Do Nothing.... Sooner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2001, 10:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do Nothing.... Sooner?

I can't believe that's the best thing they could come up with! Acura needs a better advertising company. They should hire the guys from Nissan that made the Frontier commercials. Show the CL-S in action doing something fun. What crowd are they targeting, a do nothing with a 260hp car group? I don't get it....

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
-Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Prolarg M-6 lamps
Planning: Comptech Headers, Sways, CAI
Old 03-02-2001, 10:55 AM
Soon to be, fairly famous

They are using the same strategy IBM did when they were pitting the existing OS/2 Warp against the non-existent Windows 95... a strategy which cost them the OS war...

dee

------------------
PimpDaddy Gold, Deep Tint, BAAAAAD Attitude
Old 03-02-2001, 11:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well, I'd agree that the commercials are lame, but look who this car is targeted at (and who the majority of the buyers are!) This is a luxury coupe aimed at retired baby-boomers. What do retired people like to do.... NOTHING

I bet the majority of the buyers of this car don't find anything wrong with the commercials... they probably even relate to them on some levels. All of us here are the anomalies... we're not even supposed to be interested in this car, yet we love it more than anyone!!!!

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sway Bars
Comptech Headers
PIAA 19169
Old 03-02-2001, 11:37 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GoldTypeS:

I bet the majority of the buyers of this car don't find anything wrong with the commercials... they probably even relate to them on some levels. All of us here are the anomalies... we're not even supposed to be interested in this car, yet we love it more than anyone!!!!

</font>

so true...the majority of us on this board don't fit the target profile Acura had imagined would purchase this car...

------------------
Astroboy out...
2001 Acura CL Type S: Comptech: Headers, filter, sways, springs, koni shocks, goodridge braided brake lines, full kicker system
1996 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo: H&R Springs and sways, Bilstein shocks
Old 03-02-2001, 11:53 AM
Acura_CL

I think Acura totally missed the target group when they did those. They expected retirees to buy this car. But, maybe those retirees aren't on this board. I don't know of any accurate demographics on who seems to be purchasing this car. Tell you the truth, around here the oldster car of choice is the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis and Continental.

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...698&a=11616550
Red 3.2 CL-S.
"Life is too short not to be Italian." -Paul Sorvino
Old 03-02-2001, 12:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well, I'd agree that the commercials are lame, but look who this car is targeted at (and who the majority of the buyers are!) This is a luxury coupe aimed at retired baby-boomers. What do retired people like to do.... NOTHING

</font>
I guess I have different views of my retirement. I do not plan on doing NOTHING

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Old 03-02-2001, 12:49 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Tell you the truth, around here the oldster car of choice is the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis and Continental.

Not here in California ! Very little American made crappy cars ! Mostly from abroad (European and Japanese)

------------------
2001 CL Type S Black/Ebony w/NAVI, PIAA bulbs, Tinted windows, JL Sub-woofer/Fosgate 250 watt amp, otherwise pure stock
1998 Accord Coupe EX-V6
Black Currant Pearl, PIAA bulbs, tinted windows, Fosgate 500 watt amp, Eclipes 6X9's,JL Sub-woofer, otherwise PURE stock !
Old 03-02-2001, 01:32 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GoldTypeS, Re: "What do retired people like to do.... NOTHING" I have to bite my tongue here; your comment indicates a callow & naive existence. Retirement can be all about doing nothing. My heart goes out to you if that's what's on your plate. Retirement can also be about nice toys to play with, a fast red CL-S for instance. It's primarily about the removal of organizational structure from one's life.
Now with that said, I'm going to logoff, stuff my new K-2's into the little red car (great little trick door between the trunk & back seat), and go check out last night's new snow on the mountain ...... I'm retired!
Ciao
PS. WTF is this commercial you're talking about; on TV right? Watching TV is pretty much like doing nothing .... don't have time for it.
Old 03-02-2001, 01:55 PM
Intermediate

I haven't seen any commercials, so I can't comment about them. I have a hard time believing that the CL-S was targeted at retirees. The older retirees I know seem to like 4 doors.

Being closer -- but not close enough -- to retirement age, I agree with tsg77. The confines of working are keeping me from a whole lot of "doing nothing" I'd like to do, including spending more time driving my car and less time in the office.

------------------
2001 CL Type S
Silver
Just like it came from the dealer (except an ashtray)
Old 03-02-2001, 02:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hopefully we will all be more active in our retirements. I just wish our moto was something cooler..... Any ideas???

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Old 03-02-2001, 03:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tsg77:
GoldTypeS, Re: "What do retired people like to do.... NOTHING" I have to bite my tongue here; your comment indicates a callow & naive existence. Retirement can be all about doing nothing. My heart goes out to you if that's what's on your plate. Retirement can also be about nice toys to play with, a fast red CL-S for instance. It's primarily about the removal of organizational structure from one's life.
Now with that said, I'm going to logoff, stuff my new K-2's into the little red car (great little trick door between the trunk & back seat), and go check out last night's new snow on the mountain ...... I'm retired!
Ciao
PS. WTF is this commercial you're talking about; on TV right? Watching TV is pretty much like doing nothing .... don't have time for it.
</font>
Geez..... y'all are WAY too literal!

Let me clarify that I'm speaking of how retirement is generally more laid back than your younger years. You don't HAVE to go to work, you don't HAVE to do anything if you don't want. Retirement is all about choices. I don't plan on doing "nothing" when I retire either, but the important thing is... I can if I want to. I think that's what the commercials are trying to say... relax... sit back... do what ever the hell you want!

Old 03-02-2001, 03:18 PM
Drifting

Commercial or not..I love my Type S!!! =)
Old 03-02-2001, 03:44 PM
Burning Brakes

</font>
Ugh … Actually I thought the CL buyer niche was supposed to be "empty nest baby boomers", all of which are not all retired. Empty nest being a loose translation for "kids off at college". Hard to retire with that on your plate. Do you think that the ditsy lady with her hands on the moonroof lid, along with her swimming bf are retired? If they are then I'm all for it.

------------------
"01" CL Type-S
White\Black
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sways
Navigation System
Burlwood Shifter
Guards+Fenderwell Trim
Smokers Package
My Car
Old 03-02-2001, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Al Uminum:
Ugh … Do you think that the ditsy lady with her hands on the moonroof lid, along with her swimming bf are retired? If they are then I'm all for it.

</font>
She was holding the moonroof because the rattling was driving her nuts!!!

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
Old 03-02-2001, 04:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Al Uminum:
Ugh … Actually I thought the CL buyer niche was supposed to be "empty nest baby boomers", all of which are not all retired. </font>
You're right, Al... it is targeted towards the empty nester and not all of them are retired. But at least in my area, the only time I EVER see a CL, it is being driven by someone who is definitely old enough to retire if they aren't already. The people are always 60+ yrs old. And no, that's NOT because there's a million old people in AZ. The % of old people out here only goes up in the winter. And since Tucson likes to pass a new tax aimed at the snowbirds every year, I think the city has finally pissed them all off enough to stay away completely! But our new baseball stadium kicks butt