Does anyone have thier car shudder when they come to a stop????

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 02:38 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Does anyone have thier car shudder when they come to a stop????

My car has done it a couple of times..........I called the service department, and they said it could be the winterized gas. He said it can't be bad because the "check engine light" did not come on. I hope its not because of the CAI!!!
Old 03-02-2002, 02:53 PM
hater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like one of two things, both of which should happen when you're coming to a quick stop.

1. Front rotors are warped. Car shakes from side to side-to side under heavy breaking from moderate to high speeds.

2. Air Idle Control Valve has gone bad. Upon coming to a quick stop, the car will not downshift, RPMs will dip below 500 making the car sputter and appear like it's going to die. Sometimes, it will completely shut off. This valve controls the engine speed for the AT equipped cars so that your RPMs don't drop too low when stopping. Should feel exactly like being in too high of a gear in an MT car and not disengaging the clutch in time when stopping. This is happening to the late model AT Civics as well.
Old 03-02-2002, 07:44 PM
Fuct in the hed!

I know what warped rotors feel like........It's not that. How ca I tell if its the Idel air valve. The service advisor said if it was bad, the check engine light would come on. I went out earlier today to try and get it to do it and of course........it didn't. Could it be winterized gas like the service advisor said?
Old 03-02-2002, 07:54 PM
hater

Tell your jackass service advisor to call David McDavid Acura in Plano, TX. I had it go out and there is NO check engine light involved, PERIOD. It took my service department three days to figure it out.

That's the thing that kills me about most service people. They think that just because we white-collar folk don't do most of the work on our cars that we haven't a clue in the world what might be wrong. I was fortunate enough to be blessed with a fantastic advisor at DMD during the second year of owning my CL-S. He listened to me and got my problems fixed instead of making up shit.
Old 03-03-2002, 10:31 AM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by droideka
Tell your jackass service advisor

That's the thing that kills me about most service people. They think that just because we white-collar folk don't do most of the work on our cars that we haven't a clue in the world what might be wrong.
Nicky that "jackass" service advisor could be very right, oxygenated fuel can sometimes wreak havoc on emissions system
methyl tertiary-butyl ether levels differ from where it was produced, what time of year and what part of the country it is coming from.

although it could be something else also
Old 03-03-2002, 10:36 AM
www.drippinwet.com

its funny how someone can call another a jackass for a simple diagnosis over the phone, but the same person offers a diagnosis online at a forum

one of you could be right, or both of you could be wrong
Old 03-03-2002, 10:42 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Yeah, just like my ACTUATOR showed NO FUCKING ENGINE LIGHT OK ! IT TOOK THESE JACKASSES 3 DAYS, CALLS TO WAYNE TO FIGURE THAT I NEEDED A NEW ACTUATOR ! Give me a fooking break !
Old 03-03-2002, 10:48 AM
www.drippinwet.com

read the thread
Old 03-03-2002, 11:02 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
R I G H T !
Old 03-03-2002, 12:05 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Nicky Pass
I know what warped rotors feel like........It's not that.
Don't rule out warped rotors because you know what they feel like I warped my rotors @ 6k and I was having this problem @ 12k I was pretty sure it wasn't warped rotors because it didn't feel like it was but replacing the front pads and rotors fixed it.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:20 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Yes, but warped rotors would not make the RPMS fall to 500 and almost have the car die
Old 03-03-2002, 12:21 PM

Acura will try to blow you off until your warranty runs out and something major goes wrong.

They just wanna collect on us, and they hate to bite the bullett and pay outta their own pockets for warranty work.

Good luck trying to get it fixed.

I'm still in the middle of a 10 day wait for a new cd player and new interior door handles that peeled off.

Its always something with this car, and its always ridiculous.

LAST ACURA for me.
Old 03-03-2002, 12:24 PM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Yes, but warped rotors would not make the RPMS fall to 500 and almost have the car die
I had a similar situation, but it happened when I started the car....Dealer replaced Fuel Pressure Regulator and PCM.
Old 03-03-2002, 01:04 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by TypeSKid
Acura will try to blow you off until your warranty runs out and something major goes wrong.

They just wanna collect on us, and they hate to bite the bullett and pay outta their own pockets for warranty work.

Good luck trying to get it fixed.

I'm still in the middle of a 10 day wait for a new cd player and new interior door handles that peeled off.

Its always something with this car, and its always ridiculous.

LAST ACURA for me.
acura does not car how much they spend working on or replacing parts on your car

good.
Old 03-03-2002, 04:26 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would love to know how much moeny acura spent on warranty work on the CL/TL...

This is an direct indicator of the quality control of the US produced cars...
Old 03-03-2002, 04:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Its amazing on what gets blamed on oxygenated gas. In NJ they have been using it for years, and I never had a problem with it in any car I ran.
Old 03-04-2002, 02:31 AM
Advanced

RPM's dropping?

Consider the possibility that your torque converter is not unlocking when it should. It would be like a manual tranny when stopping with out pushing in the clutch. See the tranny failure section of this forum.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:12 AM
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Re: RPM's dropping?

Originally posted by WV250R
Consider the possibility that your torque converter is not unlocking when it should. It would be like a manual tranny when stopping with out pushing in the clutch. See the tranny failure section of this forum.
Wow.. this sounds like a very likely scenario... I had the same prob when the car was in Park/Neutral, which kinda discounts the faulty TC scenario..
Old 03-04-2002, 07:19 PM
Fuct in the hed!

I just talked to a friend of mine that has a CL, and his car does the same thing, and the dealr told him it was probably winterized gas...YES he goes to a different dealer.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:41 PM
hater

I just talked to a friend of mine that has a CL, and his car does the same thing, and the dealr told him it was probably winterized gas...YES he goes to a different dealer.
IT'S NOT THE FUCKING GAS!!! For fuck's sake! If it was the gas, how come we didn't have a rash of complaints last winter? I'm not yelling at you, dude, rather at your service department.

Tell your dealer to CALL David McDavid Acura in Plano, TX. It's the Air Idle Control Valve. It's not the torque converter either. That is a common mis-diagnosis specific to this problem. Listen, this is happening to the '01-'02 AT Civics as well. I know this because I joined a little Civic forum after picking up my wife's new sedan. I couldn't believe it when I read it, but it does seem to be a fact.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:42 PM
www.drippinwet.com

its probably not oxygenated fuel, it usually only causes minor drivability problems, not hard shudders, have it checked, although in extremly rare cases it may cause a problem as bad as yours but i think you have something else wrong, i don't blame someone for telling you about the fuel problem, but usually a different brand slightly different octane will usually change it if thats what it was, have your car checked
Old 03-04-2002, 11:15 PM
Fuct in the hed!

Don't think its a horrible shudder, my girlfriend was in the car, and she didn't even notice. It is very slight, but it does piss me off. It lasts for about a half a second.
Old 03-05-2002, 07:46 AM
Advanced

Well, to add more information to this thread, I had the same problem with my car last winter. It was very intermittent - only happend about five times all winter.
Since then I've moved back to CA (was in MA) and I haven't noticed the problem at all since.
I did mention it to the dealer when I took it in for other service. They couldn't replicate the effect, so they blew me off, like they always do whenever you can't make the car do exactly what you're talking about
They didn't give me the fuel excuse or anything, just told me they had no way to figure it out unless they could watch it do it.

Anyway, my problem has gone away ...for now at least.

Good luck
Old 03-05-2002, 01:57 PM
Advanced

Sounds like the same dealer crap that I am having here at Goodson Acura of Irving, TX.

Just recently I was having moisture problems in one headlight, Goodson told me, "your lights are not broken, that's the way they they work" I was like bull, there is a broken seal or something. It took me 4 trips to the same dealer complaining about the same problem for them to finaly replace one headlight. I think "droideka" is right, take the car back and demand they replace it. Better safe than sorry.

I currently have 45K miles and am worried on what is going to pop up after my warranty goes out.

Faulty Problems so far:

Tranny
Actuator
Navi
Driver Window Motor
Windsheild Seal
Head light moisture
Dark Paint spots all over car (they offered to repaint only that part)
Shutter (need to take in)
Rough start (still not fixed)
Broken Driver seat
Broken pass seat heater
Trunk rattle
peeling leather seats on both sides

I've taken the car in so much I don't even remember half the shit that was broken.

But "drodeka" is right sounds alot like the Air Idle Control Valve. I think mine is going also