Disappointed in my CL-S

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2001, 08:29 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude, don't feel bad. I raced my wife in her 2001 325 and I won (obviously) but it wasn't by as much as I would have expected. I was totally disappointed too. What you have to remember is 1)BMWs are REALLY good cars, the germans know how to put cars together, they know how to get power to the wheels 2) 330's cost around $41K semi-loaded (we almost got one when we got the 325). That's an easy $10K diff. from sticker to sticker. I don't know how long you have had your CL but when I first got mine I thought I had like a Japanese muscle car. I was trying to race everyone- until I got my ass handed to me by some unlikely victors. I learned to be humble. Take solice in this: we have very unique cars despite the "bland" label that has been placed on us. You don't see too many, especially not w/ mods. My CL-S w/ 18's and dropped 1.75" looks soooo tight, I get looks all day long - long looks like what F kind of car is that! When I drive my wife's car here in Orange County, CA I'm just one of a million yuppies in the 3 series. Our cars don't fall into the "responsive" or "peppy" catagory at all, they can't even make a u-turn in one swoop(I hate that!). It's a good car for the money and that's about it. I don't know about everyone else but the longer I have this car the more I realize the performance is nil for the most part, very average. The best way to describe a CL-S is "Best buy for the $$$" BTW not downing our cars just coming back down to earth from where I was maybe 3 mos ago...

------------------
01 CL TYPE S: BLK/EBONY, NAVI, SITTING ON MASITALY SAGITTA 18'S W/ NITTO 235-40-18'S AND EIBACH SPORT SPRINGS.
Old 04-17-2001, 09:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm... I went back and you got beaten by the 330 with AUTO TRANNY !!!!!!!

Get rid of the wheels, get rid of the wheels.

Or get your car checked out.

The Bimmer had the advantage of the weight being transferred to the rear wheels (which is better), but when I looked more carefully at this set of replies, I think you must have lead wheels.

I'd race this guy at the track if he was in CA (and I don't have the headers and CAI installed just yet).

When I put on the SSRs, it felt like I dumped a load out the window.

Are we getting our chains pulled here?

OR

1. Can you get the weight on those wheels?
2. Get the car checked at the dealer.
3. Is the car broken in.

Something sounds very wrong.

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines ordered
  • Comptech headers & sways ready
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 6 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-17-2001, 10:07 PM
Lucky Kid Member

ok. A long time ago like, 4 or 5 months ago, we raced. He had his stock 17'' in wheels and so did i. the front of my car was like at his front wheels the whole way. Now, he has 18 inch MOMO sports and i have 18 Giovanna Coriscas. Im not sure how heavy my rims are, but they are chrome, so they probably way a ton each. sometime soon, im gonna put my stock rims back on and see if i do better with them and the intake. that way, i wont lose any HP to the wheels i will be gaining some. I got the 18inches and the 1.75 drop also, so i get the same looks, maybe even better looks because where i live, most people have rims on Civics or whatever, but not on a car like mine. All in all, I like the look of my car, and i like the reaction i get from people as they almost crash from looking at my car. I dont know how some of you people barely peel out. Are you rolling each time? Ever since i got my car last April, when @ a dead stop they have been able to peel out. I dunno, that doesnt matter. Ill just have to race him with the stock wheels, then ill update you guys on the outcome

------------------
www.mp3.com/djjdize
Ride: Silver '01 CL-S
Mods: springs, AEM CAI (Red)
Exterior: 18'' Giovanna's wearing Toyo T1-s 225/40/18 - PIAA 169's - Platinum Plus Tint
Interior: Blue Bulbs (doors, dome light)
Old 04-17-2001, 10:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool. Sounds like your car has plenty of power. Make sure you find a road that will give you plenty of traction. Didn't he have any problems with traction?

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech:Headers, Springs & Sways
AEM CAI
Toyo T1S Proxys 235/45/17
SSR Competition wheels 17x8
35% Llumar metallic tint
My Car
Old 04-17-2001, 10:47 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jdtypeS:
ok. A long time ago like, 4 or 5 months ago, we raced. He had his stock 17'' in wheels and so did i. the front of my car was like at his front wheels the whole way. Now, he has 18 inch MOMO sports and i have 18 Giovanna Coriscas. Im not sure how heavy my rims are, but they are chrome, so they probably way a ton each. sometime soon, im gonna put my stock rims back on and see if i do better with them and the intake. that way, i wont lose any HP to the wheels i will be gaining some. I got the 18inches and the 1.75 drop also, so i get the same looks, maybe even better looks because where i live, most people have rims on Civics or whatever, but not on a car like mine. All in all, I like the look of my car, and i like the reaction i get from people as they almost crash from looking at my car. I dont know how some of you people barely peel out. Are you rolling each time? Ever since i got my car last April, when @ a dead stop they have been able to peel out. I dunno, that doesnt matter. Ill just have to race him with the stock wheels, then ill update you guys on the outcome

</font>

As far as the "breaking loose issue" goes...

1. How many pounds of pressure are in your tires (I'm running 39 PSI and you have a reinforced casing -- the pressure helps.)
If I just mash the pedal, I get a quick rub (with the 235/45 17s (with/without the wheels) and I'm off (NO SQUEAL).

(You have the reinforced casing, you should be able to run a higher pressure -- 32 psi is not enough with the Toyos, at least in my size. Mine are wearing perfectly even.)

With the OEM tires, I could smoke 'em up like crazy on launch.

A little spin is ok, too much and it is not.

So, just to be clear -- If I'm stopped and really mash the pedal, I only get a short rub sound.

I'm sure the wheels look great. Sometimes looks and performance go together, sometimes not (it depends).

The heavy wheels WILL hurt your performance big time. The fact that you were well matched before with the 330 (or close) and are now behind, is a good real-world example of what the consequences of putting on heavy wheels are.

RE: Nice looking wheels:

And, yes I hear you. It is nice to have something special and "different" from the "crowd" (Your wheels probably look very sweet, but you are paying the price with that chrome).

You can get 18" wheels that are very light (Volks SE-37As and others that will help you move ahead of the 330, not behind it...)

You need to make that decision.

As I said, it is a very loose rule, very general, but you probably want to stay below the 22 lbs in an 18" wheel to not loose performance compared to the stock wheels. I think Astroboy said his Volks 18" wheels were about 15lbs.

So -- my guess == Way too heavy wheels...

(Ok, just my approximations and my opinions)

------------------
Silver 2001 CL-S with NAVI
  • Mud guards
  • Wheel locks
  • Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies on 17x8" SSR Competition wheels (48lbs less than stock)
  • Kevlar/SS Brake lines ordered
  • Comptech headers & sways ready
  • Silver AEM CAI ready
  • 6 coats of Zaino magic
Old 04-17-2001, 11:51 PM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dlp:
how much gas is in the tank? If you have 18" rims with good tires, and you are still squealing, it means there is not enough weight over the back tires to plant the rubber...

</font>
Backtires? CL-S? What are you talking about? the cl-s is FWD

Old 04-18-2001, 01:23 AM
Instructor

what do you guys mean exactly when you say launch correctly? it's an automatic, when i had a stick, yes taking it to about 3-4000 rpm and then dropping the clutch would work better but what are you suppose to do with an auto?

------------------
'01 CL-S black bone stock
with the best radar in the world, Valentine One
Old 04-18-2001, 01:59 AM
Racer

The BMW will win mainly because of lower more acceleration tuned gear ratios. Rear wheel drive cars can have lower gear ratios which make the engine spin faster because of the RWD. The less weight also helps...alot.
Old 04-18-2001, 02:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes lower gearing might help acceleration.
But it has nothing to do with RWD or FWD.
FWD can have low gearing all the same. It's
just our cars are not aggressively geared because it's supposed to be luxury sport and they were shooting for gas milage.
Old 04-18-2001, 03:17 PM
dlp
Instructor

jayru - obviously i meant front... it was a mistake that most people let slide. thanks for drililng it. The result of the thread has swtitched to the rims weight likely being at fault, but i appreciate you citing something from the past. I guess you have many successful relationships.

------------------
2001 CL Type S w/ NAV & Spoiler. San Marino Red/Parchment int. Purchased 2/28/01.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1584587&a=12058921