Does The CL-S Look That Much Better Lowered?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 02:44 PM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does The CL-S Look That Much Better Lowered?

I'm thinking of lowering the car with CompTech Springs. Does it look and perform better than the standard springs? I just don't want a hard ass ride. Thanks for your opinion.
Old 01-07-2003, 02:48 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
i think it looks like a completely different car
Old 01-07-2003, 02:48 PM
whoXwanXsum

lower it FOR SURE! i dont think comptech is worth it(not enough of a drop) get the pro kit from eibach. i have that and i want to be lower still...haha. i want my cls on the FLOOR!
Old 01-07-2003, 02:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it will look better... I haven't lowered mine yet though!
Old 01-07-2003, 03:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
It makes the car look like a different car....Loseit wasn't lying... it really does make a huge difference.

If you're worried about ride quality, go with the Comptech's or the H&R Sport or OE drop. Personally I'd go either Comtech or H&R Sport since OE really doesn't drop much at all. Either of those two have been reported to give a very close to stock ride. I have the H&R Sports, but I have 18" rims... so my ride is a tad rougher b/c of the two. On stock rims/tires, you'll be happy with either....
Old 01-07-2003, 03:09 PM
Quicksilver

Makes a world of difference Pappy. I look at the pic from the day I bought and now--doesn't compare. That wheel well gap was bad, now much more low profile, more aerodynamic. Oh,and i have Eibachs--the best.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:41 PM
What, me drive fast?

I am planning to do the Comptech springs (in fact I sent an email to the dealership to arrange it this morning). From what I have seen, the drop makes that car look a lot better. I am too afraid to do a more agressive drop since the roads in the Boston area are littered with holes and I am afraid the ride would be too jarring.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 582 Likes on 346 Posts
it makes a very noticable difference.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:05 PM
Drifting

Definitely worth it! It's like a 30% change in looks and performance!
Old 01-07-2003, 04:18 PM
Racer

we need some before and after pics.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:37 PM

ANY car looks better lowered. Any car looks better with bigger wheels. The 2 together can give your car a whole new look. The CL looks better dropped.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:38 PM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
The CL looks much, much better dropped. I've got the Comptech springs and the car looks and rides so much better because of them.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:02 PM
6SPDCLS

My short review of Comptech springs

here's my review of the comptech springs/sways...

Originally, I was hesistant like you on whether or not to drop the height on my 01 CLS. I was worried about the stiffness and the ride quality of the lowered 01 CLS. After seeing many pictures of the 01 CLS' lowered, I couldn't stand looking at the stock ride height and wheel gaps (F/R). I went ahead and bought the springs and sways from Comptech.

After the 3 day install (cause fucking dealer sux..), I drove it off the lot....THE FIRST THING I NOTICED WAS THE STEERING BEHAVIOR. It was very very light and somehow it made a big difference in how the wheel felt. As I left the lot of the dealer, I cornered my first corner for the first time and let me tell you something....WITH THE SPRINGS AND THE SWAYS IT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE. I was swinging in and out of lanes on the highway with ease and the car feels so much more stable than stock. I was able to corner like never before!! TRUST ME ON THIS ONE: IT IS WORTH THE MONEY ***IF*** AND ONLY IF YOU DON'T MIND THE CHANGE IN RIDE QUALITY. With about 6 months or so on the springs and sways, I could really feel the weight of this car. Even though the springs/sways worked its magic on the road, you can feel the weight of the car and how much harsher the ride quality is...I'll elaborate on that below. All in all, the wheel gap in the front was almost gone..and the rear was slightly visible..well, you can see some wheel gap..but it's a performance style wheel gap vs. stock SUV wheel gap (fucking HONDA sucks...).

The reason I say it felt "harsh" is because after trading in the 01 CLS for the 6speed 03 (stock ride), I could totally notice the change in ride quality. Even with the stock sways in place, the ride was very light and made the car "feel lighter" than my 01 CLS. The problem started to show up after owning this 6speed after 6 months again. Now the wheel gap seems to be bigger than the STOCK TLS and CLS (01-02). I can't believe how big the front wheel gap is...! I'm going to get some good aftermarket struts to replace the OEM's when I reinstall my 01 comptech springs. I've already gotten the comptech sways on my 6speed but it doesn't help THAT MUCH compared to lowering the car.

You will notice a rougher/heavier feel of the car when you get it lowered with comptech springs/sways. BUT you will gain so much more handling...it's a sacrafice for ride quality..it's not THAT BAD but you will notice it..especially when going over uneven surfaces...just make sure you do AFTERMARKET STRUTS..I don't think the OEM struts rebound/dampen correctly with the comptech springs. You will bounce a bit when going over uneven parts on the highway. And guess what, if you didn't have rattles before, shiet, you will probably get them after lowering with springs/sways. I know I did (the driver side door frame/sunroof).

So don't hesistate on purchasing the springs/sways. Go with the comptechs if you have doubt about ride quality. It won't be that bad cause the drop isn't that drastic. Also, you will have minor camber issues with the comptech's..since the drop is so little. Just make sure you get some aftermarket struts since you are going to install anyway, might as well do it right the first time. I spent about $800 in installs at the dealer..and after that experience, I will never again get raped at the dealership...

I will reinstall the comptech springs and this time I will install some aftermarket struts...I want to get it right this time around. It will be worth it....SO GO FOR IT! You will have a better looking more sporty CLS!! FUCK YOU HONDA/ACURA for making this "sports" car's wheelgap so fucking wide!! What the hell is the matter with you car designers!??! I've never seen bigger wheel gaps than on this car compared to everything else out there that is "sports" classified. EXCEPT FOR FORD MUSTANGS....
Old 01-07-2003, 05:40 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,421 Posts
Comptech

Originally posted by juniorbean
It makes the car look like a different car....Loseit wasn't lying... it really does make a huge difference.

If you're worried about ride quality, go with the Comptech's or the H&R Sport or OE drop. Personally I'd go either Comtech or H&R Sport since OE really doesn't drop much at all. Either of those two have been reported to give a very close to stock ride. I have the H&R Sports, but I have 18" rims... so my ride is a tad rougher b/c of the two. On stock rims/tires, you'll be happy with either....
I went with Comptech Springs and Sways..Tokico OE Struts and 18' Whls and Tires...A WHOLE DIFFERENT CAR!!! Ride quality is still there but I agree with the above...stock wheels and tires, you will barely notice a difference in ride.
Happy Motoring!
Old 01-07-2003, 06:18 PM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Re: My short review of Comptech springs

Originally posted by DDT-TypeS
here's my review of the comptech springs/sways...

Originally, I was hesistant like you on whether or not to drop the height on my 01 CLS. I was worried about the stiffness and the ride quality of the lowered 01 CLS. After seeing many pictures of the 01 CLS' lowered, I couldn't stand looking at the stock ride height and wheel gaps (F/R). I went ahead and bought the springs and sways from Comptech.

After the 3 day install (cause fucking dealer sux..), I drove it off the lot....THE FIRST THING I NOTICED WAS THE STEERING BEHAVIOR. It was very very light and somehow it made a big difference in how the wheel felt. As I left the lot of the dealer, I cornered my first corner for the first time and let me tell you something....WITH THE SPRINGS AND THE SWAYS IT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE. I was swinging in and out of lanes on the highway with ease and the car feels so much more stable than stock. I was able to corner like never before!! TRUST ME ON THIS ONE: IT IS WORTH THE MONEY ***IF*** AND ONLY IF YOU DON'T MIND THE CHANGE IN RIDE QUALITY. With about 6 months or so on the springs and sways, I could really feel the weight of this car. Even though the springs/sways worked its magic on the road, you can feel the weight of the car and how much harsher the ride quality is...I'll elaborate on that below. All in all, the wheel gap in the front was almost gone..and the rear was slightly visible..well, you can see some wheel gap..but it's a performance style wheel gap vs. stock SUV wheel gap (fucking HONDA sucks...).

The reason I say it felt "harsh" is because after trading in the 01 CLS for the 6speed 03 (stock ride), I could totally notice the change in ride quality. Even with the stock sways in place, the ride was very light and made the car "feel lighter" than my 01 CLS. The problem started to show up after owning this 6speed after 6 months again. Now the wheel gap seems to be bigger than the STOCK TLS and CLS (01-02). I can't believe how big the front wheel gap is...! I'm going to get some good aftermarket struts to replace the OEM's when I reinstall my 01 comptech springs. I've already gotten the comptech sways on my 6speed but it doesn't help THAT MUCH compared to lowering the car.

You will notice a rougher/heavier feel of the car when you get it lowered with comptech springs/sways. BUT you will gain so much more handling...it's a sacrafice for ride quality..it's not THAT BAD but you will notice it..especially when going over uneven surfaces...just make sure you do AFTERMARKET STRUTS..I don't think the OEM struts rebound/dampen correctly with the comptech springs. You will bounce a bit when going over uneven parts on the highway. And guess what, if you didn't have rattles before, shiet, you will probably get them after lowering with springs/sways. I know I did (the driver side door frame/sunroof).

So don't hesistate on purchasing the springs/sways. Go with the comptechs if you have doubt about ride quality. It won't be that bad cause the drop isn't that drastic. Also, you will have minor camber issues with the comptech's..since the drop is so little. Just make sure you get some aftermarket struts since you are going to install anyway, might as well do it right the first time. I spent about $800 in installs at the dealer..and after that experience, I will never again get raped at the dealership...

I will reinstall the comptech springs and this time I will install some aftermarket struts...I want to get it right this time around. It will be worth it....SO GO FOR IT! You will have a better looking more sporty CLS!! FUCK YOU HONDA/ACURA for making this "sports" car's wheelgap so fucking wide!! What the hell is the matter with you car designers!??! I've never seen bigger wheel gaps than on this car compared to everything else out there that is "sports" classified. EXCEPT FOR FORD MUSTANGS....
Hey DDT, thanks so much for that in detail report. You really covered all the issues.
Old 01-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
i wouldn't even want this car if it had to be stock height.

that's how big a difference it makes to me.

the ride will be stiffer, but much better. imo
Old 01-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Team Owner

Springs are GREAT !!!!
Go Sways too for the full package.

Maybe THIS will help change your mind.

Shawn S

Old 01-07-2003, 11:02 PM
Honkey

Why ruin a perfectly engineered car with lowering springs? I think CL's look goofy when they're lowered.

-Aaron
Old 01-07-2003, 11:15 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Shawn S
Springs are GREAT !!!!
Go Sways too for the full package.

Maybe THIS will help change your mind.

Shawn S

Shawn, in that firs pic, your car looks like 4pump's when it's locked up.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,476 Likes on 3,779 Posts
Pappy, by the tone of your posts in the past, I'm guessin' you're an older fella (like me 43). The ride described by DDT is spot on. You will feel bumps/expansion strips/speed bumps amplified as compared to the stock set up by I'd say a factor of 3-4. The look and more importantly the handling of the car as a tradeoff, are well worth it. I would never go back to stock now, never. I get looks even when I'm cruisin' stock wheels in the winter!
Old 01-08-2003, 08:00 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Originally posted by Chief F1 Fan
Pappy, by the tone of your posts in the past, I'm guessin' you're an older fella (like me 43). The ride described by DDT is spot on. You will feel bumps/expansion strips/speed bumps amplified as compared to the stock set up by I'd say a factor of 3-4. The look and more importantly the handling of the car as a tradeoff, are well worth it. I would never go back to stock now, never. I get looks even when I'm cruisin' stock wheels in the winter!
Chief, here's what's really on my mind. Back in 1985, I bought a new 5 speed Chevy IROC Z while it was still on the truck being delivered to the dealer. It was the first one in NE and had the H.O. engine with high lift cam and hugh 1000cfm carb. The freakin' suspension in that car was so stiff that if you ran over a quarter...you would know whether it was heads or tails. The ride was definately kidney jarring, but it handled extremely well and took the best corners ever. That was alright then. But now I'm 55 and while I still enjoy performance, I would prefer to do it on a lower level. As you can see, I just didn't want to duplicate the IROC ride and hence this inquiry.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Re: My short review of Comptech springs

Originally posted by DDT-TypeS
FUCK YOU HONDA/ACURA for making this "sports" car's wheelgap so fucking wide!! What the hell is the matter with you car designers!??! I've never seen bigger wheel gaps than on this car compared to everything else out there that is "sports" classified. EXCEPT FOR FORD MUSTANGS....
That was a great write up... but part of the last paragraph really makes no sense. Don't get me wrong.. I agree with you that the wheel gap sucks... but this is done for ride quality. You have to remember that Acura is selling hundreds of thousands of these cars. To appeal to such a broad audience they have to please that broad audience.

The TL-S is a mid-level luxury sedan and is designed with that in mind. Acura did NOT design the car for the enthusiast in mind. Approximately 1-2% of CL/TL owners actually mod their cars... the rest leave them bone stock for the life of the car. So why would they lower a car, making the ride rougher, just to please 1-2% of the buyers. You also have to realize that the CL/TL is targeted to buyers 40 years old and older. An overwhelming majority of that group (probably some 99.x%) would not want a rougher ride... heck... some of them even complain that the Type-S suspension is way to rough as it is (not so much here... but hop over to atl.com and do a search).

Bottom line is that I agree with you... the wheel gap is just silly on some cars.... but that's why there is a billion dollar aftermarket industry.... so we can customize our cars the way we want
Old 01-08-2003, 08:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
sorry but no before, just after shots. the car looks a whole lot lower with stock wheels. and even lower with a black car.

Old 01-08-2003, 08:49 AM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Lookin' good Rondog. I like what you did to the grill.
Old 01-08-2003, 09:10 AM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Before

After

Old 01-08-2003, 09:44 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Pappy,

try this link this is CL91724(?) car...this is the link i show everybody i talk to about springs....it is a great little picture story.
------------>the drop story (pictorial)
Old 01-08-2003, 02:57 PM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Originally posted by chikai
Before

After

Nice Chikai, thanks.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:59 PM
Do it! U Only Live Once!

Originally posted by Loseit
Pappy,

try this link this is CL91724(?) car...this is the link i show everybody i talk to about springs....it is a great little picture story.
------------>the drop story (pictorial)
Loseit, this story is fabulous and belongs in the achives. Thanks.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:59 PM
Burning Brakes

http://www-scf.usc.edu/~jong/pictures.htm
Old 01-08-2003, 06:31 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Or, you can just get rid of the Acura and get a sweet G35 Coupe, which sits just about right in stock form.

Compare stock ride heights:

Damn, those G35 Coupes are sweet!
Old 01-08-2003, 08:36 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,421 Posts
New pics just in!!!!

Originally posted by Tom2
Or, you can just get the Acura and ROLL OVER a sweet G35 Coupe, which sits just about right in stock form.

[
WOW...is that the new AWD Cl Type 4x4???