E-manange works under Open Loop?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 01:40 AM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
E-manange works under Open Loop?

Have a quick question, The car's ecu will run closed loop during normal driving, and switched to open loop when under WOT or throttle over ~60% + right? So the people with E-manage hooked up, its basically useless until WOT than thats when it will run off the E-manage for fuel, timing, etc.

Correct?
Old 11-18-2004, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe Scalbert can chime in, but I think the way the E-Manage works is that it uses the MAP signal to modify the timing and injector pulse width, wheather the engine is in closed or open loop. Basically the E-Manage modifies the output signals from the ECU to the injectors and the timing?

(ECU Input Signal)
MAP Signal->E-Manage->ECU

(ECU outputs)
ECU->E-Manage->Timing & Fuel Trim

I think this is how it works
Old 11-18-2004, 07:38 AM
Intermediate

The e-manage works all throughout the rpm range and load ranges not only in open loop. It also has map limiting options to fight boost fuel cuts etc. So you can modify part throttle/cruise as well as WOT. Surpirisingly the E-manage is quite a good system for being an inline signal modifier. I'm not the biggest on hacks so that shoudl say something.
Chemmech is correct by the way.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:15 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Ok, the reason i posted this is b/c on weare currently working on a supercharging a IS300. The problem is, the stock ecu is stilled being used during normal driving (closed loop) when its WOT (open loop) the E-manage is actually being used. For this reason, we had to get a Split Second ESC1 to make the car run open loop so it would used the E-manage instead of the factory ECU all the time.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:29 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Originally Posted by Chemmech
Maybe Scalbert can chime in, but I think the way the E-Manage works is that it uses the MAP signal to modify the timing and injector pulse width, wheather the engine is in closed or open loop. Basically the E-Manage modifies the output signals from the ECU to the injectors and the timing?

(ECU Input Signal)
MAP Signal->E-Manage->ECU

(ECU outputs)
ECU->E-Manage->Timing & Fuel Trim

I think this is how it works

Thats what i thought how it works but maybe its varies for different cars.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

It depends on how you program it.

Since it intercepts the primary air flow device (MAP in the case of the CL-S, MAF in the case of the IS300) and can alter it at any range. It could certainly affect closed loop control. Also, since it can extend the factory injector pulse width it could again affect closed loop operation.

But since it can be programmed to make alterations based on a combination of MAP(or MAF)/RPM or Throttle Position/RPM you can have it alter the signals only at WOT.

However, if you install larger injectors you can continuously alter the signals which would be seen, but necessary during closer loop operation.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:18 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Ah, so how do i go about programing the E-manage to run 100 percent of the time in closed and open loop without having the factory ECU changing any of the map. Also, this would eliminate the use of Split Second ESC1.

thanx
stan
Old 11-18-2004, 08:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MotionEffects
Ah, so how do i go about programing the E-manage to run 100 percent of the time in closed and open loop without having the factory ECU changing any of the map. Also, this would eliminate the use of Split Second ESC1.
What are you trying to acheive?? Are you installing larger injectors??
Old 11-18-2004, 08:33 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Originally Posted by scalbert
What are you trying to acheive?? Are you installing larger injectors??

Im currently installing a supercharger on my friends IS300, But I have to use split sec ESC1 so i can actually use the e-manage. Other than that i would have no choose and the members of IS300.n*t said that is a temporary fix until the Factory ECU learns that the little black box is there to fool it.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:34 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

It will be using 6 440cc injectors aswell
Old 11-19-2004, 02:11 AM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Old 11-19-2004, 07:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MotionEffects
Im currently installing a supercharger on my friends IS300, But I have to use split sec ESC1 so i can actually use the e-manage. Other than that i would have no choose and the members of IS300.n*t said that is a temporary fix until the Factory ECU learns that the little black box is there to fool it.
Since you are running larger squirters you will need to offset the airflow signal all of the time so your fuel trim doesn't got too negative. In this regard, yes, the E-Manage can do what you need and do it very well. In fact, there would be no need for the ESC1 when the E-Manage is tuned. The alteration of the MAF signal will be enough to keep the ECU happy (if done properly). And then once the MAF signal is capped (if needed) the additional injection can be used to get the A/F ratio where it needed to be.

The only questionable part is the ignition control capability of the E-Manage with the IS300. I knew a guy who tried it but failed. However, he didn't try very long and the plan was for me to take a crack at it to determine what was needed. But he ended up going a different route in the end so I never got a chance to look at it. IMO, the ignition control should work fine, but for retard only. However, going to forced induction means that you are only concerned about retard.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:14 PM
Acura TLS are SLOW

Originally Posted by scalbert
Since you are running larger squirters you will need to offset the airflow signal all of the time so your fuel trim doesn't got too negative. In this regard, yes, the E-Manage can do what you need and do it very well. In fact, there would be no need for the ESC1 when the E-Manage is tuned. The alteration of the MAF signal will be enough to keep the ECU happy (if done properly). And then once the MAF signal is capped (if needed) the additional injection can be used to get the A/F ratio where it needed to be.

The only questionable part is the ignition control capability of the E-Manage with the IS300. I knew a guy who tried it but failed. However, he didn't try very long and the plan was for me to take a crack at it to determine what was needed. But he ended up going a different route in the end so I never got a chance to look at it. IMO, the ignition control should work fine, but for retard only. However, going to forced induction means that you are only concerned about retard.

I will give it a shot to see if everything will work right, looks like more tinkering with the E-manage and the Ecu itself. Thank you Scalbert

Stan