Dash pad issue.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dash pad issue.

Hi all,

I have an issue with my dash pad and would like to find out if it a rare problem or if it is something many others have had. When I bought my CLS in 2007, the previous owner left it out in the sun and the dash pad shrunk some by the window and the vents on the side. For some reason when I was in the dealership and they noticed it, they replaced my dash pad, free of charge! I was very happy. I don't drive my car much (traveling job), but about a year ago I kept hearing rattling and could not find it. Finally figures out that the dash pad had come loose at the windshield. Talking with local dealers, the dash is kinda held down with some little clips, and to fix it, the best answer I was given was take the windshield out, put some epoxy under the dash pad, then put a new wind shield in. (Mine does have a chip and in SC could get it replaced for free) Here is the question: I have maybe 35,000 miles on the car since I had the dash pad replaced and it is always garage kept, has anyone else had a dash pad come loose by the windshield? The dealer said they only warranty for a year. I have never had any car with a dash pad come loose and I had a Toyota for 15 years with no issue. Please let me know if this was just a bad install by the dealer or a problem with the CL itself. Thanks.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by loweredCL
Hi all,

I have an issue with my dash pad and would like to find out if it a rare problem or if it is something many others have had. When I bought my CLS in 2007, the previous owner left it out in the sun and the dash pad shrunk some by the window and the vents on the side. For some reason when I was in the dealership and they noticed it, they replaced my dash pad, free of charge! I was very happy. I don't drive my car much (traveling job), but about a year ago I kept hearing rattling and could not find it. Finally figures out that the dash pad had come loose at the windshield. Talking with local dealers, the dash is kinda held down with some little clips, and to fix it, the best answer I was given was take the windshield out, put some epoxy under the dash pad, then put a new wind shield in. (Mine does have a chip and in SC could get it replaced for free) Here is the question: I have maybe 35,000 miles on the car since I had the dash pad replaced and it is always garage kept, has anyone else had a dash pad come loose by the windshield? The dealer said they only warranty for a year. I have never had any car with a dash pad come loose and I had a Toyota for 15 years with no issue. Please let me know if this was just a bad install by the dealer or a problem with the CL itself. Thanks.
^ THAT! I have the same issue but I have not taken it to Acura or any other place, I might just clean the old Acura windshield wipers and wedge them between the windshield and dash-pad when I clean the car later today...

I live in a heavy construction area and all the highways/roads are under construction too so the rattling is unbearable.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:13 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,465 Likes on 4,982 Posts
My dash is horribly distorted. I notice it on many CLs and TLs.

I didnt know the dash pad itself was replaceable though.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Neither did I. Carmax tried to hose me on it too. Since they buy cars I had them appraise mine. They saw the dash was a little shrunk by the defrost vents. But it was still in fine shape & even looked ok. Gave me some BS about they have to replace the dash to sell it & how the airbag may not deploy because the dash is warped & it's a safety issue, blah blah offered me $3K. Yet they had a 03 TL on the lot I showed them had the exact looking dash as mine they had listed for $6900.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:29 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
dash warping???? really?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Is it a real issue in Fl heat & sun.
Old 04-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Is it a real issue in Fl heat & sun.
Up here in Raincouver the issue occurs as well.

Stuffing some windshield wiper inserts really helps with the rattling, I am going to go to Home Depot and invest in some high quality 1/2 inch or 1/3 inch rubber blocks. I'd suspect that something in a triangular shape would work best.

The windshield wiper insert is the original one that came with the car from the factory (10 years old ), I folded them in half and wedged them in there good, looks like a pile of cow leavings but it works.

Anyone know what one can do about a slight sunroof rattle?
Old 04-27-2012, 09:19 AM
IAPECC Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dash has been warped since the car was three years old, right were the sensor and vents are.
And i have an annoying sunroof and rear parcel shelf ralltle.