digital temp & odometer reading conversion capability?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
digital temp & odometer reading conversion capability?

I may have to take a longer trip through the US shortly and was wondering if it is possible to change the digital readouts on my dash ('01 CL S) from Cdn values in degrees centigrade and kilometers to the US values in degrees farenheit and miles.
The owner's manual simply states that Cdn cars give readings in Celcius and km and US cars give readings in Farenheit and miles but does not indicate how to change between the readings if you're driving in a different country.
I wasn't able to find any previous posts on this, however, if someone has a link if this was previoulsy discussed that would be great.
I imagine that some form of sequential button pushing with the 2 dash buttons to the right of the temp guage (odometer reset buttons) would likely achieve the conversion, but, since the owner's manual doesn't specify it, perhaps it is a technique that only Acura service people are given?
Anybody successfully managed to change their readings back and forth?
Old 04-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Miss th 3.0

you could call up acura and ask em, but they would prolly charge u to push a few buttons
Old 04-10-2004, 05:35 PM
Advanced

that's why I ask you guys/ladies first.
So, anyone, anyone? I feel like Ferris Bueller's teacher.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:53 AM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
Just multiply by 1.8 and then add 32.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:25 PM
Advanced

and multiply the km reading by 5/8 as well. However given that the car has a full complement of power accessories and its own computer system, I don't think I'm asking a lot for the car to be able to give me the appropriate readings. Cars from over 20 years ago could easily switch between Cdn. and US readings on their digital dashboards, so the technology is extremely old.
I'm as surprised that I appear to be breaking new ground with the question on this board as I am that Acura did not anticipate owners travelling in different countries and wanting to change their readings to local values.
Old 04-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Miss th 3.0

y cant you still use C in america arent you used to it more?? its not like when u get to the end of canada and enter the us it doesnt read ne more, but it should be able to do it
Old 04-11-2004, 04:10 PM
Advanced

Of course, anyone "can" make do with whatever reading you get and then convert it into something more meaningful.
More to the point, I'm reasonably sure there must be a way to have the car do it, I just don't know how and I would have thought this would have come up before and you guys/ladies would have figured it out a long time ago.
If I can go to the "All you ever wanted to know about your CL" and find out such trivia as "want to make your keyless entry beep when it's locking the car?" and "your outside passenger rear view mirror won't tilt down in reverse unless its parked in the middle toggle position and will tilt up again if you reverse too fast", I hoped to find out something like if I pushed the odometer reset button twice quickly while tilting the driver outside mirror down and reversing the power passenger seat rearwards, I'd be able to switch between Cdn and US values on the odo/temp readings.
I I'll call Acura tomorrow and see if I can pry the magic formula out of someone.
Old 04-11-2004, 04:12 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One would think that the values can be adjusted by the user, but I don't think it's possible.

I've not heard of someone doing this change and it's not listed in the shop manual (I just checked). My guess is that the metric system is part of the Canadian model's ECU firmware.

See if Acura or your service manager has something to say about this -- somehow I think they'll tell you you're SOL though.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:19 PM
Advanced

Well Slimey,
As you suspected, they weren't going to just roll over and give me the secret technique. Apparently it's guarded more closely than Colonel Sanders 17 secret herbs and spices. I was told in hushed tones, "Nobody's ever managed to do it before".
So, a worthy challenge to all the tekkie sophisticates here, and of course, significant bragging rights comes with breaking the code.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully they'll at least hear your voice and upgrade in future Acura models. There's no reason why the system should not up instantly switchable from metric to english.