Drove the CLS 6spd, 330Ci and G35C back to back to back...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 09:08 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
:o

Old 05-25-2003, 10:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Drove the CLS 6spd, 330Ci and G35C back to back to back...

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
maybe you should keep your CLS as a classic car. Maybe it will be worth lots in a few years cuz they are soo hard to find

Thats like saying Cameros are gonna have high resale values since they arent made anymore

And yes, BMW owners are pricks
Not to go off topic, but I want you to know what I trying to say:
Ahh we all know that they depreciate, but the topic is about the 03 CL-S 6-SPEED that was only made in limited numbers. I differ, because there are always car enthusiasts that will buy used to avoid the giant hit of buying NEW (we all know that).. But I would like to think that the 03 CL-S 6-SPEED will be hunted by enthusiasts just like the 2002 Pontiac WS6 will be in the future...It will not be a challenge to unload my 6-Speeder, but unloading an 01-02 is a different story.

I want an M3 badly...
Old 05-25-2003, 10:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
ahh gotcha. I was just fuckin around anyways
Old 05-26-2003, 12:04 AM
Daily Driver

There's actually another stigma of BMW owners around SJ, that they have no idea how to drive but just bought it for the name. It's especially evident with a bunch of 325 drivers, but you'll see it with pretty much everything but an \\M. People that made a few bucks in the dot.com era or just in engineering jobs who want a "nice" car, so they get a BMW. Nothing wrong with that, if you got the bucks do what you want with them, but I no longer assume that there's an enthusiest driving when I see a BMW, especially a 325.

There's a girl I work with who did just that, she got an auto 325 and she tells me that her salesman told her to take it up into the higher rev range when she bought it, but she's just not comfortable doing that. I've offered to drive it on occasion, and she actually might take me up on that -- how fun would that be? Having to purposefully drive someone else's car hard??? It's a 325 and not a 330, but I'd sure see what it can do!
Old 05-26-2003, 09:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Crazy Sellout
ahh gotcha. I was just fuckin around anyways
I know... Just wanted to clairfy..
Old 05-26-2003, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Aegean_Blue6
\\M. People that made a few bucks in the dot.com era or just in engineering jobs who want a "nice" car, so they get a BMW. Nothing wrong with that, if you got the bucks do what you want with them, but I no longer assume that there's an enthusiest driving when I see a BMW, especially a 325.
actually, the //M's are the worst. Its usaually a middle aged gent, that uses it to commute to and from work! no 1/4mile racing, no autox, nothing! they don't even drive fast in it, just keep it at low revs from stoplight to stoplight It makes me want to cry, when I see this!
Old 05-26-2003, 11:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Scrib
G35C 6mt - Silver/Black/Premium/aero: 35.6K

330Ci 5mt - Steel Gray/Black/Premium/Sport/Cold Weather/Xenon/18" wheels and tires: 42.5K

7K is enough to steer me towards the G.
That's how I priced the 330. Same packages, different color.

42K was a bit much for me too, so that's why I'm driving a CLS.

If I had to make the decision on a new car this summer, I would probably go for the G (or Z) as the CL is being discontinued.

Smitty: I agree, to the right buyer, a CLS 6spd in excellent condition will be an easy sell. It might not be as desirable as a Legend 6spd coupe, but it will be a tough car to find on the used car market in a few years. Dealer trade in value probably won't be the greatest, but a private sale to a buyer specifically looking for a CLS 6spd will probably be a different story.

If they had made the 6spd starting in '01, I'd probably have bought a used CLS. I'm one of those buyers that would pay a premium for the 6spd.
Old 05-26-2003, 12:48 PM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get the G because it will be different from the CL you currently have. The CLS6 is awesome but it will pretty much be the same car interior and exterior wise that you already have. Get something different.

The 330ci is hot but 7 grand is 7 grand.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:23 PM
TSX4LIFE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Test Drove G35AUTO and CLS 6SPD

Went out all day driving and looking at different cars to compare with CLS and TLS my cousin and I own. My impressions on the 2 cars in questions:

CLS6SPD - very fast and fun "torque" filled car...........tore it up through the gears, incredible acceleration in all gears.........very different feel from my auto.........shame on Acura for not complimenting the sheer power of the 6SPD with suspension, brakes, sterring, and tire upgrades cause this car would be out of control for the normal CLS driver..........you really have to know how to drive 6SPD to enjoy the car and control from disaster..............there is alltogether too much wheelspin in 1st and 2nd gears when pushed...........my cousin and I both agree on this.

G35AUTO - no 6SPD available to drive........excellent steering feel and great acceleration through the band........ride was uncomfortable due to suspension offering too much road feel (somewhat harsh)..........upper end acceleration is flat past 4th gear.........the auto sportshift is more precise and quicker to respond than CLS auto sportshift.........handling much better than CLS stock to stock.

Overall - excellent drives, but prefer the CLS 6SPD due to its low torque feel and excellent high end acceleration........with some Mods, this would be a great car..........however a lot of $$ would have to be spend to get the car to handle the power the CLS 6SPD delivers (and that's without the supercharger).........fastest FWD manual I have ever driven as far as pure enjoyment, however, I think I would need to spend at least another 7-8K in mods to really enjoy the pure torque in the car; otherwise driving it day to day would get frustrating not having better control (interetingly enough, we also drove the TSX 6SPD and it handled much better than the CLS and it have VSA - what's up with ACURA on not offering VSA on the CLS 6SPD when they can undoubtedly do it on the TSX 6SPD. The G35AUTO was just to rough iddiling and the transmission shift points were very "crude." Good horsepower but not worth extra money they are asking for.........I would consider it if the engine and transmission felt more velvety smooth like the Aucura. My cousin and I both thought the interior was subpar compared to the Acura. NOTE: If the new 04 TL is as good or better as far as handling and has a potent V6, I would probably upgrade to that. I will be interested to find out the new one will handle. Also, drove the TLS ASPEC and it handles much like or CLS and not the traditional auto TLS. Nice touches on this car!
Old 05-30-2003, 01:32 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Re: Test Drove G35AUTO and CLS 6SPD

Originally posted by 03cls5a
however a lot of $$ would have to be spend to get the car to handle the power the CLS 6SPD delivers
Actually not that much -- springs, sways, and better tires and you're there. Figure about $1 - 2K depending on where it's installed. Even with most of the basic mods you're still running at a total cost significantly less then the competition.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:36 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Hmmm...

Interesting review, especially when you say the CLS has a more torquey feel than the G. The CLS motor just sounds meaner than the motor in the G, and is maybe why you said that? Because raw numbers would say otherwise. I'm not discounting what you said, I'm just curious for some more info.

Cool writeup though...
Old 05-30-2003, 01:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

great writeup, i want to get a truck, but I can get the g35C for dirt cheap... I'm afraid that if i drive it, i'll get it right then and there... :|
Old 05-30-2003, 01:42 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Re: Test Drove G35AUTO and CLS 6SPD

Originally posted by 03cls5a
...CLS6SPD ...G35AUTO - no 6SPD available to drive...
I'm thinking what Scib was -- Nice review, but comparing a manual tranny car to an auto tranny car is an apples to oranges sort of thing. This could be the difference in the 'torque' that you felt.

Personally, I wouldn't have wasted my time with the test drive on the auto (as I am not interested in owning an auto tranny car).
Old 05-30-2003, 01:58 PM
TSX4LIFE

Test Drives

CLS 6SPD just was more fun even with less power...........I'm referring to the raw low end power rush I felt in 1st and 2nd gear in the CLS.........just awesome.........my cousin and I both agreed on this as well considering we have driven M3, M5, Maximas, etc. in the past between the both of us. However to get the care right I would have to also invest in bettering the steering components for better road feel, high end supension mods like billstein shock and struts (comptech would be too soft if you ask me based on supsension dimension mentioned in their sways and springs).........I would do it right........my cousin and I think it would cost about maybe 5-7K bottom end to get what we would want to spec it with.......he knows his stuff since he has done mods on BMW's and Benz........he still like the Acura and Honda products better for daily use unless you go "track". The G35 just felt loud and rattled a lot and I just felt too tight sitting in it. Also did not like the driver view versus the Honda product.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:05 PM
Pro

I got warm all over last night when I stumbled upon "Motorweek" TV show on the Speed Channel....they were reviewing the new Chevy Cavalier and the guy (you all probably know him...slightly beefy with that radio-quality voice....) starts out by saying that there were 250,000 Cavaliers bulit and sold in the USA last year....and I'm thinking I bought a used a '91 Cavalierwith 35k miles for $10,000 (I know, I know....I was coming off a '83 Toyota Corona Wagon that you could put your foot through the floor because of the rust-out) and now I drive a 2003 CL-S 6speed....Man...I LOVE THIS COUNTRY !!!!!!! By the way, since I put on the Comptech Springs and Sumitomo HTR+ I look for any little reason to drive this car....It's just that good.
Old 05-30-2003, 02:57 PM
Daily Driver

I drove the 6-spd CLS and auto G35, and I had a similar impression. Whether it's an auto vs. manual thing or some other unfair measure, I just had more fun on the test drive in the CLS-6. Just having sways makes a huge difference in handling, and it shows just how poor the tires are - I can't wait to chew through the stockies and save up a few bucks to go get some new rubber. Springs may happen too, but only if I feel I need them for performance, can't justify the $$$ on looks alone.

G35 is a great car. CLS-6 is a really good car that can be great with just a couple small mods, and it'll save you a few bucks in the process. Both are great choices in my book.

It's competition like that from Infiniti that will push Acura to excel.