Cool Photo, Top Speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 09:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Gentlemen, the pic that I posted is also from technique, see the lower link on the original post. I would assume the same camera was used. BTW, when in ss the indicator remains lit in D5.
Old 01-14-2002, 09:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Something to consider...

Originally posted by acura_service

yes detail would be lost, but not defined squares of color.
besides a service writer i work with photoshop most of "the rest of the day" (graphic designer on the side), now i'll be the first to admit that i could be wrong, i'm just showing things i noticed that don't have consistancy

Well, just to toss in some junk into the "mess" -- notice your 2nd shot down (blown-up area between the gas and temp gauges); there is a red blotch that shows up above the temp gauge needle. The red "blotch" needle mark would be highly suspicious if it was part of the speedo needle pixels, but it is a above the coolant temp needle (are there bragging rights for how cool the temp of our car is???). So, there is an artifact in the picture you are showing *and* it is a big one. If there is that big of an artifact in such an unimportant place, what does that say for staring at pixels around other parts of the screen image? If that artifact had of been in the speedo gauge, what then?

See the white arrow in the attached image (or look for the faint red line as I described)…
Old 01-14-2002, 09:55 PM
Subie Dubie

A couple of years ago i was in France on business. My wife met me in Cannes in the south of France and we decided to drive to Paris. The cool thing when you rent a car there is they show you top speed for each model !! We got a Renault with a 147mph top end. It's not like the Autobahn in Germany but the toll roads are awesome, wide open and well maintained with posted limits of near 140km ( close to 90mph ). Anyway it's about a 700 mile drive through the middle of the country and it's amazing how the speed just creeps up as you feel comfortable with the car and the road. We made it to Paris including stops in less than 7 hours, and at one stretch of 2 to 3 hours we were at 130-135. Funny thing is my wife is no speed junkie but at 130 or so we were talking like we do on the way to the grocery store here. People there are considerate and know how to drive quickly. It was a blast.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:04 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone know where the RPM gauge is suppose to show? I don't even see that needle close to redline.... apparently it is completely vertical.

This pic http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/dzenzano...view=t&.hires=t
Old 01-14-2002, 11:20 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
Old 01-15-2002, 12:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The older picture taken at like 40 mph that shows a 103 degree day was taking during the DAY, with NO FLASH, hence you can see the V1 and other lights on. It was a different camera but basically the same, that was my older camera, an Olympus C-2020, 2.2 megapixel camera, the new one is an Olympus C-3040Z. The reason the dashboard lights appear to be off is because the 150MPH pictures were taken during the nighttime and the flash is very bright and washes out all the lights. The cruise control light is lit as well but you can't really tell...

I must say, I enjoy all the conspiracy theory ideas. Especially the one that shows different shading, it reminds me of the whole "grassy knoll" thing! hehehe! I had no idea 150 mph was such a big deal... Most of us here in the bay area drive that fast on a fairly normal basis... We consistently run 150-170 MPH in our cars all the time... 150 in the Acura CL Type S and 170MPH in the Lotus Esprit V8...

Anyway, the pics are real... But having an x-file opened to verify the validity of my pics is flattering
Old 01-15-2002, 12:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
Astroboy, you took your pic at night too, right? What weight oil do you run in your car. I bet you get a pretty good blast of power when your warmed up at -5.
Old 01-15-2002, 12:37 AM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 626 Likes on 277 Posts
5w30 in the summer....15w30 in the winter I think...
it's got no trouble bouncing the limiter hard when it's cold like that...but it's not too bad in the warm either...UNLESS it's humid, then you can forget about it...
Old 01-15-2002, 01:38 AM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Dwight..

You are one crazy mofo!! I have no doubt those are real pics..
I've driven that stretch of road many times and on days when there isn't any traffic, you can haul some serious ass..

Welcome back..
where did you go anyway??
Old 01-15-2002, 03:28 AM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
X-files...LOL...Too true. Even Moulder wouldn't question the validity of those pics...definitely real. No offense but this was starting to sound like kinda like those um...'misguided' people disputing the authenticity of the latest Bin Laden video. I'm not sure why anyone would go to the lengths you guys mentioned to fake 150 mph anyway...Leave the poor guy alone!!

Hell, being young and stupid, I did 120 mph in my parents 4 cylinder auto 1987 toyota camry wagon about 11 yrs ago on I-95...no pics, but again why would anyone lie about that!! Definitely not the smartest thing Ive ever done...i was surprised the hubcaps stayed on!
Old 01-15-2002, 10:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Technique
The older picture taken at like 40 mph that shows a 103 degree day was taking during the DAY, with NO FLASH, hence you can see the V1 and other lights on. It was a different camera but basically the same, that was my older camera, an Olympus C-2020, 2.2 megapixel camera, the new one is an Olympus C-3040Z. The reason the dashboard lights appear to be off is because the 150MPH pictures were taken during the nighttime and the flash is very bright and washes out all the lights. The cruise control light is lit as well but you can't really tell...

I must say, I enjoy all the conspiracy theory ideas. Especially the one that shows different shading, it reminds me of the whole "grassy knoll" thing! hehehe! I had no idea 150 mph was such a big deal... Most of us here in the bay area drive that fast on a fairly normal basis... We consistently run 150-170 MPH in our cars all the time... 150 in the Acura CL Type S and 170MPH in the Lotus Esprit V8...

Anyway, the pics are real... But having an x-file opened to verify the validity of my pics is flattering

OH NO -- You were driving @ 145! I just received a report from the World Speed Police Org with spy photos and supporting info. The Doppler space radar confirms that your speedo is off by 5 MPH

X-Files -- Sorry, too late, the files have already been opened (no stopping them now). The Feds and Area-51 were just too interested and the case is already opened...

You have PM