Cool Photo, Top Speed

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 03:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Photo, Top Speed

OK, so I've been gone for a long time... I was on a 6 week vacation... Got back to cali a few days ago and made a road trip to LA to party since I missed this fine state so much... Anyway, I made it from I-5 where Highway152 meets I-5 down to Los Angeles in 2 hours 13 minutes, average speed was around 122MPH with bursts to 150MPH every 10-15 minutes and I would sustain the speed for about 2-3 minutes, slamming the rev limiter a few dozen times... Enjoy the pic... Oh, you can't tell, but the Cruise Control light is lit

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/dzenzano/...iew=t&.hires=t

IF that doesn't work, go here, click on "Acura CL" album, and it's the very last picture on the bottom...

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/dzenzano
Old 01-14-2002, 04:34 AM
dynamic Duo!

that's tite dude...

i cruise that area every now and then, to visit my buddies up in nor-Cal, and its cool cuz traffic cruises at like 90mph, almost everyone's prone to get a ticket, but i guess cops are lenient... my friend in his prelude got caught for speeding at 110mph, and the dude said that the judge would take his license away going that fast so he only wrote him down for going 90. haha, but if you wanna do a speed test, i guess thats one of the best places to do it.

But on more of a safety note... dude, i hope you don't do that too much, cuz the last time i went up to nor-cal (actually i was goin to lake tahoe, and that was when i cruised over to comptech later on) i was going at about 115mph at 3am, and a big-rig truck SUDDENLY came into my lane; i had to SLAM on my brakes... was freakin scary dude, and he wasn't even changing lanes for a truck in front of him. my friend and i thought the only reason for that was he was probably sleepy. be cautious about those trucks.

also my friend with the 'lude got caught near Merced, or somewhere between Harris Ranch and the 152, and i heard that a lot of people get caught there... in fact another friend of mine in a miata was going about 100mph, and a cop car going the other direction crossed the damn median just to catch him.

150mph? that's tite... my top in my CL-P was 147; 4th gear 5000rpm... having Z-rated tires gives you more relief going that fast but its still scary as hell. have fun, but be careful man.
Old 01-14-2002, 04:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
How come your gear indicator is not in 4th or 5th gear? I checked out your other pic and d5 is clearly lit up.
Old 01-14-2002, 07:05 AM
Aspiring MultiBillionaire

Does the Valentine One actually work when put in front of the gauge like "Technique" has?

I thought it needed to be in "the open" to fully work? Just wondering, b/c I'm thinking about getting a V1 soon.

Thanks!
Old 01-14-2002, 08:35 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by KCheng
Does the Valentine One actually work when put in front of the gauge like "Technique" has?

I thought it needed to be in "the open" to fully work? Just wondering, b/c I'm thinking about getting a V1 soon.

Thanks!

remote unit. The sensor is mounted ontop and there is a unite that you can mount somewhere else (like on steerint wheel) that is like a faceplate that lites up. go to the V1 website.
Old 01-14-2002, 09:14 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WTF doing 150MPH and your Valentine V1 is OFF!!

I smell something fishy here..

Also, how come are you able to take that rock solid pic ???

No vibrations?

It seems like photoshop job to me.....

or maybe you lifted the CLS at your local tire center and spinned the hell out of your wheels...
Old 01-14-2002, 10:30 AM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Whats the point of radar going 150mph...not like you could slow down quick enough..might as well keep going...not like you wouldnt get arrested right?
Old 01-14-2002, 10:35 AM
Banned

What kind of camera?
Old 01-14-2002, 10:40 AM
I have the need for speed

Your sick going that fast! Cool by the way.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:41 AM
Banned

Actually, if you turn the contrast all the way up, the D5 does appear to be more green...
Old 01-14-2002, 10:45 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I guess he is still nuts to do it... Imagine an average speed of 120PMH+ ...for more than 2hrs!

Nuts!
Old 01-14-2002, 10:47 AM
Retired Post Whore

You guys drive crazy and wrecklessly! Just becareful when you are driving fast, one sudden incident will cause major problems!
Old 01-14-2002, 11:11 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Infamuz
You guys drive crazy and wrecklessly! Just becareful when you are driving fast, one sudden incident will cause major problems!

Don't be crazy... the CL-S is uncrashable!
Old 01-14-2002, 11:13 AM
Retired Post Whore

Originally posted by Scorpius

Scorpio, your face will turn out to be like your avatar, once you get in to an accident, doing that speed!
Old 01-14-2002, 11:18 AM
Team Owner

I think I remember something similar spoken of the TITANIC.

Shawn S
Old 01-14-2002, 11:24 AM
Adult Supervision

You can order this from Yahoo and get a 4x6 for $1.49 including shipping. I gave it a shot to see how it came out.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:24 AM
Race Director

Good Job man, tons of respect for someone who can average that speed for that long. I have to try that soon because I told everyone I can get from NOrth Scottsdale to San Deigo iin 3.5 hours and they said best I could do was 4 maybe 4:15. I'm gonna do that shit in 3. hahaha. By the way that pic is way to clear. How did you get it without being shaky, cause I have taking tons of pics over 135 and it's always blurry, might just be cause my hands shake all the time. Too much nervous energy.

Nice Pic by the way.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:54 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by MikeS 18
You can order this from Yahoo and get a 4x6 for $1.49 including shipping. I gave it a shot to see how it came out.
Old 01-14-2002, 11:56 AM
'Cooter

how hot would the engine get at those speeds for such a long period of time??? Anthony, u've been in the 3 digits so often, u would have to know something
Old 01-14-2002, 12:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Actually, if you turn the contrast all the way up, the D5 does appear to be more green...
Oh yeah, now i see it..... not.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:22 PM
Moderator Alumnus

damn.. my car can't even hit 150.
Old 01-14-2002, 12:28 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
WTF doing 150MPH and your Valentine V1 is OFF!!

I smell something fishy here..

Also, how come are you able to take that rock solid pic ???

No vibrations?

It seems like photoshop job to me.....

or maybe you lifted the CLS at your local tire center and spinned the hell out of your wheels...
Nashua, no the CL-S definitely goes to that speed. I've made it to LA from Santa Clara in 3.5 hours doing just about 149MPh the whole way on cruise control.... it has a governer at 149 to not let you go further... there are some tricks to get it a bit higher... like with cruise control then you turn on the air conditioning to allow a little bit more etc etc.

When the CL-S hits 149MPh on highway 5 (a long two lane highway with nothing near) there is some wind... the car doesn't have much vibration... the only thing is you KNOW that if ANY little thing happens with the steering wheel you are so out of control... you'd be dead... but I don't think you would ... there is nothing around there... so I think you'd just spin out of control. But then if the car rolls and you spin on your back ... it could be bad.
Old 01-14-2002, 01:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Hmmm, I posted a reply but it didn't seem to work... OK, here goes again...

I uploaded the rest of the pics I took, the 150MPH one came out the best so I shrank it down to 800X600 and uploaded it. But, for those of you that want to order it as a print, I uploaded the FULL res versions of ALL 6 pictures I took.

I have an Olympus Z-3040, 3.34 megapixel camera. It is a GREAT camera. I had a passenger in the car, my friend Lox, who has a 97 red esprit V8 (check the 160MPH pic of his speedo in the same directory on my yahoo photo dir!).

I held the steering wheel with my left hand and took the picture in macro lens mode with flash holding the camera with my right hand... The car is pretty solid at those speeds, and the camera does a great job of taking close up pictures...

I don't know why the V1 seems to be off, it's DEFINITELY on and in All Bogey mode. It saved me once by giving me about a 3 mile warning on a cop travelling towards me in the opposite direction. Although I must say that when I slow down from 150MPH, I don't really use the brakes until I hit around 130MPH...

Ummm, no photoshop. I don't even know how to use it, and besides, enough people in this forum have driven down to LA with me to know that I love trying to break the rev limited by repeatedly hitting it

Enjoy the rest of the pics, they are all uploaded in the dir!
Old 01-14-2002, 01:57 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Welcome back !
Old 01-14-2002, 02:46 PM
At least it's not Jersey

The V1 looks off because it's not always on, the display that is. Your eyes perceive it as always being on but like with most led devices like clock radios, it's actually flickering about 30 time a sec. I'm sure some one can explain this in a more technical way, it's just what I remember from electronics class about a decade ago. Your camera snapped the pic between flickers.
Old 01-14-2002, 03:57 PM
Aspiring MultiBillionaire

Originally posted by Infamuz
Not to be a bastard, but ironically enough:

It's recklessly, far from being wreckless
Old 01-14-2002, 05:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Neech
The V1 looks off because it's not always on, the display that is. Your eyes perceive it as always being on but like with most led devices like clock radios, it's actually flickering about 30 time a sec. I'm sure some one can explain this in a more technical way, it's just what I remember from electronics class about a decade ago. Your camera snapped the pic between flickers.

You are thinking about 60hz AC line frequency (divided by 2 [and it could be 30, 60, or 120 Hz depending “who cares rectification” issues]); there is no rule as to the type of dimming used by the Valentine (or other manufacturers). The continuous appearance of bulbs using 60Hhz is due to "persistence of vision". (Hey, if they [Valentine] told you 30 Hz, let me know. I bet they use a much higher chop speed)

As a note, some new, high-tech LED flashlights use PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) to control the light coming from the flashlight's led array, but the frequency used is generally in the 1-200KHz range (and higher). Given a slow enough shutter speed, one could expect to see one or more led lights and or segments (Film also has reciprocity issues to contend with [N/A here])

So, if someone wants to control an LED's light output, they can just adjust the current going to it with a "steady state"/continuously adjusted power source OR they can use a pulsed source to control the on-time to off-time; by adjusting the ratio of on-time to off-time (duty cycle), one can control the "apparent" level of brightness of the device and the controlling device is either on or off -- this reduces power consumption and heat generated from the controlling device and also reduces overall power consumption.

People can generally start to detect pulsing below 60-72 frames per second (FPS). (BTW – I know someone is going to remark about film being 24 FPS, but there is more going on there (each frame is shown 2 or 3 times for an effective frame rate of 48 or 72 FPS)

BTW -- the light level can get pretty low on the V1 display and the output of the LEDs would pale compared to the output of a flash/strobe *and* the individual LED segments and LEDs could be also be multiplexed by the CPU for possibly even more bizzare effects (some segments/leds could end up on and/or others off!)

Persistence of vision article (one of a billion): http://www.grand-illusions.com/percept.htm
Old 01-14-2002, 06:20 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by Scooter
how hot would the engine get at those speeds for such a long period of time??? Anthony, u've been in the 3 digits so often, u would have to know something
HAHAHAH, It doesn't get too bad. I have had the Alero's Coolant Temp way past half almost at 3/4 doing 120 for about 20 miles straight.

When I was on the way down to Tucson I did 120-140 for about 30 miles and It wasn't that bad just a little above half. The car held up fine too, ONly thing I was worried about was blowing a tire because it was 105 degrees out.

I have had the jeep past 3/4, had the whole thing in smoke, from rotors, tires, brakes and whatever under the engine was smokiing. Car smelled for two weeks and the house smelled for two days cause the smell went through the vents in the house. HAHAHAH that was fun.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:45 PM
Adult Supervision

Originally posted by CO-CL-S
Are you confused by what I said? I ordered a print of that in a 4x6 size for $1.49 which includes postage and handling. It would be cool to have that print and I am also testing the ability of Yahoo's partner's service.

Or are you confused as to why I would do this? For $1.49 why not?
Old 01-14-2002, 07:33 PM
www.drippinwet.com

i see some irregular areas in your pictures when blown up there are 2 distinct areas of interest to me, besides your d5 light not being illuminated first is the hard square on the needle it does not blend with the circular area of the needle, also there is a definate square that has been put in or flatened on the speedo area both the areas are marked - the last one is a photo of my speedometer which shows a smoother bleneded area from the tab to the circle pivot area of the needed

my speedometer

Old 01-14-2002, 07:46 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by acura_service
i see some irregular areas in your pictures when blown up there are 2 distinct areas of interest to me, besides your d5 light not being illuminated first is the hard square on the needle it does not blend with the circular area of the needle, also there is a definate square that has been put in or flatened on the speedo area both the areas are marked - the last one is a photo of my speedometer which shows a smoother bleneded area from the tab to the circle pivot area of the needed

my speedometer

Man! Why all the unbelievers!!! I have met Technique... this is Ramiel... your name was Dwight right?

I myself took my CLS to 149 many many many many many times! It gets there VERY easily. I've been able to take it that high in traffic with small distances.

It works best when you just put it on automatic, turn off the VSA. A/C makes no diff... I've done it with A/C on 72 with windows open and still made it to 149MPh

If you still don't believe it and you have to zoom so closley to those pics... just get out of the house at about 2AM and head out on an empty freeway and just push the gas petal down and hold it... no need for diapers... the car handles it VERY well. Just don't freak out and don't move the steering wheel too much... don't change lanes and don't brake.

From what I recall... the RPM is like 3-4k in 5th. If you drive it on S mode, 4th gear stops at 125MPh and it's 5th from then on.

My gues for the 149MPh governer is that the stock tires are V rated... meaning for below 149MPh! So if you got ZR's... I wish there was a way to remove the governer.... then again... I totalled my car :-(
Old 01-14-2002, 07:49 PM
www.drippinwet.com

well its either real or not! if it is: congrats, if not: its pretty good
although you shouldn't drive that fast on public roads, you could kill yourself or others
Old 01-14-2002, 07:50 PM
Race Director

Uh oh! What are you trying to say Acura Service?
Old 01-14-2002, 07:57 PM
Suzuka Master

acura_service:

I must be missing something here...

I could understand if someone was trying to tell me they did 160 in a car limited to 149 (147 or whatever -- chose your authority). However, this is already well-ploughed ground and Technique is also running 245/40-17s that run about 3% under (so the "actual" road speed should be reduced by 4-5 MPH).

The flat piece of the speedo needle and the slightly rounded shape will generate slightly different shadows when a strobe is used (single point source) vs. multiple point sources/ambient lighting...

I am not sure it's time to open an "X-File"...
Old 01-14-2002, 08:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Has anyone figured out why the gear indicator is not lit? I don't think i could do anything else but grip the wheel with both hands at 150. If that pic is real you must be crazy or stupid or both.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by mattg
Has anyone figured out why the gear indicator is not lit? I don't think i could do anything else but grip the wheel with both hands at 150. If that pic is real you must be crazy or stupid or both.
D5 or the LED 5?
Old 01-14-2002, 08:14 PM
Senior Moderator

This is real, indicator lit up, V1 on etc.
Old 01-14-2002, 08:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by mattg
This is real, indicator lit up, V1 on etc.
What shutter speed did you use?

Some issues to consider (either way)...

#1 The more the V1 dims, the more the pulse width (I’m assuming the V1 is PWM brightness controlled) the less chance of "catching" the LED being on...

#2 The speed indicator for the speed shift is also an LED. However, the LED shares the same dimmer with the rest of the bulbs. So, what could be different? 1) The LED’s segments are probably being scanned (I don't know if the segments are "latched" or if they are being driving dynamically at high speed by the Acura PCM/PGM-F1.) The tungsten filaments will appear to be on to a high-speed camera even though it is “pulsed”. The thermal inertia (properties) keeps the filament (of a common bulb) hot for a minimum amount of time (as opposed to an LED)

-- Want to settle all of this? Get Dwight to tell you the shutter speed he used and take some pictures at very high shutter speeds in your car with the V1 rather dim.. Also, remember that all cameras are not created equal and some can have some rather quick shutter speeds.

-- I may be have a "senior moment", but I though my Dx indicator went off in SS mode.

Once again, the shutter speed can have a profound difference on how your picture will turn out with "scanned" displays. The LED is is controlled by "LED A", "LED B", and "LED C" signals (an additional connection to VSS OUT is shown in the Helms page 14-37! (I am making an assumption here -- the Helms doesn't supply source code and internal board architecture )
Old 01-14-2002, 09:08 PM
Banned

What about the differences in the capture device? maybe one guy used a digicam, the other used a nnormal camera and scanned. Also, there are more digicams than grains of sand. What about JPEG compression? If he cranked up the compression too much than detail will be lost...
A Polaroid PDC700 will take pictures with lousy close up quality, while a Kodak DC3400 (God rest its soul) takes pretty good pictures all around.
Old 01-14-2002, 09:23 PM
www.drippinwet.com

What about JPEG compression?
yes detail would be lost, but not defined squares of color.
besides a service writer i work with photoshop most of "the rest of the day" (graphic designer on the side), now i'll be the first to admit that i could be wrong, i'm just showing things i noticed that don't have consistancy

Quick Reply: Cool Photo, Top Speed