DIY: Mugen Cooling Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 03:13 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
DIY: Mugen Cooling Mods

I caught some cold or flu , off from work, and decided to throw in my cooling mods. Since there was never any detailed instructions, here are some for your enjoyment.

If you don't know what this is, use the search function, or visit the FAQ.

First off, please do this while the engine is cold! Like, right when you wake up after a Saturday night's out at the bar. Also, don't take your time on this installation, introducing air into your cooling system is bad.

Tools:
10mm Ratchet with 3-6inch extension
Open Spanner Wrench or Monkey Wrench
Honda Coolant
Mugen Mods (thermostat, fan switch, rad cap, and Redline Water Wetter [not necessary but sure helps])

1. Obtain a large splash pan and place it directly under the engine, closest to the driver's wheel.

2. Remove the engine cover. You'll see your work area under the throttle body, where the lowest radiator hose attaches to.

3. Unhook the fan switch connector and push aside. Remove the fan switch with Spanner/Monkey wrench (pictured with circle). COOLANT will come out!

4. Now replace it with the Mugen fan switch. DO NOT connect the connector yet.

5. Now, using your 10mm ratchet with extension, locate the two bolts your have to remove. Figure out your hand positioning BEFORE unbolting, as this is a pretty tight space to work in. Unbolt the bolts. A SHIT LOAD OF COOLANT will come out.

6. Take into consideration the alignment of the T-stat, the nipple must point 12 o'clock. Remove the T-stat. EVEN MORE COOLANT will come out. Quickly remove the STOCK rubber gasket and put it on your Mugen T-Stat (the Mugen's T-Stat will NOT fit)

7. Replace with Mugen T-Stat /w Stock rubber gasket.

8. Bolt everything back up and reconnect your fan switch connector. Make sure bolts are tight, but DON'T overtighten.

9. Remove stock radiator cap. Empty your Redline Water Wetter and fill with Honda coolant to the top.

10. Start car, let idle until normal operating temp. Keep an eye out on your temp. guage!

11. Squeeze the two big radiator hoses to remove the air from your system. Add more coolant as necessary.

12. Turn on heater to maximum heat and maximum fan. Add more coolant as necessary and squeeze lines.

13. When no more bubbles escape, top off coolant and recap with Mugen Cap.

14. Clean up your mess, dispose of radiator fluid PROPERLY. Drive around and make sure your temp guage doesn't sky rocket (if it does, you didn't get all the air out). Recheck for leaks.

Enjoy the ride and slight increase in hp/tq.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:29 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should've invited me to witness this install, I could've took the pictures. :P

Good job,
Eddie.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:31 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Edddie
You should've invited me to witness this install, I could've took the pictures. :P

Good job,
Eddie.
Thanks Ed. But you're too busy munching on Japanese food and betting on horses. Are we splitting the winnings so I can get my S/C?
Old 10-30-2004, 03:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Copied to FAQ/Archives

I copied this to the FAQ/Archive.

Good job

Hopefully, the image hosting site hangs around for a while...
Old 10-31-2004, 03:29 AM
Enjoy the Ride

good job Dustin! Bet you can't wait for the headers!
Old 10-31-2004, 12:13 PM
Sold but not Forgotten...

Excellent Work Bro... Pics will really help me with the install