Cost of new paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cost of new paint job?

If I took the car somewhere and had a really nice professional paint job put on it how much would it cost to paint it a different color?

Sorry if this is a repost. I did a search and did not find exactly what I was looking for.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
3-5k
Old 10-07-2004, 02:38 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mattg
3-5k
Yep.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:43 PM
failhard.

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Does the color matter? If I wanted to get another PDG paint job, would that run around 3-5k too? Sorry to thread jack.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:05 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
color doesnt matter its quality of paint and prep work!!!!!!! i paint cars and bikes so i know. that price it what you should expect to pay and dont plan on haven your car for a while
Old 10-07-2004, 03:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
doing a color change costs more because they have to paint the door jambs etc.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:44 PM
Racer

what mattg said, significantly more for color change, engine bay, trunk, door jambs , etc
Old 10-07-2004, 03:45 PM
Banned

From a resale perspective, you'll absolutely kill the value of your car.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:19 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

Originally Posted by AuCLSman
what mattg said, significantly more for color change, engine bay, trunk, door jambs , etc
when you spend that kind of money 3-5k it doesnt matter what color it is. like going from black to blue wont cost you any more that going from black to white. the only paint that is supper expensive is the chromalusion paint(color changing). but if you want a really good paint job you dont want the engine in the car or any carpet or sound deading material. so the painter can paint in all of the little nooks and crannies.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:50 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chabanais
You never know.

My car was entirely re-painted after hail damaged nearly every panel of the car. All of the panels were replaced with new ones, the car was prepped perfectly and re-painted black with very high quality paint by my friend who owns a top-notch body shop.

The entire bill was $6000.

Now, I would bet a dollar that if I put my car next to any other Black 2001 Acura and an average person was to decide which paint job was in better shape, 10/10 times they would pick my car!

I can't tell you how bad the factory black paint was after a year--swirlmarks, scratches, chips, and that was on a well-taken care of car! The new paint--forget 'bout it! It looks as good and as deep as 2.5 years ago when it was put on.

Personally, the best thing that ever happened to my car was that hail damage! She looks great to this day--even up close!

I realize that if I take it to CarMax they wouldn't take it, but, I wouldn't take it there anyways!
Old 10-07-2004, 05:57 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JZ
You never know.

My car was entirely re-painted after hail damaged nearly every panel of the car. All of the panels were replaced with new ones, the car was prepped perfectly and re-painted black with very high quality paint by my friend who owns a top-notch body shop.

The entire bill was $6000.

Now, I would bet a dollar that if I put my car next to any other Black 2001 Acura and an average person was to decide which paint job was in better shape, 10/10 times they would pick my car!

I can't tell you how bad the factory black paint was after a year--swirlmarks, scratches, chips, and that was on a well-taken care of car! The new paint--forget 'bout it! It looks as good and as deep as 2.5 years ago when it was put on.

Personally, the best thing that ever happened to my car was that hail damage! She looks great to this day--even up close!

I realize that if I take it to CarMax they wouldn't take it, but, I wouldn't take it there anyways!
I think he meant if you repaint your car a different color
Old 10-07-2004, 06:35 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

when you get into any aftermarket parts you kill the resale value to john q public who doesnt want a garret ball baring turbo or coilovers big rims, custom system. they want a car to take them to work and the store. any paint work i do mean any will drop the value of the car. if they ask and you dont disclose the info your in trouble. you can tell when a car has had paint work. at least i can. trust me i know how it goes. i used to sublet work out from the high end dealers to fix there paint problems. as most wont send there cars to the body shop(if they have one) unless the have to.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Banned

Sorry... if you repaint your car a different color.

But, even repainting it the same color can affect resale value. Why? Someone will think your car was in a wreck. Not all buyers will be the saavy, but it is a risk. Plus, unless you car has damage, it doesn't make financial sense to repaint your car.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chabanais
Good point, but if I spend the money to get the color changed I probably will not be looking to get rid of it until it is not worth anything anyways. (It is getting close already).
Old 10-07-2004, 07:36 PM
Banned

You're right but if I had a dollar for every time someone said they weren't getting rid of their car I'd... you get it.

If you like it do it!
Old 10-08-2004, 07:29 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by evilone
when you get into any aftermarket parts you kill the resale value to john q public who doesnt want a garret ball baring turbo or coilovers big rims, custom system. they want a car to take them to work and the store. any paint work i do mean any will drop the value of the car. if they ask and you dont disclose the info your in trouble. you can tell when a car has had paint work. at least i can. trust me i know how it goes. i used to sublet work out from the high end dealers to fix there paint problems. as most wont send there cars to the body shop(if they have one) unless the have to.

I still must say that even if I were an educated John Q Public, I'd take one look at the Acura paint job and one look at the paint job on my car and, on a car this age, I'd take mine any day of the week. By the time the 2nd buyer would be looking to sell the car it probably wouldn't even be a possibility to sell it to a CarMax type place anyway. I'd rather have a car that looked great, and by all indications would continue to look great, than a crappy factory paint job--especially on a black car.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:39 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by evilone
Um you dont even have to report damage to the insurance company if its under a certain amount. I think youre wrong about haveng to report ANY damage, or ANY paint work. New cars come in wiht a scratch the dealer fixes it and sells it . If you aren't then I ought to have a case because my car fax said my CLS has never been in an accident then a girl backed into my bumper they replaced it and the body guys told me its been worked on before. SO....also the dealoerhsip I worked at sent all of they,re cars to the body shop they own....porches ....mercedes...saleen s7's Doesn't seem like good business to own a body shop then send your cars to anouther because you cant reproduce the quaity of the cars you sell.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:05 AM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 978 Likes on 330 Posts
My insurance paid 3K to get me a full color change, they didn't do a "great" job but I definately got my moneys worth.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:33 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

Originally Posted by Frainky
Um you dont even have to report damage to the insurance company if its under a certain amount. I think youre wrong about haveng to report ANY damage, or ANY paint work. New cars come in wiht a scratch the dealer fixes it and sells it . If you aren't then I ought to have a case because my car fax said my CLS has never been in an accident then a girl backed into my bumper they replaced it and the body guys told me its been worked on before. SO....also the dealoerhsip I worked at sent all of they,re cars to the body shop they own....porches ....mercedes...saleen s7's Doesn't seem like good business to own a body shop then send your cars to anouther because you cant reproduce the quaity of the cars you sell.
alot of dealers do have in house body shops. and yes if the dealer got a car that was scratched lets say on delivery they will pay to have it fixed and if you notice it on your car you can get the price down becuase of that by saying one of two things i dont want that one becuase it already has damage, or i will take that one if you fix the scratch warrenty the work and come down on the price becuase of said damage. now with that said i didnt work for a body shop i worked for a moble paint company. there are plenty around trust me. and chances are if you took it to the dealer for them to fix your not gunna know if it went to the body shop or the had a moble guy do it. see if they do have a body shop there not gunna have work al backed up for scratchs nicked bumpers and buff jobs. usally