Destroyed a Pontiac Firebird Formula Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 08:10 AM
boosted is best

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Destroyed a Pontiac Firebird Formula Coupe

Originally posted by dallison
don't they have em in cali?
Everywhere I've been in cali... way too many stop lights... make you wonder why they call them expressways...
Old 03-13-2004, 08:18 AM
boosted is best

Originally posted by Fast Gold
This is what i got from the guy

Im just waiting for him to send me more information about him so i can give it to u and u guys can meet up. By the way whats ur car color? Any special rims on it? How would the guy know u?
I'm leaving now, but may remotely check back here later today.
Not sure when we'll be done with the twisties, so I'm not sure I can make the Test N Tune from 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Do they run anything later? Also, we could always just meet up somewhere on the street and do a quick run.
Old 03-13-2004, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did post ur car description . I hope they find u there.
Old 03-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by darrinb
hes right, ls1's can dyno at around 310 stock, the only advantage u might have is gearing but they got u on the trq end

nice kill though
daainb's right. LS1 transAm's, formula birds, & Camaro SS's are underrated from the factory. They put out as much power as 'Vette. They're lighter than a cL-S too so they should be able to destroy even an s/c CL-S.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:54 PM
boosted is best

Originally posted by 24_karat
daainb's right. LS1 transAm's, formula birds, & Camaro SS's are underrated from the factory. They put out as much power as 'Vette. They're lighter than a cL-S too so they should be able to destroy even an s/c CL-S.
You're wrong about the weight of an '03 CLS 6MT, 1446 LBS. The 5AT is about 100 LBS. more.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:59 PM
boosted is best

I did post ur car description . I hope they find u there.
Just got back from the Sac Meet. By the time we ran the twisties and did lunch it was nearly 4pm. Since I never got the guy's ph # earlier this morning, I just headed back. Maybe next time. Thanks for the attempt to set things up.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by cls6sp03
Just got back from the Sac Meet. By the time we ran the twisties and did lunch it was nearly 4pm. Since I never got the guy's ph # earlier this morning, I just headed back. Maybe next time. Thanks for the attempt to set things up.
The guy was waiting at the track. He said u never showed up. Anyways there is another guy who is willing to run u on Wed. Tell me what u wanna do.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:54 PM
boosted is best

The guy was waiting at the track. He said u never showed up. Anyways there is another guy who is willing to run u on Wed. Tell me what u wanna do.
I did mention earlier that I couldn't guarantee I was going to make it to the track because of the conflict in times with the SacTown meet. That's why I asked for the guy's # so I could give him a call to hook up if things worked out. Sorry, I didn't realize he was going anyway to wait for me. Wed., S.J. to Sac, it's at least a 3 hour drive during the week. I couldn't get up to Sac until late in the evening (9-10PM) after work. I'd be open to something on a Saturday next month.
Old 03-13-2004, 10:03 PM
Suzuka Master

I'm still game.

But I don't know of a stock F-body in this region.
Old 03-14-2004, 05:05 PM
Selling Chicken Parts

Originally posted by scalbert

I'm still game.

But I don't know of a stock F-body in this region.
I got 2 problems: I'm not in that region and my F-Body is a stock LT1 6spd, not a LS1 4A.

Oh well
Old 03-15-2004, 07:06 AM
Suzuka Master

That's alright. As mentioned, I'll be heading to Atlanta Dragway soon and I'm sure there will be some F-bodies there I can run with.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I have an '03 CLS 6MT with CT i/sc/h/bp/e that dyno's at 305 WHP/262 FT-LBS TQ. I looked at the spec for a 5.7L V8 325 HP/340 TQ (crank rating) 6MT and I still think I'd walk away from a stock one. Our weight is about the same and I believe that I still have the advantage of HP/TQ with the S/C - IMHO.
Eh, the actual rating is 350hp/380tq, just like the Vette LS1 engine. On paper, it's underrated to make the Vette owners happy, but it's much the same engine underneath.

You've got a REALLY quick car, and it could have been a Formula. But it also could have been a bottom level Firebird. They look exactly the same except for an extra pipe on the right side.

Nonetheless, good race.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:25 PM
boosted is best

Originally posted by Pure Adrenaline
Eh, the actual rating is 350hp/380tq, just like the Vette LS1 engine. On paper, it's underrated to make the Vette owners happy, but it's much the same engine underneath.

You've got a REALLY quick car, and it could have been a Formula. But it also could have been a bottom level Firebird. They look exactly the same except for an extra pipe on the right side.

Nonetheless, good race.
Thanks...

I did saw the words "Formula" on the rear of his car. Also, the 350hp/380tq is at the crank - right? Also, I've seen posted dyno numbers on these firebirds (4AT and 6MT) which have shown to be much lower than what's been posted here. My car makes about 370hp/315tq at the crank, dyno'd with 305hp/262tq at the wheels.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:11 PM
Quicker than U Think

You are in San Jose, have you tried Racing at Infineon? Supposed to be a very nice track too. It might be closer for you since its in Sonoma.

Dave
Old 03-15-2004, 04:49 PM
Instructor

Also, I've seen posted dyno numbers on these firebirds (4AT and 6MT) which have shown to be much lower than what's been posted here. My car makes about 370hp/315tq at the crank, dyno'd with 305hp/262tq at the wheels.

The numbers i posted here were my actual dyno number which is by the way considered low for a M6 LS1. Most A4's put as much as my car in stock form. If u wanna see what stock LS1's put down to the wheels look at these threads:
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...o&pagenumber=1

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...Stock+LS1+Dyno

Also i just noticed something..... Ur dyno were done on a dynameter which usually yields 9-11% more than a dyno jet. Just something for u to think about. I know a Stock Z06's that dyno'd 388rwhp on a dynameter and 34xrwhp on a dynojet. So if my calculations are right, ur car should put down numbers between 270-280rwhp on a dyno jet.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:21 PM
boosted is best

The numbers i posted here were my actual dyno number which is by the way considered low for a M6 LS1. Most A4's put as much as my car in stock form. If u wanna see what stock LS1's put down to the wheels look at these threads:
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...o&pagenumber=1

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...Stock+LS1+Dyno

Also i just noticed something..... Ur dyno were done on a dynameter which usually yields 9-11% more than a dyno jet. Just something for u to think about. I know a Stock Z06's that dyno'd 388rwhp on a dynameter and 34xrwhp on a dynojet. So if my calculations are right, ur car should put down numbers between 270-280rwhp on a dyno jet.
:whocares: what you think... why don't you go piss and moan somewhere else.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
^^^ that was weak.

quit talking and race already.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Hrmm, not really. Here is mine which was on a DynoJet chassis dyno. This is through the stock exhaust too.

Old 03-15-2004, 06:00 PM
Instructor

:whocares: what you think... why don't you go piss and moan somewhere else.
Why the personal attacks. U got offended because i told u the truth about the dyno u used .
Old 03-15-2004, 06:02 PM
Instructor

Hrmm, not really. Here is mine which was on a DynoJet chassis dyno. This is through the stock exhaust too.

Those are nice numbers scalbert. U will get around 360whp on a dynameter. By the way, did u ever run ur car at 1/4mile?
Old 03-15-2004, 06:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Those are nice numbers scalbert. U will get around 360whp on a dynameter.
Thanks...

Actually I hope to make 370 - 380 WHP on the DynoJet when I go back in a few weeks. With my custom manifold/intercooler and more boost that might be a possibility. I'm just worried that the exhaust will really start holding me back now.

I haven't been to the strip with the blower yet. But I will be within the next month. I'm sure I will be able to trap in the 112 range but the ET is unknown as this thing it a bear to launch.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:15 PM
Instructor

Thanks...

Actually I hope to make 370 - 380 WHP on the DynoJet when I go back in a few weeks. With my custom manifold/intercooler and more boost that might be a possibility. I'm just worried that the exhaust will really start holding me back now.

I haven't been to the strip with the blower yet. But I will be within the next month. I'm sure I will be able to trap in the 112 range but the ET is unknown as this thing it a bear to launch.
U have headers right? I only gained 3whp on my Acura CL type S with the comptech exhaust. It sounded nice, but the gains were not worth the 600 bucks i spent on it. Im sure u will gain more than 3whp because u have a SC, but a very good flowing exhaust will drop ur boost by 1psi or so. Im sure u will need a smaller pulley. How much boost are u running now? U should be trapping between 110-112mph with 360whp on a dyno jet.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:21 PM
boosted is best

Why the personal attacks. U got offended because i told u the truth about the dyno u used .
Nothing personal and no I wasn't offended, just growing tired of this pissing contest that you seem so determined to win. When will it ever end? Why can't you accept the fact that I beat some guy in his firebird, instead of trying to prove it never could have happened.

I have nothing to prove to you, nor do I want to because I know it took place just as I originally posted. What I really believe is that you can't stand the idea of a V6 beating a V8 which is why you are so bound and determined to prove things otherwise, starting to grasp at straws.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:34 PM
Instructor

I have nothing to prove to you, nor do I want to because I know it took place just as I originally posted. What I really believe is that you can't stand the idea of a V6 beating a V8 which is why you are so bound and determined to prove things otherwise.
To be honest with u. I can’t stand some people who BS on forums to get recognition. Ur story could be true, but it wasnt a LS1. If u really believe that u can beat a stock LS1 by 6 cars to 75mph then u are dreaming. If this really happened then u did beat a V6 Firebird which runs 15's all day long stock. Even most of the guys here tried to say, maybe he didn’t downshift or he didn’t floor it to make ur kill valid, but u seem to really think that the guy was on the gas and the car was loud and u still gave him 6 cars to 75mph with the jump being to him!!!!!!!. I did post this thread on other forums to try to find u someone to run and they all thought it was a joke because numbers don’t add up. Go run ur car at a 1/4mile track and tell us ur trap speed and then we can say if it’s a LS1 u ran or a V6. I guarantee u, u won’t be trapping more than 104 mph with 280whp on a DYNOJET which is not enough to smoke a stock A4 LS1 by 6 cars to 75mph. Keep us posted when u run ur car at the 1/4mile. I would love to see ur trapspeed. I'm done here.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:05 PM
Suzuka Master

U have headers right?

but a very good flowing exhaust will drop ur boost by 1psi or so.

How much boost are u running now? U should be trapping between 110-112mph with 360whp on a dyno jet.
Yes, I have the Comptech headers but that is all on the exhaust side. I know the stock exhaust flows pretty well but I will hit a point to where it isn't enough. I want to keep this car as low key as possible so I may have to make sacrifices at some point.

We'll have to see what an exhaust does to the boost. I'm not sure how much boost stacking is occuring and won't know till I open it up. I may drop the exhaust at the dyno just to see though.

I'm running 5.5 PSI right now with the new upper intake manifold/interccoler. Prior to that I would see about 6.5 PSI boost through the stock manifold. I have a new pulley on the way which should bring boost up to about 8 PSI. My goal is to hit 112 MPH which with a decent launch could net high 12's. But that will need to be seen as I haven't worked out the launching details yet.

What is interesting and somewhat expected, the boost did drop with the new manifold with everything else unchanged. I went to a shorter and straighter runner design So the engine is able to ingest the air easier and should be making, even disregarding the cooler air, more power from that alone. Add to the mix that the air is siginificantly cooler and I should be doing pretty well. Below is a pic of the new manifold/IC.

Old 03-15-2004, 07:26 PM
2nd Gear

I will run you... I have a 99 Z28. Its pushing about 460 hp at the crank, all motor... We can meet at Krispy Kreme sometime if ya want.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:54 PM
Instructor

Scalbert,
Why don’t u try getting an Electric cutout and install it after the Downpipe. U can open it by pressing a switch. I’m sure it will flow better than exhaust. I gained 10rwhp 4rwtq with the cutout over the good after market catback. I also shaved .1 and gained 1mph because of the cutout. Check http://www.mccordcg.com/mpp/mpp.htm they have a very neat design. That intake manifold looks mean. Did u custom make it? 1psi drop from the intake manifold means the stock one was restrictive. I’m sure u made more power to the wheels despite the one psi drop. The motor is taking one more psi inside instead of having it circulating in the intake manifold.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:57 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Ferocity02
I will run you... I have a 99 Z28. Its pushing about 460 hp at the crank, all motor... We can meet at Krispy Kreme sometime if ya want.
460 crank HP equates 390rwhp with 15% drivetrain loss. What are u making to the wheels? what mods do u have? If u race him, give him 6 cars head start
Old 03-15-2004, 08:17 PM
2nd Gear

Like you said, its about 390 at the wheels. Full exhaust, full intake, cammed, etc....

I need some stickier tires though. In 1st of 2nd they can't grip the road!!!
Old 03-15-2004, 08:19 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Ferocity02
Like you said, its about 390 at the wheels. Full exhaust, full intake, cammed, etc....

I need some stickier tires though. In 1st of 2nd they can't grip the road!!!
I'm sure it would be a close race since he destroyed a A4 LS1 by 6 cars to 75mph. Video tape it please so we can see how he hang with u. Hell i dont even think my 392rwhp LS1 can smoke a stock A4 LS1 by 6 cars to 75mph. Be careful man u might lose from the SC'd 305whp dynameter Blown CL type S.

I know what u mean by traction with 390rwhp. I have my problems too with traction even though i have Nittos drag radials 315's on the back.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:47 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
y do u continue to talk shit about a ls1 gettin beaten by a blown cl-s

i dont know if your used to street racing or not but ANYTHING can happen on the street, just like that video of a z06 walking a srt-10 when it puts down like 100 less hp..

scalbert pointed out before with the gearing advantages that it could be a very close race from a roll, who knows how the ls1 was driven, not every body can drive there cars to there full potential, we all know that

so if your gonna continue to whine like a little bitch about something that didnt end up the way u wanted it to get the fuck out of this forum
Old 03-15-2004, 11:56 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by darrinb
y do u continue to talk shit about a ls1 gettin beaten by a blown cl-s

i dont know if your used to street racing or not but ANYTHING can happen on the street, just like that video of a z06 walking a srt-10 when it puts down like 100 less hp..

scalbert pointed out before with the gearing advantages that it could be a very close race from a roll, who knows how the ls1 was driven, not every body can drive there cars to there full potential, we all know that

so if your gonna continue to whine like a little bitch about something that didnt end up the way u wanted it to get the fuck out of this forum
So so hostile. Do u feel better now boy LOL. Did I strike a nerve or something? I have been in this forums before u. So if u don’t like what I’m saying u can go somewhere else. Next time try to express ur feelings in a better manners. Alright boy.
Old 03-16-2004, 01:17 AM
4th Gear

I just wanted to say I think it is cool you can get that kind of power out of a CL. Your dyno sheet looks almost identical to the one in my Z71 with a cam.

On a Eddycurrent dyno. Simulates a load so usually less power than a Dynojet or Mustang.

I also believe you may have beaten the Firebird but if it was truely a race then the guy F'd up big time and let off because there is no way you could have had that many cars on him by 75mph. I own a 00' T/A auto and I will tell you they DO NOT spin the tires like crazy unless you have bald ass tires or it is wet. Hell even my C5 could only chirp the tires stock. 6-7 cars is A LOT of ET and there is simply no way you could be that fast against a car that is similar in power yet has more TQ unless the guy gave up.

Either way though I give you props for the kill

But since you're local you wanna run my Z71? Power adder to power adder. I'll have the nitrous hooked up in the next week. Just for fun of course. 2 cars people wouldnt expect to be fast battling it out. LOL
Old 03-16-2004, 01:27 AM
4th Gear

Ohh, forgot to mention...

My 00' Trans Am with an exhaust cut-out (a muffler bypass) and airlid/K&N put down 319rwhp, 342rwtq. I never dyno'd it bone stock but lids generally add 12rwhp and cut-outs about 5-10rwhp.

If anyone doubts I can look through all my old sheets and try to find it. I have a ton with lots of mods though.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Why don’t u try getting an Electric cutout and install it after the Downpipe. U can open it by pressing a switch.

That intake manifold looks mean. Did u custom make it? 1psi drop from the intake manifold means the stock one was restrictive.
Funny you mention it,
Electric Exhaust Cutout Thread We have been waiting on the completion of this as it may be a viable option.

Thanks, yes I did all of the design and CAD work. I started with a cardboard design and went from there. I did have a local machine shop do the actual metal work as I don't have a CNC sitting in my basement. I initially intended on machining the parts myself but after the potential need for making multiple units came up along with the need to hold close tolerances for the base plate (it has to match the lower runner ports perfectly) I decided it would be better to have it done on a CNC mill.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:43 AM
Instructor

Anything can happen on the street.

With that said I still find the outcome a little odd. The two cars in question have very similar output to the wheels. These two cars would be close in acceleration. Reaching 75mph should take around 7 seconds or so. That would mean the CL-Ss rate of acceleration would have to be far, far greater to put 6 car-lengths on the LS1 in a few seconds.

Owning a GM tranny ( WOOT! ) there is no kick down at 40mph when stock. The guy could've let off. Maybe he spilled coffee in his lap. Who knows, it's the street, anything can happen; that's not the point. But to think that similar outcomes would be the norm is just fooling oneself.

It looked like this was dead, so sorry for coming into it so late. Only my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth. Stay safe.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:32 PM
Racer

Why don't you just go to LS1.com and ty to set up a friendly race with someone in your area. I'm sure there are members there that have bone stock LS1's.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:18 PM
Pro

Originally posted by NJTypeS
Why don't you just go to LS1.com and ty to set up a friendly race with someone in your area. I'm sure there are members there that have bone stock LS1's.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:19 AM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

i dont see why the outcome couldnt be like this, though it does sound extreme.
when i would run with a g35c, if he messed up on the launch, i would walk him by over 5 cars.
if he did well, i would win by 2 at the most. this guy probably did mess up, or maybe he was having engine problems. there are too many possibilities.
scalbert tried to point out many possibilities to have an outcome like this, and it could be a number of variables.
just how i was able to BEAT a boxster s, a car that can run 13.9 where as i could only pull a 14.4 (though it was from a roll, and the driver was not that great)
as darrin said and i will agree with him 100%, anything can happen on the street. now do multiple runs and you get a better idea on who's car is faster!
Old 03-17-2004, 03:21 AM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

one things for sure: the LS1 is a sick ass engine. tq, hp, and it still gets decent gas mileage for what it is! putting 400 hp ls2 in the next vette as standard is going to really make it a hit.

Quick Reply: Destroyed a Pontiac Firebird Formula Coupe