!!!!!CUSTOM PAINT JOBS!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2001, 11:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
!!!!!CUSTOM PAINT JOBS!!!!!!!!

This post is really more for people who are planning to buy a CL.
I have recently found out...I live in NYC, so my dealer is Rallye Acura, that you can ORDER YOUR CAR UNPAINTED. This will save you about 1900 dollars of the price. Then go to a pro paint shop, and for 2000 buckos, have your CL painted in the color you want...like the SEMA show CL. Just thought you might want to know...ask your dealer. My friend did it to BMW and it also worked. I have the suspicion that its with all manufacturers. Also, sometimes you can get the to custom make your car..like lets say you want Silver paint, with tan interior, you dealer may get it for you. give it a try, and let me know how it went.
Old 03-30-2001, 12:07 AM
Team Owner

I have NEVER heard of this.

Shawn S

------------------
Speed limits are for CARS and DRIVERS whose limits are easily exceeded !!!!!

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 03-30-2001, 12:11 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Never heard of that either>

Wayne?
Jens?

Any Comments?

------------------
01' Acura CL Type-S
Piaa 19169 Bulbs
Valentine1 Pig Detector
XEPHYR CAI In 3 Days

01'Acura Integra GSR
NY NJ PA ACURA MEET LOCATION:
http://www.marriotthotels.com/dpp/PropertyPage.asp?MarshaCode=EWRHO
2:00pm be there or be lame
Old 03-30-2001, 12:13 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Too bad we dont have an aluminum body...

If it was I would leave her unpainted

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 03-30-2001, 12:14 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by soopa:
Too bad we dont have an aluminum body...

If it was I would leave her unpainted

</font>
that a baby

------------------
"the needle got buried at 140.....1,500 RPM later...the tach got buried"
Old 03-30-2001, 01:23 AM
Instructor

Guys...i will not swear to it, but my friend did it at his BMW dealer, and i asked my dealer (acura) and she told me they can do it. It just takes 3-4 weeks to get your car. CAuse they tell the factory not to paint it. Ask your dealer, dont take my word for it, i took my dealers word (ive been in great terms with her.)SO, if it works, great. If not, sorry i got your hopes up, come to RALLYE ACURA, theyll do it there..lol
Old 03-30-2001, 01:27 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Painting a new CLS is not a fuckin easy job. I believe that the car is painted before anything is instlalled. no engine no nothing. It is painted first than assembled.

Or am I wrong?

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S.
- Acura NAV.
- 3M clear bra (full front bumper, and side mirros)
- Wheels locks
- Mooonroof visor
- Splash guards
- Winter mats
- Trunk liner
- Acura Spoiler
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator
- HELMS Service Manual
- PIAA 19169 road lamps
- 03/19/01: Injen Polished CAI
Old 03-30-2001, 01:30 AM
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:
Painting a new CLS is not a fuckin easy job. I believe that the car is painted before anything is instlalled. no engine no nothing. It is painted first than assembled.

Or am I wrong?

</font>
Your right, but you could still have it painted. I just would not be a factory paint job and would for sure hurt its resale value.

Old 03-30-2001, 01:31 AM
Team Owner

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk:

Or am I wrong?

</font>
Yes, that’s true.
How else would they paint the firewall, inner fenders, trunk lid and doorjambs?

Shawn S

------------------

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
Old 03-30-2001, 01:47 AM
Instructor

that can be true...but they DO HAVE TO PAINT THE BODY!....so theyll just give you an unpainted one...so when you take it to the shop...youl only have painted the outside, and stuff thats visible...who gives a crap about the engine bay...i much rather have a cl with a custom color, and have an ugly engine bay. All this assuming you are right.
But I dont know if you are, wither way, i would do it if i had a chance.
Old 03-30-2001, 02:28 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
if i'm not mistaken i believe you can have them paint the frame and engine bay. Or it comes black finished. But alot of serious paint jobs include removing the motor
Old 03-30-2001, 05:14 AM
Racer

CLpower is right, if you are going to go through the trouble of requesting your car unpainted, you better go for a paint job where they pull the engine and do all the jams! I think you need to spend more like $4-5K to get a reasonable paint job for the CL. However that is sweet it that story is true!

------------------
CoMpTeCh HeAdErS
eIbAcH sPrInGs
AeM cAi
Old 03-30-2001, 08:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

Sorry I find this hard to believe. It would be too much trouble for the factory to deal with that type of request.

------------------
2001 Silver 3.2CLS
-Muds, Spoiler, Hardwire 8500, Prolarg M-6 lamps
Planning: Comptech Headers, Sways, CAI
Old 03-30-2001, 12:53 PM
magnet

maybe he ordered the car from the dealer in a specific color but not unpainted

------------------
2001 cl type s,custom voltage blue paint job, comptech headers, 18 inch ssr agle strusse rims(painted voltage blue with chrome lip), greddy evo exhaust, cross drilled rotors, pioneer avx 7000 tv, playstation2, iceman cold air intake(custom)nos fuel pressure regulator, piaa ion yellow fog lights, slammed on nex suspension (level ten torque converter and b&m tranny cooler)3.5 litre upgrade on april 16!

my old car www.hondatech.org/99acv6ic.html
my cl-s
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1364953&a=11597233
Old 03-30-2001, 02:22 PM
Instructor

could be guys...i told you i wont vouch for it...but i think they would have no trouble not painting a body at the factory. Besides, in NY, a pro autoshop will charge me 2200 buckos to paint my car phoenix yellow...everywhere but in the engine bay....i dont care about that place...
Old 03-30-2001, 02:36 PM
Team Owner

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nirvanaib:
but i think they would have no trouble not painting a body at the factory. </font>
They can't "not paint" a car.
They have to at least put a primer coat on it and I would expect this would cost MORE, not LESS, then a regular paint job.

Shawn S

------------------

Old 03-30-2001, 02:39 PM
Honkey

After being in the custom automobile scene for about 10 years...having had a couple cars repainted...I've come to the conclusion that unless you want to spend a SERIOUS amount of cash...no paint job will hold up like a factory paintjob. Unless it's a domestic manufacturer. Then Krylon would be an improvement. I would never repaint my acura. But then again, I'm one of the more anal people in the world.

------------------
2001 CL-P, new project undergoing complete reconstruction. As of now: Custom CAI fabricated by SRD, Polarg M6 bulbs, 4 ProHopper Chrome hydraulic pumps with whammy tanks, 4 ProHopper dumps, 4 Optima marine deep-cycle batteries, 4 switches. Much much more to come...

1997 Accord coupe EX-L. Chrome suspension, Chrome motor, every bolt-on imaginable. One pump, 8 dump hydraulics with accumulators. Leather, Billet grills, 18" Neeper Shadows...etc..etc http://www.artofnoize.com/Cars/aaron.htm

1990 Toyota standard cab. Bodydropped 3". 17" KMC Nemesis', extensive suspension work. 4 wheel airbags.
Old 03-30-2001, 03:12 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just checked with contact at the factory- never heard of ordering an unpainted car! We have no way of doing it!

------------------
Wayne Gruen
Service Manager
Park Ave Acura
Old 03-30-2001, 03:19 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nirvanaib:
could be guys...i told you i wont vouch for it...but i think they would have no trouble not painting a body at the factory. Besides, in NY, a pro autoshop will charge me 2200 buckos to paint my car phoenix yellow...everywhere but in the engine bay....i dont care about that place...</font>
I agree that I would Much rather have a custom paint job, and an ugly engine bay, rather than a stock color. Stock is just soo... factory.

and btw, I've known a few guys who got paintjobs on the order of $2 grand, some less, with door jambs, bodykit, inside the gas lid, under the truck lid, everywhere but the engine bay. For 2 grand.

The really expensive jobs you hear about are candy coated, or chameleon paintjobs, and/or ones where the engine is removed.

------------------
Kenny
Slow TL
Old 03-30-2001, 06:48 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by F=ma:
I agree that I would Much rather have a custom paint job, and an ugly engine bay, rather than a stock color. Stock is just soo... factory.

and btw, I've known a few guys who got paintjobs on the order of $2 grand, some less, with door jambs, bodykit, inside the gas lid, under the truck lid, everywhere but the engine bay. For 2 grand.

The really expensive jobs you hear about are candy coated, or chameleon paintjobs, and/or ones where the engine is removed.

</font>
Right. I also agree that very few paint jobs will hold up like the factory. However, I know my friend painted his INTEGRA at a shop, and they did a fantastic job. And that was 4 years ago, and it still looks good. But hey, im sure not every place can do a great job.