cost to change Axle or wheel Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry cost to change Axle or wheel Bearings

i have suddenly started hearing loud humming noise/ roaring nosie on my car , seems one prob after the other, The car shifts find but noise increases with speed and i checked tires to see it it was rubbing or i have a nail stuck in it but , all looks good so far.
I am assumming it is the axle or wheel bearing after reading this posts:

post 1

post 2

post 3

so my question is on the average , ..how much does it cost to fix it ?? this is off course including labor cost & parts. (for those who have done this)

and question <2>.... How much longer can i drive it like so, without changing it . I am low on cash, just dumped $800 on snow tires just a few days ago & then this.........
Old 12-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Unfortunately it's not a super easy job. They need to take the entire spindle off to press out the bearing. I'd say about $150 for labor plus the cost of the part.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pits200
Unfortunately it's not a super easy job. They need to take the entire spindle off to press out the bearing. I'd say about $150 for labor plus the cost of the part.
i thut it was a 20 min job.
i just hope its not my tranny going out.

is there anything bad tht can happen if i dont fix it right awaaaayyyyy...
Old 12-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by poisx7
i thut it was a 20 min job.
i just hope its not my tranny going out.

is there anything bad tht can happen if i dont fix it right awaaaayyyyy...
Ya, your wheel can fall off, lol. Now that is an extreme case. I had an 00 tl and an 01 cl and I had 3 wheel bearings go on them, so I guess its somewhat of a common problem at least in my instances.

As for wondering whether its the tranny or bearing, the wheel bearing is a fairly obvious loud whine at as speeds go faster.

But either way, if you plan on keeping the car, you need to get it fixed so no reason to wait and I understand if money is a factor. The hard part with wheel bearings is figuring out which one is bad and making the noise and where its coming from.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:22 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Figure out which side it is, jack up the car and try and wobble the wheel up and down. If the wheel moves its most likely a bad wheel bearing.
Old 12-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,469 Posts
When I did my two front wheel bearings I purchased the same NSK brand they had at the dealer on the link below at a 50% savings.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...l_bearing.html

I purchased two axles that looked like 'works of art' from Raxles for $139.99 ea. They have the balancing dampers just like OEM. They are a little pricey compared to Autozone; however, these are made in the good ole USA.

http://www.raxles.com/
Old 12-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Quarantuning

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
^Great link, sure to keep that in mind if mine ever go. Yeah those balancers are there for a reason.

Originally Posted by progression
Figure out which side it is, jack up the car and try and wobble the wheel up and down. If the wheel moves its most likely a bad wheel bearing.
Exactly. This is how you check for a bad bearing.
Don't worry about fixing them today. A friend of mine drove on a ultra loud wheel bearing for like a year and a half in a toyota corolla. I mean this thing was soooo loud, it was all you heard.
The car is still not fixed, and still hasn't broken down.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Chamorro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Wheel bearings aren't too bad. If you have a hammer press you can take it out without taking anything else apart but the brakes. Parts and labor should be less than $200. I just did a bearing last year. It can be bad if the bearing fails, but thats worst case. Deff take care of it...you rely on the car so make sure its reliable.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

yeap . thanks will do.
the Car IS still in diagnostics SINCE my mechanic drove the car and said it was normal and he cant hear the noise over my loud exhaust.. but i know its there.
so taking it to dealer 4 2nd opinion.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i've got the same with my 03 cl-s 6 speed, it sounds like its the passenger side, and it seems the noise is louder when i turn the wheel on certain curves in the road

I changed the wheels/tire to another set I had to eliminate the possibility of tire noise, and it was still there, so it looks like im going to have to do replace both of them, so i dont have to worry about the driverside going bad in the near future....

The weird thing is, there isn't any play in the wheel? maybe since it just started making the noise, its not too bad yet

also one of my wheel studs turn with the lug nut, i can't seem to find a single replacement, how can i just replace one, or would the complete spindle need to be replaced?

also i do have a parts 03 tl wouldn't the front spindle be the same as the 03 cl?
Old 12-26-2010, 08:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Unhappy

Originally Posted by 3.2VtecTL
i've got the same with my 03 cl-s 6 speed, it sounds like its the passenger side, and it seems the noise is louder when i turn the wheel on certain curves in the road

I changed the wheels/tire to another set I had to eliminate the possibility of tire noise, and it was still there, so it looks like im going to have to do replace both of them, so i dont have to worry about the driverside going bad in the near future....

The weird thing is, there isn't any play in the wheel? maybe since it just started making the noise, its not too bad yet

also one of my wheel studs turn with the lug nut, i can't seem to find a single replacement, how can i just replace one, or would the complete spindle need to be replaced?

also i do have a parts 03 tl wouldn't the front spindle be the same as the 03 cl?
same boat.
I think it is the axles or something in the gear box.
I assumed it was the bearings and i let mu mechanic check the car out he said he could not replicate the loud roaring noise (he said it was just the exhaust and loud pipes in the cold weather) so I decided to take it to the dealer to get another crack at it.
dont wanna have my wheels fall off in motion......
just to bad how many things start going wrong on this cars when one starts approaching the 100k mark......
Old 12-27-2010, 07:26 PM
10th Gear

I had the same problem on my 03tls. It was the wheel bearings and they sounded like this
http://www.facebook.com/video/video....53110&comments
I went ahead and replaced both my fronts just to have two matching parts turning my wheels. They were 40 each and i installed them myself. Truthfully this was the most annoying thing ive done. It took abt 4 hours total. Thats with a full shop, lift, and press to use. And yes you do need to remove the whole knuckle but thats the easy part. Actually getting the old bearing out was the difficult part. If anyone is looking to do this themselves, shoot me a pm i can walk you through it. You could remove the knuckle and take it to a shop to have the bearing pressed and pay only 20 dollars and put it back together. Oh and if you are checking the front you could jack up one wheel off the ground and put it in gear. This will only work on the auto with NO lsd.
I hope i was able to help here.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ka7kid
I had the same problem on my 03tls. It was the wheel bearings and they sounded like this
http://www.facebook.com/video/video....53110&comments
I went ahead and replaced both my fronts just to have two matching parts turning my wheels. They were 40 each and i installed them myself. Truthfully this was the most annoying thing ive done. It took abt 4 hours total. Thats with a full shop, lift, and press to use. And yes you do need to remove the whole knuckle but thats the easy part. Actually getting the old bearing out was the difficult part. If anyone is looking to do this themselves, shoot me a pm i can walk you through it. You could remove the knuckle and take it to a shop to have the bearing pressed and pay only 20 dollars and put it back together. Oh and if you are checking the front you could jack up one wheel off the ground and put it in gear. This will only work on the auto with NO lsd.
I hope i was able to help here.
Thanks, but I couldn't link to above video....
Old 12-28-2010, 01:21 PM
10th Gear

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....50953110&saved

I think that'll work. its on my fb.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Chamorro

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Don't forget there is a carrier bearing on the passenger side too. I changed it when I did the axles. So there are 3 bearing total.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

I created a thread when taking off the knuckle. Maybe this will help if you decide to tackle the job yourself.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=axle+nut