Don't buy cheap non-OEM rubber refills for your wippers

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 02:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Don't buy cheap non-OEM rubber refills for your wippers

Listen to this, my OEM wippers got worn out, so I went to Pep Boys and got some Refills (Anco ??). 3 month latter, I notice wierd noise when my wippers are on, I take a look and:
One plastic on the refill blade is broken, and mettal part that hold the rubber in place is scratching the windshield. Now I got a scratch on my windshield

ANYBODY know if its possible to use some solution to remove small scratch on the windshield? Its very small(very thin), but you can notice it. Can I get some kind of acid or something to remove it?
Thanks for your help, and never buy non-OEM refills for your stock wipers!
Old 02-22-2003, 03:11 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
I wouldn't say "never buy non-OEM regills"... just don't buy cheap stuff...

I've been super happy with Bosh MicroEdge Excel for quite some time. Zero noise and no scratches anywhere.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by einsatz
I wouldn't say "never buy non-OEM regills"... just don't buy cheap stuff...

I've been super happy with Bosh MicroEdge Excel for quite some time. Zero noise and no scratches anywhere.
Its not about being cheap, you either buy a comple wiper blade set, or only OEM refils. The thing is, that some refills are not a perfect fit, and can slip or break.....

Now I got a scratch on my windshield, is there any way to remove it or make it little less obvious?
Old 02-22-2003, 03:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by russianDude
Its not about being cheap, you either buy comple wiper blade, or only OEM refils. The thing is, that some refills are not a perfect fit, and can slip or break.....

Now I got a scratch on my windshield, is there any way to remove it or make it little less obvious?
Check out www.eastwoodco.com

If your nail doesn't "catch" on the scratch:

Glass Polishing Kit Pro

Item No. - 40011
This kit can be used to clear off years of wiper haze from your windshield and save hundreds of dollars in replacement costs. Ideal for hard-to-find windshields on older cars. Try this test: Run your fingernail over the damaged area on your windshield. If nail doesn't catch this kit will work. If your nail does catch try the Deep Scratch Kit (40030). Mark the damaged area mix the special Glass Polishing Compound with water, attach polishing buff to your drill or low speed polisher (1,500 rpm), and start polishing! Includes: 1/4 adapter, 1 lb Glass Polishing Compound, 2 7/8" x 1" Thick Buffing Wheel.

Regular Price: $34.99 This item is in stock.

DEEP scratch kit:

Glass Polishing Kit For Deep Scratches

Item No. - 40030
Remove Deep Scratches From Glass - Now you can recondition deeply scratched automotive glass and save the replacement costs. This abrasive system literally grinds away imperfections until scratches disappear. Works with your 4 1/2" or 5" air angle grinder set at 2000 rpm. WARNING: This System Removes Glass. Keep Glass Wet With Water and Spinning Abrasives Moving Across Entire Surface to Avoid Heat Build-Up and Optical Distortion. Includes: Self-adhering hook and loop pad, coarse, medium and fine abrasives, Pro Glass Polishing Kit (40011) and instructions.

Regular Price: $45.99 This item is in stock.

AND...

Finally, to try and "hide" the scratch, you can use this. It also protects the glass with a polycarbonate coating (I'm using this stuff under the Zaino now):

http://www.diamondite.com/shield.htm

If you have 'MINOR" scratches or very tiny pits (TINY), the stuff will help cover them up... It won’t fix meteor strikes...

YMMV
Old 02-22-2003, 04:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by EricL

AND...

Finally, to try and "hide" the scratch, you can use this. It also protects the glass with a polycarbonate coating (I'm using this stuff under the Zaino now):

http://www.diamondite.com/shield.htm

If you have 'MINOR" scratches or very tiny pits (TINY), the stuff will help cover them up... It won’t fix meteor strikes...

YMMV [/B]
This one seems to be used for protection, does it really hide MINOR scrateches? My scratch is minor, and my nail does not get stuck in it... very fine thin...

So it only hides scratches, how offten does it need to be reapplied?
thx ErricL
Old 02-22-2003, 04:52 PM
Suzuka Master

This one seems to be used for protection, does it really hide MINOR scrateches? My scratch is minor, and my nail does not get stuck in it... very fine thin...

So it only hides scratches, how offten does it need to be reapplied?
thx ErricL
Every 6-months.

Only hides.

I use it as layer #1 (got to remove ALL Zaino). (Can put Zaino on top after it cures...)

It better be small. It works well on those very, very small pits that are in the glass from bits of junk hitting the windscreen at 80+. My wife has some very minor scratches that "went away". IT won't help sandblasted and/or badly pitted/scratched glass and if the scratch is deep enough, you probably will need to grind it down.

BTW, It's really hard to judge what gets covered up and what doesn't.

YMMV
Old 02-22-2003, 05:18 PM
Homeless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't use the RainX scratch remover... does not work & leaves more scratches than it helps...IMHO.
Old 02-22-2003, 11:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by EricL
Every 6-months.

Only hides.

I use it as layer #1 (got to remove ALL Zaino). (Can put Zaino on top after it cures...)

It better be small. It works well on those very, very small pits that are in the glass from bits of junk hitting the windscreen at 80+. My wife has some very minor scratches that "went away". IT won't help sandblasted and/or badly pitted/scratched glass and if the scratch is deep enough, you probably will need to grind it down.

BTW, It's really hard to judge what gets covered up and what doesn't.

YMMV

Did you get it online, do they sell that stuff in Pep Boys or autozone?
I looked at it more, it might not even be a scratch, looks like something very thin ( far smaller than a human hair ) just left a footprint... maybe some strong soven will remove it or make it less noticable.... I need to try some stong glass cleaner... hmn..
thanks for info anyway
Old 02-23-2003, 10:05 AM
Xe- For Better Hwy Vision

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GET OEM BLADES FROM ACURA

It's the best $6.99 you'll ever spend. Don't waste time
with the shit they sell in Kmart and AZONE

I have used BOSCH in the past, few bucks more.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by xenon7
GET OEM BLADES FROM ACURA

It's the best $6.99 you'll ever spend. Don't waste time
with the shit they sell in Kmart and AZONE

I have used BOSCH in the past, few bucks more.
Its funny that you say 6.99, I paid more for non-OEM POS, and not got a scratch on my windshield cause one peice of mettal got off...
Old 02-23-2003, 01:31 PM
Suzuka Master

You can always go over to the Autopia forum. This issue has been discussed...

Did you get it online, do they sell that stuff in Pep Boys or autozone?
I looked at it more, it might not even be a scratch, looks like something very thin ( far smaller than a human hair ) just left a footprint... maybe some strong soven will remove it or make it less noticable.... I need to try some stong glass cleaner... hmn..
thanks for info anyway
If you ever want to try it, just call the number of the site. I ordered a bunch of the stuff and have just had way too many windshields get pitted over time from lots of uncovered trucks hauling sand and other crud.

Be very, very careful of what kind of solvents you use near the paint.

Brian is one the owners over at Diamondite (really nice guy)!

Autopia link (car care): www.autopia.org

If it doesn't come out with the some good window cleaner, you can always repost over on the autopia forum (and/or do a search).

AS others have mentioned, get the OEMS or get some PIAAs (silicone) or Bosch (graphite) if you want to "play" with replacements...