Corolla Type-S?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2001 | 05:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Corolla Type-S?

Well, not exactly...

I have been seeing a couple of Corollas with an red S badge. I thought those were some riceboy tricks at first, but I saw a brand new one on the road yesterday with an old couple in it so I went WTF??

I checked out Toyota's website just then, and there it is! A Corolla (Type-)S, the Sportiest Corolla!

http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/vehi..._features.html
Old 02-05-2001 | 05:57 PM
Banned

well isn't that just a whoopidy sh!t.

a whole whooping 125hp @ 5800 rpm's (wooooooooo f*in hooooooooooo)

just like any of the other Corolla's...so what the hell is the big deal. just another sh!tty toyota POS.

Alright, off my bash on Corolla's box

------------------
avengerjr
2001 CL-S Satin Silver / Ebony Interior / Non-Navi[*] spoiler , wheel locks , 35% tint[*] fenderwell trim , mud guards[*] winter floor mats , full nose mask[*] Xephyr CAI - on the way

girlfriend
1999 3.8L V6 Mustang Coupe Black / Black Cloth Interior[*] spoiler , 35% tint[*] MAC CAI - soon to order
Old 02-05-2001 | 06:02 PM
Intermediate

The Corolla Type S in japan aren't that bad, they are rear wheel drive. Can I say mad drifting machine?
Its too bad that when they make them in the US, they have to make them a FWD POS.

------------------
01 Silver CL Type S
PIAA roadlamps, Comptech Springs, Zaino Shine
Old 02-05-2001 | 06:09 PM
Stage 1 Audi S5

I thought it was some ricey type thing too when i first saw it. It looks like someone cut an S out of a piece of vinyl or red electrical tape and just stuck it on. You would think they could make some kind of badge but oh well.

------------------
'97 CL with custom scratches thanks to my mom's "wonderful" cats
Old 02-05-2001 | 06:12 PM
Pro

yeah...i heard the corollas in japan kick ass was well...as metioned above...drift racing car...too bad we dont get the cool cars here like the mitsu lancer and subaru ssti...
Old 02-05-2001 | 06:24 PM
I love my CL-S

civic....

------------------
01 silver cl-s
k&n air filter

clean cl-s=270 HP
Old 02-05-2001 | 09:34 PM
w.t.f., mate?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RandyMax:

I checked out Toyota's website just then, and there it is! A Corolla (Type-)S, the Sportiest Corolla!
</font>
AKA IS300.

Sorry I just *had* to do it...I'm suprised nobody else posted it yet...

------------------
~Phil~!
2K1 CL-S since 6/13/00 named Laetitia! ~Quantum tint~ ~Hiper Hibrid Plasma Xenon road lamps~ ~spoiler, baby!!~ ~Uniden LRD 6599SWS Radar Detector~ ~Shine by Meguiar's Gold Wax~ ~Member of the Scratched Rims Club~ ~Getting a red Acura badge shortly.~ ~Xephyr CAI on the way!~
Former post count : Over 500!! FREAK!
Old 02-06-2001 | 01:09 AM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 1StGenCL:
I thought it was some ricey type thing too when i first saw it. It looks like someone cut an S out of a piece of vinyl or red electrical tape and just stuck it on. You would think they could make some kind of badge but oh well.

</font>
ROLFLMAO.... I thought the SAME THING!!!! But remember, Vinyl is MUCH cheeper then a molder badge!!! and the corolla is a Cheeper POS!

Why would toyota even ever consider such a thing? A corolla S????? what are the differences between the stock corolla and the S???

------------------
Old 02-06-2001 | 01:09 AM
Racer

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 1StGenCL:

</font>
ROLFLMAO.... I thought the SAME THING!!!! But remember, Vinyl is MUCH cheeper then a molder badge!!! and the corolla is a Cheeper POS!

Why would toyota even ever consider such a thing? A corolla S????? what are the differences between the stock corolla and the S???

------------------
Old 02-06-2001 | 01:26 AM
Pro

Uh-oh we should all be scared of this Corolla Type 'S' .. 0-60 in a blazingly quick time of.... 8.8 seconds.. 1/4 mile time of 16.6 sec (Source: MT 12/00)

------------------
2001 Satin silver CL-S
* no navi, spoiler, mudguards
* wheel locks, full front mask
* fenderwell and door trim
* soon Comptech springs and sways
* 5% tint rear side, back
Old 02-06-2001 | 01:49 AM
Pro

I read in an article that Toyota, a few years ago at the height of the Honda tuner phenomenon, suddenly realized that it was losing long-term sales. At least in Japan, it used to be that kids bought and hopped-up small Hondas, but traded up to bigger and "more sensible" Toyotas as they started their familes. That started to cease being the case.

So Toyota launched a new thrust toward affordable fun and/or sportiness to cature the youth market, the main results being the conception of the Echo, MR2-Spyder, and the current generation Celica. (I don't know whether the Altezza was part of this thrust, but it wouldn't surprise me.)

Anyways, I guess if I were ToMoCo, I might be inclined to think, "well, a percentage of Civic sales were to kids who thought that it was a good sporting platform. Why can't we foster this image in the Corolla?"

And it's well known that "Appearance & handling packages" do sell. Case-in-point: Integra GS (previous gen), Eclipse GS (previous gen), Galant GTZ, pseudo-Saleens, and so forth.

------------------
051/LP/SR/LD/HH
Old 02-06-2001 | 04:34 AM
Instructor

I really wanna know does "riceboy" mean Asian??? Or it just refers to anyone (Any race) who puts lots of stickers and a big tall spoiler on his civic, integra or prelude.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by RandyMax:
Well, not exactly...

I have been seeing a couple of Corollas with an red S badge. I thought those were some riceboy tricks at first, but I saw a brand new one on the road yesterday with an old couple in it so I went WTF??

http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/vehicles/corolla/grade_features/corolla_grade_featu res.html
</font>
Old 02-06-2001 | 10:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DtEW:
Anyways, I guess if I were ToMoCo, I might be inclined to think, "well, a percentage of Civic sales were to kids who thought that it was a good sporting platform. Why can't we foster this image in the Corolla?"

And it's well known that "Appearance & handling packages" do sell. Case-in-point: Integra GS (previous gen), Eclipse GS (previous gen), Galant GTZ, pseudo-Saleens, and so forth.

</font>
I'm sure this is what Toyota was thinking as well. The only problem being, is that the Corolla S is no more sporting than a regular Corolla. This is definitely more of an appearance package than a performance package. It doesn't even have anymore hp, does it?? You could at least make the argument than a Civic Si is considerably more sporting than a base Civic. For this reason, the Corolla S is bound to be maligned by enthusiasts for being a half-ass attempt at fostering an image.

As the saying goes.... GO BIG OR STAY AT HOME!!!
Old 02-06-2001 | 01:53 PM
Instructor

Yuck Yuck Yuck Patooey

------------------
2K1 CL-S BLK on BLK
Navi,mudgaurds,
spoiler,ebach springs dropped 1 3/4 in ,35%,sitting on 19" Altstadts & Nitto 235/35/19s
-------------------
Coming This week Comptech headers and sways.
Old 02-06-2001 | 01:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by carlsonho:
I really wanna know does "riceboy" mean Asian??? Or it just refers to anyone (Any race) who puts lots of stickers and a big tall spoiler on his civic, integra or prelude.

</font>
The latter...

Who still got the address of that "riceboy" website?

Old 02-06-2001 | 01:54 PM
Instructor

Yuck Yuck Yuck Patooey

Never in a millionn years would I have thought that there would be acorrola type s.
Yuck

------------------
2K1 CL-S BLK on BLK
Navi,mudgaurds,
spoiler,ebach springs dropped 1 3/4 in ,35%,sitting on 19" Altstadts & Nitto 235/35/19s
-------------------
Coming This week Comptech headers and sways.
Old 02-06-2001 | 01:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

For more info on riceboy check these out...

http://www.riceboypage.com/
http://www.ricecop.com
Old 02-06-2001 | 02:07 PM
The Creator

awww yea...

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit