Does the CL type S have break in oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2001, 10:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the CL type S have break in oil?

I have heard on this list (in a post that I can not find) that the engine has break in oil from the factory that must stay in for 3700 miles. The dealer gave me a maintenance book that shows the first oil change at 1500 miles! What is the word on this?

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLs
Old 01-16-2001, 11:06 AM
Banned

Yes there is a special oil put in the engine at the factory. This oil allegedly helps the valves, rings, cams, and etc. seat properly. However, it is not necessary to change it at 1500 miles unless you are driving daily in a dust bowl at high speed. Acura suggests the first oil change at 7500 miles. Personally I changed mine myself at 3500 miles. I noticed the factory oil was different in color than traditional motor oil. Hence the special "break in" oil
Old 01-16-2001, 11:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the info. I'll cancel my oil change today.

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLs
Old 01-16-2001, 01:30 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

I had the exact same question. My dealer wanted me to change the oil at 1,000. Acura said leave the factory oil until 3,700. So I opted for the experts. BUT, I noticed around 2,500 or so that the mileage was dropping and the engine was producing much more vibration. I waited until 3,700 for the oil change. After a couple of days the engine quieted down, and I have since notice my gas mileage back up.

------------------
(Formerly Type-S)
01 Type-S
Satin Silver/Ebony
Navigation-Spoiler-Muds-Wheel locks-35% Tint-PIAA wedges-V1 and remote
Old 01-16-2001, 02:45 PM
Team Owner

I thought the exact mileage number for the first one was 3,750.
That is when I had my first oil change.
BTW....It was FREE at my dealer.

I'm at about 6,500 right now.

Shawn S

------------------
>>> 400+ posts on h/a.net <<< >>> 550+ posts “freak” on the “old” acura-cl.com <<<

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 01-16-2001, 02:51 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bone_stock:
Yes there is a special oil put in the engine at the factory.......... I noticed the factory oil was different in color than traditional motor oil. Hence the special "break in" oil </font>
Where do you get your info? Who told you about this special "break in" oil? When you drained the crankcase, what color was the 'used' oil that came out? What color would it have come out if it was 'traditional' oil?

Just a few questions, because I find this very intriguing.

------------------
2 cars
Old 01-16-2001, 03:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

FYI; read oil articals at this web site
http://www.seansa4page.com/resource/autotech.html
Old 01-16-2001, 03:16 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tom:
Where do you get your info? Who told you about this special "break in" oil? When you drained the crankcase, what color was the 'used' oil that came out? What color would it have come out if it was 'traditional' oil?

Just a few questions, because I find this very intriguing.

</font>
I spoke to the ACURA Lead SAE certified mechanic at my dealer. He told me that ALL Honda/Acura's came from the factory with a "special" oil that aided seating of ciritical motor parts. The oil that came out of my car at 3500 miles was still golden in color. It looked like it contained no carbon at all. Even after 3500 miles. Traditional motor oil with 3500 miles on it will turn a dark brown. If a motor is running rich with a lot of carbon deposit it will even turn the oil black.

Old 01-16-2001, 10:46 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Uh-Oh................oh well I guess I won't worry. Mine was changed at around 1600 miles/3.6 months. It was in there a long time and not as golden as I would have liked to have seen for a new engine, actually a little too dirty. Acura said go ahead and change it-I did. It's still running fine.

------------------
CL-S Sundance Gold, TR Typhoon Wheels, Solaris 9005, guards, nose mask, V-1 & remote.
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...493&p=31386570
Old 01-17-2001, 02:17 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bone_stock:
I spoke to the ACURA Lead SAE certified mechanic at my dealer. He told me that ALL Honda/Acura's came from the factory with a "special" oil that aided seating of ciritical motor parts. The oil that came out of my car at 3500 miles was still golden in color. It looked like it contained no carbon at all. Even after 3500 miles. Traditional motor oil with 3500 miles on it will turn a dark brown. If a motor is running rich with a lot of carbon deposit it will even turn the oil black.

</font>
Don't take this the wrong way, but you really shouldn't believe everything you're told by your local Acura Technician.

BTW, SAE=Society of Automotive Engineers. You prolly meant to say ASE, which is short for Automotive Service Excellence (an organization that "certifies" auto techs in various areas). I'm a member of both organizations.

As for the golden color of your used motor oil-- What did you expect? A brand new engine with 3500 miles should NOT have dirty/black motor oil. I've got 15K miles on my CL-S and change my own oil every 3K miles. So far, every time I drain my "old" oil, it still looks golden. I don't expect this to change until the car starts to get some serious miles on it.

My point is this-- There's a lot of BS fairy tales told by many automotive technicians. Don't take their word as gospel. Opinions are like a$$holes: Everybody has one.

------------------
2 cars
Old 01-17-2001, 04:19 PM
Banned

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tom:
Don't take this the wrong way, but you really shouldn't believe everything you're told by your local Acura Technician.

BTW, SAE=Society of Automotive Engineers. You prolly meant to say ASE, which is short for Automotive Service Excellence (an organization that "certifies" auto techs in various areas). I'm a member of both organizations.

As for the golden color of your used motor oil-- What did you expect? A brand new engine with 3500 miles should NOT have dirty/black motor oil. I've got 15K miles on my CL-S and change my own oil every 3K miles. So far, every time I drain my "old" oil, it still looks golden. I don't expect this to change until the car starts to get some serious miles on it.

My point is this-- There's a lot of BS fairy tales told by many automotive technicians. Don't take their word as gospel. Opinions are like a$$holes: Everybody has one.

</font>
Oh no quite the contrary. The Factory motor oil I changed at 3500 was way more golden that the Quaker state non-synthetic I changed at 7000. The Quaker state I changed that had the same 3500 miles on it had turned brown where as the factory oil had not. As you know the chemical by product of internal combustion is carbon and water. Motor oil can not help but change color after x amount of miles due to left over carbon. There is no doubt in my mind that a "special" oil was put in the motor at the factory. However, you are correct in that I believe about half of what any one at Acura says. It's just that in this case what they said was verified by my own personal experience.