the trim looked like black marble, I have never seen a bowling ball that looked like that. But if you really don't like it, the dealer can swap it out.

------------------
Silver CL type S, upgraded cupholder, PIAA-19169, 3 coats Zaino and a pinch of salt
Old 01-18-2001 | 01:24 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shawn S:
I went with the Parchment mainly because of the “wood” color.
No melted black bowling balls for me please.
Plus, Ebony is hotter in the sun even with tinted windows.

Shawn S

</font>
Not "melted" bowling balls.... "shaved" bowling balls!

------------------
01 CL-S NightHawk Black/Ebony Bowling Ball Interior
Old 01-18-2001 | 01:29 AM
Racer

I was all set to get my CL-S with Ebony interior. Then when I test drove a Red CL-S with Parchment interior I just loved the way it looked. In my opinion it looks more luxurious and the real "fake" wood look just looks a lot better than the black wood look, IMO. So, I got the Parchment interior. At the time it didn't occur to me that I really won't have a dust problem now with the lighter interior. Something I used to hate because all my previous cars had dark interiors. Of course the seats and carpet need to have special care for stains and dirt but I don't think it will be that big of a deal.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red / Parchment
non-nav - wheel locks - splash guards