DIY: custom intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DIY: custom intake

Don't post on here much but i lurk around alot

Dont have a lot of money so i made my own custom intake out of a 3" tube 3 3" clamps, and some duct tape. I also purchased a rubber 3" into 4" connector. Total cost for this whole project = $18.

On to the ghettoness

Note: i took out the resonator earlier this year so i dont have a write up on how to remove it but im sure if you do a search you can find it.

Remove the screws and the various clips that hold the underbody plastic in place so you can get access.

here are all the required parts laid out

thats the rubber connector, this is an area of improvement, i originally purchased this because i thought it had more area to take in air to create a ram air effect but i later found out it wont fit, so i think a elbow connetor would work better

your gonna need two of these

thats the view up into the air filter box

i dont have a pic of the little rubber piece that came off the resonator connecting it too the filter box, but your going to need it as it will make connecting the tube to the filter box much much easier. your going to have to cut the tube as shown becuase i coudlnt find a way to jam it into the rubber connector.

put all the flaps around the rubber connector and put the clamp over it and tighten it.

there are some holes as it is not a complete seal, so i had to duct tape everything up to cover the leaks.

connect the end to the entry of the airbox, your gonna need another clamp up there because it wont stay by itself.

connect the 3" into 4" rubber connector to the other end and stick it wherever you want. i put it behind the lower half of the grille.

thats it

i havent tried it out yet because its raining outside and i just washed my car, but i think there will be slight gains vs not having it because before with the resonator out it was pulling in hot air from the engine bay. i dont know if this thing will suck up water, any input on this? i think im also gonna put some mesh wire in there to prevent large debris from going in.

hope this helps some of you out
Old 11-16-2005, 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

edit: didn't see where it was hooking up to. i would still put some kind of filter on there and figure out a way to secure it inside the front bumper
Old 11-16-2005, 07:50 PM
Instructor

wow, duct tape......
Did you connect that tube to the airbox or letting it run air with no filter?
With more time and better ideas u could have dones something nicer, imo
Old 11-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Advanced

bottom of the airbox, where the resonator was connected to, yes the filter is still there.....
Old 11-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Old&CnL

If you look in the RV supplies at Wal-Mart, you will find a 3" to 3" sewer hose plastic coupler that fits into the stock grommet under the filter box. $2.50, then just clamp with 4" hose clamps. Clean, cheap. With gutter guard cut a screen for the front intake to keep out big stuff, then splurge and buy a $40.00 K&N high flow filter.

I have re-done mine several times; I expanded to a 4" PVC tube after the right angle, and took that up to the bumper area. Put a screen on it there. i also dumped the road lamps, put in 03 fairings, and cut away the driver's side for more air direct flow.

Keep refining, it's a blast.

PS- better pick up extra plastic snaps for the fender well- they break easily. Acura charges $2 eac for them, but what the heck.

Old 11-16-2005, 08:53 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Though more expensive, I would use PVC piping..... I did that on my last car and it worked pretty well...
Old 11-16-2005, 10:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NiteQwill
Though more expensive, I would use PVC piping..... I did that on my last car and it worked pretty well...
never use pcv pipe when it heats up it will gas out and will run the o2 sensor be releasing toxic fumes into the engine.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:17 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by civicking
never use pcv pipe when it heats up it will gas out and will run the o2 sensor be releasing toxic fumes into the engine.
Meh, if PVC piping can withstand the pressure and temperature of autoclaves at my work, I think I'm fine. PVC piping only melts in the presence of acetone or acrylic.

My Volkwagen has 80K+ miles with the PVC piping... no failure or engine problems.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:08 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Wow.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Racer

Sorry but I didnt know this much rice existed in ACURAZINE forums, lol.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Advanced

its been done many time before with different materials