Dealer Trick?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2001 | 12:04 AM
Intermediate

Dealer Trick?

Finally got my test drive this morning. Dealer went to check out my trade and held onto my keys so I couldn't get up and leave. They kept me there for almost an hour till I said I had to go.

The dealer and manager seperatly checked out my trade but couldn't give me a ballpark on trade in. Manager asked if I would mind leaving it to get an idea of price. What does that mean? I have never heard of that, he did offer me the CL I test drove while they keep my trade in to evaluate it.

1)Why would they need my trade for longer than a few hours. I've never heard of this.

The CL I test drove had about 100 miles on it and definately was not on the lot this past weekend, so I would pass on it anyway.

------------------
2002 CL Type S (coming soon)
1997 Ford F-150 4X4 (For Sale)
Email if interested: acbradley@mindspring.com
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
Old 04-19-2001 | 12:25 AM
nItIn

what is your trade in ? any special mods or defects that might make it a tough one to appraise?

------------------
2001 CL-P - Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Burlwood trim, Wheel Locks, Spoiler, Trunk Net, Polarg M6 Road Lamps, Polarg M4 Door Lamps, Polarg M4 Map Lights, Polarg M12 Turn, Polarg M13 Reverse Lamps, Polarg M16 Dome Light

Coming soon: '02 TL-S Burlwood Steering, Burlwood Vent Trims, Burlwood Shifter
Old 04-19-2001 | 12:50 AM
Drunk Bastid

Ugh. I hate when they do that. A local dealer did that to my mom a couple of years ago, only they didn't want to give her her car back at all. She called me almost in tears. I almost went to beat the crap out of them, but instead I called my friend who was a sheriff's deputy at the time. He went with me and said he was going to arrest someone for grand theft auto if they didn't give her car back to her.

I never, EVER give a dealer my keys.

------------------
~ Drew ~
2001 White CL Type S
If you're interested, check out my suspension install page for a 6th gen Civic:
www.cybermesa.com/~drew
Old 04-19-2001 | 12:50 AM
Intermediate

A 1997 Ford F-150 Lariat Extended cab (loaded). It has everything and is in great shape and low miles.

The thing I couldn't figure out was why he wanted to keep my car and let me take a brand new one. What if he wrecked my truck or it was stolen? What if I wrecked the new car?

I figure they are in better shape in that matter than me. If I wreck their car or it gets stolen, Acura replaces it. If they wreck my truck or it gets stolen they can lower the amount they were offering or not offer anything at all. All I wanted was a close guess to how much. They were a little offset when I gave them an exact variance between retail and trade in on it. Totally through them off their guard.

------------------
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
Old 04-19-2001 | 12:52 AM
Intermediate

NGin,

How do you let them check out the car then?

------------------
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
Old 04-19-2001 | 12:54 AM
Rod
Drifting

I'd go to another dealer, they were obviously trying to pull something.
Old 04-19-2001 | 01:03 AM
Intermediate

Rod,

Im talking to several dealer's and the most important thing to remember is...they might have been trying something (not sure what) but they didn't.

I beleive they wanted to drive it around to auctions or people looking for a truck and find out how much they could get then low ball me. Thats fine and dandy, but:

A) I know how much people are willing to pay for this truck.

B) No way in H-E double hockey sticks was that truck leaving the lot until my cold dead hands were pried off of it.

------------------
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
Old 04-19-2001 | 01:09 AM
Intermediate

Here's the scam:

They will never give you anything close to what your looking for on a trade-in because import dealerships usually try to avoid domestic cars on their used car lot. They usually pull the " oh we're calling some other dealerships to see if they want your truck". Oldest trick in the book! Fact is, you should try to sell your car on your own especially if it's in good shape. Even if you sell your car below market/retail value, you'll still save a couple of grand over the dealer trade in. I went through this same game recently, but the catch is that I'm a computer hardware sales guy so I knew their game and I used it against them.
Old 04-19-2001 | 01:11 AM
Drunk Bastid

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2002 CL-S:
NGin,

How do you let them check out the car then?

</font>
I went out with the manager to inspect the car. They got my keys only when I accepted the CL-S.

------------------
~ Drew ~
2001 White CL Type S
If you're interested, check out my suspension install page for a 6th gen Civic, click here
Old 04-19-2001 | 01:17 AM
Intermediate

Also, with the economy being the way it is, there's no such thing as a good trade in value. These guys are trying to make the most money either way.

Here's a decent plan of attack if your interested:

Take the highest trade in value that any dealership has offered you and add a couple of grand and put it in the paper. This is usually the best way to get rid of your truck without loosing too much. Additionally, once you have sold your truck, go back to any of the dealerships and ask them to take the car for a few hours. Tell them that your going to buy the car "today". Have them give you their most aggressive price ON PAPER. Once you have that, pay a visit to any other acura dealerships with the car and asked them if they can beat it? You can even bluff alittle. I did and I got my CL-S with Nav for $28,200.00 brand new. I saved $2200 hundred over the original dealer. Also, it helps to visit the dealership a couple of days before the end-of-the-month. THis way, it gives them the opportunity to call you at the last minute and accept your offer. I hopw your not offended by the suggestions. Good luck and you'll soon be a part of the brotherhood;-)
Old 04-19-2001 | 01:19 AM
Intermediate

Speed,

I'm right in line with you.

I work with salesman everyday, so I know how it works. He was working me "it'll be an endless nightmare selling your car, people wanting to come by your house, blah blah blah". I played it right back at him, I knew every detail of the car and in the end he and the manager knew they were in a tough spot. I knew all the sales figures for the CL and my truck and I knew all the maintenance on my truck. There really was no other card they could play.

I have no intention of letting them take my truck, unless they give me exactly what I want for the CL and exactly what I want for the truck...which I know they won't. Meanwhile my dealer is sweating it out (its his first job ) Wondering whether or not he will get this deal. I'm putting the truck in the autotrader and the paper next week and the dealer knows this is happening reguardless of his offer, so I win either way.

As you can tell by my sig, I'm in no hurry either which also puts me in a good situation. I'll take a 2001 for a lower price or I'll pay a little more and order a 2002, no difference to me. Thats what kills them, and it gives me more bargaining room.

------------------
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
Old 04-19-2001 | 01:23 AM
Intermediate

Speed,

Just read your second post, thanks for the advice. I do appreciate the help.

I think I have my Dad talked into getting a CL as well.

------------------
1991 Ford Explorer Sport
Old 04-19-2001 | 01:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

They may have sensed that you're on the fence about how interested you are in the CL-S (if you're playing your cards right ) and wanted you to keep the CL-S for awhile to allow you to fall in love with it. It probably has nothing to do with your truck at all and just a ploy to get you to buy the CL-S.

Just a thought!

[This message has been edited by GoldTypeS (edited 04-18-2001).]
Old 04-19-2001 | 01:44 AM
Intermediate

That's great that you not in a hurry. Sales guys hate time because it kills deals but that assures you time to find the right deal for you. Much luck with the purchase.

Peace.

Abdul