dissapointed with comptech and sc

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dissapointed with comptech and sc

i was having idling trouble and poor performance. so, i took the car ('02 tl-s) to the dealer (south coast acura). they get on the phone with comptech and as in other threads, comptech recommends soldering the esm connectors. problem solved. however, the dealer has charged me $270. they called comptech and comptech so far has refused payment.

it seem to me that the connectors are faulty, or at least unreliable and therefore comptech should pick up the tab. i'm expecting a call back from them but this has me burning a bit

hopefully, i'll get to post that comptech stepped up to the plate.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Your dealer is raping you. Assuming they are charging $90 an hour, thats 3 hours of work. No way soldering a bunch of connectors takes 3 hours.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Burning Brakes

I agree it is expensive but how does that absolve Comptech's responsibility? The dealer installed the sc. I did this to keep everything as clean as possible. They have honored the tranny warranty with two replacements since the sc install.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:25 PM
Girls luv me Guys hate me

Originally Posted by TopGum
I agree it is expensive but how does that absolve Comptech's responsibility? The dealer installed the sc. I did this to keep everything as clean as possible. They have honored the tranny warranty with two replacements since the sc install.
w/ both of you. However, it does seem that Comptech is responsible, if it is faulty equipment. I hope that you get this situation resolved Keep us posted
Old 05-25-2005, 08:47 PM
Suzuka Master

How long ago was the kit installed? All the recent ESMs have used solder connectors. If its an older kit, yea, I would be upset with Comptech, but if its a newer one, I would be pist at the installer.

Although it must be an older kit since you went through two trannies with it.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
How is it faulty equipment? Comptech now says in their instructions to solder the ESM. Incorrect installation is NOT Comptech's fault.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mrsteve
How is it faulty equipment? Comptech now says in their instructions to solder the ESM. Incorrect installation is NOT Comptech's fault.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Team Owner

Old 05-25-2005, 09:30 PM
Team Owner

If the kit was new when it was installed it is the installer's fault for not following the instructions properly. If the kit was used (i.e., old ESM instructions) it is your fault for either:
a) not researching first to realize the connections need soldered; and/or
b) not telling the installer to solder the connections/check to be sure the connections were soldered when you picked the car up following the install.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:42 PM
Burning Brakes

I had the kit installed august 2003. The instructions at the time were to use the connectors. The only thread I see with a "solder and connector " search is:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...der+connectors

This was posted May 2004. No problems until the last few months.

I recently had to return my IceBox because the elbow came unglued. Comptech replaced the elbow at no charge.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:50 PM
Team Owner

Where was it installed?

The updated install instructions came out in July of 2004. Nothing to be dissapointed about nor should Comptech be to blame at all. They updated their install procedures to fix this problem which arose after many many kits had been purchased and installed.

If you didn't re-install the ESM based on these updated instructions from Comptech, you are at fault.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:51 PM
Team Owner

Oh and a soldering iron and some solder costs about $30. You could have bought one and done it yourself. After all, it is only 4 wires.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Suzuka Master

thats a damn shame...... CT is not at fault...... You had the ESM installed without any problem.. UNTIL RECENTLY.... I am sure there are plenty of people out there that do not have the ESM soldered....

FYI:.. I was the one who contacted CT and told them those connections needed to be soldered and they should change their directions.... and they did..
Old 05-25-2005, 09:58 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Smitty

FYI:.. I was the one who contacted CT and told them those connections needed to be soldered and they should change their directions.... and they did..
:patonback:
Old 05-25-2005, 09:59 PM
Suzuka Master

ahhh the power of the intra-web...

live and learn

chaulk it up and start reading the forum more often...
Old 05-25-2005, 09:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Where was it installed?
The dealer
The updated install instructions came out in July of 2004
Thank you! That's the info I'm looking for. If those were the instructions, then I need to speak with the service manager.

I'm not skilled in soldering.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Team Owner

Even though you had the SC installed prior to the instruction's revision I still don't see how anyone other than you being responsible for the soldering. The dealership didn't know the connections needed to be soldered at the time of the install, they followed the instructions as they were written at the time of the install. After updated instructions were released it is your choice to follow them or not. It wasn't a "recall."
Old 05-25-2005, 10:10 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm talking to both parties. Thanks for the background in the timing of instruction changes. The warranty is two years and I believe this falls under the warranty.
Old 05-25-2005, 10:29 PM
Suzuka Master

the warranty for a failed part is 2 years and if you have a higher boost pulley, you have No warranty on the blower unit or parts.

no part failed on you... I do not see how you can claim it is the dealer or Comptech's fault...

but I totally agree with you.. your dealer is a dick for charging you that kind of money...seriously tell them to put the car back to the way it was and leave that place...

go to any Stereo/Car Audio shoppe with directions in hand and ask them to solder it for 10 bucks...
Old 05-25-2005, 10:34 PM
Team Owner

Yeah honestly it takes about 20 minutes to solder the 4 wires.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Smitty
the warranty for a failed part is 2 years and if you have a higher boost pulley, you have No warranty on the blower unit or parts.

no part failed on you... I do not see how you can claim it is the dealer or Comptech's fault...

but I totally agree with you.. your dealer is a dick for charging you that kind of money...seriously tell them to put the car back to the way it was and leave that place...

go to any Stereo/Car Audio shoppe with directions in hand and ask them to solder it for 10 bucks...
HEY us dealers got to eat too.
Old 05-27-2005, 08:34 AM
Banned

But seriously if you take your car to the dealer or anywhere get a quote. In the case of an electrical repair the most reasonable request could turn out to be a nightmare (my experience) so we charge an automatic 1 hour including solder and supplies.

If money was an issue then you should of asked them to get authorization for anything above 1 hours labour. If you just hand your car over and say fix it, you just gave them a ball to run with. Unfortunately warranty usually only covers parts, not labour on a dealer aftermarket install, depending on how long it is after the install.

Sorry about your luck but some of it could have been advoided. :rippedoff
Old 05-27-2005, 09:49 AM
Male Jiggalo?

About your situation: MrSteve is right, but I dont agree on his Tact. Its niether the dealers or CT's fault. Im not saying your at fault either you might not of known. Ignorance about something though isnt an excuse. I never would have known about the Tranny issues if I didnt start looking online for Communities like this. So ya it sucks, just do a little reasearch and try to find updated info from the companies yours mods came from for things like this.

My is as follows

If money was an issue then you should of asked them to get authorization for anything above 1 hours labour
This is the best thing to do period. Anytime you take your car into a shop or a dealer for them to look at it, alot of people give the car over and say "This is whats wrong or what I hear or feel, fix it" The car shops / dealers then go in and can find like 10 things wrong, little things but time consuming things. Labor hrs add up with parts and everything else. A small issue ends up costing you, your right arm, left testicle (or breast for you ladies) and your Soul. Always make them ASK you for Authorization to do anything. Then if they do any work you didnt agree to, thats on them and you dont hafta pay for it. If you didnt sign on the dotted line to get it done, your good to boot.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:41 PM
Burning Brakes

well lesson learned. at least nate at comptech called me back. multiple calls to the dealer went unanswered? i'll need to be more careful next time. the car is running better. no more stalling in intersections...

except for pinging at wot. i tried mixing 100 and 91 (1/2 n 1/2)but it's still doing it. standard pulley on the sc. i've researched disconnecting the imrc. maybe this is the answer. where can i get specifics on what it looks like, where it is and how to safely disconnect it. remember i'm a novice at this stuff. tia. -steve
Old 06-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by TopGum
i've researched disconnecting the imrc. maybe this is the answer.
you are correct... the IMRC is the culprit of your detonation.

You know where your Intake Manifold is?...it is right behind it.. all you have to do is pull the plug.

okay let me try this... you know the elbow coming OUT of the Supercharger.. well it is connected to your intake manifold.... take your black plastic engine cover OFF and look directly behind it... ABOVE your rear bank of headers.... the plug will be right there.. Unplug it.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Burning Brakes

think i got it. it sits right below the stock strut brace. a two connector plug. the "box" has a wire running to a spring loaded "wheel" on the left side of the IM. it's siitting more above the cylinder head not so far down by the headers, correct? i wrapped both the plug and receptical with some electrical tape. thanks again.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:06 PM
Suzuka Master

correct....
Old 06-13-2005, 03:21 PM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Fortunately, I live close enough to CompTech, I took my car (CLS 6MT) into them and they soldered in the ESM connections. They also did several dyno runs afterward. They didn't charge me a cent for everything. You're dealer really took it to you. As far as the crimp type wiring install, if the correct type of crimping tool (ratchet type - matched to terminal type) is used, soldering wouldn't be necessary. But most installers use the cheap type all-purpose crimp tool that doesn't do a proper crimp. So solder is now the recommended method for connecting the ESM. If the dealer had done a proper crimp job on the ESM wiring, you wouldn't have had any problems.