Custom Painting your key fob

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 10:18 AM
R.I.P Red-CL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Painting your key fob

I posted this in the TL forum but it doesn't seem that anyone has tried already. HERE GOES-----I wanted to know has anyone tried custom painting their key fob. If so could you share the type of paint you used and how'd you go about doing it. Also pics would be nice. I was thinking of painting mine 2tone to match my car color and the future color of my calipers.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:40 AM
givin the business

i'd say try some duplicolor...it's such a small ammount to paint a key fob...take apart the shell, prime and color it...that' be interesting i guess...my key fobs are all "carbon fiber" no paint required...good luck
Old 10-12-2004, 10:50 AM
R.I.P Red-CL

U have a carbon fiber acura key fob? Another thing what does the primer do? Does it make the sanded surface smother?
Old 10-12-2004, 11:56 AM
Meat stick

Received 229 Likes on 97 Posts
Sorry but,
What is a key fob?
Old 10-12-2004, 12:05 PM
It's not over yet

fresh of the boat j/k
the fob is ur keyless remote for ur car.
Old 10-12-2004, 12:18 PM
givin the business

mine are carbon fiber b/c i have an aftermarket alarm...matter of fact some aftermarket alarm remotes already have different color cases for the remotes, you may want to look into that too
Old 10-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Wouldn't painting make the buttons stick?
Old 10-12-2004, 12:42 PM
R.I.P Red-CL

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Wouldn't painting make the buttons stick?
No u would have to take the remote apart, as if you were changing the battery and then paint it.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah I just took mine apart at my desk here. You should be able to paint it fine with any spray paint. The buttons pop out then you can even paint those. Seems real easy. 2 tone you would paint half & then paint the other half.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:39 PM
R.I.P Red-CL

Well for the 2 tone what I was thinking that I'd cover the middle portion w/ tape, and spray the whole thing. Then paint the borders and paint the middle something else. I seen different painting techniques done on american chopper and world bike build-off.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:50 PM
Senior Moderator

I see. I might need to paint mine. It's all scratched up & looks like crap.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:53 PM
R.I.P Red-CL

That's exactly why I'm doing mine.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

mine too.....the primer gives the paint a surface it can stick to...btw...I would mostlikely clear coat it also to protect the paint from the drops and change in pockets and the oil on your skin....just my
Old 10-12-2004, 01:59 PM
givin the business

interesting...ya'll get to talking about it...now i'll have to go and spray one of the factory ones for my truck...just to see...it could be kinda kewl
Old 10-12-2004, 02:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hit your local hobby store. They have small spray cans of paint in all kinds of colors designed to use on plastic cars and airplanes.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by JaredGMS
Sorry but,
What is a key fob?
Old 10-12-2004, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Zippee
Hit your local hobby store. They have small spray cans of paint in all kinds of colors designed to use on plastic cars and airplanes.
I was thinking about repainting my keyfob as it's getting kinda beat up. It looks alot worst now then in the above pic.

I just bought some testors paint, brushes, and a hobby knife... I don't know what happened to the stuff I had when I was a kid sniffing model glue... ahh... I mean building models

I bought the stuff to redo an plastic emblem on a JD tractor I'm slowly restoring. But I was thinking that I could do the same with the keyflob.

The only thing I think will be hard is to create some stensils for the lock, unlock, and trunk button graphics...
Old 10-12-2004, 02:19 PM
R.I.P Red-CL

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
I was thinking about repainting my keyfob as it's getting kinda beat up. It looks alot worst now then in the above pic.

I just bought some testors paint, brushes, and a hobby knife... I don't know what happened to the stuff I had when I was a kid sniffing model glue... ahh... I mean building models

I bought the stuff to redo an plastic emblem on a JD tractor I'm slowly restoring. But I was thinking that I could do the same with the keyflob.

The only thing I think will be hard is to create some stensils for the lock, unlock, and trunk button graphics...

You're right about the stencils. I was gonna probably leave the buttons alone or just paint over them. I know what they mean anyway. As far a clear coating, I was definately gonna do that. Is there clearcoat for model cars and is that paint tough enough as the key fob would endure more abuse than a model car sitting on a shelf.
Old 10-12-2004, 02:24 PM
R.I.P Red-CL

I cheated a little. I'm running a trial w/ my aftermarket radio remote. If I like how it turns out, I'll do my key fob.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by brizzle
I cheated a little. I'm running a trial w/ my aftermarket radio remote. If I like how it turns out, I'll do my key fob.
I'm not sure what a replacement fob is going for (haven't looked on Jbean site or ebay), but I can't image it being that expensive if you mess up your original fob.

I was thinking about repainting mine the stock colors, but the more I think about it, it just might be easier to buy a replacement.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:38 PM
18"AndUpNoSitinOnMinors

I Just Got New Ones From The Dealer
Old 10-12-2004, 04:49 PM
Audi S4 driver

the 03 remotes are already anthracite metallic .. or at least they look it .. and that happens to be the color of my car

mine is so worn and beat up though .. it could use a fresh coat of paint
Old 10-12-2004, 05:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by PimPinTL-S
I Just Got New Ones From The Dealer
How much ?? (if you don't mind me asking...)
Old 10-12-2004, 07:42 PM
Be Strong AND Courageous!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts
Do the 03 key fobs work with the 01 cars???... I would like to get a a newer one b/c I think the newer ones look much, much better...the older ones are just a honda one with acura stamped on them...
Old 10-12-2004, 07:58 PM
shoulda got a 6 speed

i cheated alot... i just used a sharpee while i was reading the thread
Old 10-12-2004, 08:00 PM
shoulda got a 6 speed

that ghetto was for myself btw
Old 10-12-2004, 08:13 PM
its paid for

I tried painting my fob a while back with the duplicolor paint and it looked really nice. I used about 4 coats of paint and about 3 caots of the duplicolor clear coat. Itscratched off really easy, I would assume that is because i didn't prime it first.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:32 AM
R.I.P Red-CL

Originally Posted by uiskibum
I tried painting my fob a while back with the duplicolor paint and it looked really nice. I used about 4 coats of paint and about 3 caots of the duplicolor clear coat. Itscratched off really easy, I would assume that is because i didn't prime it first.

Did you sand it at all?
Old 10-13-2004, 08:23 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Can't you just buy another key fob?

They're like 10 bucks on ebay and the dealer will usually program them for free.

I've got about six remotes already. 3 which are still brand new.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:27 AM
R.I.P Red-CL

Oh damn red-cl, I didn't think they were that cheap. I can't say that I've priced them either. Did turnersville program them for you?
Old 10-13-2004, 09:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Red-CL
Can't you just buy another key fob?

They're like 10 bucks on ebay and the dealer will usually program them for free.

I've got about six remotes already. 3 which are still brand new.
Yeah, I just did a check on ebay, and I'll probably add it to my saved searches... After a couple of weeks of watching, I should be able to find a replacement #1 cheap...

I guess the thing to make sure of is the FCC# on the back to make sure other years/models will work on my 03 CLS. I'll have to check the FCC# on #2 as that one is still in excellent shape.

Might be a good idea to buy an extra #1, so when I sell the car I'll have a excellent condition #1 and #2 for the new owner... That should impress them
Old 10-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Originally Posted by brizzle
Oh damn red-cl, I didn't think they were that cheap. I can't say that I've priced them either. Did turnersville program them for you?
Ardmore Acura did them free of charge.

It's a shame that's the only thing I'll let them do to my car.

Sometimes it seems like they have chimps working there.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:37 PM
18"AndUpNoSitinOnMinors

Originally Posted by GreenMonster
How much ?? (if you don't mind me asking...)

for free i just told the dealer they where acting up and not workin right
Old 10-13-2004, 10:34 PM
R.I.P Red-CL

Originally Posted by PimPinTL-S
for free i just told the dealer they where acting up and not workin right

Great idea, I'll do that!!!
Old 10-14-2004, 07:55 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How long are you expecting the *paint* to last with the keys rubbing against it in your pocket?

Seems like a lot of work for bad results in the end.

The correct way would be to take one apart, put it into a 3d reverse engineering machine. You'll then have complete specs for the mold however they have to destroy the original to make the 3d model for you.

3d reverse engineering works like this... (usually it's done afterwards to test tolderances on a part yo created, however it could easily be used to copy something)

They put the part in a small container, and fill it with an epoxy resin. Leaving your part frozen in the middle of a large piece of square plastic. (picture your key fob casing floating in a solid plastic cube) kinda like a paper weight you probably have seen.

Then they put the cube in a mill/scanning machine. They mill off 1/1000th of the cube at a time (this is the destructive part). Every time they mill some off they scan it with a image scanner. This technique works a lot like a MRI if you know how they work. They continue to mill/scan until they go through the entire mold. Then they take the images from the scans and lay them on top of one another. Which will create a 3d image of the FOB casing on the computer. You then take file off to a machine shop who will create a injection mold.

Then you need to go to a injection mold shop and have some new ones made

Tolerances for the part should be within 1/10000'th of the original.

If your in Chicago I can hook you up with someone who will do the destructive testing to make a 3d model for you, and a machine shop who can do the molds for you. If you don't plan on selling 500-1000 of them don't bother with this venture.

I can tell you the destructive testing will be a couple hundred, then the machine shop will have to fix/smooth the 3d CAD model and machine a mold from aluminum. $500-1000 easy. You'd have to shop around for a plastic shop, however the machine shop i know could probably set you up with one.

if you made a 1000 of them you cost would *probably* be $2 piece. Without any phone calls I'm making huge guesses. I could be off in either direction.

If you are seriously interested in this venture let me know, I know some great contacts to do this stuff. These are people I have done business with in the past.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:00 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Originally Posted by SiGGy
How long are you expecting the *paint* to last with the keys rubbing against it in your pocket?

Seems like a lot of work for bad results in the end.

The correct way would be to take one apart, put it into a 3d reverse engineering machine. You'll then have complete specs for the mold however they have to destroy the original to make the 3d model for you.

3d reverse engineering works like this... (usually it's done afterwards to test tolderances on a part yo created, however it could easily be used to copy something)

They put the part in a small container, and fill it with an epoxy resin. Leaving your part frozen in the middle of a large piece of square plastic. (picture your key fob casing floating in a solid plastic cube) kinda like a paper weight you probably have seen.

Then they put the cube in a mill/scanning machine. They mill off 1/1000th of the cube at a time (this is the destructive part). Every time they mill some off they scan it with a image scanner. This technique works a lot like a MRI if you know how they work. They continue to mill/scan until they go through the entire mold. Then they take the images from the scans and lay them on top of one another. Which will create a 3d image of the FOB casing on the computer. You then take file off to a machine shop who will create a injection mold.

Then you need to go to a injection mold shop and have some new ones made

Tolerances for the part should be within 1/10000'th of the original.

If your in Chicago I can hook you up with someone who will do the destructive testing to make a 3d model for you, and a machine shop who can do the molds for you. If you don't plan on selling 500-1000 of them don't bother with this venture.

I can tell you the destructive testing will be a couple hundred, then the machine shop will have to fix/smooth the 3d CAD model and machine a mold from aluminum. $500-1000 easy. You'd have to shop around for a plastic shop, however the machine shop i know could probably set you up with one.

if you made a 1000 of them you cost would *probably* be $2 piece. Without any phone calls I'm making huge guesses. I could be off in either direction.

If you are seriously interested in this venture let me know, I know some great contacts to do this stuff. These are people I have done business with in the past.

It's just a key fob.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:07 AM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkSithCL
Do the 03 key fobs work with the 01 cars???... I would like to get a a newer one b/c I think the newer ones look much, much better...the older ones are just a honda one with acura stamped on them...
Yeah the 03's, once programmed, will work fine with your car. Many people have bought the new 03's FOB's and used it for their 01's.
Old 10-14-2004, 10:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Red-CL

It's just a key fob.

If you wanted to make custom colors that would be the best way to do it.... painting it is not going to work well.

Take maybe a week before you could start making your own colored shells from the injection mold. I just figured I'd let someone know if they had the desire to persue something like that... it'd be a business venture. No way worth it for any less than 500-1000 of them.

It'd be like replacing the shell on your cell phone with different colors. I know there's a market for that. I personally don't care what my Fob looks like...
Old 10-14-2004, 10:43 AM
R.I.P Red-CL

Yeah siggy that would be a bit much. I think I'll just paint it and if it rubs off, it doesn't matter. Just something to try.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:18 PM
El Presidente

hmmm gettin an 03 FOB sounds like a good idea!

Quick Reply: Custom Painting your key fob