Debate about 01 CLS vs 01 2dr Accord

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2004, 12:14 PM
Starving CLS Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Debate about 01 CLS vs 01 2dr Accord

I have a friend who loves accords and everything he talks about that car with others he keeps on saying that the accord is the exact same thing as the cls. And i am there scratching my head thinking why in hell would people out there pay an extra 10 grand and buy the cls if the accord is the same thing and costs 10 grand less. In my opinion i believe that even though they have similar engine and suspension i do not believe that they are the same cars. I love the cls and everytime i put it next to an accord i think the cls is better in every way. I mean just because 2 cars share similar engines and suspension does not make it the same car because there are 1000's of other things that go into making a car. I believe that the cls and tls are the same but saying that accords are same as the tls or cls is well does not make sense. So here is the great part. What do all you guys on this forum think about this. So next time he brings it up i can just email him this link and say well here is my and the cls forum's take. All opinion are greatly appreaciated. Thank you
Old 02-13-2004, 12:30 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually there are more parts that are swapable than ones that are not. The cars are basicly the same besides some diffrent body lines and interior features.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:40 PM
Pro

I made this decision back in March 00 and ultimately went for the CL-S. By the way, the difference was $5k between a CL-S non-nav and a loaded Accord EX-L. Back then the Accord was only a 4spd auto and the CL has the 5spd with sport shift. The CL also has 60hp more, 17" wheels, heated memory seats, 6disc in-dash changer, heated mirrors,optional nav,etc. All things you couldnt get on an Accord at all. These combined with the nicer interior did it for me. Today, the differences are much less as the Accord has gained many of these features.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:41 PM

well 60 more hp, 5sp auto, nav, hid, much quieter ride, traction and stability control, an extra year of warranty. Seems like its worth it to me.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:42 PM
I now drive an accord....

As of 03 the accord actually has more options, but I went with the CLS because I think the 7th gen accord is ugly
Old 02-13-2004, 12:48 PM
Starving CLS Driver

CLUofI

Thats what i am saying
Old 02-13-2004, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by spdy0001
As of 03 the accord actually has more options, but I went with the CLS because I think the 7th gen accord is ugly

I was debating getting a leftover 2002 Accord EX v6 or a new CLS 6spd in Oct. 02. The 7th gen accords just don't do anything for me (although the coupe looks better then the sedan IMHO).
Old 02-13-2004, 01:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Actually there are more parts that are swapable than ones that are not. The cars are basicly the same besides some diffrent body lines and interior features.
Actually there is less than about 20% interchangeable parts of the ones not shared with pretty much all other Honda/Acura vehicles. The engine, transmission, suspension components and pretty much everything is unique. Heck, even some of the sub-frame components are unique.

What is primarily shared is the chassis which is slightly unique for each application. The rest, excluding globally used items, is vehicle specific.
Old 02-13-2004, 01:36 PM
Banned

I think the 03 accord looks the most like the CL out of all the other generation, front and back
Old 02-13-2004, 02:48 PM
Starving CLS Driver

Wow thats some cool news about both cars scalbert.
Always nice to have some percentages regarding comparisons. Less then 20%, in my book those things are different, no doubt about it. I mean i knew they were different but by how much was somthing i always was curious about.

In other news, i just got the Rotora rotors and axxis ultimate brake pads. Going to wait till i get the teins ss, then put everything together. Its been about a year since i did anything to the car. Guess i should finish everything up now.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:09 PM
You underdig?

Being an owner of both (my other car is a 6th gen F23a Accord coupe EX-L), I can assure you they are just about as simular as the civic is to the integra/rsx; few things are the same and most are completely different. If I had a choice between the 2 (which I kind of did), I'd go for the CL in a heart beat. Now the Accord sedan vs. the TL-S is a different story.

BTW, I have the stock CL-S rear sway/stabelizer bar on my 99 accord. Proof that parts are interchangable.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:14 PM
Banned

as much as I love the cl-s if I had to choose now I would opt. for the Accord 6 spd. with navi.

better aftermarket

better navi

same power to weight ratio

higher resale value

lower insurance rate
Old 02-13-2004, 03:23 PM
You underdig?

Originally posted by lou

Which year? The 6th gen 6er is almost 3400lbs w/ only 200(honda engine)hp. The 7th gen is even heavier I thought with only 40 more HP than the 6th gen.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by nitelyfe
Which year? The 6th gen 6er is almost 3400lbs w/ only 200(honda engine)hp. The 7th gen is even heavier I thought with only 40 more HP than the 6th gen.
yea but to the wheel its different #s...dont quote me but the accord with premium gas is putting more hp and tq than listed. I dont remember which forum I read that.

the accord has a very efficient drivetrain and engine

the cl-s is great also but it has a different vtec than the Ivtec
Old 02-13-2004, 04:05 PM
You underdig?

Originally posted by lou
yea but to the wheel its different #s...dont quote me but the accord with premium gas is putting more hp and tq than listed. I dont remember which forum I read that.

the accord has a very efficient drivetrain and engine

the cl-s is great also but it has a different vtec than the Ivtec
OK, still a little confused cause I don't know which gen your talking about. I'm guessing its 7th cause 6th doesn't have Ivtec.

You are correct in saying the 6th (and maybe 7th) has higher torque than listed but I think its by 2lb. As for HP, I think the listing is also within 1 or 2. Both "misprints" don't really change much.

1 important thing I haven't mentioned about the accord's power is, its pretty much maxed out for the size and type of engine. 1 major difference between it and the CL when it comes to mods is the end result. Your lucky to get 12-15hp out of a I/H/E setup. Sure the parts are cheaper, but the gains are low.

kritikadeo

A good source for facts and specs on 5th-7th gen accords is www superhona.com. During the 2+ years I drove my accord (pre CL days), thats where I learned a lot about the accord. The folks at SHO know there shiet.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Banned

OK, still a little confused cause I don't know which gen your talking about. I'm guessing its 7th cause 6th doesn't have Ivtec.

You are correct in saying the 6th (and maybe 7th) has higher torque than listed but I think its by 2lb. As for HP, I think the listing is also within 1 or 2. Both "misprints" don't really change much.

1 important thing I haven't mentioned about the accord's power is, its pretty much maxed out for the size and type of engine. 1 major difference between it and the CL when it comes to mods is the end result. Your lucky to get 12-15hp out of a I/H/E setup. Sure the parts are cheaper, but the gains are low.

kritikadeo

A good source for facts and specs on 5th-7th gen accords is www superhona.com. During the 2+ years I drove my accord (pre CL days), thats where I learned a lot about the accord. The folks at SHO know there shiet.

Im speaking in reference to the 7th gen but like I stated before dont quote me on this. Ive seen the accord put up some descent #s on the Dyno similar to the cl-s auto...then with the Ivtec increasing the tq at lower rpms and a drivetrain built for that power it will perform better

I would like to see the accord 6 spd agains the cl-s 6 spd with headers.

the Ivtec will help the accord close the gap even though its a 3.0 -vs- 3.2
Old 02-13-2004, 04:33 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Better aftermarket for the Accord?
Old 02-13-2004, 05:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by lou
Wrong, the J30A4 in the 7th Gen AV6 does not have iVTEC. Only the 4 cylinder Accord has that. It is used on DOHC engines where each cam can be phased independantly. It is not used on the SOHC AV6.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by lou
The CL-S6 would certainly pull ahead and keep increasing the gap.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:06 PM
You underdig?

Originally posted by Chaptorial
Better aftermarket for the Accord?
Yes, slightly better with the pre 7th gens. But, remeber, the 2nd gen CL was only 2 years. The 6th gen accord was 5. Also, like all new gens, the aftermarket isn't all that great yet for the 7th gen accord.

AV6 vs. CL-S...This debate could go on for days.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:07 PM
You underdig?

Originally posted by scalbert
I agree.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:15 PM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by greenmonster

I was debating getting a leftover 2002 Accord EX v6 or a new CLS 6spd in Oct. 02. The 7th gen accords just don't do anything for me (although the coupe looks better then the sedan IMHO).
yep I agree about the new looks of new Accords blow.I drive a 94 Accord EX loaded(250,000 orginal miles plus orginal owner). I've been kicking around maybe getting a new car. I really like the Accord because it's super reliable but looks are horrible. so I'm waiting till 2008 model year. my car will only have 400,000 mile on it
Old 02-13-2004, 11:01 PM
Starving CLS Driver

Wow, i am so glad that we all are getting such feedback on this discusion. Please keep them coming. I want to know what others have to say about this. This is great. I am learning so much just reading everyone's replys.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
'01 accord coupe is a piece of crap compared to an '01 cl-s.

it's slow, no HID's etc.
Old 02-13-2004, 11:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
maybe "a piece of crap" is the wrong way to put it. but you get the idea.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:18 AM
You underdig?

Originally posted by kritikadeo
Wow, i am so glad that we all are getting such feedback on this discusion. Please keep them coming. I want to know what others have to say about this. This is great. I am learning so much just reading everyone's replys.

You being serious?
Old 02-14-2004, 12:41 AM
Beware of leakage

Well I'll put it like this, my performance shop guys called me up one day to tell me they had a 7 th gen AV6 6 speeder, and wanted to tell me that they thought that my 5 a/t (with just intake at the time) was quicker than the AV6 6. Compared to the 6th gen Av6, and a little to the 7th:
No HIDs, DULL gauges, seats with no lateral support, or heat. Our Bose units aren't all that great, but better than the Accord. The CLS has better fit and finish, has 17's, has an Actuator, SS for Auto with 5 gears and not 4. Personally I hate the shifting of the 6th gen AV6 tranny.
Just my
Old 02-14-2004, 01:01 AM
Banned

Originally posted by scalbert
very true!

but what if we decided to make this a fair race, and give the accord a few light mods? Specifically three items, that are out so far and in use.
1. CAI
2. Free flowing cat-back of your choice
3. VAFC(a devide thats useless on the J32, but works wonders on the new J30a4)

with these three simple items, 6spd accords are seeing 240whp, and 212wtq. A rather dramatic increase from their stock numbers(217whp/195wtq). Here is the mod by mod dyno of the first guy to discover this(russianrsx).

here is his thread:

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...091&forumid=97

now we are once again evenly matched, with the nod IMO, going to the lighter accord. remember, this is without the comptech downpipe, which once released will, further relieve even more restriction:

picture showing restrictive stock head pipe of '03+ accords:

Now while most people have chosen to use this post to throw stupid, ignorant and missinformed comments about the new accords, let me remind everyone, that the hidious 2004 accord V6 will feature honda's first use of an integrated motor assist, powering the rear wheels of the already underated car. this combined with variable cylinder management(another first for any honda), will allow for a mind blowing 40+mpg highway. Honda is currently using the accord, as a show piece for all its new technology. but remember boys and girls, its still a piece of sh.it!

bye for now
Old 02-14-2004, 01:06 AM
Banned

and the car you chose got cancelled. Too bad!
Old 02-14-2004, 01:09 AM
Banned

Originally posted by lou
as much as I love the cl-s if I had to choose now I would opt. for the Accord 6 spd. with navi.

better aftermarket

better navi

higher resale value

lower insurance rate
better crash safety ratings

lower drag coefficient

front, and rear head curtain air bags standard

electronic break force distribution

drive by wire throttle
Old 02-14-2004, 01:11 AM
Banned

no sir the 7th gen weighs in at 3,100-3,200lbs, depending on trim level. www.honda.com
Old 02-14-2004, 01:14 AM
Banned

Originally posted by lou
Im speaking in reference to the 7th gen but like I stated before dont quote me on this. Ive seen the accord put up some descent #s on the Dyno similar to the cl-s auto...then with the Ivtec increasing the tq at lower rpms and a drivetrain built for that power it will perform better

nah, the 7th gen accord is just underrated, and matches the CLS/TLS stock output when premium fuel is used. The ecu advances timing once higher octane gas is detected, and thats where the power gains come from.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:20 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Chopper
Well I'll put it like this, my performance shop guys called me up one day to tell me they had a 7 th gen AV6 6 speeder, and wanted to tell me that they thought that my 5 a/t (with just intake at the time) was quicker than the AV6 6.
then you don't know how to drive now do you? check out all the major publications, from motortrend to c&d and you will see 14.5@ 99mph stats. you can also see for yourself, at www.v6performance.net, as several guys will be more than happy to show you their stock timeslips. better yet check out the dyno numbers for yourself, and compare that to any CLS auto w/intake:

Old 02-14-2004, 01:21 AM
Sold but not Forgotten...

well it all depends on what you like my friend. As stated above by fellow cl-s owners, in the cl-s you get more hp, better interior, more power from mods, etc. Its a matter of choice on what you like more and the type of vehicle you are interested in....

in short, I love my cl-s and would never get an accord over it...
Old 02-14-2004, 01:23 AM
Banned

Originally posted by babyblue
well it all depends on what you like my friend. As stated above by fellow cl-s owners, in the cl-s you get more hp, better interior, more power from mods, etc. Its a matter of choice on what you like more and the type of vehicle you are interested in....

in short, I love my cl-s and would never get an accord over it...
the CLS is BETTER than the pre '03 accords, and all you said above is true, however, those statements, do not apply to the '03+ J30a4.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:42 AM
Starving CLS Driver

I was referencing in relation to a 01 cls vs an 01 honda accord. I dont know why people are now talking about the new accord. This entire thread is about an 01 cls vs an 01 accord so none of the new generation accords should be an issue.

T0rksterr
Thats great that you quoated c&d and motortrend about the timeslips in regards to the new accord. But the entire thread is in relation to the old generation accord. So i do not understand why the new accord is being brought up. It should not be an issue in relation to this post.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by kritikadeo
T0rksterr
Thats great that you quoated c&d and motortrend about the timeslips in regards to the new accord. But the entire thread is in relation to the old generation accord. So i do not understand why the new accord is being brought up. It should not be an issue in relation to this post.
He was dropped often as a small child and never recovered. That, or he cannot read well or maybe is even a little too hard up for the 7th gen Accord.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by T0rksterr
very true!

but what if we decided to make this a fair race, and give the accord a few light mods? Specifically three items, that are out so far and in use.
Wrong years of comparison genius.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:38 AM
still a Masshole

Torquie is a little sensitive.

I love the look of the 6th gen accord coupe (wife has one) but the car is just lacking power. Honestly its plenty but getting into it from my TLS with H/I is a let down power-wise. The car actually weighs I believe between 3200-3300 lbs and fees swifter in turns compared to my boat. The accord actually has fewer rattles than my car with the same number of miles. She has an LX V6 so the creature features in the TLS are way better but I don't have many complaints when getting in the accord besides the power and lack of 6-cd changer. I would definitely get a CLS over a AV6 coupe (6th gen) and probably still get a CLS over the current coupe (although the gap is much smaller).
Old 02-14-2004, 12:37 PM
You underdig?

Originally posted by T0rksterr
no sir the 7th gen weighs in at 3,100-3,200lbs, depending on trim level. www.honda.com
All 7th gen V6 trims are at least 3250lbs... SIR
All specs on the 7th gen accord

Quick Reply: Debate about 01 CLS vs 01 2dr Accord