CRAP!!!!!!!! Post-header install info

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2001, 09:41 PM
dynamic Duo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRAP!!!!!!!! Post-header install info

If you can all remember a few days ago, i posted the news of my Comptech header install... Here's what i've been experiencing so far...

I started my car early this morning (around 70 degrees F), and what do i notice???
A slight grinding sound coming from underneath... I also heard this strange windy sound (kinda like whirling air), combined with a scratchy sound you would hear when you use sandpaper. That was kinda disappointing... so i revved the engine and it went away... but once it dropped back to idle, i heard it again, but it wasn't that bad... I noticed that once the engine is warmed up, the sound will go away... so it only happens on a cold start.

Is anyone else experiencing this? And Eric-do you think i got one of the 'messed up' models? I took Comptech's word for it... and i hope they're not wrong. Because in the case where i do have a defected model, I'm going to have to deinstall that crap and wait for another one... and each time i do so, i'm gonna have to spend more money on labor! What should i do?
Old 10-21-2001, 02:48 AM
Bagged hybrid

Hey Andy...whatup?

My headers used to do something like that before I got them fixed. I would be very supprised that you would get the old generation headers. I think you should go back to the place you got them installed, have them retighten your headers, and if that doesn't work, you can ask them if they can overflex the flexjoint on the headers. They can just disconnect your headers from the cat and twist it around a couple times to loosen it up. I drove up to comptech and that's what they did for me almost a year ago.

P.S. I see your car around from time to time...the parking lot right across from the Parking Office...in the B spots. My car hasn't changed too much...I got some Tantrums on Kumhos and a new stereo system recently.

Later
Old 10-21-2001, 06:09 AM
Burning Brakes

You should buy a "'UAW Built' Piece of trash"....

Bolt-ons are easier on these
Old 10-21-2001, 10:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: CRAP!!!!!!!! Post-header install info

Originally posted by Akim711
If you can all remember a few days ago, i posted the news of my Comptech header install... Here's what i've been experiencing so far...

I started my car early this morning (around 70 degrees F), and what do i notice???
A slight grinding sound coming from underneath... I also heard this strange windy sound (kinda like whirling air), combined with a scratchy sound you would hear when you use sandpaper. That was kinda disappointing... so i revved the engine and it went away... but once it dropped back to idle, i heard it again, but it wasn't that bad... I noticed that once the engine is warmed up, the sound will go away... so it only happens on a cold start.

Is anyone else experiencing this? And Eric-do you think i got one of the 'messed up' models? I took Comptech's word for it... and i hope they're not wrong. Because in the case where i do have a defected model, I'm going to have to deinstall that crap and wait for another one... and each time i do so, i'm gonna have to spend more money on labor! What should i do?
Flexing the J/Y pipe might help a little bit, but if that is the problem I would contact Mike @ Comptech ASAP and tell him your situation. He is usually very, very understanding and might be able to get you a new Y-Pipe and ship it to where they intially did the install and he might also talk to them and see if Comptech will take the hit for the re-isntall of the headers (Covered under their warranty). Contact Mike @ www.comptechusa.com and see what he can do for you. When I had my Y-Pipe problem, it would resonate all the time at around ~1800 RPM. It was very noticeable, from what you describe it may not be the problem.
Old 10-21-2001, 12:18 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by ronnie0738
...I got some Tantrums on Kumhos and a new stereo system recently...
Ronnie,

Can you post pics of your ride with the Tantrums? I'd like to see what they look like since they're practically identical to the Versus Campionato SS7s. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2001, 04:04 PM
Bagged hybrid

Rod -

Sure, I'll have them for you soon.
Old 10-21-2001, 08:35 PM
dynamic Duo!

thanks ron..
yeah, i got hooked up with a B permit from a friend of mine..

how you been? is this your last year?
yeah, i was thinkin about takin it back to group 5, but they're so busy all the time.. i bet i even have to make an appointment just to ask them to retighten the locknuts...

Where is El Dorado Hills exactly? I was thinkin if i ever happen to go up north again, i'll just take my car there...
Old 10-22-2001, 02:48 AM
Bagged hybrid

Andy -

B permit is very nice...could have gotten an A, but too expensive ($770/yr)!! El Dorado hills is about 150miles north-east from San Jose...about 20 or so miles past Sacramento. I went there and they fixed it for me, but it was arranged and I was their guinea-pig to see what was wrong with these headers.

See ya around.
Old 10-22-2001, 12:27 PM
Instructor

Akim711,

That's exactly what I was talking about. I tried to warn you, because I went through the same problem. You have a bad Comptech Header. I was hoping you were going to send it to Comptech before your install, but you seemed determined that you did not have a bad header. Give me a call if you need help explaining it to Comptech.

BLOWN 331
Old 10-24-2001, 12:55 AM
Bagged hybrid

Pics

Sorry about the bad quality pics...my digital camera is 5 years old.

Tantrums (18x7.5 on 235/40/18s Kumho ECSTA Supra 712)

Old 10-24-2001, 10:08 AM
Instructor

JSUPPI,

What was the fix to the resonating sound around 1800rpm?

I've had my headers for over a year and it made that sound as well, never bothered to get it fixed/replaced as I heard other people were experiencing the same. If I had to get it replaced, it would mean more $$(labor)
Old 10-25-2001, 12:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Response..

Originally posted by cldriver
JSUPPI,

What was the fix to the resonating sound around 1800rpm?

I've had my headers for over a year and it made that sound as well, never bothered to get it fixed/replaced as I heard other people were experiencing the same. If I had to get it replaced, it would mean more $$(labor)
CLDRIVER,
The first thing you should do is head on over to the Comptech board and post your issue, or call the # up and ask for Mike B. Mike is usually (actually always from my experience with him) more than very helpful in having a satisfied customer and pushed very hard for return business. Where did you get the header installed?? It is up to the individual that did the install to order a new J\Y pipe and Comptech will charge a deposit until they recieve your faulty unit in (sort of like a core charge) which is completely refundable. Mike told me they did this because many times, they would never recieve the replacement part back (and they actually do something with that that resolves the issue). If you had the install done at a dealer Comptech may even refund the price of the install/removal back to the dealer (which they did in my case).
I don't know if Mike still checks the board (he did previously), but my best advice to you is to call them up and talk to Mike about your situation. If you have any further questions let me know and i'll do what I can to assist.
Old 10-25-2001, 06:38 AM
dynamic Duo!

i swear.... i almost want to record the sound my car makes and post it here.
after about 30 seconds of warming up my car, it starts to sound really nasty.