Cop Encounters

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow... This forum needs a name change
'Cop An Attitude' ...decaf members only.

I joined to learn about fixing my sons car. Love his car but not as easy to fix as my generation. 63 64 Impala, 65 nova, 68 SS Camaro, 66 stang.

We were reckless as hell in those days. Lucky to survive. The drinking and driving were more of the norm for that time and many lost their lives and rides. Seat belts were the drivers option so no one wore them.I totaled both the nova and stang. What a waste. The awareness today about drinking and driving is a great improvement for our society. Seat belts too. My kid is going to drink when he goes out but in his group there is always a designated driver.

The pedal to the metal is a blast but keep it cool.

We use to have a cruising spot where everyone showed up with their nice rides and nice babes. Up and down the street you would hear the sound of a nasty cam with scattered smoke and barbequed rubber. The girls looking fine and checking whats next door. The cops saved my ass many times with just a warning.

I think Bruce Springsteen sums it up the best:

In the day we sweat it out on the streets of a runaway American dream
At night we ride through the mansions of glory in suicide machines
Sprung from cages out on highway 9,
Chrome wheeled, fuel injected,and steppin' out over the line
h-Oh, Baby this town rips the bones from your back
It's a death trap, it's a suicide rap
We gotta get out while we're young
`Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oL0YSYz4eo

http://www.metrolyrics.com/born-to-r...ringsteen.html
Old 03-18-2011, 10:56 PM
Luci is her name...

Talking First Cop Encounter in my CLS

I was traveling to my home town in rural Alabama today to see my family. On the way as I got near town a guy in an Accord with one of those bumble bee sounding mufflers pulled out in front of me. I listened to him for about 2 miles. I could not stand it any longer. Just as I pulled out to pass him, he kicked it. I could not resist. I dropped third and just as I got beside him on the way around I saw the cop top the hill coming toward me. PERFECT TIMING I just stayed in it and passed him as if the cop was not there.

He hits the lights and spun around. I had a huge jump and could have easily ran, but we were in rural Alabama, my home county, ONLY CLS around for miles so I stopped. 76 in a 55.
Luckily for me it was a Deputy that I went to HS with years ago. He was more interested in my car than the speeding. He said he saw that I was hung out and thought I had done the safest thing to continue to pass. I was lucky. My wife was with me and already starting to rag me about getting a ticket and telling me how I should have known better at my age.
I am sure she is right. At any rate it was great to see an old friend in that instance.

Now before you all get your panties in a wad.... It was the middle of BFE on a long straight, in a passing lane. Not justifying my actions, just letting you know I was not in town.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:42 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
^ Your not the only one who likes to teach ricers a lesson

I recommend getting a radar detecter though....
Old 03-18-2011, 11:45 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Wish radar detectors were legal here
Old 03-18-2011, 11:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Aman
Wish radar detectors were legal here
Even if there not, you can easily hide it before the cop walks up to your car
Old 03-18-2011, 11:53 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
It'd be a bit obvious yanking it from the middle of the windshield

If they made a kit or something where you could mount the actual sensor on the windshield, and maybe have the display somewhere else than could easily be concealed.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:58 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,257 Likes on 4,872 Posts
Old 03-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
radar detectors still dont prevent stupidity.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hobo2424
radar detectors still dont prevent stupidity.
They help
Old 03-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Luci is her name...

Yes they do!
Old 04-18-2011, 03:00 PM
vtec kicked in yo

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
thats why i use rocky mount radar stealth radar/jammer!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:11 AM
7th Gear

Here's my ticket story as of late in my CL-S. So I had just got on the road and was stuck behind this old grandma in a van going about 10 under (which felt like i was going 5mph). Decided to pass as soon as I got a chance. As soon as I pass there is a hill going down, so I said what the heck. I wanted to see how the suspension handled the turn at the end (first intense drive mind you). I was going about 90 I'm pretty sure with no cars around. Hit the turn flawlessly and came out of it in 4th with no problems. None, besides this marked dodge charger coming up in the left lane going the opposite direction. Flew past him at about 92, and after I had my little test proceeded to slow down. Dropped it back to 50mph and just hummed behind a couple cars. Thought I was in the clear. Out of no where about 3 or 4 miles down the road that Charger came after me like a bat outta hell. Pulls me over and after a long wait and being pulled over in a horrible spot I get dropped with a $206 ticket. He didn't say a word about anything really. Just took my info issued a ticket and said the usual "have a nice day". So I'm curious how the new Chargers work. Because I was 1) going the opposite direction 2) coming down this hill on many occasions the cars don't appear to be going as fast as they are 3) how was he able to clock me if he was around a bend? and 4) he clocked me at 71 meaning his radar was off so I have no idea how he did that math (or that he could do math).

Anywho, that's my story. I have many more but I just thought I'd share being new to the forum. Thank you for existing btw. Lots of hints and info I've learned from you guys already. And a last thing. The whole argument from the past ^^ made me LOL the entire time.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Banned

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by eddybreezy
Here's my ticket story as of late in my CL-S. So I had just got on the road and was stuck behind this old grandma in a van going about 10 under (which felt like i was going 5mph). Decided to pass as soon as I got a chance. As soon as I pass there is a hill going down, so I said what the heck. I wanted to see how the suspension handled the turn at the end (first intense drive mind you). I was going about 90 I'm pretty sure with no cars around. Hit the turn flawlessly and came out of it in 4th with no problems. None, besides this marked dodge charger coming up in the left lane going the opposite direction. Flew past him at about 92, and after I had my little test proceeded to slow down. Dropped it back to 50mph and just hummed behind a couple cars. Thought I was in the clear. Out of no where about 3 or 4 miles down the road that Charger came after me like a bat outta hell. Pulls me over and after a long wait and being pulled over in a horrible spot I get dropped with a $206 ticket. He didn't say a word about anything really. Just took my info issued a ticket and said the usual "have a nice day". So I'm curious how the new Chargers work. Because I was 1) going the opposite direction 2) coming down this hill on many occasions the cars don't appear to be going as fast as they are 3) how was he able to clock me if he was around a bend? and 4) he clocked me at 71 meaning his radar was off so I have no idea how he did that math (or that he could do math).

Anywho, that's my story. I have many more but I just thought I'd share being new to the forum. Thank you for existing btw. Lots of hints and info I've learned from you guys already. And a last thing. The whole argument from the past ^^ made me LOL the entire time.
As cars become more affordable, more young/stupid people end up driving them and not RTFM.

Inexperienced Driver + Taking turns at high speeds downhill in a nose heavy car is just an accident waiting to happen. If you do happen to wrap around a tree, hopefully you didn't take out an entire family out in their minivan in the process.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JBlueCLS6
As cars become more affordable, more young/stupid people end up driving them and not RTFM.

Inexperienced Driver + Taking turns at high speeds downhill in a nose heavy car is just an accident waiting to happen. If you do happen to wrap around a tree, hopefully you didn't take out an entire family out in their minivan in the process.
Says the young/stupid person who had his friend videotape him going 140mph on the freeway with cars on it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Eoct...el_video_title

By the way, if your going to do that on a public highway, at least learn to shift correctly
Old 04-21-2011, 01:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most patrol cars can catch you comming and going while they are moving. Maybe he did not get you until you started slowing down with the rear radar. It might have been off when he saw you comming. Or maybe he did not want to have to write you for the higher speed which may have been fast enough for a "wreckless driving". In some states that is a felony. He also may have not even got you at all, but he knows you were speeding. They are good at guestimations of speed, very good. So if he knew you were booking maybe he just settled on 71mph to make a point but not cause to much of a stir.

What part of WA are you in? What highway were you on?
Old 04-24-2011, 03:35 AM
7th Gear

Curiosity killed the cat.

Originally Posted by JBlueCLS6

Nope. Not exactly. I am an experienced driver. My first car was a 89 325iX with extensive mods so I was curious about how my Acura would stack up next to my BMW's tight suspension. I just was a victim of circumstance. I drive that hill everyday (which makes it worse that I got a ticket there, so I relive it everyday). And I believe its HI-507 if I'm not mistaken. Also, btw, I was just sharing, not to be judged by circumstances. And I also drive a minivan on Sundays
Old 04-24-2011, 03:37 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by CH46ESeaKnight
Most patrol cars can catch you comming and going while they are moving. Maybe he did not get you until you started slowing down with the rear radar. It might have been off when he saw you comming. Or maybe he did not want to have to write you for the higher speed which may have been fast enough for a "wreckless driving". In some states that is a felony. He also may have not even got you at all, but he knows you were speeding. They are good at guestimations of speed, very good. So if he knew you were booking maybe he just settled on 71mph to make a point but not cause to much of a stir.

What part of WA are you in? What highway were you on?
I am in Southern WA. Olympia area.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:56 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I am in Southern WA. Olympia area.
In Florida I am told that they have to have you in sight and if they lose sight of you for a period, they can not prove it was you that they saw speeding unless the ID'd you or got your plate. I passed a speed zone and the gal cop got on the radio and a unit found me a few miles up the blvd. He threatened to take me to jail unless I admitted it was me. I declined initially until it was obvious that he would follow through on his threat.

I plead not guilty and told the judge that the cop got the wrong man and shared his threat of incarceration and he threw the ticket out.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Banned

I was driving my beater Volvo the other day and I approached a yellow light. I knew that if I tried to make it, it was going to turn red while I was exiting the intersection, but I said F it, dropped it into second and punched it. As I was accelerating, I noticed a cop on a motorcycle was waiting for it to turn green in the same intersection. Once I saw him, I slammed on my brakes and since my volvo is an 88, it doesn't have abs brakes. My brakes locked up and left a long skid mark with smoke everywhere. I was able to stop in time, but the cop on the motorcycle who watched me do it gave me the biggest and longest stare-down I have ever seen. I raised my hand up to try to signal that everything was okay and I could not believe that he never turned around to pull me over....
Old 04-25-2011, 02:37 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Oakroadsteve
In Florida I am told that they have to have you in sight and if they lose sight of you for a period, they can not prove it was you that they saw speeding unless the ID'd you or got your plate. I passed a speed zone and the gal cop got on the radio and a unit found me a few miles up the blvd. He threatened to take me to jail unless I admitted it was me. I declined initially until it was obvious that he would follow through on his threat.

I plead not guilty and told the judge that the cop got the wrong man and shared his threat of incarceration and he threw the ticket out.
I wish WA shared that policy. I at least admitted to it. The only problem with that logic is that around where I drive Acura CLs aren't exactly "frequent" drivers not to mention mine looking as different as it does lol. I'm going to court just to see if they can lower it considering its the first that I am contesting.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:39 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Jacobpockros
I was driving my beater Volvo the other day and I approached a yellow light. I knew that if I tried to make it, it was going to turn red while I was exiting the intersection, but I said F it, dropped it into second and punched it. As I was accelerating, I noticed a cop on a motorcycle was waiting for it to turn green in the same intersection. Once I saw him, I slammed on my brakes and since my volvo is an 88, it doesn't have abs brakes. My brakes locked up and left a long skid mark with smoke everywhere. I was able to stop in time, but the cop on the motorcycle who watched me do it gave me the biggest and longest stare-down I have ever seen. I raised my hand up to try to signal that everything was okay and I could not believe that he never turned around to pull me over....
somehow the staredown is even worse than actually getting pulled over. The cop pretty much gave you the whole "next time" look.