Confusion on warranty with Comptech products

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 07:23 PM
Got a Job!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confusion on warranty with Comptech products

Ok...I have searched for this for hours, days, you name it, and I can't seem to find an answer. I know someone will be able to answer this quick, fast, and in a hurry. So here it is.

From what I've seen, people say that if you get CT products installed AT an Acura dealership, they warranty it (that is, if they follow Comptech products). Does this mean that if there were a problem with the product down the line, they warranty the product? Or, does it mean that if you have, say some engine problem, that they disregard the fact that you have a CT product in your car and warranty whatever the problem is?

Second off, what if you buy a CT product, get it installed ELSEWHERE, and say you have some kind of engine problem. Will they not warranty your car since they know you have a CT product in there, and THEY didn't install it?

Reason I ask is because most likely I'll be picking up a used CT header and allmotor said he'll install it for me for cheaper than what the dealer asks. However, I'll be keeping this car for the next 4-5 years, and if theres a problem down the road, I don't want the dealership to turn me down since they didn't install the header themselves. Catch my drift?

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2004, 07:46 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) ComptechUSA is an aftermarket brand that many dealers consider high quality and proven to work in Acura/Honda automobiles.

2) Acura/Honda does not make any aftermarket tuner parts themselves, nor do they endorse any particular brand.

3) Said endorsement is a moot point anyway -- unless they can prove an aftermarket part caused a problem, they are not supposed to negate the warranty. This is the intention of the Magnuson Moss Act.

4) Unfortunately, any dealer can do anything they want to do with respect to warranty. In some respects it's a crap shoot. There are posts here about people with all sorts of mods that got great dealer warranty service, and other posts about someone with springs that had an engine or transmission problem challenged.

5) You don't need to have the ComptechUSA part installed at a dealer -- that being said, a dealer will usually warrant their installation and if there is a problem related to the installation they'll likely cover it.

Bottom line -- install the part anywhere you want. You're car should be warrantied the same way regardless where the part is installed. As long as the installer is reputable (and I think that allmotor_2000 knows his way around the CL ) there should be no issue.

If you do have any questions about warranty and aftermarket parts, I'd ask your dealer what they think. S/he'll be more then happy to tell you.

Before I had my Comptech parts installed I asked my dealer's service manager if there would be any issues with Comptech parts. He said no, 'as Comptech is Honda certified'. I did not correct him and have not had an issue at the dealership. He said the only issues he has with mods are the ones that look home-made or put together with duct tape and string.