E-Town Results (OBX Headers - Suprise!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2002, 10:39 AM
im back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Juniorbean did pretty good too he got an 9.8. It was the track, it was too cold to get sticky at all. I baked my tires and still hopped, but its all good, we had fun and definitely gotta do that again in the spring.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:47 AM
Banned

Re: E-Town Results (OBX Headers - Suprise!)

They will still doubt the headers. Like I have always said, to big doesn't mean better. The Comptech might be too free flowing causing a loss in low end. The OBX gives gains on both because its not as big. Could be a very good possibility.

Originally posted by cusdaddy
WARNING... LONG POST

Just got back from the Acura Wars at E-Town Raceway this morning/afternoon. I had a great time, and it was really great to meet many of you from the board (JuniorBean, Zapata, Shawn, Lou, RobG, etc.) It was only the 1/8 mile due to winds, but fun nonetheless

After my results hopefully some of you will give OBX headers some respect. (I told the guys that I HAD to post my results on the board)

Started off (first time I ever went to the track) and just floored it in D5. Smoked my tires the ENTIRE 1/8 Mile. Probably lost about 5k miles of threads. The announcer actually went on the MIC - WOOOOAH!! Front Wheel Drive! - Ended up with an 11.5

Second run against a black NSX. He DESTROYED me off the line, but once I caught traction, I started pulling on him a little. He got a 9.0 and I got a 9.9 or so. He pulled over after and said he got REALLY scared at how I started closing in. He said he really respects our cars. (really cool guy too)

Finally got to the elimination competition. BTW, I have an auto, OBX Headers, stock rims and the crappy stock Michelin tires, (with 25k miles on them) and a Weapon-R short ram intake.

To make it short, I started with a 9.50 and got to the final 3. Beat a supercharged 3.0 CL and last round went against a girl in a blue RSX-S (she ended up winning the competition). I was the only CL left at this point. I got a 9.31, she got a 9.89 but I lost due to the fact that I was significantly faster than my 9.5 Dial.

Overall, I am VERY impressed running a 9.3 with an auto with only Headers, short ram and stock tires/rims. I THINK I ended up 3rd fastest of all the Acura's... NSX had a 8.9, I am RobG had a 9.0 (great runs), and I had a 9.3. I am guessing this is approx a 14.4 in the 1/4. Most of the 6 speeds were running ~9.6

So... In conclusion, OBX headers definitely bring significant gains (or my CL is on steroids or something)....

BTW... A 6 speed 02 Maxima (with intake)could not pull below a 9.7
Old 11-24-2002, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
Ah... I guess... some one is still doubting my dyno... there is a new fresh dyno for the OBX headers... Mantis

Stock CLS on the same dyno same day was at 185 WHP!
That is a seriously LOWWWWWWW dyno #'s. I can't believe that a stock one dynos that low. hmmm.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:57 AM
Suzuka Master

It's very strange. My stock Michelins actally did VERY good yesterday. I had a 2.21 60' in one of my runs. I lowered the pressure to 28lbs which seemed to make a nice difference.

Xeon7 - you had some GREAT runs. I am amazed at your 9.4 with an almost stock car. The run right after you left was when I pulled the 9.31 - It would have been a GREAT match up

I agree. Track conditions were terrible - Still had a great time though
Old 11-24-2002, 11:01 AM
'Cooter

i got 7 runs in...and for reduced cost of $20, u can't beat it

Temp: 42/43
Humidity: 59-63

Run 1:
R/T...0.62
60'...2.59
330...n/a
1/8...10.362
MPH...72.94

Run 2:
R/T...0.715
60'...2.517
1/8...10.028
MPH...73.76

Run 3:
R/T...0.591
60'...2.516
1/8...10.018
MPH...74.23

Run 4: Lost to none other than Juniorbean :P
R/T...0.926
60'...2.327
1/8...9.819
MPH...74.42

Run 5: They were nice enough to let us race some more after eliminations
R/T...0.507 (best R/T to date, beating my .509 last season)
60'...2.528
1/8...10.147
MPH...74.36

Run 6:
R/T...0.607
60'...2.406
1/8...9.998
MPH...72.79

Run 7:
R/T...0.493
60'...2.304
1/8...9.821
MPH...73.84

as Zapata said, the track was hella slick, and the Pilot Sport A/S's ren't the best for a slick track, which explains y the tires r a 400 classified tire (much harder compound, not nearly as much flexibility)...in the summer when the track's sticky as hell is where the tires would perform well...keep in mind this is the last weekend of racing...it's a miracle we can get ANY grip

when they reopen in March, im gonna try and go to see if my times improve...plus, i'm definitely gonna get someone to drive my car a run or 2 just to make sure i'm not screwing things up
Old 11-24-2002, 11:14 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silverbullet,
My etown peeps must be laughing because we said as soon as Cusdaddy posts you're gonna have all the OBX people jumping up and down saying OBX rules etc.,

That's a load of crap to say the OBX have pulled better numbers than the Comptechs. Until you or anybody else can show me more than ONE questionable dyno, you can only claim that OBX headers do provide gains but that's it. No claims that they are more restrictive, ergo, provide more gains that comptech etc., It's pure speculation!!

Cusdaddy,
Your stock michellins were the key!! With little traction tires with the most surface area in the contact patch contributed to the best 60ft times.

Scooter,
I'll be down there with you the first time they open up!!!! I really need to see how these tires react on a new layed launch pad. Btw, i was there during the summer with a nice hot pad and still couldn't muster and grip
Old 11-24-2002, 11:18 AM
Banned

I never said they would pull better #'s. I said it might have a better power band because of more restriction. That is all.

Originally posted by Zapata
Silverbullet,
My etown peeps must be laughing because we said as soon as Cusdaddy posts you're gonna have all the OBX people jumping up and down saying OBX rules etc.,

That's a load of crap to say the OBX have pulled better numbers than the Comptechs. Until you or anybody else can show me more than ONE questionable dyno, you can only claim that OBX headers do provide gains but that's it. No claims that they are more restrictive, ergo, provide more gains that comptech etc., It's pure speculation!!

Cusdaddy,
Your stock michellins were the key!! With little traction tires with the most surface area in the contact patch contributed to the best 60ft times.

Scooter,
I'll be down there with you the first time they open up!!!! I really need to see how these tires react on a new layed launch pad. Btw, i was there during the summer with a nice hot pad and still couldn't muster and grip
Old 11-24-2002, 11:19 AM
'Cooter

the OBX debate continues...
Old 11-24-2002, 11:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Hey all. I'm never online on the weekend... but figured I'd stop in. I'll tell you that I had such a great time yesterday... it was so awesome running on a real track and it was cool to see and hang out with everyone. I never did anything like this before.. which I think made it even more fun. Even though it was cold and the wind was really nasty... it was a sweet time.

Anyway... I'll chime in with my times. I was happy with them, especially considering I did NOTHING to prep my car. I wanted to see how fast my car is setup the way it is every day. Therefore, my spare was in, sub box was in, and my tire pressure was around 42psi front and rear. I changed nothing. I even ran with VSA on the whole time which ended up being good b/c traction was just awful.

My best run was:
R/T...1.069 (I sucked at this )
60'...2.459
330'..6.575
1/8...9.881
MPH...74.96

My run with my higest trap speed was:
R/T...1.143 (hehe, told you I sucked)
60'...2.625
1/8...10.070
MPH...75.63

Funny thing is that was my slowest run of the day.. yet yielded my highest trap speed. As everyone above said... traction was way below desirable. I was not hooking up. If I lowered my PSI it may have been better... I probably would have run in the 9.7's.... but I'll save that for next time.

I was very impressed with cusdaddy's runs... especially since he lit up his tires the whole 1/8th mile on his first run . RobG was also flying. Gotta love those 6speeds with headers. I'll tell you that watching cusdaddy's times got me all excited about my headers. Can't wait to get them on!!

Anyway, I had a great time and even though I lost in the second round of the eliminations (broke my dial-in) I was able to get 7 runs total... which was nice. I really wanted to run the 1/4... but running the 1/8th was a good way to pop my drag racing cherry. I'll be ready in the spring.... plus, by then I'll have my headers in... so at least I have some kind of a baseline. I really need to work on my R/T time, although I got better as the day went on.. running a .907 and .908 on my last two runs. I was just happy to be under 1 second
Old 11-24-2002, 11:32 AM
Busy Living

the traction issue was dues to the cold temps. cold launch pad. But, we make up for it the rest of the run. we can't have the best of both worlds.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:08 PM
im back

i'm sorry to create an argument, but the comptechs still create better gains than OBX. Look at my dyno...247.6 and 211.3...off aem cai, comptech axel-backs and comptech headers...come on now. oh and denso iridiums which add a half a horsepower. Cusdaddy's times were very impressive for an auto with intake and headers. Also cold air helped everyone o nthe runs but killed us on the traction.
Old 11-24-2002, 12:13 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by SilverBullet
That is a seriously LOWWWWWWW dyno #'s. I can't believe that a stock one dynos that low. hmmm.
Everyone was suprised at the low dyno #s...

Maybe it was b/c were all at the track the night before? :P
Old 11-24-2002, 01:02 PM
Suzuka Master

i'm sorry to create an argument, but the comptechs still create better gains than OBX. Look at my dyno...247.6 and 211.3...off aem cai, comptech axel-backs and comptech headers
Definitely not trying to argue, but I just wanted to say that since you have a 6 speed, you start off with at least ~20 more hp to the wheels than a Auto (due to the driveline power loss being lower for a manal), so the 247 can't really be compared to the dyno of OBX on an auto. The oly good baseline for you would be if OBX made headers for the 6 speed.

But seriously. Who cares. I had a great time and by no way was I trying to say OBX are better. If I has $1200 to spend, I would have gone with the Comptech.

Also, as Rob showed, a 6 speed with I/H/E is a nasty combination
Old 11-24-2002, 02:09 PM
Xe- For Better Hwy Vision

Originally posted by cusdaddy
It's very strange. My stock Michelins actally did VERY good yesterday. I had a 2.21 60' in one of my runs. I lowered the pressure to 28lbs which seemed to make a nice difference.

Xeon7 - you had some GREAT runs. I am amazed at your 9.4 with an almost stock car. The run right after you left was when I pulled the 9.31 - It would have been a GREAT match up

I agree. Track conditions were terrible - Still had a great time though

Cusdaddy- Tyres and pressure are key for sure. 26lbs seemed to stick it pretty well for me! I saw that 9.31- wow dude thats getting it to the track alright. What was you reaction time on that run?

yeah I was amazed how well the car did myself
next time @ ET, you and me!

//XENON7//
Old 11-24-2002, 02:27 PM
Banned

Originally posted by I am RobG
i'm sorry to create an argument, but the comptechs still create better gains than OBX. Look at my dyno...247.6 and 211.3...off aem cai, comptech axel-backs and comptech headers...come on now. oh and denso iridiums which add a half a horsepower. Cusdaddy's times were very impressive for an auto with intake and headers. Also cold air helped everyone o nthe runs but killed us on the traction.
Umm Rob, you are a 6spd.

You will always gain more than autos.
Old 11-24-2002, 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

I said it might have a better power band because of more restriction.
I certainly hope this is meant as a joke...
Old 11-24-2002, 02:34 PM
Banned

Originally posted by scalbert
I certainly hope this is meant as a joke...
No I was dead serious.

Restriction on exhausts will give cars more low end power than high end. High end is when you have a completely free flowing exhaust it will help most there. But if its too free flowing, you will lose some low end.

To help BOTH, its good to keep SOME restriction somewhere in the exhaust to help the low end but also gain the high end.

Take it from a racer, that is the way it works.
Old 11-24-2002, 02:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Restriction on exhausts will give cars more low end power than high end. High end is when you have a completely free flowing exhaust it will help most there. But if its too free flowing, you will lose some low end.

Take it from a racer, that is the way it works.
heheh, I love hearing people make these claims from their vast experience.

Having designed the DAQ for engine dynamometers for some OEM exhaust manufacturers I have seen these studies. In fact I also did the DAQ on the flow benches and the catalytic converter life cycle test stand.

We even ran sound tests of my old CL-S:

Ear
Left Muffler
Right Muffler

This was mentioned to establish background in this topic.

Yes, you are correct that there is a compromise in header tube diameter usage on an application. But this is a wide range of design when working with street to race engines. Also this is referenced when the design was intended for the application and all issues are considered.

The problem is that the header ports are a different size, not just the tube diameter. Had the ports matched but a smaller tube diameter was used the argument would be credible. But in this case a serious step in sizes occurs; not a fluid transition. This step will cause turbulence and decreased flow throughout the rev band. How much of a difference would be hard to tell without running flow tests. In fact, this step would cause more heat transfered into the headers which might have helped the ceramic pealing issues, but that is just speculation.

So IMO, the smaller port issue will not help power in this case. Had the ports matched and smaller tubing been used then there could be potentially better low end power, but marginally (a couple percent only).

But as stated before, the OBX headers will probably make within 10% of the Comptech units and provide an excellent power/$$ ratio. I made a statement about the seemingly far stretched notion that a stepped flow path could some how make better power down low.
Old 11-24-2002, 04:49 PM
Banned

Don't worry cusdaddy we'll find out when I get my Comptech headers. By the way I did see the 6 speed cl's peeling like crazy while the automatics almost none. My best 60' was 2.223 and my worst after 7 runs was a 2.378 and I was running on stock rubber. I can't believe how bad the Michelin A/S are at the dragstrip next time I'll go back with stock rims and stock rubber.
Old 11-24-2002, 04:55 PM
Suzuka Master

To help BOTH, its good to keep SOME restriction somewhere in the exhaust to help the low end but also gain the high end.
Just as an addition, the catalytic converter provide enough back pressure in the exhaust system.
Old 11-24-2002, 05:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Xeon7 - My timeslip from that run was:
R/T: 1.137
60': 2.299
1/8: 9.318
MPH: 78.33

My Reaction Time throughout was pretty bad. Only once did I ever get slower than a second. This was my first time at the track, and I guess I was a little slow. Next time hopefully I'll get a little better.

That sucked they wouldn't let us run eachother. It would have been a great race. The more I raced the lower my #'s went. I guess the tires got stickier as I went on. We definitely have to run again at ET next season.

Lou: You had some of the best 60' times around. It was sick how you took me off the line when we raced. Get some headers and you should be running low 14's in the 1/4
Old 11-24-2002, 05:24 PM
Banned

Originally posted by lou
Don't worry cusdaddy we'll find out when I get my Comptech headers. By the way I did see the 6 speed cl's peeling like crazy while the automatics almost none. My best 60' was 2.223 and my worst after 7 runs was a 2.378 and I was running on stock rubber. I can't believe how bad the Michelin A/S are at the dragstrip next time I'll go back with stock rims and stock rubber.
I spin like mad anytime I plant the gas down to the ground.....
Old 11-24-2002, 07:01 PM
im back

either way it was awesome, everyone had a great time. People were having a good time, running great times.Next season we're doing it again without a doubt.
Old 11-24-2002, 07:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally posted by Zapata

My tire pressure was 51 in the back and 36 in the front. No matter what I've done to adjust the pressure.....can't hook-up at englishtown.

after hearing people talk about tire pressure over and over again, why would you run your front tire pressure at 36psi?

when i went to the track in october, i forgot to drop my pressure on the first run. when the tree came down i mashed the throttle and just stayed there, it was so bad i thought i broke my trans or something (2.66). i was at 35-36psi front. after i figured out what the problem was i dropped the fronts to 25 and ended up running my fastest times ever, including a 60' of 2.17.

this is a little trick that really works.

silverbullet, do you ever get tired of sounding like a total moron ? guess not
Old 11-24-2002, 07:47 PM
Team Owner

Where’s all the PHOTOS ???
I saw lots of digi-cams clicking yesterday, but no one except Scooter has posted links yet.

Here are a few I snapped.

Zapata racing cusdaddy (I think)

Scooter about to get “OWNED” buy the NSX (notice the flag blowing to the left)

Two Ford pickups doing battle

Two Vettes

Lots O smoke from the one Vette

Even more from this old Chevy
Old 11-24-2002, 07:51 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Old 11-24-2002, 07:53 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by mattg
after hearing people talk about tire pressure over and over again, why would you run your front tire pressure at 36psi?

when i went to the track in october, i forgot to drop my pressure on the first run. when the tree came down i mashed the throttle and just stayed there, it was so bad i thought i broke my trans or something (2.66). i was at 35-36psi front. after i figured out what the problem was i dropped the fronts to 25 and ended up running my fastest times ever, including a 60' of 2.17.

this is a little trick that really works.

silverbullet, do you ever get tired of sounding like a total moron ? guess not
Mattg,
Yeah I know but you can't do anything with these tires at englishtown. Unless the track is very stick you'll have a hard time launching with them. When i had the automatic i went to the track and had the pressure down to 30 and then 25 and then 20. Yeah my 60ft time dropped but it really didn't translate into higher times. Note these are 225/50/17.

I believe there are a few factors at work here. One i think that englishtown is a slippery track once the season gets under way. I was talking to scooter on the phone today and he reminded me that englishtown is used by the NHRA for official events. Two, these tires are just not made for drag racing. There isn't as much surface area and the rubber isn't much sticker than stock. Three, these tires are heavy.

All those factors combined are resulting in some bad results. I need to figure out what to do next if anything. Lighterrims and better tires? SSR Comps? Volks? Superleggras? Toyos? Dunno.....
Old 11-24-2002, 09:23 PM
im back

Zap do you have an estimated date when the vids and shit are gonna be ready?
P.S.-that's me not zap racing on the top
Old 11-24-2002, 09:25 PM
Senior Moderator

so whats the story on the front wheels you were running, RobG?
Old 11-24-2002, 09:33 PM
im back

stock 16" prelude rims with nitto 555R drag radials(which by the way maybe added a tenth of a second if i'm lucky, the didn't help at all with traction.)
Old 11-24-2002, 09:43 PM
1 Phat CL !

what is this 9.0 ?
Old 11-24-2002, 09:48 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by OUTRAGEOUS CL TYPE S
what is this 9.0 ?
1/8 mile time...they wouldn't open the 1/4 b/c the wind was too much and continuous
Old 11-24-2002, 09:58 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

What did the SC Accord run?
Old 11-24-2002, 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by I am RobG
stock 16" prelude rims with nitto 555R drag radials(which by the way maybe added a tenth of a second if i'm lucky, the didn't help at all with traction.)

what size were the tires? you probably shaved at least .2 w/ that setup.
Old 11-24-2002, 10:10 PM
Suzuka Master

What did the SC Accord run?
I am almost sure his best time was a 9.75. I raced him during the eliminations and I ran a 9.50 and he was about 1.5-2 cars back (his time was messed up because an object flew by the traps while we were racing, so his time on the slip came out to .611 or something like that).

He mentioned that the SC does little to help him down low. He said he kept getting creamed by the CLS' off the line

BTW... Is he on this board?
Old 11-25-2002, 06:45 AM
im back

nope only got about a tenth because i raced lou and me and him were dead even through first gear then i just took off. But my old 60ft time on my 18's was 2.375 this was a 2.23 or something so only a tenth. It was too cold to get traction out. In march when we go back it'll help more cuz the track will be stickier.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:12 AM
Team Owner

RobG,

I can’t believe no one got any photos of your smoky burnouts.
None that I have seen yet anyway.

They looked quite impressive from behind, but I must say you better check your muffler mounts.
They were bouncing around VIOLENTLY when you were “warming up”.
Make sure you didn’t shake anything loose.

Shawn S
Old 11-25-2002, 07:18 AM
im back

i know! i wanna see my burnouts i know zapata has the video's and i'm eager as hell to see them but i dunno why my exhaust does that, they're secured, both hangers are in place but they've been doing that since i got them. so i pretty much ignore it now
Old 11-25-2002, 07:21 AM
'Cooter

i think we shoulda done wet burnouts..maybe that woulda helped get better traction

keep in mind the Pilot Sport A/S's have better performance when they're wet than dry...go figure...i guess that's something else to try next time we're down there...o, and this get 3 runs in Friday night crap has to stop...spending a whole day Sat is so much more worth it
Old 11-25-2002, 07:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Scooter
i think we shoulda done wet burnouts..maybe that woulda helped get better traction

keep in mind the Pilot Sport A/S's have better performance when they're wet than dry...go figure...i guess that's something else to try next time we're down there...o, and this get 3 runs in Friday night crap has to stop...spending a whole day Sat is so much more worth it

I hope you're not telling me that you are going to stop, accelerate, and/or corner better in wet conditions that in the dry.

If you really believe your tires work better wet than dry, you should get Lloyds of London to insure the tires until the engineers at the various auto firms can get over to your test track... :P :P

Quick Reply: E-Town Results (OBX Headers - Suprise!)